• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

lupinko

Thanks for the help - i went to the store and got myself another Darkrai code (and a Shiny Charizard code too - bonus!)

Unfortunately the Darkrai code didn't work as i already had it. If anyone is missing a Darkrai for their collection and wants the code feel free to get in touch with me (if you wouldn't mind swapping for my existing one that would be even better).

Just ask someone here with a PAL game that can redeem it for you.

JoeM86

Haven't posted this on my site since I'm unsure how much it'll pertain to games. It's almost certain to be merchandise

Anyway, on March 23rd, Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. filed for a trademark in Japan which got published on Saturday. This trademark is ポケでるガチャ PokéDeruGacha.

Almost certainly a Gachapon vending machine of some sort. We'll see soon.

Following up from this, we've got word that this is merchandise (thank god). A special gacha machine from Takara Tomy coming out July 18th for 5,378 Yen

Such a relief. Though it was bound to be that, it's good to have confirmation it wasn't some damned smartphone or 3DS free to play thing
"An LCD game with a vending machine dial on the back. In the LCD game, you gather coins to get Pokemon. If you find the correct combination of 3 coins, Pokemon will come out of the vending machine. There's 100 Pokemon in all. The combination of 3 coins depend on the Pokemon. By using the camera scanner on the back, you can scan special coin codes and get coins. The game is played together with arcade cabinets in stores (via infrared)"

Pokken is so anti-hype.

The Pikachu animations are awful.
Makes me wanna vomit.

I bought Super Smash Bros and I don't play, but I'm probably not gonna buy this.

78d9404548d72960a29be1ba563fac9eda2a298f15fc2160cfd113bbaa6aba1d.jpg

Cindro

Thanks for the tips from the couple of you that tried to help me sort out my Umbreon fiasco. I am U
m
fortunately thinking I just need to take the poor lass behind the shed and put a bullet in her, so to speak. She doesn't deserve the type of humiliation she's going to receive when the RNG Gods turn their fickle noses up at her.

I've already started on a proper Wish/Curse set Umbreon. Hopefully that one fares better.

In other news, I... uh... started XY from the beginning and am now on episode... *gulp*... nine.

I've lost far too much control of my life at this point to type anything coherent about why I'm doing this, or my thoughts on the show in general, but maybe once I accept my masochism I'll be able to articulate this a bit better.

Cindro

Has anyone here bought anything from the Pokémon Center website - and if so, were you happy with your purchase? I'm thinking of buying a plus, but it's hard to tell the quality of the build from the pictures alone.

This image...

41XbQnQ1idL._SS68_.jpg

... does not scream "I'm worth the $23 (before shipping and tax) asking price!"

But I need some more Pokédecor in my life.

EDIT: That image came out far too small. Click for the full size.

Busaiku

Spent about $300 there.
I got standard size (6-8 inch) plushies mostly, but they're all wonderful.
They feel so good, and generally look great (at least for stuff like Pikachus).

Cindro

Excellent to know - I'm glad to hear it's not just full of products that are shoddy cash grabs

I'm on the site now -- my goal is to not buy anything before falling asleep (likelihood of success is minimal)

On one hand, this is exactly what I was expecting Goodra's character arc to end up being.

Though, I really expected it to have happened at the fairy gym.

I just wish it wasn't so soon ;_;

Cindro

Man - watching these streams of the Baltimore riots sure is depressing from just about every angle. This is the *perfect* time to continue my saga of self-hatred by watching the next XY show - "Kindergarten Chaos!"

I'm sure I, as a 25 year-old male living on my own, will find plenty to relate with in a twenty minute cartoon about children ages 5 - 6 within the Pokémon universe.

Will little Jimmy's mom pack the turkey sandwich he loves so much, or will J have to suffer through another afternoon of PB&J torment? Will tiny Sally continue to get picked on for needing a stepping-stool to reach the drinking fountain? Will the gym coach Mr. Stevens finally face those pending felony charges?

The nuanced narrative possibilities have my head reeling. Can't wait.

KdylanR92

Been trying to use Mega-Houndoom online lately and it hasn't been working out all that great:[

On the other hand defensive Arcanine is awesome:]

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I never fear Goodra leaving since this isn't Pidgeot and Butterfree tier. How dare people compare Goodra's arc to those? Them leaving was abrupt.

Pokemon discussion not related to games (or slightly related to games) outside of PokeGAF sometimes scare me.

If this thread isn't the place for speculating on the potential plot threads of Kindergarten-based Pokémon episodes, which thread is?

I don't remember a kindergarten episode in XY.

Cindro

Yeah dakkumauji, that's the one.

Man, this is the umpteenth time I've seen people saying the subbed version is superior than the dubbed version. I've been working under the assumption that the only difference between the two was the voice acting - but is the dialogue different/better written too? I just figured it would be a direct translation when the episodes were localized.

Is the subbed version available to watch online anywhere?

Busaiku

The dialogue is largely the same.
4Kids took more liberties, but Pokemon keeps it closer.
Of course there are a few differences for more natural dialogue (as much as possible), but not enough for a vastly different experience beyond the voices.

Music is changed though, which is big.
Don't like the Japanese cast and names myself, so I stick to English.

Boss Doggie

don't you mean subbed version is superior than dubbed version

anyway it's mostly due to how terrible TPCi does the dubbing, like there's lifelessness and lack of care

here's a comparison using Mega Gardevoir reveal

original
dubbed

Cindro

I did mean subbed, yeah. And wow, the subbed version was already way better in those clips you posted, even without subtitles. Why on earth would they change that awesome music for the English version? Crazy stuff - I'll definitely check a few of the subbed episodes out.

I'm sure I'll still mainly opt for English, though - I've been putting these on in the background and only passively watching them while doing something else. Needing to stay alert and engaged via reading for 20 minutes is more than I'd be able to handle on a long-term basis.

Azuran

Banned
I did mean subbed, yeah. And wow, the subbed version was already way better in those clips you posted, even without subtitles. Why on earth would they change that awesome music for the English version? Crazy stuff - I'll definitely check a few of the subbed episodes out.

I'm sure I'll still mainly opt for English, though - I've been putting these on in the background and only passively watching them while doing something else. Needing to stay alert and engaged via reading for 20 minutes is more than I'd be able to handle on a long-term basis.

Honestly, I don't mind the dub voices that much. What annoys me is that they keep changing some of the music for some reason which is what truly brings the hype. Japanese melodrama is always nice and all, but I don't miss it as much.

I don't mind either subbed or dubbed episodes. I do wish however that the anime had more ridiculous episodes like my all time favorite Holy Matrimony.

brinstar

don't you mean subbed version is superior than dubbed version

anyway it's mostly due to how terrible TPCi does the dubbing, like there's lifelessness and lack of care

here's a comparison using Mega Gardevoir reveal

original
dubbed

It's not even a contest. Why would they change the BGM for that scene, that song is literally FROM the games!

You know, I've been thinking, with Pokemon's 20th anniversary coming up next year...

Have we heard anything about Satoshi Tajiri? I find it strange that we haven't heard anything about this guy in years considering he's the creator of Pokemon.

You know, I've been thinking, with Pokemon's 20th anniversary coming up next year...

Have we heard anything about Satoshi Tajiri? I find it strange that we haven't heard anything about this guy in years considering he's the creator of Pokemon.

From what I remember Satoshi Tajiri likes to keep out of the spotlight of the media. He seems to be a lot more reserved.

Boss Doggie

Yeah I never understood why songs they legitimately own are never brought over. I really doubt it's a licensing thing.

Yeah I never understood why songs they legitimately own are never brought over. I really doubt it's a licensing thing.

I think music licensing is more complicated than what many people think in reality

Almost every change has a reason why, even if a bit out there, judging from my experience with other localised media.

Daemul

I wasn't crying because Goodra left, I was crying because Goodra got fucked. He got roped into taking care of somebody else's kid.

RIP Goodra.

Ah well, the upside is that the annoying as fuck dude on /vp/ can shut up about Goodra being a girl. Dude has been spamming his shit for weeks.

Boss Doggie

I wasn't crying because Goodra left, I was crying because Goodra got fucked. He roped into taking care of somebody else's kid.

RIP Goodra.

Ah well, the upside is that the annoying as fuck dude on /vp/ can shut up about Goodra being a girl. Dude has been spamming his shit for weeks.

which is hilarious because Goodra in the anime is a boy and that shipping with florges and her daughter

also I'm laughing at the sudden ship tease, like it was out of the blue... so deliberate there, writers!

spiritfox

Because there isn't much happening right now, and if there is something new, a new thread is made where the topic will be discussed to death.

Also a reason is the small number of regulars in this thread.

The game OTs are where all the trading and battling happens anyway, so this thread is basically anime posts and random stuff.

I think we'd be good enough for a few more months. This happens to be a quiet period when we're in between mainline releases, so there's not as much attention.

Top Bottom