• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Macka

I've come to terms with Megalutions. I still don't like it, but I guess there's no point complaining since it's already done. Arbok and Manectric need to get Megalutions!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think that's somewhat unfair. In my experience, the further up the competitive echelons one reaches, the more liberal one tends to be about banlists. Much of the problem, if you view it that way, with excessive conservatism tends to result from the fact that the wider Smogon community can actually exert a much wider influence over the tiering process than before, and that wider community has a rather large number of scrubs in it.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I don't get Smogon. They play with pokemon generated by programs and not with naturally bred pokemon, right? I understand its the ultra-competitive nature of it but wouldn't it be a lot more fun to do it with a team you hand-reared?

Refyref

I don't get Smogon. They play with pokemon generated by programs and not with naturally bred pokemon, right? I understand its the ultra-competitive nature of it but wouldn't it be a lot more fun to do it with a team you hand-reared?

Some people just want to get to the battles, and not spend time on the training part.
I personally like that there are 2 stages for competition, but some people don't and that's fine.

Also, battle simulators aren't used just by Smogon/Smogon does not only play in simulators.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I see. It's like playing Warhammer but not painting the miniatures.

I check the site out occasionally, only to get distressed by reading how a particular pokemon I'm training is actually in the suck-tier.

Wichu

If you find battling fun, what should 'hand-rearing' a team have to do with it? Maybe it's not quite as satisfying when you win, but it has no effect on how fun the battles are. Might as well skip the time-consuming breeding and training.

In addition, if everyone's on a level playing field (in terms of simulator/RNG-bred Pokémon having perfect stats), then you can't put your wins/losses down to having better Pokémon - when you win, you know it's because you're more skilled than your opponent, and when you lose, you can't blame it on having worse Pokémon.

I see. It's like playing Warhammer but not painting the miniatures.

I check the site out occasionally, only to get distressed by reading how a particular pokemon I'm training is actually in the suck-tier.

Yeah, pretty much. It's for if you just want to get straight to the strategy.

Also, screw tiers. Unless you're actually trying to increase your rating, use whatever you want (same applies for GBU battles in-game). If you just want to have fun battling, use Pokémon you like using.

Bulbasaur

Banned
If you find battling fun, what should 'hand-rearing' a team have to do with it? Maybe it's not quite as satisfying when you win, but it has no effect on how fun the battles are. Might as well skip the time-consuming breeding and training.

In addition, if everyone's on a level playing field (in terms of simulator/RNG-bred Pokémon having perfect stats), then you can't put your wins/losses down to having better Pokémon - when you win, you know it's because you're more skilled than your opponent, and when you lose, you can't blame it on having worse Pokémon.

Yeah, pretty much. It's for if you just want to get straight to the strategy.

Also, screw tiers. Unless you're actually trying to increase your rating, use whatever you want (same applies for GBU battles in-game). If you just want to have fun battling, use Pokémon you like using.

I guess it negates the worry of facing someone who EV trains when you don't, which is a plus!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on the activation conditions. If MegaMawile is considerably difficult to field, I can see that being a fair trade-off for the sheer offensive force being brought to the table.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, unless base stats have been changed between Gen V and VI, we DO know that. Mega Mawile will hit like 590 Attack with the Huge Power ability, AND it won't have the paper thin defenses of Deoxys.

It's slow though.

Macka

True, but considering it hits that hard, has great typing and solid defenses...does it need to be fast? These Mega's are looking to be broken as hell tbh. Mega Kangaskhan using Double Edge, even if the baby only does half the power of the first attack, could OHKO almost every Pokemon in the game that isn't ghost or steel types.

Boss Doggie

True, but considering it hits that hard, has great typing and solid defenses...does it need to be fast? These Mega's are looking to be broken as hell tbh. Mega Kangaskhan using Double Edge, even if the baby only does half the power of the first attack, could OHKO almost every Pokemon in the game that isn't ghost or steel types.

Low HP too? So far a lot of the mega mons save for Mewtwo are very fragile.

Macka

Low HP too? So far a lot of the mega mons save for Mewtwo are very fragile.
Mega Mawile is far from 'fragile' dude. HP is average but the high defenses more than make up for it. I wouldn't call Mega Lucario fragile either. Ampharos gaining the Dragon typing gives it a bit of a defensive buff...

These Mega's are ridiculously powerful.

JoeM86

Well, unless base stats have been changed between Gen V and VI, we DO know that. Mega Mawile will hit like 590 Attack with the Huge Power ability, AND it won't have the paper thin defenses of Deoxys.

Who's to say that Mega Mawile's Attack doesn't drop after evolution. This does happen

PK Gaming

You know they will.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they banned all Fairy-types, just to keep things the same as before :p

I kid I kid.

You actually had me for a second.

<3

EDIT: I don't think they'll need to do anything, especially when you take into account the 1 Mega stone per team rule.

PK Gaming

Huh, is this something actually implemented into the game? Didn't know about that... interesting.

I may have phrased it wrong, but it's mentioned several times that you can only have one Mega Pokemon active in a battle. This leads me to believe that there will be an item limit OR it simply won't activate a second time.

789shadow

Banned
The MegaStone is also a hold item, which means that you have to sacrifice some other extremely common and useful hold item, and that it could potentially be Knocked Off.

Zeroth

Not sure if it has been stated, but the mega evolution is a command, not a thing that automatically happens when a pokemon enters a battle, so it will be very hard to pull it off without any problem.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Mega Mawile is far from 'fragile' dude. HP is average but the high defenses more than make up for it. I wouldn't call Mega Lucario fragile either. Ampharos gaining the Dragon typing gives it a bit of a defensive buff...

What if pokemon can damage mega stone and undone the evolution during the battle, such as like one or two attacks then bam, they would return back to their original form.

Boss Doggie

That means Mawile can be easily done with fire attacks or an aura sphere. Lucario's always been fragile unless you train it to be hard. Ampharos' Dragon typing doesn't interfere with its weakness (still weak to Ground) and on top of that gained more weaknesses as well.

But in the end we're still speculating, and our worries are pointless. You're overstating a lot of things (like Huge Power). Only Azumarill manages to use it properly.

zroid

Banned
I wonder if they're actually going to reveal all of Fairy's type interactions before release

I've said this before, but it'd be a fun way to hype people up if they roll those out gradually.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wonder if they're actually going to reveal all of Fairy's type interactions before release

I've said this before, but it'd be a fun way to hype people up if they roll those out gradually.

Next CoroCoro is supposed to have a Type Chart I believe.

I think it'd be pretty interesting if they've updated other Types too, would love to see Grass and Ice lose some weaknesses.

Grass deserves it, it suffers far too much to be actually useful. I hate being punished for wanting to use Vileplume or Ludicolo (Him being part water helps though).

Aggrotek

You can only have 1 mega pokemon on your team. I don't see how it is that big of a deal. It's not like people will have a team of 6 megas.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Cool Mega Evolution Art I've found:

e2IxPQr.png

PBqJQnI.png

Man, if they change up the type chart beyond just adding Fairy rows, that would be... pretty cool, no lie. Would also make me wonder if they're changing that, what other things would change...

base stats...?

Pokemon is numbers-based, not "skill-based." The tiers exist because some Pokemon are almost objectively inferior to others, and placing them in different categories prevents them from being completely unused. While there's a pretty slim difference between a number of "Underused" and "Overused" Pokemon, it's nothing like fighting game tiers. You can theoretically win with G-Dorf in Brawl if you're a ridiculously good player. But Pokemon is an RPG. There's no sort of "skill" that will somehow allow your Beedrill to outshine a Volcarona.

backlot

Pokemon is numbers-based, not "skill-based." The tiers exist because some Pokemon are almost objectively inferior to others, and placing them in different categories prevents them from being completely unused. While there's a pretty slim difference between a number of "Underused" and "Overused" Pokemon, it's nothing like fighting game tiers. You can theoretically win with G-Dorf in Brawl if you're a ridiculously good player. But Pokemon is an RPG. There's no sort of "skill" that will somehow allow your Beedrill to outshine a Volcarona.
I object to the idea that there is no skill in Pokemon. It takes plenty of skill to build a team and know how to react to the way your opponent is playing. It takes different skills than a fighting game but there is no formula you can plug Pokemon into to say "this team will beat that team 100% of the time".

I also don't think you should compare Pokemon 1 on 1 like in a fighting game. No Pokemon can beat every other Pokemon. That's why you get six of them.

That Mega Cofagrigus concept is exactly what I want for Mega Evos. Not just the same with spikes and scowling, but taking designs to their logical conclusions.

I object to the idea that there is no skill in Pokemon. It takes plenty of skill to build a team and know how to react to the way your opponent is playing. It takes different skills than a fighting game but there is no formula you can plug Pokemon into to say "this team will beat that team 100% of the time".

I also don't think you should compare Pokemon 1 on 1 like in a fighting game. No Pokemon can beat every other Pokemon. That's why you get six of them.

I just call that strategy. There are no reflexes required and it doesn't matter how dexterous either player is.

Zeroth

Bit of an odd choice to make Charizard lose its wings, not diggin' that. Cofagrigus is pretty neat though.

I'd like to see a Mega Serperior. Then it could have Contrary ability.

Probably so it can be Fire/Dragon. It can't be Dragon/Flying, after all.

Or maybe because it is
Fire/Fighting.

If Mega Charizard would be fire/dragon it could have Levitate. Losing the wings would be like a downgrade, don'tcha think?

Man, a Mega Charizard is like something a seven year old me would go nuts about. Like those pokegod things people used to make up.

Top Bottom