• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The thing is, generally speaking, Pokémon are designed to look visually appealing. If you have an extremely rare alternate colouration which looks more appealing than the original, it begs the question: why not just make the regular form more appealing instead? That's the one people are going to see most of the time anyway.

Obviously there are exceptions but in most cases, the best shinies are those which would under normal circumstances look "as good", but seem better as a result of their rarity.

To an extent, yeah, but it's definitely possible to make better looking alternates than the series has pumped out so far. I mean, I'd even settle for bland - as it is, most Shinies are hideous. There are also a fair number of reasons why a more appealing colouration might not be used. For example, Shiny Charizard doesn't convey the "fire" theme as well as ordinary Charizard, so it's better ordinary Charizard is the colouration it is so that you identify Charizard with those traits. However, once you do know what Charizard is associated with, Shiny Charizard is cool as fuck.

How exaxtly can you port pictures into your post? is that possible? I dont mean url, I mean pictures saved on my computer

You'll need to reupload them elsewhere using a permitted image host...

Or perform a reverse image search and look for a source that is either (the original or a permitted reupload) and permits hotlinking.

Aggrotek

90%+ of Shinies are shit and way worse looking than the original colourations. I would be completely in favour of a total redo of Shinies to actually produce different colour schemes that made you think "damn, glad I have it!".

I think a lot of them look great, even ones other people hate..

Some of my favorites:
560.gif
545.gif
454f.gif
269.gif

336.gif
355.gif
306.gif
193.gif

Refyref

I know people mostly don't like this thing, but I like shinies that are actually "shiny", as in just a brighter version of the original Pokemon.

So I just came to say that I just got Pokemon Black Version 2 today. I got it used from Gamestop (which I REALLY regret because the game didn't come with a case and the back of it had sticker residue on it) because I really wanted to learn the gen 5 Pokemon before playing Pokemon X/Y later this year. So far I'm on the first gym and got my butt handed to me badly. I have 4 Pokemon currently and their all lvl 4-8, with my starter being lvl 13. The gym leader destroyed my 3 under levels with their first Pokemon and I got destroyed by their second one with my starter.

The designs for the first 5 new Pokemon I've seen aren't too bad but I still got a while to go before I can say if I like them or not.

It's pretty fun to be playing a new Pokemon game again since my last one was Diamond/Pearl/Platinum which was a while ago.

Zeroth

So I just came to say that I just got Pokemon Black Version 2 today. I got it used from Gamestop (which I REALLY regret because the game didn't come with a case and the back of it had sticker residue on it) because I really wanted to learn the gen 5 Pokemon before playing Pokemon X/Y later this year. So far I'm on the first gym and got my butt handed to me badly. I have 4 Pokemon currently and their all lvl 4-8, with my starter being lvl 13. The gym leader destroyed my 3 under levels with their first Pokemon and I got destroyed by their second one with my starter.

The designs for the first 5 new Pokemon I've seen aren't too bad but I still got a while to go before I can say if I like them or not.

It's pretty fun to be playing a new Pokemon game again since my last one was Diamond/Pearl/Platinum which was a while ago.

Good to see you are fixing that!

Anura

I believe credit is due for you not flipping out at that. Many would. :D

Lol! Well everyone has their own opinion about something so it's dumb to get angry over just that

Each gen has the good and bad with everyone disagreeing with the extent of either

However I do like arguing the merits of each gen even if they really do just boil down to the subjective nit picking

qq more

Gen 2 is still my favorite along with 4. 3 grew on me after a while and I'm still enjoying 1. Could not get into 5 though... but I think I've already said that many times lol

Can you really call moving on tothe worst generation yet "fixing it"?

Gen V is best for me because

A) Infinite TMs
and
B) The # of mandatory HMs is extremely low.

It's very hard for me to go back to earlier gens just because of those two things. :/ Oh, that and the text speed.

Anura

Gen V is best for me because

A) Infinite TMs
and
B) The # of mandatory HMs is extremely low.

It's very hard for me to go back to earlier gens just because of those two things. :/ Oh, that and the text speed.

As much as I hated gen 5 I would have to be a fool to say infinite TMs wasn't absolutely incredible

qq more

Those two things are good improvements but they don't really make other gens before it unplayable if you ask me. Then again I can play Sonic 1 without complaining about the lack of Spindash.

Yeah, whenever I go back to a previous gen the lack of infinite TMs drives me crazy.

It kind of does...and then it kind of doesn't...since I usually go with a balanced party, I like to have each Poke with a certain assortment of attacks so there are no overlaps...although I have to admit, having multiple copies of TM 29 would have been sooooo good.

Top Bottom