• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Aggrotek

Now that we have more information, it's really starting to seem like these won't get much use competitively. It's been confirmed that the Pokemon who are able to megavolve have to sacrifice an item slot AND meet some other criteria to power up, so it requires way too much setup to be a viable strategy, UNLESS they become one-shot killing monsters (and at that point they'd be banned anyway).

On top of that, Pokemon that weren't competitively viable before (funnily enough the ones that could benefit the most from megalution) like Ampharos, Absol and Mawile would more than likely get a massive dent put in them before they even get a chance to megavolve, because their base stats are just too low. Oh, and if the move Knock-Off gets rid of the Mega Stone and reverts the MegaMon back to base form, every team online will carry that move and we'll never see a Mega Stone being used at all. This is why megalution shits me so much - Mawile and Absol should have proper evolutions that up their base stats, not this.

Even more lol if the Pokemon has to meet conditions to megavolve again after switching out.

The competitive crowd should adapt to the game, not the other way around. And from what I am seeing I think this will shake things up and make it more interesting. Knock off might not actually revert the Pokemon back to normal. Once it "evolves" it could remain that way until the battle ends.

There is so much speculation still surrounding it, I don't see the point in getting this upset and bent out of shape about it. Shofu even mentioned that if Mega Lucario's attack is even higher than Lucario's and he gets Adaptability, he wouldn't even need the life orb. You are sacrificing an item for an overhaul in ability and stats, and that is awesome. It changes things up and makes it exciting.

Also, I am willing to bet the "other condition" is in reference to either the super training or pokemonamie.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT LEDGE JUMPING

BRPp4t3CQAAWxPW.jpg

Macka

I think the reason I dislike this so much is because it robs Pokemon who deserve proper evolutions the chance to get them, like Mawile and Absol. Why bother this late to try and slow down the size of the Pokedex? That said...I am coming around on the appearance of the Megalutions. They still look like themselves, only powered up a bit...and I guess I can roll with that. They better not screw up MegaCharizard though.

I think the reason I dislike this so much is because it robs Pokemon who deserve proper evolutions the chance to get them, like Mawile and Absol. Why bother this late to try and slow down the size of the Pokedex? That said...I am coming around on the appearance of the Megalutions. They still look like themselves, only powered up a bit...and I guess I can roll with that. They better not screw up MegaCharizard though.

Maybe Mega Charizard can turn into Smaug

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

I kind of felt that Generation IV was sort of the "last hurrah" for cross-Gen Evolutions anyway, or at the very least I was expecting that, if Pokemon got new Evolutions in Gen VI, they would only be Gen VI and V since they've yet to have a "new evolution" Gen, and special cases like Eevee.

I'm still wondering if they're doing any Baby Pokemon, though, can't see them letting that boat sail.

What about always-on EV tracking/training and grinding on rails and Skiddo ledge hopping

Grinding on rails is awesome but was previously confirmed, EV training/tracking is a godsend (now just make IVs easier plox), and Skiddo looks adorable and useful.

I can't believe that people think this game looks anything other than awesome. Even if you have misgivings about the Pokémon designs, the new graphics, mechanics and overall aesthetics look like they'll elevate this game into true greatness.

ST2K

I can't believe that people think this game looks anything other than awesome. Even if you have misgivings about the Pokémon designs, the new graphics, mechanics and overall aesthetics look like they'll elevate this game into true greatness.

Yup. I find the mega thing as a whole rather lame, but all those other things have me looking forward to this more than any other Pokemon game in recent memory.

Macka

I can't get behind the Mega thing at all, but I'll still be there day 1, and hopefully I'll get used to the idea with time.

That's more due to you not having the hardware though. There are people who are like "a sword Pokémon? That's it; I'm not buying this" and they fill me with sorrow.

No, that's due to everything being revealed not being appealing. I already plan on getting a 3DS sometime soon for AA5, but there hasn't been a single bit of news revealed so far that makes me say "I have got to buy Pokemon X/Y." Quite the opposite, in fact. All they need to do is say "you can't transfer Pokemon, so consider this a fresh start" and I can stop paying attention to the news.

I can't shake the feeling that maybe Worlds should have been held next week, just so it didn't clash with TI3.

There'd be more attention given to it at any rate.

What with the revelations of Super Training and Megalutions, I feel like more questions have been introduced than answered... which is a great thing, at this stage.

It seems like these games are gonna' offer a lot of content. Expand that pokedex!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
With Macka in that I'm really not sold on MegaLutions, but have liked most of the rest of what I've seen and thus remain on board. (fuck Sylveon tho)

Zelias

Banned
I've got several concerns about Mega Evolutions, not least the seemingly sporadic distribution and the potential of taking away evolutions from pokemon like Mawile that need them. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and we don't have that much information yet. So I'm not going to write it off.

On the other hand, all the speculation is cool, and it'll be interesting to see how these affect the competitive scene.

Plus Mega Ampharos is a badass.

Top Bottom