• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Yeah, I think you're right. Although I don't care for remakes, DP and BW are ones I would actually look forward to. The DS generation is by far my favourite one.

And hopefully by the time we get to DP and BW remakes Pokemon will have nice celshading not unlike Ni No Kuni, which would make the jump for those remakes awesome.

Cindro

Alright, I've decided to give the mega evolution side-series from XY a go. I'll check out the subbed version too - if anyone knows a good place to find the subbed version online? And that story arc is only 3 episodes or something, right? I can commit to that, definitely.

In other news, I think I royally screwed up my Umbreon. I thought this strategy would be neat:

Swagger to confuse them
Mean Look so they can't escape
Screech to lower defense
Moonlight (and Leftovers) to heal

Keep raising attack through swagger and lowering defense with screech, so when they confusedly attack themselves they'll take massive damage. It sounded like a brilliantly annoying strategy - until I spent the couple hours breeding and EV training and leveling up to try it in battle.

The RNG Gods kept laughing in my face. My opponents never attacked themselves, but did in fact eventually knock me out through their boosted attack stat.

I knew I should have gone with the wish/curse set!

Busaiku

The Mega Evolution stuff is dumb.

Also, Klefki's probably the best Pokemon for that kind of strategy.
Can basically do all of that, but gets priority.

Nightbird

The only reason I am interested in XY is finally seeing Ash be actually not a shit (well, there's DP, but it's a bit too much filler for me) and is the big brother of the group for once.

Anyway

14a.gif

tumblr_nmx3xmeCYB1r2en1ko4_540.gif

Oh and Sycamore says Pikachu can't mega-evolve since he isn't a Raichu. Possible a wink wink nudge nudge

I'd laugh so hard if Mega-Raichu looked more like Pickachu

Azuran

Banned
All the Pikachu clones should mega evolve and morph together Megazord style. However, you're going to need to have all 6 of them in your party at the same time for that to work.

In other news, I think I royally screwed up my Umbreon. I thought this strategy would be neat:

Swagger to confuse them
Screech to lower defense

Keep raising attack through swagger and lowering defense with screech, so when they confusedly attack themselves they'll take massive damage. It sounded like a brilliantly annoying strategy - until I spent the couple hours breeding and EV training and leveling up to try it in battle.

The RNG Gods kept laughing in my face. My opponents never attacked themselves, but did in fact eventually knock me out through their boosted attack stat.

I knew I should have gone with the wish/curse set!
Yeah you want to go with some sort of damage that isn't just confusion. Maybe replace Screech or Moonlight with Toxic? You could also just go with the standard set, it works pretty well.

If you do though, I have to warn you. Gengar @Black Sludge Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Disable/Substitute has never lost a fight again Umbreon that I've seen. Don't think the Ghost weakness to Payback is enough, so many people fell for that in gen 5 and 6 that I lost count.

Cindro

Yeah you want to go with some sort of damage that isn't just confusion. Maybe replace Screech or Moonlight with Toxic? You could also just go with the standard set, it works pretty well.

If you do though, I have to warn you. Gengar @Black Sludge Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Disable/Substitute has never lost a fight again Umbreon that I've seen. Don't think the Ghost weakness to Payback is enough, so many people fell for that in gen 5 and 6 that I lost count.
Aye - maybe I will throw toxic on there. Lower defenses doesn't equate to more poison damage, right? So screech wouldn't give any additional benefit to me with the target being poisoned? Though it still pairs really nicely with Swagger - maybe Moonlight gets the axe. It only has 5 pp anyway (such a joke). Then I can also make a wish/payback/curse/??? Umbreon later, as there's room enough in my life for two of the best Eeveelution.

That Gengar set seems fierce. I've still yet to get into battling online randoms, though - I normally create three or four EV trained Pokémon each game but then burn out before I complete a full team. The upshot is that I now have about 20 EV trained 'mons from over the years - the downside is that, now that I know more about what I'm doing (and even that is questionable re: my current Umbreon build), I go back and look at some of my earlier trained Pokémon and realize they're not optimized the way they should be.

Maybe I'll finally hit the online turf in Z version! Or - how active is the GAF Pokémon battle scene?

Cindro

Wait a minute! In a moment of Poké-lucidity, I think I figured out how to fix my Umbreon.

Replace leftovers with toxic orb, replace screech with heal bell, replace mean look with foul play.

Turn 1 I use swagger and get badly poisoned at the end of the turn. Synchronize ability poisons enemy. Next turn I use heal bell to cure myself. After that use foul play since Swagger has already boosted the opponent's attack.

But then the enemy could switch out at any point and ruin my setup. Maybe I keep Mean Look and discard Moonlight? But then Umbreon doesn't have any healing moves!

What to do, what to do

Hey guys, quick question hope this is the right place.

I got my spring 2015 Darkrai code but not happy with the nature. If i went to the store and got another code, could i get a second Darkrai on the same save slot?

lupinko

Hey guys, quick question hope this is the right place.

I got my spring 2015 Darkrai code but not happy with the nature. If i went to the store and got another code, could i get a second Darkrai on the same save slot?

Depends on the distribution, usually the answer is only one Wondercard of said code per save.

The only ones exempt were Japanese movie Darkrai 2014 and Arceus 2015. You can try though, it doesn't hurt. Worse case is getting someone to redeem it for you.

backlot

Wait a minute! In a moment of Poké-lucidity, I think I figured out how to fix my Umbreon.

Replace leftovers with toxic orb, replace screech with heal bell, replace mean look with foul play.

Turn 1 I use swagger and get badly poisoned at the end of the turn. Synchronize ability poisons enemy. Next turn I use heal bell to cure myself. After that use foul play since Swagger has already boosted the opponent's attack.

But then the enemy could switch out at any point and ruin my setup. Maybe I keep Mean Look and discard Moonlight? But then Umbreon doesn't have any healing moves!

What to do, what to do

Pretty sure Toxic Orb would just Poison you again after you use Heal Bell.

Junahu

Swagger to confuse them
Screech to lower defense

The RNG Gods kept laughing in my face. My opponents never attacked themselves, but did in fact eventually knock me out through their boosted attack stat
It's hard to see Mean Look pulling any weight. It doesn't stop U-turn or Volt Switch, important pivot moves that teams tend to have. It no longer traps ghost types. You also need the turn to set it up, which opponents can use to bring in a counter for free.

I'm fairly certain that Synchronise works by inflicting the status on the pokemon who inflicted it on Umbreon. So in this case, it wouldn't poison the foe, because they didn't poison you.

I'm not well versed on 1v1 play, but I imagine something like this would be the closest you'd get to a swagger set;

(Leftovers)
Swagger
Foul Play
Wish/Toxic
Protect

What to do, what to do
I run an umbreon on my team

I use
leftovers
Wish
Protect
Foul Play
Baton pass/heal bell.

Its a pretty good tank and with protect you guarentee a wish comes out and it just annoys people.
Im not sure right now if heal bell will work on my team with my Gliscor running toxic orb tho. Baton pass is to make easy wish switch ins. Just make sure the opponents faster and you survive.

TomShoe

Banned
Fairy is such a good type right now.

Another reason why Aegislash should come back whole hog.

Bringing him back but banning KS is just silly. The "50/50 coinflip" excuse I hear so often is just a poor excuse for people that don't know how to read an opposing player.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Holy fuck today's episode was intense, and I like how it's "humans should not interfere with matters involving Pokemon only".

also fuck, next episode... dat preview

too much feels ;_;

Depends on the distribution, usually the answer is only one Wondercard of said code per save.

The only ones exempt were Japanese movie Darkrai 2014 and Arceus 2015. You can try though, it doesn't hurt. Worse case is getting someone to redeem it for you.

Thanks for the help - i went to the store and got myself another Darkrai code (and a Shiny Charizard code too - bonus!)

Unfortunately the Darkrai code didn't work as i already had it. If anyone is missing a Darkrai for their collection and wants the code feel free to get in touch with me (if you wouldn't mind swapping for my existing one that would be even better).

Hi everyone, I'm new, and I have been a big Pokemon fan. I was burnt out of the series for a little while, but since the release of X and Y, I've returned to the series.

I generally enjoy training and battling, but today I became disheartened. My "perfect" event diancie wasn't so perfect after all. It is missing that 31 IV in speed D': I spent hours soft resetting in omega ruby

Junahu

Hi everyone, I'm new, and I have been a big Pokemon fan. I was burnt out of the series for a little while, but since the release of X and Y, I've returned to the series.

I generally enjoy training and battling, but today I became disheartened. My "perfect" event diancie wasn't so perfect after all. It is missing that 31 IV in speed D': I spent hours soft resetting in omega ruby
How much lower is the speed IV? At lv50, it takes 2 IVs to gain 1 point in a stat. So an IV of 30 is the same as 31.

Junahu

On the bright side, 31/31/31/31/31/30 means hidden power ice...

...which is useless on something that gets Moonblast and Diamond Storm

... you can ohko Gliscor I guess?

On the bright side, 31/31/31/31/31/30 means hidden power ice...

...which is useless on something that gets Moonblast and Diamond Storm

... you can ohko Gliscor I guess?

It has less then non perfect IV's for hp and special defense since I cared less for those stats since it was supposed to be my naive Mega Diancie. It is just those speed IV that kills me...so close :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No one is posting in the Pokken event hype for Sunday.

Looks like I'll go to /vp/ and /v/ for the hype.

Busaiku

The Pikachu animations are awful.
Makes me wanna vomit.

I bought Super Smash Bros and I don't play, but I'm probably not gonna buy this.

Top Bottom