• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Caladrius

I'm not all that familiar with stats so I'm a little lost. And I sort of don't understand the tone of your post, is the yelling directed at me or Game Freak?

The yelling is at Gamefreak. Fire is weak to rock, ground and water and all of the types fire resists are weak to it anyway. Psychic would also add dark and ghost weaknesses and neutralize Fire's bug resistance. Passing that off on a defensive Pokemon would be suicide.

(Bulky pokemon are supposed to be pokemon that can take a good few hits while dishing out some pain in return)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Not sure if this is true, but people reported that Pokemon in the demo can apparently shrug off Paralysis. I guess something to do with Pokemon-Amie?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man seeing Chespin kick ass was awesome. dat badass backhand woodhammer to those that defy his will was awesome

slapopasn.gif

Quest1

Hmm I guess Vaporeon is the exception? And Cute Charm can be on either gender. I managed to net a male Jiggs with CC for catching a female Combee!

I think Jolteon is better with Volt Absorb over Quick Feet. And Umbreon with Synchronize is better than Inner Focus.

Jolteon, Umbreon, and Vaporeon want their normal abilities in most cases. Which ability to use on Glaceon depends on how much of a troll you are.

Vaporeon gets Hydration...

Hence why I said "in most cases" just in case someone wants to run a gimmicky Hydration + Rest set. However, Water Absorb is typically superior. Water attacks aren't that rare so it's very nice to have. Yeah, Vaporeon can resist these and has good special defense but Water type attacks can be ridiculously powerful, particularly in the rain.

Vaporeon's Hydration means that it can work as a pseudo-Manaphy (mainly the Rest-Hydration combo) thanks to Politoed's Drizzle. It's really more of a decision if you want Vaporeon be able to switch into Water moves or not.

Jolteon's Quick Feet is very situational. Even then, you have to give up a useful hold item (like Balloon or Life Orb) to guarantee the speed boost. In most cases, you would want Volt Absorb anyways so you can switch into Electric moves.

Flareon's Guts means that it will achieve 591 Atk the moment it gets a status. However, the only useable status is poison because Flareon gets screwed by its Fire typing and its slow speed. I see it as a high-risk/high-reward sort of scenario. Again, you could also decide that you want Flareon to be able to switch into Fire moves.

Espeon's Magic Mirror is what is putting it in OU at the moment. The ability to reflect status moves and hazards is vastly better than sharing a status effect.

Umbreon has no real reason to use Inner Focus other than to attack through Fake Out and flinch hax.

Leafeon's Chlorophyll makes it a decent physical sweeper in a Sun team. Also Leaf Guard is not as good as it's rain counterpart.

Ice Body is useful for the healing if that's your thing but that's about it. Glaceon is a Hail troll who wants to shoot Blizzards from 130 base Sp.Atk at you with 100% accuracy while dodging your attacks.

Vaporeon's Hydration means that it can work as a pseudo-Manaphy (mainly the Rest-Hydration combo) thanks to Politoed's Drizzle. It's really more of a decision if you want Vaporeon be able to switch into Water moves or not.
It's actually more of a "Wish or Rest?" decision because that typically determines what ability you're using. Wish -> Water Absorb, Rest -> Hydration.

Wish is much more reliable IMO because it can be used in Sandstorm. Or in the Sun. Or in Hail. Or on a non-rain team. It can work in a multitude of conditions and isn't screwed if the weather changes. I suppose HydroRest can work if you're using Politoed and are able to keep the weather up but I'd rather go with Wish.

The rest of your post is spot-on though.

It's actually more of a "Wish or Rest?" decision because that typically determines what ability you're using. Wish -> Water Absorb, Rest -> Hydration.

Wish is much more reliable IMO because it can be used in Sandstorm. Or in the Sun. Or in Hail. Or on a non-rain team. It can work in a multitude of conditions and isn't screwed if the weather changes. I suppose HydroRest can work if you're using Politoed and are able to keep the weather up but I'd rather go with Wish.

The rest of your post is spot-on though.

Alright. I kind of forgot that Vaporeon learned Wish.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm so looking forward to playing the game and not caring about EV training and natures and whatnot. That's just too intense for me.

Do we have Spoiler rules for when the games come out? Like, what's allowed to be posted and whatnot?

Do we have Spoiler rules for when the games come out? Like, what's allowed to be posted and whatnot?

Usually things that are revealed about the game before release is fair game, but anything else should be handled with care and unspoiled, unless it's something pretty fundamental to the game that they didn't really touch up on before the game came out, though I doubt there will be much. Of course things early on in the game you can be more lax on talking about, compared to later game stuff.

If people want us to keep spoilers to another thread, we can. I usually don't care about spoilers, especially for Pokemon but others may mind.

If people want us to keep spoilers to another thread, we can. I usually don't care about spoilers, especially for Pokemon but others may mind.

Yes, most of the X and Y talk after launch should be regulated to the |OT| while this thread should remain for the most part spoiler free.

And remember avatars can be considered spoilers as well.

Yes, most of the X and Y talk after launch should be regulated to the |OT| while this thread should remain for the most part spoiler free.

And remember avatars can be considered spoilers as well.

When will it be safe to change our avatar to that of a Pokemon that we didn't know about until the game was released?

When will it be safe to change our avatar to that of a Pokemon that we didn't know about until the game was released?

I guess since the game is being released worldwide simultaneously, it shouldn't be as big of a problem as it was before. Just be mindful and don't change it right away, like the day the game comes out or too soon after.

I guess since the game is being released worldwide simultaneously, it shouldn't be as big of a problem as it was before. Just be mindful and don't change it right away, like the day the game comes out or too soon after.

Yeah, I'd say as long as it isn't a post game legendary about a week or two should be fine.

Smiley90

Yeah, I'd say as long as it isn't a post game legendary about a week or two should be fine.

That was essentially what my post/question was about. If people are gonna post pics of legendaries or max evolutions of unreleased pokemon in this thread I'm gonna have to un-sub again :/

I personally think treating the Pokemon themselves as spoilers is kinda silly. If you're sensitive to something that basic you should probably just keep off the internet until you've caught them all.

That would be advisable if this weren't the only thread for discussing the entire Pokemon series. Maybe people want to discuss something other than X & Y without getting spoiled. Not me, but somebody.

The point is more that I really don't think names/designs are spoilers and if someone is worried about a picture of a Pokemon or Gym Leader or whatever appearing in an avatar it's probably more on them to keep off the internet or disable avatars or whatever than for everyone else to accommodate such a broad definition of the term.

Keeping X/Y discussion in the X/Y thread is totally reasonable, though.

Smiley90

That would be advisable if this weren't the only thread for discussing the entire Pokemon series. Maybe people want to discuss something other than X & Y without getting spoiled. Not me, but somebody.

I can compromise on keeping future X/Y talk to that thread but good luck to those trying to avoid any sort of spoilers.

That's my point though. I want to go into the game not knowing which pokemon evolve into badasses and which ones are crap. And there's only one pokemon thread here. I barely have a choice...

At least for the first month after release, 99% of X and Y discussion should stay in the games' official thread, which will probably be available around the last week of September.

During that time, feel free to politely direct anyone that way if this thread suddenly turns into X/Y |OT2|.

Toxi

Banned
I decided I'm doing an all poison playthrough of Black 2, since there are a ton of poison types near the beginning of the game: Venipede, Koffing, Grimer, and Trubbish are all available before the third gym leader. Koffing's going to be my best friend against dastardly ground types.

Haha wow, do you know what species that is?
And Galvantula is a boss but I prefer cute little Joltik.
Maratus volans, the peacock jumping spider. The male in the gif is doing his courtship dance.

Personally speaking, I'm staying off the web from mid-September until I've finished my first run through. I'm under no illusions over my own self-control or the likelihood of someone else accidentally spoiling me.

clemenx

Banned
Guys, has anything been said about transferring Pokemon from previous games? Or is it likely there's going to be another great divide like between Gen II and III.
I hope they come up with something at least via the Pokemon Global Link or something.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Guys, has anything been said about transferring Pokemon from previous games? Or is it likely there's going to be another great divide like between Gen II and III.
I hope they come up with something at least via the Pokemon Global Link or something.

They said that they are working on it, but I have a bad feeling that we might be forced to start over. I think I'm going to refused to start over.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
that attack animation is terribad

Eh it's kinda expected. At the very least it seems like they have more than one attack animation unlike in the console games lol

With that said the GIF is poor - you need to see the video to see it better.

Ezalc

Question for anybody who remembers.

I'm still not sure which version I'll end up getting, I don't know if it happened or not but before with Black/White 1/2 did we know all the version differences or did we have to wait for the games to come out to find out these things?

EDIT: Broakie being the fast one? Just cements him being the best starter this gen. Aw yeah water.

Top Bottom