• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As someone who has seen every dubbed episode of Pokémon save for the last three or four (I record them and then watch them with a friend who comes by every month or two, we've seen the whole series this way.) and just about every subbed episode too I must reiterate how shocked I am by the total quality uptake of this series. The writing is better, the animation is improved greatly (it's still rough most of the time, but way better than it ever was) even the audio quality has been expanded upon. Keeps getting better as it goes along.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pokémon desperately needs a hard mode. And a maniac mode. Maybe invasions, though it does kinda have the world's friendliest invasions in Gen VI.

lupinko

Yep, the topic is definitely cringeworthy. But funny enough, it made me play Pokemon Black from the beginning. Even though it's only been a few years, I worried that my "nostalgia glasses" might've been blinding me and maybe the game isn't as good as I thought it was.

I think I like Black/White even more than when I first played it. After playing Pokemon X/Y I really like characters like Bianca, Cheren and N. I love seeing the Gym Leaders out and about. Yeah, the story does have its flaws, but I really wish they would put more effort into future titles. This definitely makes me realize what I enjoy in a Pokemon game. Unova is pretty damn good too. I wish they'd make a region based on Toronto but I have a feeling that Unova is as close as we'll ever get.

Well they did make a region based on Vancouver
it was anime only though.

But yeah I'd say Unova is my favourite region, haters be damned. Thanks to rich Texans we got the PWT going too. Which is one of my favourite post game challenges since it's all bragging rights.

spiritfox

All games should be like games I like because I won't play them otherwise. And also put them on whatever system I have because fuck economics.

In other words, fuck you, I want my thing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Don't forget that it should play like a specific game even though it's shittier than Pokemon

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK WHY NI NO KUNI FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

THIS IS EVEN WORSE THAN SUGGESTING POKEMON SHOULD PLAY LIKE YOUKAI WATCH

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm almost done with SoulSilver and if Joe is correct we might not get a Pokemon game this year. Should I go and play one of the Gen V games to tidy me over? Or wait a bit to avoid franchise fatigue? This year alone I would be clocking around 120 hours between X, AS, and SS. Gen V is the only one gen I'm missing and I always hear nothing but praise for B&W.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm almost done with SoulSilver and if Joe is correct we might not get a Pokemon game this year. Should I go and play one of the Gen V games to tidy me over? Or wait a bit to avoid franchise fatigue? This year alone I would be clocking around 120 hours between X, AS, and SS. Gen V is the only one gen I'm missing and I always hear nothing but praise for B&W.

B&W are really good. B2&W2 are even better.

If you hadn't already played X the BW experience would have been really cool as it does something that hadn't happened since gen 1; it made all of the pokémon in the game before the credits roll completely new.

Yeah that too, what kind of story can they tell? Pokemon is always meant for the child demo and not the manchilds.

You're not going to get a gritty Pokemon cmon now. Lol

Also the reduction of Pokemon and removal of IVs, natures, etc. is just laughably bad.

Basically they just want the original game boy games. Which even when I as a kid got quickly bored of (and as an adult even more so bored of even with nostalgia glasses), mainly due to how barebones and limited it was.

Edit: Also the console argument, they tried two decent games in Colosseum and XD. Both games even had incentives (non glitched gen 3 beasts, special moves for Lugia, Zapdos, etc). Neither game drew in that demographic that they're claiming wants a console game.

My point on story was that BW had a pretty good story that was praised, but many in that thread act like Pokemon plots haven't evolved past Gen I. XY is a little light on story with the exception of the back story of the war, and that was because they wanted it to be a more "happy experience"... even though the plot dump of the war was the most depressing thing in the series, lol.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The story in XY just isn't interesting. I also hate the constant interaction with the companions. B2W2 wasn't great either. ORAS is pretty good on its story bits. BW was my favorite in the series.

spiritfox

B/W goes interesting places with the story, but it's still the standard 8 gyms, so if you are tired of that you might want to come back to it in a later date. You must play it once just to see how the Pokemon format can be subverted well though.

JoeM86

Pokémon desperately needs a hard mode. And a maniac mode. Maybe invasions, though it does kinda have the world's friendliest invasions in Gen VI.

Thing is, with Challenge Mode in Black 2, if you went through it from the beginning, even with increased AI, levels and even different teams for some characters, after you went with the initial shock to the system at the start, you levelled up at a similar rate to them again and once again start rolling over them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thing is, with Challenge Mode in Black 2, if you went through it from the beginning, even with increased AI, levels and even different teams for some characters, after you went with the initial shock to the system at the start, you levelled up at a similar rate to them again and once again start rolling over them.

Yep, I did just this. The first gym is also very weak in that game, especially compared to the monster trio in BW1. The real solution would involve giving the AI big advantages.

JoeM86

Yep, I did just this. The first gym is also very weak in that game, especially compared to the monster trio in BW1. The real solution would involve giving the AI big advantages.

Even then...the greatest trainer with crap Pokémon can't necessarily win.

Yeah there's the argument I have for unusual strategies (and my team is a mishmash of those right now, but they surprisingly work), but no AI can do well with a Herdier.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Lumiose City sucks. I still have to go back in X/Y to get a bunch of things in the post game, including the final O Power, and I'm dreading it.

At least Megas have broken the whole BP grind wide open. I'm guessing it'll take me less time to get everything I need out of them than it did in gen V.

JoeM86

Lumiose City sucks. I still have to go back in X/Y to get a bunch of things in the post game, including the final O Power, and I'm dreading it.

At least Megas have broken the whole BP grind wide open. I'm guessing it'll take me less time to get everything I need out of them than it did in gen V.

Even though it was fixed within two weeks, I still don't save outside in Lumiose City

Busaiku

tfLc7Ri.png
RIP Mawile

Boss Doggie

dunno mawile seems fine, though I would pay to see Valerie talk kucheat

Oh yeah this lol

pmpocket_monsters_xy_7lous.jpg

All while Ash is staring blankly at furisode Serena lol

I'm thinking about making a RTTP to X/Y to balance the negativity, should i go for it?

Personally while I think XY has a lot of room of improvement, it's a very nice "intro" game of sorts for gen VI in general, and I am optimistic enough to see the third version/sequel be good.

Refyref

The XY anime seems like they just said screw it and gave the fans all the pokes they wanted. Maybe I should watch it.

And with what you all are saying about that thread, it seems like I better not go into it...

Boss Doggie

Also a point I like is how mature XY Ash is. If OS Ash was in the same situation, he'd complain about it, whine about doing girly stuff, etc.

The XY anime seems like they just said screw it and gave the fans all the pokes they wanted. Maybe I should watch it.

And with what you all are saying about that thread, it seems like I better not go into it...

watch it subbed

Refyref

Also a point I like is how mature XY Ash is. If OS Ash was in the same situation, he'd complain about it, whine about doing girly stuff, etc.

watch it subbed

Based on that music comparision posted a while back, there is no way I wouldn't. Although I hate the fact that subs use the Japanese names. :\

Well it's mostly for consistency. They use English for attack names though.

I understand why they keep the names of the human characters untranslated as they would not know the names of the characters in the dub until months later but nowadays, I don't see why they leave the names of Pokémon untranslated, seeing as the main series games release at roughly the same time worldwide.

Boss Doggie

That was a really good ep. Also pretty surprising outcome too. Imagine if you can do shit like destroy Trick Room with attacks?

HAWLUCHA WILL PIERCE THE PSYCHIC TYPES!

This shot was amazing

Nnf83S8.png

Anyway

aj0o21i.png

Yeah this looks more like a schoolgirl carrying a picture of your crush than anything else... and it's from a boy in Hoenn!

Also future eps

Kinj28Y.jpg

Gatchachu and

HOLY FUCKING SHIT SERENA'S LOVE RIVAL IS BACK!

So as I've said before (and others have too) I hate how washed out the Pokemon models are in Gen VI and wished they had more vibrant colors like previous gens.
I got bored and did this.
CA7fENO.png

It was actually fun because I had to edit the colors of each section separately and figure out what the best way was to edit the color. I kind wanna do more, any requests?
Images are from Serebii, hope that's okay Joe...

So as I've said before (and others have too) I hate how washed out the Pokemon models are in Gen VI and wished they had more vibrant colors like previous gens.
I got bored and did this.
CA7fENO.png

It was actually fun because I had to edit the colors of each section separately and figure out what the best way was to edit the color. I kind wanna do more, any requests?
Images are from Serebii, hope that's okay Joe...

The only thing I've noticed is that the current art style used for the 3D models don't really go well once you cranked up the saturation.

Perhaps they intentionally toned them all down for a reason.

The only thing I've noticed is that the current art style used for the 3D models don't really go well once you cranked up the saturation.

Perhaps they intentionally toned them all down for a reason.

That's why I didn't just turn the saturation up, I had to go in and change a lot of the colors.
I think they look much better with the more vibrant colors.

MegaMelon

9789a323b6.jpg

fc692ffcc0.jpg

Guys, does this look like a legitimate European copy to you?

Looks good. Best way to check is to start her up. If you get a dodgy message at the start (not the internal battery running dry one) then that's usually a pretty definite indication. To be extra sure you could try transferring pokemon to a gen 4 game. If it works you know you're all good.

Andrefpvs

Looks good. Best way to check is to start her up. If you get a dodgy message at the start (not the internal battery running dry one) then that's usually a pretty definite indication. To be extra sure you could try transferring pokemon to a gen 4 game. If it works you know you're all good.

Thanks! The thing is, this is a copy I'm looking to buy from someone else, so I can't test it. And it's so hard to find a legitimate copy of this game online, so I'm trying to figure out as much as I can from the photo.

In theory, the manual should be a good indication, I don't think most bootleg copies of Emerald include manuals.

That's why I didn't just turn the saturation up, I had to go in and change a lot of the colors.
I think they look much better with the more vibrant colors.

Nah. Blastoise still looks like he had a fight with the palette and lost. The Venusaur looks a bit too cyan, too.

I think it's actually an interesting thing in how messing around with colours can give you a less-than-satisfactory result, even if you're trying to match up with a reference.

Nah. Blastoise still looks like he had a fight with the palette and lost. The Venusaur looks a bit too cyan, too.

I think it's actually an interesting thing in how messing around with colours can give you a less-than-satisfactory result, even if you're trying to match up with a reference.
I brightened up Blastoise a bit and made Venusaur's skin a little bit more green, looks a lot nice to me now, thanks for the input.
NXapZck.png

Boss Doggie

Also apparently the reason the 3DS main games lag a lot is because of the models of Pokemon. Rather than downscaling them, apparently GF kept the polygon count, and it's high as fuck (they wanted the models to be used for future games).

Top Bottom