• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

harmonize

Well innovations not just for the sequels but for the games themselves--151 and the Dex were absolutely innovations for newcomers in Gen I.
In the same way that 100 was an innovation for Gen II, 156 for Gen V, and so on; I'd imagine that those numbers weren't include because "Pokedex" seemed to better relay that message that you should be trying to see and catch every Pokemon to complete your 'dex.

So you don't think of me as being obtuse to your point, I do see what you mean, and I agree that it could be there for that reason.

Aggrotek

Shiny Charm. Increases Shiny Pokemon rate in both encounters and hatching. If you do the Matsuda method you're chances of getting a Shiny is probably the best ever in the series. Still hard, tho.

It's like 1 in 1300 or something. Lowest hunt I had with it was 23 eggs.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm hoping X finally lets me find a shiny for once. I still have never ran into a shiny, despite all the hours and hours I've poured into this series.

Ellix

That reminds me. What games have you guys completed a regional Pokedex in?

I actually got really close to finishing the National Dex in Diamond, where I think I'm missing <5 with things like Celebi and Deoxys. I was most gung-ho about it that Gen and went out to get Fire Red, Leaf Green, Ranger, and all that to fill the Dex. Eventually my patience just gave way to the annoying event Pokemon. This was when there were few (or none?) wi-fi giveaways, and the rare times they were distributed it would be "US-only".

I wanna fill out Kokonoe's survey tomorrow when I have time, it looks fun : P

I hope this isn't against the rules here but I wanted to link some of my Pokemon trivia quizzes for anyone interested since they're barely being played anymore. I figure this is an appropriate audience for it.

Non-Evolving Pokémon
Pokémon Without Footprints
Spotted! Pokémon Battle Medley (audio)
Pokémon by Cry (audio)

And a bunch more from my profile if you want to check it out.

qq more

I'm hoping X finally lets me find a shiny for once. I still have never ran into a shiny, despite all the hours and hours I've poured into this series.

This. I've put in so many hours into each Pokemon game and I have never encountered a wild shiny. Not once in my life. Agh!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In the same way that 100 was an innovation for Gen II, 156 for Gen V, and so on; I'd imagine that those numbers weren't include because "Pokedex" seemed to better relay that message that you should be trying to see and catch every Pokemon to complete your 'dex.

So you don't think of me as being obtuse to your point, I do see what you mean, and I agree that it could be there for that reason.

I think it just means "new mons" and they use 151 because it's known.

GSC - Spearow (didnt know what Shiny was at the time)
RSE - Zubat
BW - Wurmple
BW2 - Zubat

Those are mine.

GSC: Espeon (RIP)
RSE: Azurill->Azumarill
DPP: Machop->Machamp and Wurmple->Dustox
BW: Golbat->Crobat

And that's not counting the Event shinies like Pichu and the doges.

Aggrotek

If we are talking about COMPLETELY random ones and not ones I hunted:

GSC: Hoothoot
RSE: Zubat, Wingull, Tentacool, and Zigzagoon
DPPT: Bulbasaur
BW: None.

Ellix

My truly random encounter shinies were all in Diamond which were Onix, Staravia, and Illumise.

Onix was my first and it was intense because it was in a 2 vs 2 wild Pokemon battle in the part where you were partnered with Riley. You're not allowed to catch Pokemon in a 2 vs. 2 unless one other opponent is fainted, so I had to knock out the Golbat, and then intentionally knock out Riley's Lucario (sorry!) to stop him from killing the Onix, before I could catch it...

harmonize

The first and only shiny I ever randomly encountered was a Graveler on Iron Island; my Torterra wasn't quick enough to stop Riley's Lucario from taking it out with force palm.

edit: looks like my story isn't an uncommon one, nice to see that your's had a happier ending :lol

GSC: Swinub (this one I remembered recently)
RSE: Torchic (gave to friend)
DPPt: Shinx
HGSS: Doduo
BW: Golett

There are others I'm forgetting... this list may have also mixed up origin game.

I found a shiny Poochyena on my first trip to Oldale Town at the start of my Pokémon Ruby playthrough. Prof. Birch didn't give me any Pokéballs.

JoeM86

I've had a few, not counting events and gifts

Ruby: Anorith, Gloom
DP: Linoone, Mankey
HGSS: Charmander
B2W2: Drilbur, Shellder

Ellix

The first and only shiny I ever randomly encountered was a Graveler on Iron Island; my Torterra wasn't quick enough to stop Riley's Lucario from taking it out with force palm.

edit: looks like my story isn't an uncommon one, nice to see that your's had a happier ending :lol

Wow what a coincidence we posted beside each other! And I was using Torterra as well!

Sucks that you weren't able to get it in time though : (

Found old pics: Pic1 Pic2

Kokonoe

Banned
What Blastoise is based off of.

cl6uqhm.gif

ufo0272

Neo Member
GSC - Spearow (didnt know what Shiny was at the time)
RSE - Zubat
BW - Wurmple
BW2 - Zubat

Those are mine.

You have incredibly bad luck. I have never seen a shiny (Gyarados doesn't count) and i have a lot of time in my games. If I ever see one I hope it's a Scyther

Wichu

Without fucking around with broken game mechanics (4th gen Cute Charm, I'm looking at you), my shinies have been:
Sapphire: Zigzagoon
Emerald: Shuppet
Pearl: Medicham
Kinda bad considering I've probably played ~2000 hours across all gens. But then again, I no longer value shinies much higher than normal Pokémon...

One of my brothers has played a fraction of the time I have, and he found three shinies in a single game.

Macka

1. Do you expect that X and Y will be your favorite/best Pokemon games?
Highly unlikely. I'm already a little iffy on a few designs and I also doubt we'll see many of the gameplay tweaks that SHOULD return actually be implemented.

2. If you had to choose between Full 3D, Half 2D/3D, or Full 2D, what would you choose?
I'm interested to try full 3D, and I think we will get some interesting designs (like Honedge) due to the use of 3D models.

3. Is Full 3D or Full 2D better than Half 2D/3D?
Yes.

4. How do you feel about the following designs:

Chespin
Probably my favourite Gen VI Pokemon revealed thus far. Please let his evolution be awesome!

Fennekin
Fennekin was my favourite when I first saw the starters, but Chespin has been giving it some strong competition for that title as of late. My choice of the two will be dependant on which evolution is better looking.

Froakie
I'm not a fan of Froakie at all. For starters, do we really need more Frog Pokemon? He also has a dopey face.

Xerneas
Great design. Glad we're having a break from Dragon cover legends.

Yyveltal
My favourite of the the legends. I hope the connections to Norse mythology were intentional and Yveltal is actually the blind overseer of a forest with a giant tree.

Pancham
I like him. More than anything, I think he has potential to have great evolutions.

Gogoat
Not the kind of Pokemon I would use on my team, but I do like his design.

Helioptile
Meh. I'm indifferent to him. Cool evo could change that.

Fletchling
I like him. Good to see what I imagine is the Route 1 bird with a colourful design.

Talonflame
I love the design...but that name is awful.

Skrelp
Indifferent.

Clauncher
Indifferent.

Vivillon
Love him! So cute!

Litleo
He really does have a deep face, but hopefully his evolution is awesome. I've wanted a badass Lion Pokemon for years! Mane of fire please.

Flabebe
Indifferent.

Honedge
I'm torn with Honedge. On one hand...I love the sheath and ribbon part of his design, but...a sword? It doesn't look alive. I can't help but think of how I would interact with Pokemon if they were real, it always determines who my favourites are. What would I do with Honedge? How would I feed it? How would I play with it? It's an interesting design, but it's very far away from what I like.

Scatterbug
Thank god it evolves into Vivillion.

Spewpa
Thank god it evolves into Vivillion.

Newtwo
It's an abomination. What's worse is that it's an unnecessary abomination. Mewtwo shouldn't have other formes, and as Kokonoe said it takes away from Deoxys ability.

Sylveon
At first I despised it, but now I'm just indifferent. It's easily the worst Eeveelution and I will never use it on my team, but...I guess it has appeal to some people?

5. How do you feel about the overworld graphics of X and Y?
Could be better, but Pokemon games have never had impressive overworlds so I'm not too fussed.

6. How do you feel about the battle graphics of X and Y?
I like them.

7. What year did you first own a Pokemon game?
1998. I had already been watching the Pokemon cartoon however, so it wasn't my first introduction to Pokemon.

8. Which Pokemon game is your absolute favorite?
Gold.

9. What are your top 3 favorite Pokemon?
Charizard, Blastoise and Arcanine.

10. (If you played) Did you enjoy Red and Blue when the games initially came out?
Yes. I got a copy of Pokemon Red for Christmas in 1998 and have been first in line to pick up new games in the series since then.

11. How do you feel about Pokemon Yellow Version?
I loved being able to get all three starters as well as Pikachu in one game.

12. Is there anything in particular you dislike about Gamefreak?
They constantly remove good features from the games for no apparent reason.

13. What is your favorite Pokemon movie?
The First Movie. Pikachu trying to revive Ash broke my heart as a kid.

14. Do you feel Pokemon communities over the net are overly cynical and hyperbolic?
No. If anything I feel most communities are far too forgiving and constantly shoot down any criticism of the games, especially the newer ones.

15. If you do think so, would you prefer if they were less cynical and hyperbolic? Or does it matter to you?
It there are communities like that, then yes.

16. If you were to rate on a out of 10 scale, what would you rate the following games?

Red & Blue 9/10
Gold & Silver 10/10
Ruby & Sapphire 9/10
Diamond & Pearl 6/10
Black & White 7/10

17. What is your favorite type?
Fire.

18. Do you prefer 'cute' Pokemon over others?
No.

19. Do you believe using legendaries in a main playthrough is something you should avoid?
Yes.

20. Do you enjoy using legendaries in a main playthrough?
No. I usually have a full team by that point anyway, but I feel legends make the game a little too easy.

21. What is the one Pokemon you dislike the most? (Just put a name here)
Newtwo. Honorable mention to Seismitoad, Clinklang line, Vanilluxe line, Stoutland, Purugly and Lickiliky.

22. Which is better? Pokemon Black and White, or Black and White 2?
B/W2 are better, but I was sick of Unova by then so I still haven't finished W2.

23. Did you watch the Pokemon anime growing up?
Yes

24. Which Season did you start with?

25. What is your favorite Season?
Orange Islands. Riding around on Lapras and discovering all these islands sounded so awesome. Pink pokemon!

26. What website is your favorite place to discuss Pokemon?
NeoGaf is the only place I discuss Pokemon.

27. What is your favorite Eevee Evolution?
Espeon

28. Which Nintendo home console is your favorite?
GameCube

29. Which Nintendo home console is your least favorite?
Wii

30. Did you enjoy Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness?[/QUOTE]
Yes, I enjoyed both! I fondly remember fighting my way through Battle Mountain to get Ho-Oh. Not so much at the time, though :p

I kind of want to have a great Shiny Pokémon in my White 2. I guess having a Blaxxorus is a very good thing, even if it means almost everyone can have it.

JoeM86

UK Adventure Tour occurring. Contains the following:
Pokémon Battle Zone

If you&#8217;re a Pokémon trainer and own Pokémon&#8482; Black Version 2 or Pokémon&#8482; White Version 2 , you will want to bring your team with you on Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi or Nintendo 3DS and head to the Pokémon Battle Zone. As well as being able to trade and battle with other Pokémon fans, you&#8217;ll also be able to challenge a Pokémon expert for the chance to win a prize.

Pokémon Game Zone

You don&#8217;t need to own a Pokémon game to play at the Pokémon Adventure Tour. In the Pokémon Game Zone you can sit back and play through a selection of games including Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity , Pokémon Conquest , Super Pokémon Rumble , Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure and Pokémon Dream Radar as well as the latest Pokémon Trading Card Game expansions.

Pokémon Fun Zone

There&#8217;s even more enjoyment to be had in the Pokémon Fun Zone, where you can have your face painted as your favourite Pokémon character, have your photo taken with Pikachu or even try to catch &#8216;em all in a Pokémon Grabber Machine filled with Pokémon plush toys.

Pokémon Training Centre

If you're new to Pokémon, then you can join the Pokémon Training Centre and learn everything you need to know about the characters. You will also get hints and tips to aid you on your adventure, including a master class on how to battle.

Pokémon Lounge

If you&#8217;re a fan of the Pokémon TV Show or want to know what all the fuss is about, then you should head to the Pokémon Lounge where you can sit back and enjoy some of the TV episodes from the Pokémon series.

Runs at:

Magic Summer Live
Stoke Park, Guildford,
13th - 14th July

INTU Metrocentre
INTU Metrocentre, Gateshead
2nd - 4th August

Bristol Balloon Fiesta
Ashton Court Estate, Bristol
8th - 11th August

Clacton Air Show
Marine Parade West,Clacton-on-Sea
22nd - 23rd August

Bournemouth Air Festival
Bournemouth Sea Front, Dorset
29th August - 1st September

Wichu

I admit Swampert is one of my favourite starters, but Quagsire just wrecks it. Its 'do I look like I give a shit?' attitude is the best. And it even translates to battle!

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Careful, max HP and Sp. Def
Unaware
- Curse
- Waterfall
- Swagger
- Recover

Now that's what I call swag.

Top Bottom