• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Anura

Who else here thinks poison should get a SE on water?

The logic could go either way (water washes away the slime and grime vs toxic junk polluting the waters) but I think poison needs a SE beyond fairy and lol grass

zroid

Banned
Who else here thinks poison should get a SE on water?

The logic could go either way (water washes away the slime and grime vs toxic junk polluting the waters) but I think poison needs a SE beyond fairy and lol grass

mutual SEs, aw yeah

DaBoss

Cool Mega Evolution Art I've found:

e2IxPQr.png

PBqJQnI.png

That Charizard design doesn't look good. Adding that red stuff is not really what I would like to have for a megalution for Charizard.

But Mega Cofigarus looks great.

still can't believe they pulled that stunt three generations in a row...UGH. I mean I love the Chimchar line a lot but still...

I think the Tepig line crossed the line. Doesn't help that the Tepig line is not nearly as good as the Torchic and Chimchar line.

Did we ever find out how Mega Evolutions are triggered in battle?

Not yet AFAIK.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I really dig the mega Mawile design but I think Amphaross still looks silly but now with a mane. And turning dragon type? Wtf? Who signed off on that??

I just realized this today, but the baby with Mega Kangaskhan isn't just the regular baby from Kangaskhan, it's a lot bigger and has an altered design. I guess when Kangaskhan goes Mega its baby ages and then de-ages after battle...
46js.png

w4rp.png

Anura

Erm, that's like saying playing chess has no skill :p

I went into this before in those thread

I like to sort out "winning" in competitive games by two sides of the same coin

One is technical skill that I mostly just simply call skill (fighter game tech like one frame links, long combo's, timing) this comes from practice and experience

The other is knowledge (frame data, match ups, and move/learn sets) this while still coming from experience a great deal can be learned from outside sources

They can also mesh together like P-linking a tech from street fighter used to make one frame links easier by pressing it in such a way to make the timing more forgiving (like by a lols worthy one extra frame or so)

Or perhaps predicting in pokemon

So I don't think chess takes skill but that doesn't mean it's easy or effortless!
quite the opposite in fact it simply takes more of the other half of the coin

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'd say it's mostly about different applications then.

Anyway I really hope we get new stuff this weekend at Gamescom, assuming their demo is the same as Tokyo's as well as the ones in the malls during August-September.

One is technical skill that I mostly just simply call skill (fighter game tech like one frame links, long combo's, timing) this comes from practice and experience

The other is knowledge (frame data, match ups, and move/learn sets) this while still coming from experience a great deal can be learned from outside sources

They can also mesh together like P-linking a tech from street fighter used to make one frame links easier by pressing it in such a way to make the timing more forgiving (like by a lols worthy one extra frame or so)

So I don't think chess takes skill but that doesn't mean it's easy or effortless!
I'm not trying to be mean here or anything, but your definition of skill is wrong.

Anura

I'm not trying to be mean here or anything, but your definition of skill is wrong.

I disagree with the technical part in the front

Besides dictionary definitions are NOT final in fact they are and have always been a guideline

Personally I find a need to differentiate between the two parts as they both are profoundly different (yet still important) and require different approaches to learning them

Does it matter? You're just talking about semantics at this point. All I was pointing out is the difference between Pokemon tiers and fighting game tiers.

Also, I got my first legitimate level 100 Pokemon. He still doesn't have a nickname, though. Here's a bad picture:

Firestorm

Pokemon is numbers-based, not "skill-based." The tiers exist because some Pokemon are almost objectively inferior to others, and placing them in different categories prevents them from being completely unused. While there's a pretty slim difference between a number of "Underused" and "Overused" Pokemon, it's nothing like fighting game tiers. You can theoretically win with G-Dorf in Brawl if you're a ridiculously good player. But Pokemon is an RPG. There's no sort of "skill" that will somehow allow your Beedrill to outshine a Volcarona.
pokemon will eventually have hundreds of tiers so every pokemon can be good!

There isn't really much difference between Pokemon tiers and fighting game tiers

Or you could just say "technical skill" like everybody else and not have to explain your ridiculous definition of skill every time

Aggrotek

Skill is skill, there may be different types of skill, but that doesn't mean Pokemon doesn't take skill.

Take on the World Champion of the VGCs and see what happens.

Edit: I didn't get around to posting yesterday's episode so here it is!
Team Plasma Sucks

Watch it while my new episode is uploading!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
By the way, what is this "Poke Gods" people are referring to? Is it something in the US during early internet years?

Ahh so it was an RB thing, I thought GSC was part of it.

There wasn't that much mysticism around GSC, primarily because unlike RB there was some actual quality control applied to the game (no easy-to-find missingno). Also, the anime's Johto run was really long and didn't feature that many teasers for the next generation early (so you didn't get the Golden Bird and Pikablu theories floating around).

Anura

pokemon will eventually have hundreds of tiers so every pokemon can be good!

There isn't really much difference between Pokemon tiers and fighting game tiers

Or you could just say "technical skill" like everybody else and not have to explain your ridiculous definition of skill every time

Well I forgot to say the first part often, you guys need to stop being so hostile on such minor thing

Anura

Its not a minor thing. Its like telling someone invalidating the competitive nature of the game..

You know what? Fine you win, pokemon is the most skillful game ever. I am ashamed I have even used another word to describe its metagame.

Now lets get off this downright dumb topic

Aggrotek

You know what? Fine you win, pokemon is the most skillful game ever. I am ashamed I have even used another word to describe its metagame.

Now lets get off this downright dumb topic

Thought you didn't want this to be hostile? I was calm and merely stated my opinion. Hyperbole/mocking isn't necessary. If anything it cheapens the discussion.

Guys guys guys...

What's your favorite attack from Pokemon? The one attack you always end up having on a Pokemon? For me, that would be Shadow Ball...it comes from my favorite type of Pokemon, it's Gen 2's way of making ghosts into a bigger threat and it's the most powerful ghost attack not exclusive to a legendary...and it looks cool. It does remind me that Ghost could use a few more attacks though!

Anura

Guys guys guys...

What's your favorite attack from Pokemon? The one attack you always end up having on a Pokemon? For me, that would be Shadow Ball...it comes from my favorite type of Pokemon, it's Gen 2's way of making ghosts into a bigger threat and it's the most powerful ghost attack not exclusive to a legendary...and it looks cool. It does remind me that Ghost could use a few more attacks though!

For me? I think it's surf, it comes from my favorite type and is one of the only good HMs

Why would you do that to poor Rayquaza?! He's a friendly guy... :(

If you've ever played the original Mystery Dungeon or Super Smash Bros. Brawl or watched Destiny Deoxys you'd think otherwise ;P

I can't remember how many times that moved saved me in the E4 (I don't remember which gens it was...) and I wasn't even the one using the move!

Probably Gen II or IV. Bruno liked to spam Hi-Jump Kick on his Hitmonlee all the time.

It could've also been V though since Marshall's Mienshao had HJK as well, but he used it far less than Bruno did.

qq more

If you've ever played the original Mystery Dungeon or Super Smash Bros. Brawl or watched Destiny Deoxys you'd think otherwise ;P

Those were imposters! The real Rayquaza is a gentleman.

AND YOU FUCKING KILLED HIM!!!! HOW COULD YOU?!?!?!?! LOOK AT POOR JIMMY! HE WITNESSED IT AND HE'S NOW TRAUMATIZED!!!

RIP Rayquaza my best friend 2219 - 523.....

Anura

Probably Gen II or IV. Bruno liked to spam Hi-Jump Kick on his Hitmonlee all the time.

It could've also been V though since Marshall's Mienshao had HJK as well, but he used it far less than Bruno did.

I'm pretty sure it was a hitmonlee so I guess I have Bruno to thank!

Top Bottom