• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

GoldStarz

Ugh, I'm going to have to figure out something I have too many glass canons on my team:
Simipour, Swanna, Volcarona, and Furret (sort of).

Any speedy ice types available for you? You get an Ice Beam on a BlazeBlack!Serperior and that's 4x weakness right there and Serperior isn't the most defensively viable mon available.

Any speedy ice types available for you? You get an Ice Beam on a BlazeBlack!Serperior and that's 4x weakness right there and Serperior isn't the most defensively viable mon available.

I beat Cheren on my second try so I'm good on that now. I did have a Beartic earlier, but boxed it. Now I'm looking for a Simpour replacement. I just caught a Bouffalant, so that might be good.

Busaiku

Man, the English track has fallen off massively since Olympia.
Was never this horrendous before, wonder if the budget was cut. Might explain the time slot change as well.
Maybe 7th gen show will skip Cartoon Network entirely.

Busaiku

This is just me assuming things.

The English has been absolutely horrendous lately. Olympia, the ninja, and so on. These major roles sound like stuff from the 90s era of dubbing.
The time slot is now at 7 AM Eastern/Pacific though, which is an hour earlier than it's been for a while (it got bumped up 30 minutes after Beyblade ended, some time into Best Wishes). That's 6 AM Central, so I can never catch it live.

From that, I'm assuming the budget got slashed.

GoldStarz

This is just me assuming things.

The English has been absolutely horrendous lately. Olympia, the ninja, and so on. These major roles sound like stuff from the 90s era of dubbing.
The time slot is now at 7 AM Eastern/Pacific though, which is an hour earlier than it's been for a while (it got bumped up 30 minutes after Beyblade ended, some time into Best Wishes). That's 6 AM Central, so I can never catch it live.

From that, I'm assuming the budget got slashed.

I get that, but the dub has pretty much always been bad, especially since 4Kids left. Why is it especially terrible now?

Busaiku

I've never been that down on it before. Wasn't too big on 4Kids myself though. It is worse now than I can ever recall.
Search some clips of Olympia prophesizing, it is beyond horrendous.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wasn't there some issue with the dub's vocal director having to quit his job recently? I feel like I read that in here recently.

I recall it was a serious accusation against the vocal director of raping a patron at a convention, though I'm unsure what the verdict ultimately was.

Watch Da Birdie

Oh yeah, let's talk about the XY crew right now...

Greninja - Since he was Froakie he's always been a cool Pokemon to watch fight, but to be honest I don't really feel him in terms of personality---nowhere near as memorable as Charizard or Sceptile were to be honest, he's kind of a badass but most of the time is kind of flat. I liked the episode where he and Hawlucha had a rivalry, that one filler with Trevenant, but since then it seems like he never really interacts with the rest of the cast much. Ash Greninja is legitimately hype though.

Talonflame - Eh, your usual Bird Pokemon, not exactly the most expressive but has enough basic character to not feel as dull as, say, Pidove. I still think Swellow and Staraptor beat it out, but I'm glad to see it wasn't sidelined like Pidgeotto, Noctowl, and Unfezant were outside of a few focus episodes they got. The fact it isn't the team's sole flyer I think sort of hurts it though.

Hawlucha - The heart of Ash's XY team as far as I'm concerned, a great battler who can simultaneously be hilariously awkward giving him a nice three-dimensional feel. Plus he gets the most interaction with the other Pokemon it seems and feels like the most developed of Ash's Pokemon, not to mention HE HAS HIS OWN THEME SONG. From the moment I saw Hawlucha I figured he'd be pretty popular and pushed by the show, so this isn't too surprising. P-Pokken tho...

Goodra - Shit. Seriously, it was nothing more than a glorified plot device and the fact it ended up being inserted into Ash and Clemont's Gym Battle, as the final battler no less, pisses me off to no end. Seeing it leave right after only highlights that was really the sole purpose it was meant to fill. I also consider its focus episodes to be some of XY's weakest, especially when Sliggoo evolved into Goodra which felt completely undeserved, and I really don't wanna see it again though there are hints it might pop back up perhaps for the Kalos League. Its final arc was kind of nice, but enough to erase the stench of the gooey devil.

Noivern - I haven't got to when it evolves, but Noibat I have mixed feelings on---it feels like it came in a bit too late, sort of like Gible did in Diamond and Pearl, though on the other hand it replaced the horrible Goodra so I like it more than when Gible replaced Gliscor, the latter actually being a good character and not a cheap plot device. Its interactions with Hawlucha are cute, but it seems to have a weird development where at first it was really weak, then it suddenly seemed to be fairly capable, and then it went and evolved fairly fast. I don't believe we've seen it much post-evolution, since we went straight into Serena's TriPokathalon stuff, so how does it act now?

Braixen - Fennekin was dull, but around the time the writers gave Serena a goal and evolved Braixen I've sort of grown to like it. I used to consider Braixen a gross, pandering design, but perhaps because of the show I've slowly begun to warm up to it---and I'm seemingly not the only one since its inclusion in Pokken suggests it has a fairly big following perhaps. I don't expect Braixen to evolve because its middle-form seems to be the star of the line, something that arguably hasn't happened except with Grovyle, and I hope it never does because I still dislike how Delphox looks.

Pancham - Fucking adorable with those glasses. Every time Pancham's on screen I can't help but smile, and its rivalry with Chespin is really amusing and has yet to wear thin for me---this is the first time I think the show has really carried a rivalry like this without just dropping it. In the past we had small rivalries with Grovyle and Corpish and Buizel and Croagunk, but both of those quickly subsided and never really went anywhere, here it's something the writers seem to push pretty well and use it in fairly amusing ways.

Sylveon - I'm tired of Eevee and its ilk. The only positive aspect for me is its interaction with Bunnelby, which I don't know if that's a thing now that it's evolved since I just watched that episode, otherwise I wonder how they'll keep it interesting now that the PokeAthalons are over and there's not much to it now that I assume it's also no longer shy which was its personality trait.

Chespin - The new Piplup/Oshawott, just like everyone figured based on his design, yet a bit held back compared to those two---but I find him pretty adorable and his gluttony and rivalry with Pancham are pretty good gags. "Rima Rima!" I also like how we have a Starter representing each evolutionary stage right now---makes me wonder how cool a Greninja/Braixen/Chespin character in Smash 4 would've been.

Bunnelby - The heart of the team as far as I'm concerned, turning the "Regional Rodent" into the team's big-brother figure was the greatest idea in the history of the series. The eternal straight-man to the antics of all of its friends, not to mention a rather skilled and useful battler, it was so fitting that one of the Pokemon TV channels is entitled "I Love Bunnelby"---because truer words have never been spoken. Bunnelby is the best Pokemon in the HISTORY of the entire series.

Luxray - Really nothing much to it beyond serving as Clemont's main battler, but I do love seeing a random old Pokemon get pushed into the spotlight without having to promote a new game or remake. I wish this happened more to be honest, like imagine if Ash's Grass-type happened to be an old one like Tropius the writers decided to show some love to for no reason? Though I guess that could've tied into ORAS...kind of sad that didn't happen now.

Dedenne - My favorite Pikachu clone honestly, and a cute character who doesn't overstay its welcome. The writers use it sparingly enough that it doesn't get on your nerves, and being sort of an "attachment" to Bonnie forms a great dynamic.

Squishy - Who'd have thought a (anime-only?) Forme for a Legendary could be such an entertaining character? One of the more unique Pokemon to have ever traveled with the cast, its design looks kind of lame yet something about it is oddly cute, and the "wololol" goes a long way as well---plus the fact this cute little dude is basically like a higher intelligence is a fun twist.

Inkay - Adorable. After the failures that were the Best Wishes Team Rocket Pokemon, despite being neat Pokemon in themselves, I was glad to see the writers remember the Team Rocket Pokemon could be both villains and cute characters in their own right. Inkay is kind of like Chimecho and Mime Jr., though he actually gets to fight, and I like that nice mix even though it's kind of odd seeing him hold his own against all these evolved Pokemon especially after Gourgeist evolved. The gag with him dressing up as Pikachu is inspired, and I want that to be a real thing in Sun and Moon.

Gourgeist - Glad to see it getting more attention now, it bugged me how it seemed to get less screentime than Inkay originally when it was a Pumpkaboo such as not getting to appear in the Diancie Movie or its short though Inkay did. I remember thinking female Pyroar was the best fit for Jessie in Kalos due to the hair style, but really Gourgeist is the true Pokemon who was made to be teamed up with her.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just noticed you change your avatar from Chief.

WHYYYY D: *shift car honking*

and Hawlucha is rubbing off to Noibat, hence the the mad skills

Chase17

I really enjoyed Goodra vs Luxray. Warrants their use for me, especially since each are one of my favorite Pokemon in their respective region. And Ash used Goodra's ability in the gym battle, for that alone it gets a pass.

Chespin was robbed though, and he knew it.

And there was that time Goomy was afraid of Dedenne. That was fun, right?

God, I wish they'd kept Goomy longterm.

Not Goodra, just Goomy.

Dedenne is the cutest, most loveable Pokémon we've ever had in the series, and is a large part of what makes Bonnie so good, so there's that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Besides the music edits I find the dub pretty good these days. Its definitely been a show that's only ever cared about finding decent VAs for the main characters and some of the important side characters though.

Watch Da Birdie

I watched the dub of the Pokemon Band Pikachu Short and was impressed by the Pokemon voices, though I believe some of the singing voices in that short were kept from the original to match the tune of Gao Gao All Stars since Pikachu's voice, which they couldn't change, served as the backbone of the tune.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Oh yeah, let's talk about the XY crew right now...

Greninja - Since he was Froakie he's always been a cool Pokemon to watch fight, but to be honest I don't really feel him in terms of personality---nowhere near as memorable as Charizard or Sceptile were to be honest, he's kind of a badass but most of the time is kind of flat. I liked the episode where he and Hawlucha had a rivalry, that one filler with Trevenant, but since then it seems like he never really interacts with the rest of the cast much. Ash Greninja is legitimately hype though.

Talonflame - Eh, your usual Bird Pokemon, not exactly the most expressive but has enough basic character to not feel as dull as, say, Pidove. I still think Swellow and Staraptor beat it out, but I'm glad to see it wasn't sidelined like Pidgeotto, Noctowl, and Unfezant were outside of a few focus episodes they got. The fact it isn't the team's sole flyer I think sort of hurts it though.

Hawlucha - The heart of Ash's XY team as far as I'm concerned, a great battler who can simultaneously be hilariously awkward giving him a nice three-dimensional feel. Plus he gets the most interaction with the other Pokemon it seems and feels like the most developed of Ash's Pokemon, not to mention HE HAS HIS OWN THEME SONG. From the moment I saw Hawlucha I figured he'd be pretty popular and pushed by the show, so this isn't too surprising. P-Pokken tho...

Goodra - Shit. Seriously, it was nothing more than a glorified plot device and the fact it ended up being inserted into Ash and Clemont's Gym Battle, as the final battler no less, pisses me off to no end. Seeing it leave right after only highlights that was really the sole purpose it was meant to fill. I also consider its focus episodes to be some of XY's weakest, especially when Sliggoo evolved into Goodra which felt completely undeserved, and I really don't wanna see it again though there are hints it might pop back up perhaps for the Kalos League. Its final arc was kind of nice, but enough to erase the stench of the gooey devil.

Noivern - I haven't got to when it evolves, but Noibat I have mixed feelings on---it feels like it came in a bit too late, sort of like Gible did in Diamond and Pearl, though on the other hand it replaced the horrible Goodra so I like it more than when Gible replaced Gliscor, the latter actually being a good character and not a cheap plot device. Its interactions with Hawlucha are cute, but it seems to have a weird development where at first it was really weak, then it suddenly seemed to be fairly capable, and then it went and evolved fairly fast. I don't believe we've seen it much post-evolution, since we went straight into Serena's TriPokathalon stuff, so how does it act now?

This is pretty much how I feel about Ash's Kalos team, Hawlucha I feel is his best Pokémon so far.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The Pokémon showcase in the Pokémon X and Y animé are a major step back from contest as there's no challenge or skills involved which makes them boring to watch.

Watching Pokemon 2000 on TV at the moment. Man, I miss when Legendary Pokemon felt...mysterious.

Yeah, it's why I went with Pokémon Silver as he was so majestic and mysterious in the movie and I felt the same when playing Silver.

It's also why I feel nothing towards the gen 6 legendary Pokémon as they are just there or get skipped over completely.

Really hoping that the same doesn't happens with Sun and Moon legendary.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Glad you guys are loving Dedenne and Bonnie. The next episode is really gonna tingle you guys then.

Long story short I got a Shiny Gliscor perfect IV and EV trained in a trade awhile back.

My issue is its level 100 and the way it's EV trained doesn't make much sense to me. (Has way too much point in Speed EV, almost maxed)

If I reset it and EV trained it the way I want would it get get the proper stat points or would it ruin it?

Theorymon

Long story short I got a Shiny Gliscor perfect IV and EV trained in a trade awhile back.

My issue is its level 100 and the way it's EV trained doesn't make much sense to me. (Has way too much point in Speed EV, almost maxed)

If I reset it and EV trained it the way I want would it get get the proper stat points or would it ruin it?

It should get the stat points you want. Curious though, what nature is it? Gliscors that pack a ton of speed aren't totally unknown. Ive seen them on Battle Spot before to try and snipe Lucario before it mega evolves (guess they're paranoid about the Special Attackers)

It should get the stat points you want. Curious though, what nature is it? Gliscors that pack a ton of speed aren't totally unknown. Ive seen them on Battle Spot before to try and snipe Lucario before it mega evolves (guess they're paranoid about the Special Attackers)

It's an Impish nature. I think I'll keep it as is.

It's Shiny and it looks awesome. I don't know a good move set for it.

I'm Thinking @ Toxic Orb
Facade
Knock off
Earthquake
Sword Dance

Articalys

Just finished up back-to-back playthroughs of X and Omega Ruby, completing my month-long catchup of Gen 6 so I've played at least one game from each mainline set released so far. Took the announcements of Sun and Moon back in late February to finally get me in gear again, as I hadn't played anything since finishing White 2 soon after it came out, so... a bit over a three-year gap there.
I feel like I have lots to say about Gen 6, but I'm a terrible critic and even worse writer, though I still might post some thoughts eventually.

Looking forward to whatever five-second Gen 7 clip for they're going to show soon.
I really hope they've improved the engine, and also that any improvements aren't only for New3DS users.

Watch Da Birdie

With all the vehicles we saw in the concept art I wonder if driving around in a vehicle might be a major mechanic---like Fossil Fighter Frontier did.

Mr-Joker

Banned
With all the vehicles we saw in the concept art I wonder if driving around in a vehicle might be a major mechanic---like Fossil Fighter Frontier did.

I hope not, I like walking around the region.

HM08-Drive

tumblr_ndtt9xB6vF1s3wjuno1_400.gif

Watch Da Birdie

I mean like a mix---perhaps traditional walking routes alongside open-area segments where you get to drive around.

It'd be cool story-wise if in this Region getting your Starter coincides with getting your driver's license.

WPS

I'm pretty sure player characters for B/W were designed to be around 15/16. Same for X/Y, I think.

I think the only ones we've been given hints for are the B1W1 protags, who were said to be designed as 15-16 and then later clarified as 14.

Regardless, if you use the pokédex size functions they've all been steadily getting taller, and therefore probably older. FR's Red's pretty much child sized, OR's Ruby is comparable to smaller adults. I think X's Calem is an umbra witch.

Daemul

Red/Leaf are 11, May/Whatshisface(I can never remember this guys name) are 12, Hilbert/Hilda and Nate/Queen Rosa are 14 iirc, though Hilda/Hilbert look more like 16 year olds tbh, and Calem/Serena are implied to be older than Emma who is 16.

I have no idea about Ethan/Lyra(RIP Kris) and Dawn/Lucas.

I think the only ones we've been given hints for are the B1W1 protags, who were said to be designed as 15-16 and then later clarified as 14.

Ah, this explains it. They kept the original designs but took a couple of years off their age. I was scratching my head in confusion at how they could be 14 when they clearly look older, now I see what happened.

GoldStarz

Red/Leaf are 11, May/Whatshisface(I can never remember this guys name) are 12, Hilbert/Hilda and Nate/Queen Rosa are 14 iirc, though Hilda/Hilbert look more like 16 year olds tbh, and Calem/Serena are implied to be older than Emma who is 16.

I have no idea about Ethan/Lyra(RIP Kris) and Dawn/Lucas.

RSE's male protag is Brendan

Daemul

RSE's male protag is Brendan

Thanks. I should really remember his name since I always play as the male protagonists and I always use their canon names, but even though I've played through Gen 3 as Brendan so many times I still struggle with his name and I need to look it up every time I want to start a new playthrough of Hoenn.

Watch Da Birdie

So people have been extracting stuff from the Go demo---seems for now there's only the 150 original Pokemon, but some of the later moves are included. I think Moonblast is in pointing that it may use the Fairy-type.

EDIT: Dark-type is in the data too.

I hope GameFreak goes back to all the already created Pokémon in Sun and Moon and readjust stats and abilities for them.

They're 720 already created Pokémon but when playing competitively you tend to see the same ones over and over because they tend to be the ones with the best stats or abilities or both.

GameFreak doesn't need to nurf the already Good Pokémon just go back and work on the Pokémon that are lacking.

I'm over here doing everything I can to make Electivire matter over here in comoetitve play but lol... it's Electivire.. That's what a random texted after he barely beat me and Electivire was my last Pokémon.

I'm looking for a telepathy noibat. Anyone got a spare? I might have something you want in return. Let me know. Thanks.

Edit: had dragon safari on my Y version.

GoldStarz

I hope GameFreak goes back to all the already created Pokémon in Sun and Moon and readjust stats and abilities for them.

They're 720 already created Pokémon but when playing competitively you tend to see the same ones over and over because they tend to be the ones with the best stats or abilities or both.

GameFreak doesn't need to nurf the already Good Pokémon just go back and work on the Pokémon that are lacking.

I'm over here doing everything I can to make Electivire matter over here in comoetitve play but lol... it's Electivire.. That's what a random texted after he barely beat me and Electivire was my last Pokémon.

They did that in X/Y, but they kinda fucked up in some places, like forgetting to adjust Moonblast to align with it's equivalents.

GoldStarz

At least the models look nice in Go, if that picture is an indicator of anything.

im still hoping some models are adjusted for sun/moon tbh

They did that in X/Y, but they kinda fucked up in some places, like forgetting to adjust Moonblast to align with it's equivalents.

They did? If they did GameFreak didn't do a good job. Only Pokémon I remember getting a slight stat boost was Pikachu and maybe one other.

v1perz53

They did? If they did GameFreak didn't do a good job. Only Pokémon I remember getting a slight stat boost was Pikachu and maybe one other.

It was literally just giving a bunch of random mon +10 in a random base stat (+20 for Pikachu), nothing too game changing. I would love for them to go back and maybe let some of the old physical/special dual types be a little more specialized now that moves are split, nothing crazy though. Like, Claydol doesn't need 70 atk 70 S. Atk, and I don't think it would be too OP to shift it to something like 60/80. I think a lot of the more useless pokemon are that way because their stats are too flat across the board, which sometimes was purposeful but sometimes was because they were forced into it based on original design for Gen 1/2/3.

Not holding my breath though, and I'm not sure it would be worth the time to me if it would mean getting as few new Pokemon as we did in X/Y.

Theorymon

Yeah the only Pokemon that I feel got a relevant boost was Raichu, who is now pretty usable in doubles and VGC atm because of the extra speed (Raichu would be a hot mess if it speed tied with Mega Kangaskhan). Gamefreak only gave 10+ BST boosts out, when really a lot of the Pokemon that got them needed a lot more than just that lol.

BTW, I just got all the Shinoh mons for my living dex! Hoenn is gonna take a while, since I'm determined to get all the Pokemon from their gens of origin if possible, which means dealing with that stupid pal park (crossing my fingers for gen 2 VC or else Im gonna have to go through Colosseum)

Articalys

Every time I hear about a living Pokedex I can't even comprehend how much work that must take, especially shuttling 'mons between games and across generations. I'm mostly just a main game/story person, who might play around with going for all in-game legendaries or a bit of the regional facility battle stuff, but pretty much the furthest thing from a collector imaginable -- in my X playthrough I think I ended up barely filling half of one box by the time I beat the game (though part of that was how half my team by the end was made up of 'mons that were outright given for free to the player, plus Xerneas... ambitious, I am not. For Omega Ruby my team was decidedly much more haphazard, and Groudon was boxed immediately so as to avoid temptation.)

v1perz53

Every time I hear about a living Pokedex I can't even comprehend how much work that must take, especially shuttling 'mons between games and across generations. I'm mostly just a main game/story person, who might play around with going for all in-game legendaries or a bit of the regional facility battle stuff, but pretty much the furthest thing from a collector imaginable -- in my X playthrough I think I ended up barely filling half of one box by the time I beat the game (though part of that was how half my team by the end was made up of 'mons that were outright given for free to the player, plus Xerneas... ambitious, I am not. For Omega Ruby my team was decidedly much more haphazard, and Groudon was boxed immediately so as to avoid temptation.)

Honestly, it is still a ton of work but it is easier than it ever has been this gen. Between X/Y and ORAS, you can catch every single legendary in those two games, and every pokemon across all generations except they Mythicals (which are being given away all year anyway). So you only need to own Gen VI games to complete one. And honestly, with GTS things are a lot easier than they used to be.

Don't get me wrong, still a HUGE time investment, but I was able to complete most of my living dex just myself by owning both versions of X/Y and ORAS myself just by playing through and catching/breeding a bunch per week. The Legendaries were actually the easy part now, and I didn't need to transfer from old gens at all.

Theorymon

Honestly the only reason I'm even able to pull this off is because Im plundering my old Pokemon games and just filling in the small gaps I find as I go along. I figure I might as well get a living dex before Sun and Moon come out, so when that does come out, I can quickly complete the pokedex and get whatever goodies the game gives you for that really early on each gen for now on :p

In reality, I'm not really a "collector" either. I tend to focus on competitive Pokemon. This is probably why I'm among the few people you'll find around these parts whose favorite gen is 6: Since gen 6, I haven't been forced to retreat to sims to get my competitive mons fix. I'm hoping Sun and Moon make getting into competitive Pokemon even easier, since I feel like gamefreak puts up a lot of uneended barriers to it even now (such as soft reseting for legendaries, good lord thats so painful)

So yeah I guess catching them all is something I haven't done in a long time, feels strange to be doing that again!

Top Bottom