• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Firestorm

But Lucario is beyond generation promotion. Brawl came out after Gen 4 and his movie. It needn't not any promotion since it's already came out. While yes he is there because it's the latest gen, part of it is that it's very popular.

And I brought up Zoroark because people were all like "Lucario's gonna be replaced" and all that. If anything, the reverse happened.
Generation 5 was 3 years after Brawl. I'm really not sure what you're trying to argue here. Smash isn't used to hype upcoming games. It draws from the current generation. Lucario was popular because TPCi and Nintendo made it popular. Guess who is this generation's Lucario so far? Mewthree.

Firestorm

I think I'm gonna do just that. It's a shame because I was winning pretty much every match.

But I'm not going to risk not participating in the first X/Y tournament. Just going to run from 20 battles or so...

This is so crappy Gamefreak/Nintendo!

EDIT: I just lost my first match in eons and now my 3DS loses connection. I can't even lose! This isn't even funny anymore.

EDIT 2: My 3DS disconnects at the end of some of the matches I run away from (while submitting results). Don't tell me the problem was mine all along? The hell. How do I stop this?
Definitely an issue with you then. Maybe try playing with your router settings and put the radio channel to 1 or 11?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Eh, Lucario has staying power. A lot of BW2 advertisements had him advertised as one of the old Pokemon returning in the updated Unova Dex, and the BW2 Anime Teaser Trailer used him as well.

Firestorm

In game PWT is such a load of shit. Hax fucking everywhere. I just want Swords Dance damn it!
You get BP for online battles and WiFi tournaments too.

While in line to register at the National Championships in Indianapolis this year, I decided to change out Energy Ball for Protect on my Chandelure. Realized I didn't have the TM and looked it up frantically on Bulbapedia using my phone. Thought I was screwed due to BP then found out I had over 80 BP from the International Challenges =D

Aggrotek

You get BP for online battles and WiFi tournaments too.

While in line to register at the National Championships in Indianapolis this year, I decided to change out Energy Ball for Protect on my Chandelure. Realized I didn't have the TM and looked it up frantically on Bulbapedia using my phone. Thought I was screwed due to BP then found out I had over 80 BP from the International Challenges =D

My pokemon aren't good enough for that. I might have to try for the battle subway.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Generation 5 was 3 years after Brawl. I'm really not sure what you're trying to argue here. Smash isn't used to hype upcoming games. It draws from the current generation. Lucario was popular because TPCi and Nintendo made it popular. Guess who is this generation's Lucario so far? Mewthree.

I was talking about Brawl and Gen 4's interaction. And PC and Nintendo might've pushed its popularity, but it managed to stick enough that it's like a second Pikachu. And again, guess who is Gen 5's Lucario? Zoroark.

And you talk as though Pokemon won't get more than 4 reps. It's Pokemon, a game that deserves more than 4 reps.

Any chance of us getting more X/Y footage/anime news tomorrow?

I'm actually able to watch Smash live for once!

Nah, nothing in their previous show hinted stuff.

Aggrotek

I was talking about Brawl and Gen 4's interaction. And PC and Nintendo might've pushed its popularity, but it managed to stick enough that it's like a second Pikachu. And again, guess who is Gen 5's Lucario? Zoroark.

And you talk as though Pokemon won't get more than 4 reps. It's Pokemon, a game that deserves more than 4 reps.

What makes Pokemon different than say, the Star Fox franchise? Why should Pokemon have more characters in SSB than any other franchise? It already has an item that spawns 1 of like 20 different mons.

Boss Doggie

What makes Pokemon different than say, the Star Fox franchise? Why should Pokemon have more characters in SSB than any other franchise? It already has an item that spawns 1 of like 20 different mons.

It's Pokemon! It stands beside Mario as the biggest franchise! If Mario can have 8 reps (yes, I do not consider Wario, Yoshi and DK to be not part of it), why not Pokemon?

Why is there a Smash cycle here

Firestorm

Lucario doesn't come close to being even in the same tier of popularity as Pikachu. Zoroark is the 5th Gen Lucario but is again irrelevant to the conversation. I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up unless Brawl has DLC or an expansion I'm not familiar with.

With the roster size likely not expanding much I don't see why Pokemon needs more reps. I'd be more than happy with Pikachu + Jigglypuff + Mewthree + a usable Pokemon Trainer – especially considering Pokemon Trainer acts as three characters who are close to Pikachu in popularity, status, and timelessness.

Boss Doggie

Lucario doesn't come close to being even in the same tier of popularity as Pikachu. Zoroark is the 5th Gen Lucario but is again irrelevant to the conversation. I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up unless Brawl has DLC or an expansion I'm not familiar with.

With the roster size likely not expanding much I don't see why Pokemon needs more reps. I'd be more than happy with Pikachu + Jigglypuff + Mewthree + a usable Pokemon Trainer – especially considering Pokemon Trainer acts as three characters who are close to Pikachu in popularity, status, and timelessness.

I keep bringing up Zoroark as a fact that Lucario trumped over its supposed replacement.

And just because it's not expanding much doesn't mean it's not getting any new Pokemon. It's really garish when people want a unique character to be replaced.

Firestorm

I keep bringing up Zoroark as a fact that Lucario trumped over its supposed replacement.

And just because it's not expanding much doesn't mean it's not getting any new Pokemon. It's really garish when people want a unique character to be replaced.
Lucario is Mewtwo with a different skin. I don't see how that's different from Young Link or Dr. Mario. I also don't see how Lucario "triumphed" over its replacement. Zoroark hasn't had a Smash Bros. game to be featured in. Gen 3 and Gen 5 have not had Smash Bros. games to be featured in.

Boss Doggie

Lucario is Mewtwo with a different skin. I don't see how that's different from Young Link or Dr. Mario. I also don't see how Lucario "triumphed" over its replacement. Zoroark hasn't had a Smash Bros. game to be featured in. Gen 3 and Gen 5 have not had Smash Bros. games to be featured in.

wtf, that bolded part, only similar move is B and even then Lucario is more like Samus in that regard

I mentioned Zoroark because of popularity. People claim Lucario will be replaced when it is still very popular. Zoroark didn't get that.

I have a feeling that no matter what roster is in the next SSB, someone, somewhere will get mad or something simply because it isn't what they wanted. Even if it's what others wanted...

How to do Pokemon in Smash Brothers:

Replace Pokemon Trainer with Pokemon Champion. It's Cynthia. She uses Roserade, Lucario and Garchomp.

Keep Pikachu.

Mewtwo returns in his new forme to replace Lucario, maybe with a form switching gimmick.

Make Cynthia playable and use her with her normal attacks involve summoning Pokemon. Or N. Maybe N fits that more because he's a hippie.

Like Yugi in Jump Ultimate Stars? I'd be down for that.

I think Cynthia would fit better as the "face" of Pokemon given that she's been in pretty much every game since her debut crossing three different regions.

qq more

They should bring back PokeFloats AND Saffron City. Great stages! I hope we don't get another Pokemon Stadium level, not that it was bad, but it isn't as fun compared to those two.

Boss Doggie

Wow, didn't realize Gen II was slow in the transition. Seems like the "animation" of Pokemon after being released slows a lot.

Like Yugi in Jump Ultimate Stars? I'd be down for that.

I think Cynthia would fit better as the "face" of Pokemon given that she's been in pretty much every game since her debut crossing three different regions.

Cynthia would make the best "Champion" face tbqh. Utterly better than loser Green, Flying type Lance, lollace, Steven and Ice Beam Iris. Adler comes a close second to him.

DaBoss

So I know you can't back up saves on certain digital 3DS games like ACNL. I expect Pokemon to be like that.

With that said, can't I say, use two different SD cards? Like one will have X with my main save, and another with X that has say, Nuzlocke?

Late to this, but can you do this with AC:NL? If you can, then you can most likely do it. If you can't, then you most likely can't do it.

In game PWT is such a load of shit. Hax fucking everywhere. I just want Swords Dance damn it!

I went through all the gym leader tourneys, then did World Leaders 10 times in a row, and then beat the Champions tourney without losing once. I use a couple variations of this team but at the end I went with:

Arcanine @ Life Orb (Yes, the poor thing often fainted)
Adamant/Intimidate
4HP/254ATK/252Speed
-Flare Blitz
-Extreme Speed
-Close Combat
-Wild Charge

Haxorus @ Focus Sash
Adamant/Mold Breaker
255ATK/255 Speed
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Super Power or Brick Break (Can't remember which one)

Milotic @ Leftovers
Bold
254HP/164DEF/4Sp.Atk/84Sp.Def/4Speed
-Scald
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Toxic

They're actually 3 members of the UU team I'm going to troll Global Showdown with later. My hope is that the people online are competent enough that I'll get 5 losses and then I'm done. :)

PWT can come down to luck, just because of the variety of Pokemons you might be put up against at random. Wallace is always trouble especially, given the lack of Pokemon that can take hits but still deal high Electric damage.

I didn't play DPP, so I don't know what the deal is with Cynthia.

Boss Doggie

PWT is pretty tame compared to Subway, especially if you can predict the teams your enemies are using. However, all dat annoying EVs and IVs they have...

Difficulty is like Subway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PWT >>>> Tree/Building

ffdgh

Latios, azelf, and thundurus gets me through no problem usually aside from focus scash screwing me over occasionally.

The battle subway singles with truant Durant, multi scale dragonite, and whimsicott is the safest way to get a high streak. It's almost unscrewable

The Subway goes on way too long. You can get up to up to 18 battle points (unlikely, but possible) in PWT with only 3 battles, plus it's more fun to fight through. I really hope X/Y have an expanded incarnation of the tournament idea, because the Battle Frontier-type stuff really just wears on.

ffdgh

The Subway goes on way too long. You can get up to up to 18 battle points (unlikely, but possible) in PWT with only 3 battles, plus it's more fun to fight through. I really hope X/Y have an expanded incarnation of the tournament idea, because the Battle Frontier-type stuff really just wears on.

Yeah pwt was a god send for getting quick BP compared to black/white 1 for items and tms

Firestorm

Would be neat to have some background music ^^
Yeah sorry about that x.x If you guys notice my usual IRC entrance time it's usually 11:30PM Pacific when I get home. Only got home around 2AM last night and had to them download and set up Mumble, VAC, and then finish setting up the layout this morning so ran out of time to also get WinAmp up and running. It used to all be set up but I formatted my computer :(

JoeM86

66.jpg
74.jpg

My 3DS disconnects at the end of some of the matches I run away from (while submitting results). Don't tell me the problem was mine all along? The hell. How do I stop this?

Do a power cycle with your modem and router. Just turn both off for a while and then boot them back up. Also, move as close to your router as possible - the WiFi cards contained in the DS line are ass and don't handle signals that aren't super strong very well. See if those things help.

EDIT: Checked out the new screenshots on Serebii. So pretty!

Top Bottom