• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Zeroth

Anyone else confused as to why the PokeBeach leaker who has been seen to have been correct many times already mentioned that Mawile was going to be gaining Fairy type and get an evolution failed to mention any of this?

Maybe he wanted to leak this later, maybe he wasn't responsible for the parts of the game that had said forms. There are many possibilities!

Anyone else confused as to why the PokeBeach leaker who has been seen to have been correct many times already mentioned that Mawile was going to be gaining Fairy type and get an evolution failed to mention any of this?
Maybe he just saw a Pokedex without any further info?

It's clear his info was incomplete, in any case.

Maybe he wanted to leak this later, maybe he wasn't responsible for the parts of the game that had said forms. There are many possibilities!

But you'd think if he knew those details about Mawile then he would know about this too! I suppose like you said he could have been saving it though, it just doesn't make much sense to me!

But you'd think if he knew those details about Mawile then he would know about this too! I suppose like you said he could have been saving it though, it just doesn't make much sense to me!

Here's all he said regarding Mawile:

Sylveon is Fairy-type. Some older Pokemon will be reclassified to Fairy, such as Mawile (Steel/Fairy). (WPM Note: Sylveon being Fairy and old Pokemon being reclassified is confirmed.)

No evolution mentioned or anything. Just that the Fairy typing will be added to Mawile. The guy played the game in, like, February so it's very likely that GameFreak simply didn't add Mega forms until afterward. They had it planned, of course, which is why he would have encountered Mawile during his playthrough.

No evolution mentioned or anything. Just that the Fairy typing will be added to Mawile. The guy played the game in, like, February so it's very likely that GameFreak simply didn't add Mega forms until afterward. They had it planned, of course, which is why he would have encountered Mawile during his playthrough.

Ah, fair enough, thanks for clearing that up. I'm pretty sure it's been said that Mega Evolutions have been trademarked since February, but of course this doesn't mean they were in that build of the game.

We have an Electric/Fairy-type called Dedenne (デデンネ). It is 0.2m and 2.2kg. It is the Antenna Pokémon and has the abilities Pick Up or the new ability Cheek Pouches

Imagine if the anime replaced Ash with XY trainer, with Dedenne being the trainers starter pokemon. Now we're stuck with ASh/Pikachu paring again :(

Macka

I still don't like the whole concept of Megalutions...

For starters I don't particularly like MegaBlaziken or MegaLucario, and while I do like MegaAbsol and MegaMawile, I don't see why they shouldn't have just been given proper evolutions instead. I have loathed Newtwo the entire time. If they fuck up Mega Charizard I will be gutted.

I mean, since these formes will no doubt be stronger than their base states, we are pretty much forced to use them...and I hate that! This isn't an interesting mechanic either...it's just so...forced. "Hey guys, how can we innovate the Pokemon franchise?"..."I KNOW GUYZ NEW FORMES FOR EVERYONE."

Ugh.

backlot

I mean, since these formes will no doubt be stronger than their base states, we are pretty much forced to use them...and I hate that! This isn't an interesting mechanic either...it's just so...forced. "Hey guys, how can we innovate the Pokemon franchise?"..."I KNOW GUYZ NEW FORMES FOR EVERYONE."

Ugh.
Wouldn't that also be the case with normal evolutions? I need to see more details on how these forms work but there is the potential for something really cool here.

Ezalc

Well the mega evolutions look stupid. Especially since one of them is a starter pokemon and the other was already a three tiered one and I still think the new Mewtwo looks godawful, as does a bunch of these other megaevolutions. Somebody get that pic that compares Charizard being designed in the first gen and now, it's basically what happened here.

Should have just given pokemon like Absol and Mawile a normal evolution.

Aggrotek

I will never understand gaming communities.

One minute everyone wants something new. Then when the game does something new everyone hates it. *rolls eyes*

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
13760210072703mavp.png

Why does Korea get it earlier? D:

Also yay buff Mega Lucario

qq more

One minute everyone wants something new. Then when the game does something new everyone hates it. *rolls eyes*

I'm not speaking against the Mega stuff since I think it's rather interesting and pretty cool. But new does not always mean good to everyone. Some people are going to complain simply because they aren't a fan of the concept.

Aggrotek

I'm not speaking against the Mega stuff since I think it's rather interesting and pretty cool. But new does not always mean good to everyone. Some people are going to complain simply because they aren't a fan of the concept.

True, but in a general sense it is a good thing that they are trying something new.

No, this is like when you ask a genie for a wish but you asked for it the wrong way, and he ends up turning your head into solid gold or something.

Anura

No, this is like when you ask a genie for a wish but you asked for it the wrong way, and he ends up turning your head into solid gold or something.

Or if you wish to be the president of the world and he makes you the president of a small mini golf company that focuses on putting world icons into their courses called "the world"

Or if you wish to be an icon to which all men can only aspire to even come close to and turns you into a beautiful woman

Or my favorite is that you wish for the genie to not grant this wish and the two conflicting commands cause the genie to explode into a universe distorting rift that frequently leaks horrid abominations into our realm

But yeah I get your point

Macka

Wouldn't that also be the case with normal evolutions? I need to see more details on how these forms work but there is the potential for something really cool here.
I only have issue with Pokemon like Blaziken and Lucario getting these Megalutions, because in my eyes they were fine as they were. Now (If I want to battle competitively), I'm going to be forced to use these new more powerful formes, and I don't like them as much as the originals. Absol and Mawile actually look good, but that's because they look like proper evolutions.

Every time something like this happens, a few people get on their high horse and shake their head disapprovingly at the people who don't like the change. Seriously? People will have different opinions. I don't dislike this because it's 'new', I don't like it because it feels unnecessary, and is pretty cheap as far as 'innovation' goes. What exactly will this bring to the table? Pokemon now go into God Mode and kill each other faster. I don't understand how that will make battles more interesting. The whole concept doesn't appeal to me, either. Half of the fun of Pokemon is seeing your guys evolve and become more powerful. Now, some Pokemon (like Absol and Mawile) don't properly evolve. They get temporary power-ups, and I'm sorry - that just isn't as cool.

I only have issue with Pokemon like Blaziken and Lucario getting these Megalutions, because in my eyes they were fine as they were. Now (If I want to battle competitively), I'm going to be forced to use these new more powerful formes, and I don't like them as much as the originals. Absol and Mawile actually look good, but that's because they look like proper evolutions.

Every time something like this happens, a few people get on their high horse and shake their head disapprovingly at the people who don't like the change. Seriously? People will have different opinions. I don't dislike this because it's 'new', I don't like it because it feels unnecessary, and is pretty cheap as far as 'innovation' goes. What exactly will this bring to the table? Pokemon now go into God Mode and kill each other faster. I don't understand how that will make battles more interesting. The whole concept doesn't appeal to me, either. Half of the fun of Pokemon is seeing your guys evolve and become more powerful. Now, some Pokemon (like Absol and Mawile) don't properly evolve. They get temporary power-ups, and I'm sorry - that just isn't as cool.
Do you find forms unnecessary?

JoeM86

No, but until now they have been exclusive to legendaries, and they also haven't been superior to their base forms.

These aren't forms ;)

Also, they haven't been exclusive to legendaries;

Unown
Castform
Burmy/Wormadam
Cherrim
Shellos/Gastrodon
Rotom
Darmanitan
Basculin
Deerling/Sawsbuck

Also, Rotom and Kyurems forms have an increase in BST.

Rotom: 440
Appliances: 520
Standard Kyurem: 660
BW Kyurem: 700

Macka

These aren't forms ;)
I know, but Coltraine asked if I also found forms unnecessary. That said - the few non-legends that have different forms make sense anyway, as (apart from Rotom) they are regional/seasonal/weather differences. I like formes.

I just don't like the concept of megalutions. Absol and Mawile probably won't get proper evolutions now, and that's disappointing.

I know, but Coltraine asked if I also found forms unnecessary. That said - the few non-legends that have different forms make sense anyway, as (apart from Rotom) they are regional/seasonal/weather differences. I like formes.

I just don't like the concept of megalutions. Absol and Mawile probably won't get proper evolutions now, and that's disappointing.
I asked because that's basically what these seem to be - alternate formes of Pokemon that have different base stats/abilites (yes yes, not formes, but whatever). I mean, what indication do you have that
Pokemon now go into God Mode and kill each other faster.
aside from a guess? Why is it unnecessary in comparison to formes which already exist? Do you actually know what it'll bring to the table, without even seeing the effects it'll have on competitive (presuming that's the table you're referring to)?

Other than that, opinions I guess. I find the concept intriguing personally, and can't wait to see how it's used ingame, as well as who gets stones and whatnot.

Macka

The way I see it, there are two ways this can be implemented.

Pokemon hold the 'Mega Stone' to access their more powerful formes for the duration of the battle. This is bad. Only certain Pokemon will have Megalutions, so this will more than likely cause balancing problems, as Pokemon with Megalutions will more than likely be much stronger than those without. Furthermore, if MegaBlaziken is more powerful than base Blaziken, suddenly Blaziken is obsolete. I really don't like the sound of that.

Now, option 2. Pokemon can access these formes if certain conditions are met in battle. This is a MUCH better option, especially if it can be somewhat skill based, because it avoids the base forms of Pokemon becoming obsolete - you start the battle with them and build towards activating 'Super Mode'. Unfortunately, there is no indicator that this is the way it's going to be handled.

CengizMan

It's a weird complaint, but I dislike the font of the in game text in Pokémon X and Y. I always liked the fonts in previous Pokémon games. X and Y's doesn't look that unique to me. It looks a bit bland.

Also, Mega Evolutions seem like a pretty big feature, since the double helix is also visible in the Japanese logos. I guess it will also be important storywise.

Now, option 2. Pokemon can access these formes if certain conditions are met in battle. This is a MUCH better option, especially if it can be somewhat skill based, because it avoids the base forms of Pokemon becoming obsolete - you start the battle with them and build towards activating 'Super Mode'. Unfortunately, there is no indicator that this is the way it's going to be handled.

From the official website:
To use a Mega Stone, give it to your Pokémon to hold. Pokémon capable of Mega Evolution will gain access to their potential only if they first carry a Mega Stone into battle. Other things are needed for Mega Evolution to succeed, and those secrets will be explained later!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find it silly asking about the English press release and in the next minute or so they popped up

oh my god I'm sooooo hyped right now I don't think I can last for W101 thread later

PK Gaming

It's a bit premature to speculate that these megavolutions will be flat out better than the original Pokemon. We know that the Mega Pokemon can't use items in battle which is already a confirmed downside, and some of them even have their abilities changed. In all due honesty, there's a strong chance that MegaMawhile, MegaAbsol and MegaAmpharos will probably be better than the original, but there's no use in getting pessimistic at the concept as a whole, since we haven't seen anything yet. Mega stones could potentially breath new life into Pokemon that were downright awful (in fact, it already has with Mawhile, Absol and Ampharos).

I personally think the mega forms will be like the Therian Forms, (IE Stat/ability changes that aren't inherently better or worse)

It's a bit premature to speculate that these megavolutions will be flat out better than the original Pokemon. We know that the Mega Pokemon can't use items in battle which is already a confirmed downside, and some of them even have their abilities changed. In all due honesty, there's a strong chance that MegaMawhile, MegaAbsol and MegaAmpharos will probably be better than the original, but there's no use in getting pessimistic at the concept as a whole, since we haven't seen anything yet. Mega stones could potentially breath new life into Pokemon that were downright awful (in fact, it already has with Mawhile, Absol and Ampharos).

I personally think the mega forms will be like the Therian Forms, (IE Stat/ability changes that aren't inherently better or worse)
There's a possibility of reversal of the transformation by using Knock Off/Thief and the like to remove the item - that could be a possible downside if that's the case.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah alright I've warmed to it. New Blaziken and Lucario look better than their originals. Ampharos looks dumb as fuck but I'm rocking an all Gen VI team anyway until I finish the story then will get on a competitive team. Hopefully the new super trainer thing makes it easier for me to know what I'm doing.

Macka

It's been confirmed on the website that Blaziken and Lucario are significantly powered up in their new formes. I am warming to the idea now though, since they do have to sacrifice an item slot AND there seems to be other conditions that need to be met as well. It's hopefully going to end up a gimmick that won't see use in competitive battling.

Zeroth

Yeah, the lack of items is a pretty big aspect to balance these pokemons. Even if they do end up stronger than their base forms, the fact they can't carry items like choice items or leftovers limit their movesets, maybe to a point where it evens out. You can see that these pokemon already have some good abilities to help them out in that aspect.

Macka

Yeah, the lack of items is a pretty big aspect to balance these pokemons. Even if they do end up stronger than their base forms, the fact they can't carry items like choice items or leftovers limit their movesets, maybe to a point where it evens out. You can see that these pokemon already have some good abilities to help them out in that aspect.
Now that we have more information, it's really starting to seem like these won't get much use competitively. It's been confirmed that the Pokemon who are able to megavolve have to sacrifice an item slot AND meet some other criteria to power up, so it requires way too much setup to be a viable strategy, UNLESS they become one-shot killing monsters (and at that point they'd be banned anyway).

On top of that, Pokemon that weren't competitively viable before (funnily enough the ones that could benefit the most from megalution) like Ampharos, Absol and Mawile would more than likely get a massive dent put in them before they even get a chance to megavolve, because their base stats are just too low. Oh, and if the move Knock-Off gets rid of the Mega Stone and reverts the MegaMon back to base form, every team online will carry that move and we'll never see a Mega Stone being used at all. This is why megalution shits me so much - Mawile and Absol should have proper evolutions that up their base stats, not this.

Even more lol if the Pokemon has to meet conditions to megavolve again after switching out.

Top Bottom