• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Cindro

I've been meaning to Soft-reset for shiny legends for awhile but my backlog keeps getting in the way. :[
Do you have the shiny charm? I'm wondering how many people who SR actually have that item.

I took inventory of my dex a couple days ago - I have every unobtainable (sans the two unreleased ones of course) and every legendary except Thundurus and Landorus (and those should be relatively easy to pick up). Overall dex is ~450. I could *probably* achieve my lifelong goal of having a living dex with another... 30 hours of playtime or so? I'm tempted, man. It has been something on my gamer bucket list since Gen I, and I've just never gotten around to going the full distance. Between AS, Y version, and the fine people on GAF though (and again, already having all of the unobtainables), I'm wondering if I should just go for it here.

If not though, I'm estimating I could get there by Gen VIII just through my normal process of catching a lot of 'mons through the single player campaign and then continuously bulk transferring everything to the next game. Z version -> Gen VII -> Remake -> Gen VII version 2 -> Remake -> Gen VIII... that's six games to fill in the holes in my dex through natural play.

The downside is that GameFreak will definitely remove the shiny charm as a reward and revert back to a useless certificate in the first game I actually pull it off in.

Junahu

Isn't Sleep the most broken status in the show? Falling asleep counts as being "unable to battle" and thus you automatically lose.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Isn't Sleep the most broken status in the show? Falling asleep counts as being "unable to battle" and thus you automatically lose.

Yeah Indigo was just flatout weird.

The time Charizard went to sleep against Sparky the Pikachu. Ritchie automatically won.

Not sure if that one entirely counts.

Nope different battle altogether. It was a shitty referee though.

The time Charizard went to sleep against Sparky the Pikachu. Ritchie automatically won.

Not sure if that one entirely counts.
Im pretty sure by the indigo league Charizard stopped being an asshole. I think the only reason he was an ass was cause he was like lv 80 and ash didnt have enough badges for him to listen.

Cindro

Speaking of PokéVision (Pokémon Television - just roll with it please), I watched Pokémon Origins again over the weekend and then the Genesect movie for the first time yesterday (since it was recently added to Netflix). The difference was depressingly stark - it's almost impossible for me to enjoy any normal PokéVision now since Origins set the bar so high with what I want out of the animé. What I wouldn't give for them to do a miniseries for each gen of games. Sigh :(

EDIT: I still live the first couple seasons, but it's impossible for me to determine if it's all nostalgia-based or whether or not the show was objectively better back then. Still, the select adventures from the past several hundred episodes that I've seen have done absolutely nothing for me. It's such a shame, too, because there's enough room in this world for Origin-esque stuff to pop up once a year or so in addition to the regular show.

Cindro

Oh boy - I was going through and checking my legendary count when I saw the OT for the Manaphy I got was "♂ ". I never owned Pokemon Ranger, and I can't remember if I got Manaphy through an event or in a trade. I'm trying to make sure all important 'mons in my dex are legit, though... what's the over/under on this one being hacked? Do I have plausible deniability here so I can continue believing I have all unobtainables?

Boss Doggie

Speaking of PokéVision (Pokémon Television - just roll with it please), I watched Pokémon Origins again over the weekend and then the Genesect movie for the first time yesterday (since it was recently added to Netflix). The difference was depressingly stark - it's almost impossible for me to enjoy any normal PokéVision now since Origins set the bar so high with what I want out of the animé. What I wouldn't give for them to do a miniseries for each gen of games. Sigh :(

EDIT: I still live the first couple seasons, but it's impossible for me to determine if it's all nostalgia-based or whether or not the show was objectively better back then. Still, the select adventures from the past several hundred episodes that I've seen have done absolutely nothing for me. It's such a shame, too, because there's enough room in this world for Origin-esque stuff to pop up once a year or so in addition to the regular show.

Watch XY it blows away Origins it's hilarious.

JoeM86

Origins was a couple of key 2 minute cutaways from what would be an entire saga. If you did the same of key points of say Ash's Sinnoh journey, or his Kalos one, it'd be of an equal, if not greater level.

Much of the Origins love is due to nostalgia, anyway

Boss Doggie

So yeah episode scans.

dat Florges Army holy shit, she commands a bunch of bugs from old gen + seviper, and she has dat ass

if she was anthropomorphic she'd be those femme fetalle german dominatrix dictator

Busaiku

Man, why doesn't anyone in the show use any hold items besides Mega Stones.
Ash definitely should've gotten those Macho Braces for training.

JoeM86

Man, why doesn't anyone in the show use any hold items besides Mega Stones.
Ash definitely should've gotten those Macho Braces for training.

DP337.jpg

season5_ep38_ss2.jpg

DP140.jpg

I saw a tweet which showed that the anime is already on the 6th gym? That's pretty fast, I wonder if that's indicative of any game releases or if they're just going to stretch it out from here on out.

Caladrius

Do you have the shiny charm? I'm wondering how many people who SR actually have that item.

I took inventory of my dex a couple days ago - I have every unobtainable (sans the two unreleased ones of course) and every legendary except Thundurus and Landorus (and those should be relatively easy to pick up). Overall dex is ~450. I could *probably* achieve my lifelong goal of having a living dex with another... 30 hours of playtime or so? I'm tempted, man. It has been something on my gamer bucket list since Gen I, and I've just never gotten around to going the full distance. Between AS, Y version, and the fine people on GAF though (and again, already having all of the unobtainables), I'm wondering if I should just go for it here.

If not though, I'm estimating I could get there by Gen VIII just through my normal process of catching a lot of 'mons through the single player campaign and then continuously bulk transferring everything to the next game. Z version -> Gen VII -> Remake -> Gen VII version 2 -> Remake -> Gen VIII... that's six games to fill in the holes in my dex through natural play.

The downside is that GameFreak will definitely remove the shiny charm as a reward and revert back to a useless certificate in the first game I actually pull it off in.

Yep. I have a full national dex (minus Keldeo and Victini). I don't think Shiny Charm affects the Shiny chance in friend safari and mystery portals, though

I'd go for it now, so when you have to collect new pokemon you'll just need to grab the regionals as opposed to wrestling with the question of getting everything all over again.

It's had the same function 2 gens in a row, which seems to indicate it's a keeper, so I wouldn't worry.

I saw a tweet which showed that the anime is already on the 6th gym? That's pretty fast, I wonder if that's indicative of any game releases or if they're just going to stretch it out from here on out.

Decolora 2: Electric Boogaloo

Brace yourself

Busaiku

It's been 1.5 years, that's not that fast.
Though Ash just beat Clemont, so there's still some time till the 6th gym.
It's not going as slow as Sinnoh, but it's about on pace with Hoenn, if not a bit slower.

Junahu

Oh man, I remember being soooo mad at this as a kid.

I don't get why Charmander turned on Ash to begin with, the dude was so friendly towards him and as soon as he evolved it was like he completely snapped into a new personality.
Considering that Pokemon can choose to not evolve because they want to remain as they are, I think there's something about evolution that actually changes their personality.

I don't get why Charmander turned on Ash to begin with, the dude was so friendly towards him and as soon as he evolved it was like he completely snapped into a new personality.

Charizard still cared for Ash, he just didn't respect him. It's why he didn't do shit initially during battles, but would go out of his way to save Ash's life.

OMG Aero

Charmander was originally someone else's Pokemon and when a Pokemon with a different original trainer gets too high levelled it stops obeying.

And if you want to go one step further you could say that the earth badge doesn't make Charizard obey because Ash didn't really beat the gym leader.

Daemul

People say Ash will battle Elite 4

People are delusional, Ash is nowhere near good enough to face the Elite 4 and he won't be for long time. We've never seen one of the Elite 4 lose to anyone other than the Champion for a damn good reason.

Charmander was originally someone else's Pokemon and when a Pokemon with a different original trainer gets too high levelled it stops obeying.

And if you want to go one step further you could say that the earth badge doesn't make Charizard obey because Ash didn't really beat the gym leader.

Nah, that bullshit is only in the games, having badges won't do shit for gaining a Pokemon's respect in the anime and real life, you actually have to earn it as a trainer and a person.

Ash in the OG series didn't deserve Charizards respect, he was an awful trainer, it was only in Johto when he was finally good enough to earn it.

Gonna start watching the XY anime when I SR for some good Suicune later. There seems to be a sub available so I guess only one question remains...

Sub or dub?

People are delusional, Ash is nowhere near good enough to face the Elite 4 and he won't be for long time. We've never seen one of the Elite 4 lose to anyone other than the Champion for a damn good reason.

Nah, that bullshit is only in the games, having badges won't do shit for gaining a Pokemon's respect in the anime and real life, you actually have to earn it as a trainer and a person.

Ash in the OG series didn't deserve Charizards respect, he was an awful trainer, it was only in Johto when he was finally good enough to earn it.
Well he did beat gary, who was the OG pokemon champion.

Nightbird

Ash is doing really good right now, well if we are ignoring the Goodra-Stuff.

HIs competence definetly rivals his Sinnoh one, and we knew what the writers had to pull there to make him lose.

So i wouldn't call people who think he can defeat the E4 delusional. It's going to be exciting for sure though.

QP3

I hope I don't derail any discussion going on, but in terms of the TCG, is there any love on GAF? Is this thread the best place for it or is there another OT? (searched but couldn't find one)

Top Bottom