• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Firestorm

Oops. Forgot the phone had a microphone on the back so you can probably hear me clearer than everyone else. I hope I didn't say anything terrible.

Are there any drawbacks from stopping an evolution? I'm playing HeartGold again and I really don't want my Abra to evolve into an ugly Kadabra.

Aggrotek

Are there any drawbacks from stopping an evolution? I'm playing HeartGold again and I really don't want my Abra to evolve into an ugly Kadabra.

Abra learns literally no moves. So yea, thats a big drawback. Also, the stats drastically change when they evolve.

You can learn moves earlier with an earlier evolution and sometimes there are some moves you don't get to learn if you evolve a Pokemon.

And baby Kangaskhan is cool, I hope we get him as an actual Pokemon instead of just showing up in the MEGA form.

Sweet, Kangaskhan is one my favourites to use in online matches, no doubt I'll be trying out its Mega form. Now I want Arbok to get one too.

Your Pokemon will be weak as hell, especially Abra. Abra is so frail that you could blow air at it and it would die.

Abra learns literally no moves. So yea, thats a big drawback. Also, the stats drastically change when they evolve.

You can learn moves earlier with an earlier evolution and sometimes there are some moves you don't get to learn if you evolve a Pokemon.

And baby Kangaskhan is cool, I hope we get him as an actual Pokemon instead of just showing up in the MEGA form.

D'aww. But Kadabra is so ugly :(

Hello people,

The shiny-legendaries promotion is making me regret skipping generation 5. If I want to hop aboard it at the last moment, what do people recommend? Think rushing through black and black 2 in 2 months would leave me too burnt out for gen 6?

zroid

Banned
So Mega-Kangaskhan may have finally brought me onboard with this whole Mega thing. So awesome.

also, thanks Firestorm for uploading that! It's pretty cool to see so much Poké-hype all in one place.

also also, lol'ing at the mixed reaction to Mega Blaziken/Lucario/Mewtwo

Hello people,

The shiny-legendaries promotion is making me regret skipping generation 5. If I want to hop aboard it at the last moment, what do people recommend? Think rushing through black and black 2 in 2 months would leave me too burnt out for gen 6?

I'd honestly say wait because it won't be that long before they come out...I doubt you'll suffer burnout, even if you rush through them...I guess if I had to suggest one I'd say Black/White 2 since you can get older Pokemon easier in it...otherwise I'd say just wait.

Andrefpvs

Guys, I've been on a media blackout for 2 months now (my eyes are literally semi-closed while browsing this thread, lol), can someone just tell me whether we know already if Gen V Pokémon are transferable to XY? Thanks.

Caladrius

Guys, I've been on a media blackout for 2 months now (my eyes are literally semi-closed while browsing this thread, lol), can someone just tell me whether we know already if Gen V Pokémon are transferable to XY? Thanks.

They haven't said anything yet. I'm assuming so considering they're still doing distributions for Gen V games in the lead up to release.

FSLink

Banned
Disappointed that the Mega Kangaskhan reveal video didn't have people yelling
KANGAKANGAKANGASKHAAAAAAN like in the anime.

Question for anyone who has completed the Pokedex or the living Pokedex - what was the Pokemon that completed your dex? Mine was strangely Persian!

...Mega Metagross.

20100524234530!Quadraxis.png

I love that the Kangaskhan reaction was great and then they barely slipped by the info that it has an ability that lets it attack twice and made everyone immediately shit their pants in excitement.

DaBoss

...Mega Metagross.

I love that the Kangaskhan reaction was great and then they barely slipped by the info that it has an ability that lets it attack twice and made everyone immediately shit their pants in excitement.

Oh god....Quadraxis is one of THE BEST bosses in video games.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
For some reason I'm watching the Pokemon World Championships.
Must be craving the watching of competitiveness after Evo.

PK Gaming

Oh man, the hax that Aaron experience was cringeworthy. Cmon man, you can do this.

I wonder what will be the tagline for XY OT.

This isn't even my final evolution?

Haha, we should definitely use this.

EDIT: Aaron got robbed, that was actually painful to watch.

EDIT2: Yup thats game. Aaron got completely screwed by swagger / paralysis bullshit.

I hope they fix this garbage in gen V (Thundurus is an issue).

backlot

They should nerf Thundurus, that would be nicer.

I wasn't suggesting raising WoW's accuracy as a means of nerfing Thundurus. I'm not even sure how you would go about nerfing Thundurus unless you want to lower Swagger's accuracy or change the mechanics of confusion.

PK Gaming

I wasn't suggesting raising WoW's accuracy as a means of nerfing Thundurus. I'm not even sure how you would go about nerfing Thundurus unless you want to lower Swagger's accuracy or change the mechanics of confusion.

I know, my suggestion was mostly unrelated to yours. You pointed out that buffing WoW would help Aaron, but that's just ignoring the larger, central issue; Thundurus and its negative effect on the game.

Lowering Swaggers's accuracy would be one way to go about it, yes. It'll always dominate because Prankster is amazing, and nothing short of removing it from Thundurus (which isn't happening) would properly nerf it. Nerfing Prankster is out of the question too, since it affects tons of "not ridiculous" Pokemon. So really its a gray area, but nobody can really deny that Thundurus is super dumb.

Gen 2 wasn't some big change, though. Day/night, Dark and Steel types, Special Atk/Special Def. split were all more evolutionary than revolutionary. Nothing more game changing than the DV/IV and Stat Exp/EV expansion of Gen 3 or the Physical/Special split of Gen 4.

Things are changing constantly.

qq more

Gen 2 wasn't some big change, though. Day/night, Dark and Steel types, Special Atk/Special Def. split were all more evolutionary than revolutionary. Nothing more game changing than the DV/IV and Stat Exp/EV expansion of Gen 3 or the Physical/Special split of Gen 4.

Things are changing constantly.
Gen 2 did a lot of changes though. Cannot deny that. In my honest opinion, Gen 2's changes were far bigger.

Gen 2 had Day/Night, 2 new types, special split, breeding, berries, new inventory system, holding items, new ways for evolution (such as happiness), Select button items, exp bar in battles, new types of pokeballs, etc.

EDIT: Although thinking about it, I guess Gen 3 had its fair share of changes. Running shoes, VS seeker, double battles, contests, STAB, nature and abilities. There's probably more, but I did not like that they got rid of day/night.

I can't remember much of 4's other than online, touch screen and the physical/special split. What changes did Gen 5 bring by the way (outside of Infinite TMs and more selectable items)? I haven't finished BW (got the 7th badge) but it really felt like they didn't add much.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I can't remember much of 4's other than online, touch screen and the physical/special split. What changes did Gen 5 bring by the way (outside of Infinite TMs and more selectable items)? I haven't finished BW (got the 7th badge) but it really felt like they didn't add much.
Unlike other gens, V's changes are more nuanced and are hard to encapsulate. You could sum the changes they did as polish - polish polish polish. And it seems VI is keeping that polish.

Never really dug in to it mechanically but Gen 5 was a step back in terms of the single player adventure. Boring circuit region, cutting back on on HMs, just blah. Infinite TMs and the attempt at expanding the narrative were nice but the whole endeavour was a step back from D/P/Pt.

qq more

Never really dug in to it mechanically but Gen 5 was a step back in terms of the single player adventure. Boring circuit region, cutting back on on HMs, just blah. Infinite TMs and the attempt at expanding the narrative were nice but the whole endeavour was a step back from D/P/Pt.

As someone who mainly plays Pokemon for single player, I agree. I didn't miss HMs though, but you forgot to mention VS Seeker! VS Seeker was one of my favorite features :(

Unlike other gens, V's changes are more nuanced and are hard to encapsulate. You could sum the changes they did as polish - polish polish polish. And it seems VI is keeping that polish.

This is my issue with Gen V. While I appreciate the polish, but that's pretty much all they did. I imagine it's fine for competitive players, but as someone who plays single player... the only change that mattered to me was Infinite TMs and even that isn't enough to keep me interested.

Thankfully Gen VI seems to go with both polish and new additions. Hopefully that's enough to keep me playing from start to end.

Top Bottom