• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Daemul

Ash is doing really good right now, well if we are ignoring the Goodra-Stuff.

HIs competence definetly rivals his Sinnoh one, and we knew what the writers had to pull there to make him lose.

So i wouldn't call people who think he can defeat the E4 delusional. It's going to be exciting for sure though.

Here's the thing, we've already seen what happens to Ash when he goes up against an Elite 4 member at his most competent, he's gets absolutely annihilated like he did against Flint, it wasn't even a contest, Infernape just wiped his Pokemon. Tobias was a joke opponent compared to Flint, Ash actually did something against him.

For Ash to get anywhere near the Elite Four, he's going to need a hell of a lot more than his Sinnoh competency, a hell of a lot more, Elite 4 members have been training for years and are far more experienced, far more skilled and far more competent than Ash is. The problem is the only way we will ever see Ash make the sort of progress he needs to be able to actually take on the Elite Four is if he ages, but nope, he's going to be a kid forever.

Anyway, we're getting ahead of ourselves since Ash actually hasn't even won any league yet, and we all know that he's going to lose to someone like Alan, and the salt from show watchers, including myself, will be glorious.

Well Ash did made a promise to Diantha...

Ash makes the exact same promises every new region and always comes up short, hell, we've been waiting nearly 20 years for him to fulfil his promise to win a league.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ash makes the exact same promises every new region and always comes up short, hell, we've been waiting nearly 20 years for him to fulfil his promise to win a league.

I don't think he has directly promised to a champion like that.

Didn't Ash promise to go back for Pidgeot? Ash's promise don't mean shit.

This is XY Ash though. He's like a different person altogether.

That one doesn't count. Just like Ash beating the Frontier Brains doesn't count.

If you think about it though, Ash beating Battle Frontier should really put him above everyone else since in the games the BF is much harder than the E4.

Caladrius

I hope I don't derail any discussion going on, but in terms of the TCG, is there any love on GAF? Is this thread the best place for it or is there another OT? (searched but couldn't find one)

A few of us here play (or at least collect in my case) the game.

Boss Doggie

seriously who would smell oils in a towel obviously covered with soot

pmpocket_monsters_xy_zqu4a.jpg

or a mega stone

pmpocket_monsters_xy_ebuqo.jpg

also this is kawaii

pmpocket_monsters_xy_6yuyx.jpg

Also I just realized Sycamore's Garchomp is a girl

Cindro

Watch XY it blows away Origins it's hilarious.

Origins was a couple of key 2 minute cutaways from what would be an entire saga. If you did the same of key points of say Ash's Sinnoh journey, or his Kalos one, it'd be of an equal, if not greater level.

Much of the Origins love is due to nostalgia, anyway

I watched two episodes of XY over the weekend because of these posts. The first was the most recent one listed on my cable provider's website - "Under the Pledging Tree". I don't want to offend the people who like XY, but I wasn't able to find any redeeming qualities.

Serena is clumsily crushing on Ash. Ash is obviously to her advances, and is also a really bad shopper. Everyone's Pokémon is far too excited about the crappy gifts they're receiving (a drawing, some berries, fashion accessories, and other things that weren't memorable enough to stick out). Serena's mom finds a dress that she hates and gives it to Serena because of reverse psychology (for Serena always dislikes the dresses that her mom is into, you see.) Team Rocket shows up for no real reason to steal the Pokémon presents and are defeated in about twenty seconds. All of the characters (Ash included) are as boring as ever, and the writing was painfully simple.

But okay - maybe not all side-adventure episodes are worthwhile. Maybe I need to give a different episode a shot!

To that end, I found one titled "The Secrets of Mega Evolution".

"Cool," I'm thinking to myself. "Mega evolution lore is something I'm interested in and don't quite fully grasp from the games - maybe this episode can shed some light!" [seriously - did the death machine from the Kalos War of 3,000 years create Mega Evolutions from its insane Pokémon-based energy output? I'm very fuzzy on the details and google searches haven't been much help]

The episode starts with Ash wanting to challenge a gym leader - unfortunately, the gym is an island unto itself and there's no boat to get there (too bad nobody at GameFreak ever had the idea of creating water Pokémon that you can surf on). Ash's friends reassure him, though - this just means there's more time for him to train! Then the gym leader comes up to Ash and co., talking about their upcoming battle. So Ash gets to more training by... dancing. Him and his Pokémon dance to drain. Then the dude with glasses busts out some medieval-looking torture device that Ash is strapped into - the goal being to make him a better dancer. It's not very effective...

Low tide comes in, revealing a sandbar path to the gym. When the group arrives, the gym leaders grandpa speaks of a scroll revealing secret insight into gym leaders - a scroll that none of them are allowed to see. "Hey, that's pretty neat," I foolishly think. "I'd love to see some type of official document that gym leaders must abide by - it would probably shed some interesting light on the gym leader-role within the Pokémon universe!"

Team rocket shows up to steal the scroll, they are once again easily defeated, and as thanks for staving off the baddies everyone gets to hear the scroll read aloud.

It contains such awesome entries as "Gym leaders must get up early!" and "Gym leaders must brush their teeth twice a day!" Wow, what great world-building!

So, yeah, that episode was awful too.

Did I just happen to pick two lousy episodes, or are those two good representations of the overall shows quality?

Joe - I'm not going to disagree that some of my Pokémon Origins love is nostalgia-based, but even so, I still found the characters, plot, and action far more compelling than what I saw in these two XY episodes.

I'm willing to give XY one more chance though, if anyone knows of a particularly sterling episode I should watch to see what the series is capable of.

JoeM86

I watched two episodes of XY over the weekend because of these posts. The first was the most recent one listed on my cable provider's website - "Under the Pledging Tree". I don't want to offend the people who like XY, but I wasn't able to find any redeeming qualities.

Serena is clumsily crushing on Ash. Ash is obviously to her advances, and is also a really bad shopper. Everyone's Pokémon is far too excited about the crappy gifts they're receiving (a drawing, some berries, fashion accessories, and other things that weren't memorable enough to stick out). Serena's mom finds a dress that she hates and gives it to Serena because of reverse psychology (for Serena always dislikes the dresses that her mom is into, you see.) Team Rocket shows up for no real reason to steal the Pokémon presents and are defeated in about twenty seconds. All of the characters (Ash included) are as boring as ever, and the writing was painfully simple.

But okay - maybe not all side-adventure episodes are worthwhile. Maybe I need to give a different episode a shot!

"Cool," I'm thinking to myself. "Mega evolution lore is something I'm interested in and don't quite fully grasp from the games - maybe this episode can shed some light!" [seriously - did the death machine from the Kalos War of 3,000 years create Mega Evolutions from its insane Pokémon-based energy output? I'm very fuzzy on the details and google searches haven't been much help]

The episode starts with Ash wanting to challenge a gym leader - unfortunately, the gym is an island unto itself and there's no boat to get there (too bad nobody at GameFreak ever had the idea of creating water Pokémon that you can surf on). Ash's friends reassure him, though - this just means there's more time for him to train! Then the gym leader comes up to Ash and co., talking about their upcoming battle. So Ash gets to more training by... dancing. Him and his Pokémon dance to drain. Then the dude with glasses busts out some medieval-looking torture device that Ash is strapped into - the goal being to make him a better dancer. It's not very effective...

Low tide comes in, revealing a sandbar path to the gym. When the group arrives, the gym leaders grandpa speaks of a scroll revealing secret insight into gym leaders - a scroll that none of them are allowed to see. "Hey, that's pretty neat," I foolishly think. "I'd love to see some type of official document that gym leaders must abide by - it would probably shed some interesting light on the gym leader-role within the Pokémon universe!"

Team rocket shows up to steal the scroll, they are once again easily defeated, and as thanks for staving off the baddies everyone gets to hear the scroll read aloud.

It contains such awesome entries as "Gym leaders must get up early!" and "Gym leaders must brush their teeth twice a day!" Wow, what great world-building!

Did I just happen to pick two lousy episodes, or are those two good representations of the overall shows quality?

Joe - I'm not going to disagree that some of my Pokémon Origins love is nostalgia-based, but even so, I still found the characters, plot, and action far more compelling than what I saw in these two XY episodes.

I'm willing to give XY one more chance though, if anyone knows of a particularly sterling episode I should watch to see what the series is capable of.

You picked two aggressively mediocre episodes haha

Cindro

Okay, okay - what is a standout episode (or even standout arc, if need be) I should watch then? I'm willing to give XY one more shot, because I could definitely use some more Pokémon in my life.

Busaiku

Well, those episodes are indicative of most of the series.
People just tend to focus on a select few episodes, or maybe a couple aspects common throughout most episodes.

But for the most part, it's just a marketing vehicle designed to keep the games on kods' minds.

JoeM86

Okay, okay - what is a standout episode (or even standout arc, if need be) I should watch then? I'm willing to give XY one more shot, because I could definitely use some more Pokémon in my life.

I'd say the Lumiose Gym battle or the threeMega Evolution side specials would be a good shout

Failing that, the Mega Evolution arc with Korrina and her Lucario (it's set before the one you watched) and the Shalour Gym match

Azuran

Banned
People just tend to focus on a select few episodes, or maybe a couple aspects common throughout most episodes.

But for the most part, it's just a marketing vehicle designed to keep the games on kods' minds.

Pretty much this. It's good by Pokemon standards but seriously don't expect much more than that. As its core, it's still pretty much the same show we been watching since 1998. As long as you don't go in expecting the show to be Monster like quality, you'll be fine.

The battle episodes are the best for obvious reason. Anything else is average at best.

Are we talking sub or dub here? I've been watching the sub because someone here recommended it over the dub and have enjoyed the 10 or so episodes I've watched quite a bit. I'm actually liking it quite a bit more than the episodes I watched when I was a youngster.

I checked out the dub just now though and like... No don't watch that. I usually like dubs more than subs but what I heard in this case killed my ears. No. No. Just no. Sorry but no.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm mad we're getting Eevee on the main cast.

I just find the Pokemon to extremely overused and boring. I mean, yeah, it has a fun gimmick, but design wise it doesn't really stand out much to me (I prefer the original 3 Eeveelutions easily the best, Sylveon is kind of cool for being a bit different I guess), and really that gimmick doesn't really do much for a single Eevee since it'll just evolve into a single form.

I'd rather Serena (who I bet gets it) had ended up with a Hoenn Starter.

Nightbird

Are we talking sub or dub here? I've been watching the sub because someone here recommended it over the dub and have enjoyed the 10 or so episodes I've watched quite a bit. I'm actually liking it quite a bit more than the episodes I watched when I was a youngster.

I checked out the dub just now though and like... No don't watch that. I usually like dubs more than subs but what I heard in this case killed my ears. No. No. Just no. Sorry but no.

I'm always talking Subs. Also, don't try to watch it weekly. You'll get bored fast. There some Situations where shit goes down (As much as it is possible on the Scale for the Pokémon Series), if you watch it then it becomes pretty hype.

For example Ash vs. Clemont has been one of the greatest Battles in the Main Series in my Opinion.

As one Poster said before, come for the Battles, and you will not be disappointed, even if you use Origins as Scale. The rest is pretty much business as usual, but this is to be expected, since we are not talking about a 4 Episodes Miniseries, but about a Series that has to Run as long as it needs to promote the according Games, wich is why it will likey end up being a 100+ Episode Series again.

It just needs to evolve into Flareon and we'll be good to go.

No, we don't want something with less of an use than Fletchinder.

--------------------------------------

I dunno what expectations everyone's coming in with watching the anime here. It's first and foremost a kids anime and one made to sell merchandise.

The fact that it has been extremely enjoyable, the characters are actually developing and we are actually getting a budget for the show makes it stands out from the lackluster Black and White series.

Boss Doggie

why are you watching random episodes? what are you doing?

that was one of the meh episodes, also are you watching the dub? watch the subbed version

watch it for fights, and for pokemon-centric eps

Pretty much this. It's good by Pokemon standards but seriously don't expect much more than that. As its core, it's still pretty much the same show we been watching since 1998. As long as you don't go in expecting the show to be Monster like quality, you'll be fine.

The battle episodes are the best for obvious reason. Anything else is average at best.

Agreed, it's better than typical Pokemon stuff but it's still a Pokemon-related show.

With that said it's leaps and bounds better than Origins.

lupinko

Yep, still lots of slots left, and only until 04/23 2359 JST.

----------------------------------------
All entrants can quote this portion and add your name and numbers to it if you don't send a pm to me.

Entrants (Cap: 36)
Professor Beef 24,42,52,110
ColtraineGF 28,48,80,114
PreyingShark 1,2,3,4
Jotamide 72, 148, 22, 98
Zedreamcast 7, 19, 27 , 94
Ahnez 17, 43, 97, 131
AsianOni 11, 34, 74, 111
Faenix1 27, 46, 82, 147
Refyref 75, 30, 13, 96
Bankoiia 12, 64, 112, 124
MasterSheen 25, 50, 125, 150
kyo2004 44, 87, 24, 57
CrimsonN0 19, 29, 53, 151
Syntsui 8, 49, 69, 99
Jo Shishido's Cheeks 36, 59, 63, 95
CassSept 6, 18, 115, 85

Firestorm

There is honestly way too much good television available and other ways to enjoy the Pokemon franchise to justify watching the Pokemon anime these days imo.

Boss Doggie

The only reason I am interested in XY is finally seeing Ash be actually not a shit (well, there's DP, but it's a bit too much filler for me) and is the big brother of the group for once.

Anyway

14a.gif

tumblr_nmx3xmeCYB1r2en1ko4_540.gif

Oh and Sycamore says Pikachu can't mega-evolve since he isn't a Raichu. Possible a wink wink nudge nudge

JoeM86

There is honestly way too much good television available and other ways to enjoy the Pokemon franchise to justify watching the Pokemon anime these days imo.

Just because there are other ways doesn't mean that one of the ways is no longer valid. Afterall, it's not like there are other ways to sit and watch a Pokémon story.
Maybe people want to watch it, especially as the battles are so amazingly done these days. It's not like the old days where it cut to a Pokémon using a move on a classically anime moving background.

So judgemental.

lupinko

The only reason I am interested in XY is finally seeing Ash be actually not a shit (well, there's DP, but it's a bit too much filler for me) and is the big brother of the group for once.

Anyway

14a.gif

tumblr_nmx3xmeCYB1r2en1ko4_540.gif

Oh and Sycamore says Pikachu can't mega-evolve since he isn't a Raichu. Possible a wink wink nudge nudge

That's ok because Pikachu will mega evolve into Mega Yzardchu or Mega Salarymanchu.

I guess you can't beat perfection. I wonder if they'll try again a third time.

I'm willing to bet the members of my dream team (Togekiss, Ambipom, Samurott and Reuniclus) won't get one in XY2 either. While it would be nice for Samurott and Ambipom to make them better, I'm happy with Lucario.

I guess you can't beat perfection. I wonder if they'll try again a third time.

I'm willing to bet the members of my dream team (Togekiss, Ambipom, Samurott and Reuniclus) won't get one in XY2 either. While it would be nice for Samurott and Ambipom to make them better, I'm happy with Lucario.

I think the Gen V starters will be saved either for a remake or the first game in a generation. I could see them holding onto Togekiss and Ambipom till the next generation and Reuniclus is really a wild card as for when they might do it, I do think we'll see a fair amount of Gen V Megas in Z/XY2 though.

I think the Gen V starters will be saved either for a remake or the first game in a generation. I could see them holding onto Togekiss and Ambipom till the next generation and Reuniclus is really a wild card as for when they might do it, I do think we'll see a fair amount of Gen V Megas in Z/XY2 though.

Yeah, I think you're right. Although I don't care for remakes, DP and BW are ones I would actually look forward to. The DS generation is by far my favourite one.

Top Bottom