• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

MikeMyers

Well, you like Flareon, so I can forgive.

180px-136Flareon.png

I don't think the JP manuals include the type chart either...

Although I think they'd have to for XY - if not, they'll just put it in the official guide again ._.;

(even though the type info will be on the internet almost immediately, I bet)

Kind of weird that such a basic and important info is left out of the manuals....

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Myuuji is just the shortening of how Japan would spell "music".

So, I don't think an obscure Japanese character being similar means it's fake, it seems quite likely both of them just used a similar name.

Keyouta

Leaked.

Xerneas type: Fairy; Signature move: Fairy Aura

Yveltal type: Dark/Flying; Signature move: Dark Aura

Enemy team: フレア団(Team Flare/Flair(?))

Professor: プラターヌ博士 (Professor Platan), literally Puratannu. I think the name is from the Platanus tree, I may be wrong.

PK Gaming

Pancham's evolution is called Koronda (コロンダ) and has the ability Iron Fist. It is Fighting/Dark-type. It has the move Hammer Arm and a new method of evolution

Poor Scrafty :(

It looks really cool though, i'm really digging the cape. I hope it has a lot of fist-type moves that get boosted by Iron fist. Also Honedge has No Guard? Look out for this one! (no levitate is a bummer though)

There are so many new dark types. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE DON'T MAKE THEM WEAK TO FAIRY.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm I still can't put my finger on who the professor reminds me of despite being able to say the personality he probably has.

zoukka

Ok so my HG and SS with pokewalkers arrived yesterday. We booted the games with my gf (her first pokemon game ever) and straight up clocked 6 hours before going to bed :b Here's my first impressions of the games:

The sprite work is amazing. Way better than B/W from technical point of view. Both the world and the pokemons from portrait to the battle sprites. My gf loves the fact that the leading pokemon follows you around! Even the NPC/GYM leader portraits are perfect, such simple yet evocative designs... one of the best looking 2D games I've played.

So. Many. Pokemans. Naturally they are familiar to me, but every design is new to my gf. It's very nice to play in tandem and trade away straight from the beginning. She completely chooses which pokemons to train by their looks, she's rocking Quilava, Mareep, HootHoot and Ghastly atm. I'm content with my Totodile and Ghastly.

Noticing the urge to optimize pokemon natures and stats, but I will not go that route yet because it would ruin our simultaneus playthrough if I spend my time breeding eggs :b But man the temptation is high...

Balance is pretty good for a first timer. She has trouble remembering the more obscure element weaknesses and resistances. Ghastly has absurd stats compared to my other pokemons. Dat speed and sp.attack.

After we finish these games, I'll buy her Black and probably reset my White so we can play those and get ready for X/Y.

Kokonoe

Banned
Ok so my HG and SS with pokewalkers arrived yesterday. We booted the games with my gf (her first pokemon game ever) and straight up clocked 6 hours before going to bed :b Here's my first impressions of the games:

The sprite work is amazing. Way better than B/W from technical point of view. Both the world and the pokemons from portrait to the battle sprites. My gf loves the fact that the leading pokemon follows you around! Even the NPC/GYM leader portraits are perfect, such simple yet evocative designs... one of the best looking 2D games I've played.

So. Many. Pokemans. Naturally they are familiar to me, but every design is new to my gf. It's very nice to play in tandem and trade away straight from the beginning. She completely chooses which pokemons to train by their looks, she's rocking Quilava, Mareep, HootHoot and Ghastly atm. I'm content with my Totodile and Ghastly.

Noticing the urge to optimize pokemon natures and stats, but I will not go that route yet because it would ruin our simultaneus playthrough if I spend my time breeding eggs :b But man the temptation is high...

Balance is pretty good for a first timer. She has trouble remembering the more obscure element weaknesses and resistances. Ghastly has absurd stats compared to my other pokemons. Dat speed and sp.attack.

After we finish these games, I'll buy her Black and probably reset my White so we can play those and get ready for X/Y.

Haha. Nice to see you guys having fun! I think what also helps is the camera perspective, but I also do love the sprite arenas. Nice and colorful.

Mareep and HootHoot? She has great taste, and so do you for picking Totodile! Are you going to end up trading your Ghastly to her and back for Gengar?

It really is nice to see two people play Pokemon like this together, reminds me of back when I was younger RB, GS, and RS.

zoukka

Haha. Nice to see you guys having fun! I think what also helps is the camera perspective, but I also do love the sprite arenas. Nice and colorful.

Mareep and HootHoot? She has great taste, and so do you for picking Totodile! Are you going to end up trading your Ghastly to her and back for Gengar?

It really is nice to see two people play Pokemon like this together, reminds me of back when I was younger RB, GS, and RS.

Yeah we traded the Ghastly's for the exp boost and I did actually remember you needed to trade to get Gengar! And playing in tandem with someone is something I only did with the original Red/Blue when they were released... so much time has passed.

I recommend this setup for everyone. It's very interesting to see a first timer play Pokemon, you see the game design and world design from completely new perspective.

MikeMyers

It's very interesting to see a first timer play Pokemon, you see the game design and world design from completely new perspective.

Oh, Black & White attempts to give a brand new feel to it. It's all new Pokemon, and no old Pokemon until you beat the game.

qq more

Awesome, I look forward to your impressions.
I'm surprisingly adjusted to everything about the game so far (the last time I touched Pokemon was the Nuzlocke run of Black Version a few months ago)! Even down to the lack of Running Shoes and the outdated Inventory system. I'm having fun with it right now.

Just got to Viridian Forest.

My team so far:
JIM the SQUIRTLE LV6
FLICKY the PIDGEY LV4

Kokonoe

Banned
They won't ban you for that?

I'm surprisingly adjusted to everything about the game so far (the last time I touched Pokemon was the Nuzlocke run of Black Version a few months ago)! Even down to the lack of Running Shoes and the outdated Inventory system. I'm having fun with it right now.

Just got to Viridian Forest.

My team so far:
JIM the SQUIRTLE LV6
FLICKY the PIDGEY LV4

Catch Pikachu in Viridian's forest if you know what's good for you. Also, you get the bike later on, so, there's your movement speed boost! Also, you can toggle the text speed in the menus.

qq more

They won't ban you for that?

Catch Pikachu in Viridian's forest if you know what's good for you. Also, you get the bike later on, so, there's your movement speed boost! Also, you can toggle the text speed in the menus.

Yep yep! That's what I'm going to do now! What should I name my Pikachu?

Also, current team:

JIM the SQUIRTLE LV11
FLICKY the PIDGEY LV9
BEES? the WEEDLE LV5

Kokonoe

Banned
Top Bottom