• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

I don't see anything.

Anyway, wonder if there will be anything more next week - probably more stragglers being shown off. Hope they play a little bit more of the game and introduce the rest as encounters :D (Gotta listen to more of that music...)

Aggrotek

I dont like his know it all attitude and i dont like how he comes off as kinda slimy. All my posts concerning joe were directed at joe and to joe. You all chose to zero on it and keep it going. Looks like there is another defense force about.

I think you are really the only one that feels this way about Joe, and people don't understand your position against him. Your first post on that page was very antagonistic and generally acting that way towards another member, especially in this community thread, is frowned upon.

I understand that not everyone is going to get along but I really haven't seen Joe do anything to merit the way that you conduct yourself towards him.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah Col, I wanna hear that battle music.

Also I noticed that the "item get" effect is orchestra-ized too.

I dont buy that cease and desist crap. Let me explain: Bigger general gaming sites have posted accurate rumors and dicussed them many times before. Nintendo is not gonna be on your ass for sharing an opinion on neogaf of all places. Personally, i think it was a cop out so as not to appear wrong if fairy turned out to be false. And Fairy was not as likely as flying or bug if you actually looked at the hints. Im not mad about early coro coro. What i dont like is how joe comes off as a complete know it all. That month he was pretty dismissive about coro releasing that saturday and it did. Like we all havent been here since day one and dont know the patterns. After all this time you still have to open your mind to the possibilities.

And i expounded on the quality of video that im looking for. No promo music, no eccentric and strident voices, just pokemon and be longer than five mintues.

Oh don't expect that though (the one they are showing for Smash). They never did. The ones they do end up as "Gameplay video".

Also he was specifically stricken with the CnD. Not because of fairy type, but for pretty much the gen 5 leak. Because of that he had remained neutral on leaks.

Evidence for new type even with hiro's backpedaling:

- That short video of that eevee pokemon short showing off slyveons abilities. We know for a fact that i wasnt going to be psychic and flying and bug didnt match what slyveon was displayed doing

- Nintendo has never been this coy about a regular non legendary pokemon before. Pokemon typings are usually quickly revealed. We had to wait several months for this one.

- The hype nintendo itself was putting behind slyveon and its type.

- Then that smash vid of that lady dressed up as a slyveon came out and it

The evidence was def there. No doubt about that.

That's not about fairy type. That's just new type period. And like I said, it was all open for interpretation, not just fairy.

I dont like his know it all attitude and i dont like how he comes off as kinda slimy. All my posts concerning joe were directed at joe and to joe. You all chose to zero on it and keep it going. Looks like there is another defense force about.

Erm what. No one's "defending" him, it's just that the rage feels unnecessary especially when all points contradict.

I'm more than happy to be in a defence force for a poster who has done absolutely nothing to warrant the hounding, snide comments and general twattishness that you've displayed towards him in every thread where you've interacted.

This is a community thread. Joe is part of the community. Stop attacking him for no good reason.

Erm contradict? How am i contradicting myself?

Joe leave the shit I say towards joe alone. I have expressed my reasons and thats just the way it is. I dont see why you all should even care. If youre gonna quote me, quote the parts that merit discussion and leave the joe shit for joe. Problem solved. Hell I dont like jeff gerstman for just the way he comes off.

I'm more than happy to be in a defence force for a poster who has done absolutely nothing to warrant the hounding, snide comments and general twattishness that you've displayed towards him in every thread where you've interacted.

This is a community thread. Joe is part of the community. Stop attacking him for no good reason.

I have expressed my reasons. Dont see any reason why you guys quote the remarks and keep them going.

zroid

Banned
Dude, if you're gonna express your feelings about a community member, but don't want anyone to respond, then maybe you should take it to PMs. And if you don't care enough to say that stuff in private, then chances are it's better left unsaid.

Joe leave the shit I say towards joe alone. I have expressed my reasons and thats just the way it is. I dont see why you all should even care. If youre gonna quote me, quote the parts that merit discussion and leave the joe shit for joe. Problem solved. Hell I dont like jeff gerstman for just the way he comes off.
You don't make the comments about how much you dislike Jeff Gerstmann directly to him while you're in conversation with him, right?

You seem to have entirely missed that Joe's an actual person you've been having actual conversations with, and not some faceless internet gestalt.
I have expressed my reasons. Dont see any reason why you guys quote the remarks and keep them going.

Because I really don't like the way you seem to have taken personal offence from another poster, and because you shit up the thread every time you take Joe to task over whatever slight you've got it into your head he's made about you this time.

If you don't like another poster, just ignore them. Just because he runs a fansite, doesn't make Joe any different.

Aggrotek

The thing is, the problem isn't solved. Us ignoring it solves nothing. You are treating a fellow community member with disdain for, as far as I can tell, an inadequate reason and rather than taking it to PMs where it could be hashed out in private, you decided to make it a public matter. If you don't want us responding then don't post it.

Dude, if you're gonna express your feelings about a community member, but don't want anyone to respond, then maybe you should take it to PMs. And if you don't care enough to say that stuff in private, then it's probably better left unsaid.

Seriously this.

Dude, if you're gonna express your feelings about a community member, but don't want anyone to respond, then maybe you should take it to PMs. And if you don't care enough to say that stuff in private, then chances are it's better left unsaid.

I just dont get why every gets mad when i post those things toward joe. I could see if it was all i posted. But almost every single post i put in this thread merit discussion. The comments are short and terse. No reason to quote it. Pick the parts the contribute to this thread. Leave the rest alone. It is that simple.

Anyway here is why I want a new video with no yelling. I actually really enjoy pokemon music and i wanna hear the direction they are taking gen vi. Im hoping for a more orchestrated feel akin to the anime.

Taking it to PMs would imply that there's a genuine conflict of interest or disagreement from both sides. Frankly, there doesn't seem to be. You're just taking every damn thing Joe says as a slight and are abusing him in turn, which is not something that taking it to PMs would solve.

I recommend a healthy programme of sucking it up, myself.
I just dont get why every gets mad when i post those things toward joe.

You genuinely don't understand why people might get ticked off that you insult one of the members for absolutely no good reason?

Firestorm

you're being an even bigger that than him. Stop.

Filb.de has a really nice quality of the game clip and anime clip of Smash

They only do that usually after a Coro Coro stuff though. This isn't one of those moments.
I said should do. Not what they do do. There's no difference to the internet if it's from Smash or CoroCoro.

You don't make the comments about how much you dislike Jeff Gerstmann directly to him while you're in conversation with him, right?

You seem to have entirely missed that Joe's an actual person you've been having actual conversations with, and not some faceless internet gestalt.

Because I really don't like the way you seem to have taken personal offence from another poster, and because you shit up the thread every time you take Joe to task over whatever slight you've got it into your head he's made about you this time.

If you don't like another poster, just ignore them. Just because he runs a fansite, doesn't make Joe any different.

I really dont see how i shit up the thread. Stop quoting me.

Aggrotek

4GVOpPv.gif

I really dont see how i shit up the thread. Stop quoting me.
I'll quote you however much I bloody well like, thanks all the same.
But why quote the parts that dont illicit discussion. Why? Just leave it alone and ignore it. Why isnt that an option?
Because you are insulting someone for no reason at all, and me and quite a few others here aren't willing to let that slide any more.
Fine. Ill keep my shit to pm. I dont wanna get banned with x and y coming out.
Fair warning; harassment over PM will get you every bit as banned as harassment out here.

Boss Doggie

I said should do. Not what they do do. There's no difference to the internet if it's from Smash or CoroCoro.

Ahh true :p

Still, I guess the stuff they show in Smash is "unpresentable" even without the hosts? I mean, running around the grass for encounter and the awkward stopping while movement is kinda awkward I guess.

Aggrotek

So I've been thinking about it and so far my team will be:

Chespin
Helioptile
Litleo
Skrelp
Spritzee
???

Maybe Talonflame, unless Spritzee's next stage can fly, in which case it will be Honedge.

Ahh true :p

Still, I guess the stuff they show in Smash is "unpresentable" even without the hosts? I mean, running around the grass for encounter and the awkward stopping while movement is kinda awkward I guess.

Exactly im really hoping for a nice quality direct feed vid. I know other posters have expressed concerns about the game's framerate. I really really hope GF has no plans to release a game with a choppy framerate. Would just be a poor showing. And i wanna hear the music. One thing i really like is that each pokemon is individually animated. Even when they do attacks.

Edit:

Teams again?

- Froakie
- Litleo if he does become a manticore ( that tail means something dammit)
- Helioptile if he becomes awesome

The rest will probably be a mix of old and new. I plan on getting both copies. So my first run will be all new and my second run will be an amalgamation of old and new.

Im thinking physical copy of X and digital copy of Y. Along with the guide. Hopefully nintendo has the sense to release this one at midnight. Im also hoping both the guide and game leak. I wanna be spoiled.

Boss Doggie

So far I don't think framerate would be an issue, since even with the horde the fps seems constant.

So I've been thinking about it and so far my team will be:

Chespin
Helioptile
Litleo
Skrelp
Spritzee
???

Maybe Talonflame, unless Spritzee's next stage can fly, in which case it will be Honedge.

Pancham for some badass bancho panda :p

So far I don't think framerate would be an issue, since even with the horde the fps seems constant.

Pancham for some badass bancho panda :p

Well recent nintendo titles have performed wonderfully even with the 3D effect turned on so that gives me hope.

And i forgot all about pangoro. I just hope he has good stats.

Boss Doggie

I'm not very confident in GameFreak's technical abilities at all I'm afraid.

Well, it's already proven that their framerate would be constant in single battles, at least judging by the "solo vids" in the Japanese site.

JoeM86

When did I ever say Fairy-type was not happening? I purposefully was quiet about that and seldom commented on it, except in my stating of my dislike for the name Fairy-type because of all the connotations the internet would derive from it. I still maintain that Mystic-type would have been a better name for those reasons.

For that issue of CoroCoro, so I said that I doubt it'd leak that day. So what? Leaks are not an exact science and can come in any time within the five days prior to the official release of the magazine.

Regarding rumours, I do not comment on them because people so often misconstrue what I say if I speculate as fact and/or knowledge through insider contacts. As I do gain information before official release periodically, I have to choose my words very carefully, especially considering what happened in the past. With Super Smash Bros Brawl, I was made aware of various parts of the game, most Pokémon related. As such, I was doing my duty and calling out fake rosters people were posting. People started to see a pattern with rosters I left alone due to incomplete knowledge, and ones I called out, and started theories. From then on, people started faking conversations with me supposedly giving them information. Since then, I have been very conservative with the statements I make. You can even see it when I'm talking about Oorotto.

Finally, yes I do not post leaks on the site often any more. It is primarily due to the cease and desist I received in 2010 due to the reposting of the alphabuild images of the Unova Pokémon from Melkor. Until you have received a cease and desist that threatens the very existence of the thing upon which you have spent a good portion of your life working, you will not understand how that feels.

Anyway, I'm done.

Whenever I play the games, I always make sure to use Pokémon that I have never used before. When I play through X & Y, all three times this year, I will make sure to never repeat a Pokémon or use a Pokémon I have used in a previous generation. Makes things even more exciting.

I'm thinking of taking Malamar out for a spin as soon as I can :)

I'm not very confident in GameFreak's technical abilities at all I'm afraid.

tumblr_moumocTuxv1r78moro1_r2_250.gif

Enough said :)

The site did update once on a sunday morning ater Smash had some new exclusive footage.

That was the exception and an isolated incident. If these clips had revealed a new Pokémon, then you can bet that the official site would have updated as it did with Awakened Mewtwo. However, without that, it would not.

Something I wonder about is the change towards having so many "gameplay trailers". Maybe it's Nintendo's influence, or maybe it's a result of TPCi getting into social media more, and needing to cover YouTube as well as FB/Twitter.

Or it's an easy way to transmit the same information that would be in CoroCoro, aside from putting it on the site. Or all of them at once.
or or or or or or

JoeM86

Something I wonder about is the change towards having so many "gameplay trailers". Maybe it's Nintendo's influence, or maybe it's a result of TPCi getting into social media more, and needing to cover YouTube as well as FB/Twitter.

Or it's an easy way to transmit the same information that would be in CoroCoro, aside from putting it on the site. Or all of them at once.
or or or or or or

Yeah it's pretty much to quickly show the new stuff so fast. We actually had something similar in the run up to B2W2's US launch where we had monthly trailers

Aggrotek

That was the exception and an isolated incident. If these clips had revealed a new Pokémon, then you can bet that the official site would have updated as it did with Awakened Mewtwo. However, without that, it would not.

Dat gif.

So many attacks look good... and there are now 600+, so I'm hoping they keep up in quality.

Honedge looked excellent using Aerial Ace and Shadow Sneak. That one attack that Froakie did in the very first trailer looked cool too - I thought it was Quick Attack, but apparently not..?

Daedardus

Artistical is not the same as technical though. While the attack looks cool, the effects are plain. But that's something that is a broader issue on all 3DS games. Not that I care much, because it still looks good enough.

Well, they could make an exception on the exception and release an extra video. It's much appreciated, although unlikely. It would be better if they released the footage themselves, rather than people having to resort to watch uploaded tv shows. You can't blame them for viewing it, as it is the only way for viewing exclusive stuff.

JoeM86

Speaking of rumors, was the source for Hiro and Pokébeach the same guy?

Nope, they were not

Artistical is not the same as technical though. While the attack looks cool, the effects are plain. But that's something that is a broader issue on all 3DS games. Not that I care much, because it still looks good enough.

The effects aren't plain, they match the artistic style they are going for with this game; they are matching Ken Sugimori's artwork

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
When did I ever say Fairy-type was not happening? I purposefully was quiet about that and seldom commented on it, except in my stating of my dislike for the name Fairy-type because of all the connotations the internet would derive from it. I still maintain that Mystic-type would have been a better name for those reasons.
I'm curious, what do you mean by that? If you mean people might think it sounds kinda gay, then I gotta disagree. I think that's awesome! We could all use a little more queer in our video games, even if it's just through the eyes of the beholder.

JoeM86

I'm curious, what do you mean by that? If you mean people might think it sounds kinda gay, then I gotta disagree. I think that's awesome! We could all use a little more queer in our video games, even if it's just through the eyes of the beholder.

Well by Fairy, people often think Navi, Tinkerbell etc. and assume it's a relatively girly thng. However, the original definition of fairy, from which this type is clearly derived, it includes things like grotesques, goblins and other fictional creatures.

Refyref

I think he meant something like that the internet would take it as the "Light" type, as in a reverse for Dark type, even though that would be the Fighting type.

Or maybe I am just horribly confused right now.

EDIT: Yes, I am.

Well by Fairy, people often think Navi, Tinkerbell etc. and assume it's a relatively girly thng. However, the original definition of fairy, from which this type is clearly derived, it includes things like grotesques, goblins and other fictional creatures.

How is Snubbull, a Pokemon described as fairy, not like the latter? :p

Daedardus

The effects aren't plain, they match the artistic style they are going for with this game; they are matching Ken Sugimori's artwork

From a technical point of view, they are plain. Not any kind of shader effect is used and the stripes are just homogenous stripes. But like I said, it's more a thing of the 3DS, although stuff like Bravely Defaults train attack had some insanely good lightning (for the system). For reference:
bravelydefault_deathtpakhn.gif

JoeM86

I think he meant something like that the internet would take it as the "Light" type, as in a reverse for Dark type, even though that would be the Fighting type.

Or maybe I am just horribly confused right now.

EDIT: Yes, I am.

That too. When the idea of a new type started floating around in February, people were often going on about Light-type, and I continually explained why Light-type isn't logical. Here's why, for people who aren't aware

Dark-type is a relatively decent translation, as Dark can include many different facets of one's self, but it does miss the mark of what is intended. The reason Light-type doesn't fit is due to the whole idea behind the type. In Japanese, the type is called あくタイプ (Aku-type), which is often mistranslated as Evil-type. If it were to be Evil-type, it'd have been called ワルタイプ (Waru-type). Aku roughly translated in several things, but the most general definition is Scum, Underhanded etc.
This correlates with the various moves of the type such as Bite, Crunch, Fling, Torment, Pursuit, Payback, Embargo etc. which could all be considered dishonourable fighting tactics as opposed to the more honourable Fighting-type moves which are mostly based upon techniques across various different martial art forms.
This is why Fighting-type is super effective on Dark-type. Dark-type is also immune to Psychic-type for similar reasons, based on Psychic-type actually being called ESP-type in Japan, which stands for ExtraSensory Perception. The logic is that those with ESP would struggle to anticipate underhanded fighting styles.

Since the inception of the name Dark-type, however, the type focus has shifted slightly to be wider with inclusion of moves such as Dark Void, Dark Pulse, abilities such as Dark Aura and Rattled, but it is fundamentally the type I described above.

From a technical point of view, they are plain. Not any kind of shader effect is used and the stripes are just homogenous stripes. But like I said, it's more a thing of the 3DS, although stuff like Bravely Defaults train attack had some insanely good lightning (for the system). For reference:
bravelydefault_deathtpakhn.gif

It is a specific style they are going for. Bravely Default went for another one. This style MATCHES the artwork style of their lead artist. A semi-realistic train type thing such as that would not match said styles. It has nothing to do with the console. If the 3DS were as powerful as the Vita, the situation would be exactly as it is right now. There are shader effects, but they are just different to the ones you desire.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, gotcha. I'm down with girliness, too, though. Maybe they can challenge normal expectations of what "girly" is and make a Pokemon that's girly and grotesque, heh.

Top Bottom