• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Toxi

Banned
I've seen several shinies: Shiny Machop, Shiny Staryu, Shiny Beldum (no, really), and Shiny Nidoran male.

Zapdos is the best legendary bird; it might look a bit stiff in its official art, but it looks awesome in other poses, and it has the most unique and intimidating design out of the trio.

h32-zapdos.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've seen several shinies: Shiny Machop, Shiny Staryu, Shiny Beldum (no, really), and Shiny Nidoran male.

Zapdos is the best legendary bird; it might look a bit stiff in its official art, but it looks awesome in other poses, and it has the most unique and intimidating design out of the trio.

h32-zapdos.jpg

That's a pretty crazy card, that said I don't see how that ability is useful in the slightest.

Toxi

Banned
I don't really get it either; if the second attack was amazing, there might be a point to stocking up energy cards, but 60 damage for four energy with a chance of self damage is pretty rough.

Still love the artwork.

fates

Still love the artwork.

I never played the card game, but damn did it have some nice artworks for it. Well, still does have good illustrations, too. I really like those full body Trainer cards they've been releasing. Nice to see some new official character art.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They sorta did that with some names, like Meteor Mash (Comet Punch, with the English Comet Punch being Consecutive Punches).

Oops! I mean not translating and just making up thier own names.

Well, they usually do change them up to make more sense in English or whatever language. Like How Fire Blast in Japanese is Daimonji, a reference to a festival in Kyoto. Obviously to those outside of Japan, that wouldn't make any sense, so they changed it to something people in the west would understand. Of course, they chose the absolute most boring name to replace it with, but whatever...

Quest1

So, I stayed up late/early to buy a pair of shoes online (fittingly enough, the Fire Reds) and was killing time playing PkmnShowdown. I've only ever played OU, but playing in the other tiers is great. And it's fun seeing people make use of Pokemon who don't seem that viable at first (Quagsire -_-). Hopefully, XYs online is solid or at least has something beyond battles for multiplayer. I don't have my hopes up, but man something different would be nice.

Edit: I just beat someone who was using Prankster Riolu with Copycat/Roar. I feel accomplished enough to sleep. Brute force prevailed.

Toxi

Banned
5th generation OU is awful. It's just taking speedy pokemon with high attack and special attack and smashing them against each other, with some rain and sun added in to just boost speed and special attack even more.

Boss Doggie

I thought I see the occasional slow Gastrodon and such.

With that said, I'd prefer that over LET'S STALLING TIME!

entremet

Watching a lot of nuzlockes on YT and I notice that many players use Fresh Waters and Moo Moo Milks, I guess cause they're cheaper? But they're a pain to buy. I stick with my potions. Just out of habit.

Boss Doggie

Watching a lot of nuzlockes on YT and I notice that many players use Fresh Waters and Moo Moo Milks, I guess cause they're cheaper? But they're a pain to buy. I stick with my potions. Just out of habit.

HP to price ratio.

Also it's not hard to buy them anymore when you can buy MooMoo Milks in bulk.

fates

I use Moo Moo Milks almost exclusively now, even before you could buy them in bulk. The ability to buy them in bulk was a godsend, though!

Aggrotek

Lemonade and MooMoo Milks are the money savers. Lemonades are only $350, that's only $50 more than a regular Potion and it heals for 80. There are vending machines everywhere and it just makes sense.

Once you get to Driftveil and can buy MMM, they heal for 100 and are still cheaper than Hyperpotions.

Karl2177

I know most of PokeGAF plays the newer gens, but I have a question about the batteries on the older gens(specifically gen2). Do roaming Pokemon stop appearing after the battery starts to die? I've been following Entei for a while on the Pokedex and it says it is on Route 36. I finally lucked out and am searching on the same route, but I've gone through 25 Max Repels and he hasn't popped up at all. I plan on replacing the battery in a few days after I transfer all my peeps into my friend's Gold version.

I know most of PokeGAF plays the newer gens, but I have a question about the batteries on the older gens(specifically gen2). Do roaming Pokemon stop appearing after the battery starts to die? I've been following Entei for a while on the Pokedex and it says it is on Route 36. I finally lucked out and am searching on the same route, but I've gone through 25 Max Repels and he hasn't popped up at all. I plan on replacing the battery in a few days after I transfer all my peeps into my friend's Gold version.

Wouldn't surprise me if so. I don't know for sure though...

I don't believe the battery would cause something like that to happen. If the battery in the Gen 1 or 2 games is dead or dying the game can't keep the save, it's only the games that used a battery for keeping the time (Gen 3) that have any sort of clock freeze.

I've had it happen before where the roamers just refuse to appear in a route even when I use repels. It's entirely possible that Entei changed routes after being on the same route as you for a certain amount of time. They tend to be incredibly frustrating in Gen 2. If this keeps happening, just try it without repels.

Also, if you're thinking of replacing the battery, it's better to buy one with the brackets connected to it. The method with removing the old battery and using the old battery's brackets with the new one and wrapping them up in electrical tape does work, but it won't last nearly as long as soldering in a new battery with the brackets attached. If the connection between the two is broken for any reason, like if the tape lets go a little bit due to heat or dropping the cart, the save will be erased. It can still last a long time, it's just more of a gamble.

Karl2177

I don't believe the battery would cause something like that to happen. If the battery in the Gen 1 or 2 games is dead or dying the game can't keep the save, it's only the games that used a battery for keeping the time (Gen 3) that have any sort of clock freeze.

I've had it happen before where the roamers just refuse to appear in a route even when I use repels. It's entirely possible that Entei changed routes after being on the same route as you for a certain amount of time. They tend to be incredibly frustrating in Gen 2. If this keeps happening, just try it without repels.

Also, if you're thinking of replacing the battery, it's better to buy one with the brackets connected to it. The method with removing the old battery and using the old battery's brackets with the new one and wrapping them up in electrical tape does work, but it won't last nearly as long as soldering in a new battery with the brackets attached. If the connection between the two is broken for any reason, like if the tape lets go a little bit due to heat or dropping the cart, the save will be erased. It can still last a long time, it's just more of a gamble.

The time stopped updating in it, so I just assumed it was the battery dying. Nonetheless, I know it's been well over 12 years since I bought the game, so it's due for a battery replace. It also gives me a good chance to start again and enjoy it all again. I was going to just get one of these off of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IXQISS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, while I'm here, I might as well ask if anyone has an idea of what causes my Crystal to become corrupted. After I trade, the game will say that the save file is corrupted. Never corrupts for anything else, just trading.

Refyref

Who says it's a racing game? It's just a really fast Fire Emblem game where you total the other guy by bumping into them.

But then it should be a Ys game.

EDIT: As for roamers and battery, battery dying should not stop the roaming.
Or, at least, it has never done so for me.

The time stopped updating in it, so I just assumed it was the battery dying. Nonetheless, I know it's been well over 12 years since I bought the game, so it's due for a battery replace. It also gives me a good chance to start again and enjoy it all again. I was going to just get one of these off of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IXQISS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, while I'm here, I might as well ask if anyone has an idea of what causes my Crystal to become corrupted. After I trade, the game will say that the save file is corrupted. Never corrupts for anything else, just trading.
Yeah, that's the right type of battery to get. I brought that up because I know the tape method is pretty popular due to how easy it is both skill-wise and cost-wise and just wanted to make sure you knew the risks involved if you were planning on using it.

As for the Crystal thing, I really have no idea. It could just be a defective cart, because what you describe sounds like what happens when you trade between a Japanese-based game and an American-based game before Gen 3.

Andrefpvs

I've been wondering. Considering the anime is traditionally a few months behind in the US compared to Japan, and since XY will be a global launch this time, will XY the anime launch only after the game's been out for months?

I've been wondering. Considering the anime is traditionally a few months behind in the US compared to Japan, and since XY will be a global launch this time, will XY the anime launch only after the game's been out for months?

We don't know, but since the US anime is only behind by a few episodes they could easily just do a marathon or two if they want to catch up.

Probably early Jan or March is my guess. Surprisingly, the US version is only 5-10 eps behind JP. CN is much quicker to dubbing than 4kids. We had to wait a year for new seasons. Hell, we were still on oranges island when GS aired in JP :/

At the rate the dub's been going, the first episode with Alexa, Helioptile and Gogoat will air on October 12th. I think it's likely that they'll just use that as advertising rather than skip ahead.

Boss Doggie

At least seeing Arbok and Poliwrath in 3D is neat, but man... I hope they fix that "eyes open when asleep".

Also next ep confirmed for XY news, but Coro might've leaked by then.

Andrefpvs

We don't know, but since the US anime is only behind by a few episodes they could easily just do a marathon or two if they want to catch up.

I was thinking about this and I think they should just do the marathon.

But this is a good point as well:

At the rate the dub's been going, the first episode with Alexa, Helioptile and Gogoat will air on October 12th. I think it's likely that they'll just use that as advertising rather than skip ahead.

Top Bottom