• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well, they usually do change them up to make more sense in English or whatever language. Like How Fire Blast in Japanese is Daimonji, a reference to a festival in Kyoto. Obviously to those outside of Japan, that wouldn't make any sense, so they changed it to something people in the west would understand. Of course, they chose the absolute most boring name to replace it with, but whatever...

My favorite is probably Aerial Ace, which in English makes it sound exclusively for Flying Pokemon, but in Japan is "Hatching Swallow", a famous sword-technique which is likely Flying simply due to being named after a bird. Every time I see "why does 'non-Flying Pokemon learn Aerial Ace" I feel a need to post that.

PS_GUY

Someone posted this on gamefaqs but here's the source and image: http://pokemonxandpokemony.com/?p=11786

Pokemon toys are usually good indicators and spoilers of what's to come. It would be odd to include the starters from the 1st gen if they didn't serve some sort of purpose. I hope it's true because I would love to train a Bulbasaur.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Anyone got any .GIFs of Poliwrath and Arbok?

1375573271403rupvg.gif

13755728736259jjhl.gif

1375573662903r2pd6.gif

137557395772223r0y.gif

Arbok! One of my all-time favourites.

My favorite is probably Aerial Ace, which in English makes it sound exclusively for Flying Pokemon, but in Japan is "Hatching Swallow", a famous sword-technique which is likely Flying simply due to being named after a bird. Every time I see "why does 'non-Flying Pokemon learn Aerial Ace" I feel a need to post that.

'Hatching Swallow'? I thought it was 'Swallow Counter' or 'Return', referring to how with the sword technique the fighter would slash one way, then quickly turn around and slash back in the other direction.

Boss Doggie

Man I wish pre-order goodies are here for handhelds in my country. At best they give it when you buy their first shipment :(

Arbok! One of my all-time favourites.

'Hatching Swallow'? I thought it was 'Swallow Counter' or 'Return', referring to how with the sword technique the fighter would slash one way, then quickly turn around and slash back in the other direction.

Swallow Counter, Swallow Return, Swallow Reversal and Turning Swallow Cut are all accurate translations.

Boss Doggie

Hopefully!

Also I saw the XY model of Marill and Jigglypuff. When were they shown? I don't recall them being presented in Smash.

It's even more dumb because the Super Rod is the only rod available in the entire game, so you can't do ANY fishing until after you beat the E4.

One step forward, two steps back.

qq more

It's even more dumb because the Super Rod is the only rod available in the entire game, so you can't do ANY fishing until after you beat the E4.

So there's no Old Rod or anything like that? What the fuck?

I thought removing VS Seeker for good was dumb enough.

Yeah, I checked to make sure I wasn't missing anything because I hadn't seen any of the fisherman that give out rods or anything. No Old/Good Rods, only Super. And you can't get to the area where it is until after the E4. Absolutely moronic decision.

Yea that was really annoying, fishing has always been a nice part of the game (Except if you're going for Feebas) so I don't know why they did that.

Keyouta

So what do you guys think will be the "scoop of the century" or whatever Corocoro is marketing it as?

I think it would be pretty cool to go back to Unova and such, as a parallel to RB/GS. (Yes, I know of balancing issues and all that.) There is as much space as they need now though, with the carts going up to 8GB.

There would be no balance issues though if they made it where you go to a second region and you box all your pokemon, so you start with a new starter, and get your other team back after finishing the league, but I know it would never happen.

Scoop of the century? Maybe it's a time-related thing?

"Explore franch the new region in Adventure Mode, the default setting, or go retro with Classic Mode - a 2D experience detailing the ancient history of the new area!"

The big scoop will probably just be more Pokemon and plot details. I do hope they reveal some new multiplayer stuff, like some sort of online co-op.
So what do you guys think will be the "scoop of the century" or whatever Corocoro is marketing it as?

I think it would be pretty cool to go back to Unova and such, as a parallel to RB/GS. (Yes, I know of balancing issues and all that.) There is as much space as they need now though, with the carts going up to 8GB.

There would be no balance issues though if they made it where you go to a second region and you box all your pokemon, so you start with a new starter, and get your other team back after finishing the league, but I know it would never happen.
Size is a non issue as long as they reuse the same textures. Simply adding all 5 regions to the game with reused textures from Kalos would probably only add around a gig or so and then adding trainer data on top of that would be a tiny bit more. The real issue would be making a compelling reason for you to go back to these regions, other than nostalgia.

DaBoss

We already know the size of the game is 1.7GB.

I wonder how the camera works. It's been shown as dynamic, and makes me wonder how the controls are going to be.

Aggrotek

The big scoop will probably just be more Pokemon and plot details. I do hope they reveal some new multiplayer stuff, like some sort of online co-op.
Size is a non issue as long as they reuse the same textures. Simply adding all 5 regions to the game with reused textures from Kalos would probably only add around a gig or so and then adding trainer data on top of that would be a tiny bit more. The real issue would be making a compelling reason for you to go back to these regions, other than nostalgia.

I think nostalgia would be compelling enough, especially if Hoenn was included.

Boss Doggie

I can't believe Black 2 locked the Super Rod until after the Elite Four.

I honestly thought the Day Care being locked out is way worse. At the very least surfing can let you net water Pokemon for a while.

Eh I'd say you wouldn't miss out on anything without the rod. At least in BW.

BW2 though yeah it was implemented terribly there, but I guess it wouldn't matter anyway since you wouldn't get much different mons outside of Magikarp for Old Rod or a very slim chance of good Pokemon for Good Rod.

More like a hindsight than "two steps back".

Super Rod being the only Rod in BW was a good idea. The only mons you can catch in sea back then (due to Gen lockout) were Frillish/Jellicent/Basculin so there was no worries before as you can encounter them in Surf. It was implemented poorly in BW2 however.

And Vs Seeker became obsolete the moment Nimbasa Stadium comes out.

In hindsight the removal was more of an optimization thing (who the hell uses the weaker rods), but should've made it so that there's just one rod and gave it earlier.

How about the ability to go back to every region?

As much as fun as it is I'd rather have a very developed Kalos.

qq more

Super Rod being the only Rod in BW was a good idea. The only mons you can catch in sea back then (due to Gen lockout) were Frillish/Jellicent/Basculin so there was no worries before as you can encounter them in Surf. It was implemented poorly in BW2 however.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. It's a good idea they have just one Rod to make things simpler. Just baffled that there was not at least any kind of rod before post-game.

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. It's a good idea they have just one Rod to make things simpler. Just baffled that there was not at least any kind of rod before post-game.

And like I said, it makes sense in BW where the only sea Pokemon were the jellifish, a palindrome, and a bass, all of which you can surf fight. They were holding the rod in BW for the post-Gen mons. It's BW2 that was kinda iffy.

Top Bottom