• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Articalys

Honestly, it is still a ton of work but it is easier than it ever has been this gen. Between X/Y and ORAS, you can catch every single legendary in those two games, and every pokemon across all generations except they Mythicals (which are being given away all year anyway). So you only need to own Gen VI games to complete one. And honestly, with GTS things are a lot easier than they used to be.

Don't get me wrong, still a HUGE time investment, but I was able to complete most of my living dex just myself by owning both versions of X/Y and ORAS myself just by playing through and catching/breeding a bunch per week. The Legendaries were actually the easy part now, and I didn't need to transfer from old gens at all.
True, the soaring/mirage stuff in ORAS is almost hilarious in how many legendaries they crammed in there. With Capture O-Powers and using a basic "paralyze/sleep -> False Swipe to 1 -> throw Dusk Balls (or Timer Balls if the battle drags on) until caught" loop, it's also offensively easy if you can get a bit lucky.

v1perz53

True, the soaring/mirage stuff in ORAS is almost hilarious in how many legendaries they crammed in there. With Capture O-Powers and using a basic "paralyze/sleep -> False Swipe to 1 -> throw Dusk Balls (or Timer Balls if the battle drags on) until caught" loop, it's also offensively easy if you can get a bit lucky.

It kinda did take a bit of the "awesome factor" out of the legendaries, but being able to get them all at once was pretty nice. I used my bounty hunting Smeargle, Fett, for my capture work. False Swipe, Thunder Wave, Soak, Taunt and everything is super easy. Can even paralyze electric/ground types with Soak and False Swipe ghost types similarly. And Taunt for the pesky recover spammers. Literally every battle ended up the same. I ended up catching everything in a Pokeball just to have a uniform collection. Maybe if I ever get OCD/bored enough I will get a full living dex all in poke balls with me as the OT. Nah, that sounds way too insane.

Articalys

What makes it ridiculously funny is that they're not even trying the slightest bit to contextualize anything about why all the legendaries are there -- I mean, previous games have had some legendaries not tied to any storylines, but at least their locations made a bit of sense. Here it's just a bunch of random portals/rifts/clouds that spit out all of Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova's finest.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
They like basically created Hoopa I assume for that purpose though, those are its rings.

GoldStarz

They like basically created Hoopa I assume for that purpose though, those are its rings.

They really should've made Hoopa an in-game event tbh. It's so stupid that the Pokemon causes as many things to happen as it does and yet it's relegated to giveaway status + vague backstory exposition like so many others.

JoeM86

They really should've made Hoopa an in-game event tbh. It's so stupid that the Pokemon causes as many things to happen as it does and yet it's relegated to giveaway status + vague backstory exposition like so many others.

It's called mystery, and then when Hoopa came, people were meant to have the realisation and think "ooh that's cool"

Articalys

IMO it feels like Diancie and Hoopa were made up primarily to feature in their own movies and thrown into the games just as a way for kids to be "LOOK I GOT THIS COOL POKEMON FROM THE MOVIE" or stuff along those lines. (Probably a few other legendaries came about that way too.)

Meanwhile on the other hand you have Zygarde, who was catchable normally in XY from day one but with zero explanation for anything about it for two years, fueling all kinds of Z version rumors, until they announced all that form stuff last fall but still haven't done anything with it in the games; the TV anime is dealing with it all instead for now.

Then there's also the fact that all this stuff gets datamined instantly as soon as the game comes out, so at least for the people who follow this stuff closely, nothing's ever a surprise or mystery. I mean they found the data for stuff like
Eternal Flower Floette
ages ago, and that still has yet to have anything official mentioned about it.

GoldStarz

It's called mystery, and then when Hoopa came, people were meant to have the realisation and think "ooh that's cool"

If that's the case then they failed.

The Rings aren't really something stand-outish enough for me to really take note of on it's own since they're just gold rings. Only once Hoopa comes around and you realize those gold rings aren't just generic warp things to justify why you're able to go here and there and find legendaries (and uncommon Pokes), but actually the rings of Hoopa themself does it become an actual point of interest.

So yeah, not really any mystery beforehand and only a lot of disappointment they didn't actually do anything with this once you have that knowledge.

lol so they did end up reusing the Gen VI models for Pokemon Go.

Those models don't even originate from Gen VI, they came from Pokedex 3D Pro. They've pretty much set up a database of models for use in Pokemon games for consistency, The Mystery Dungeon games use the same models as well.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If that's the case then they failed.

The Rings aren't really something stand-outish enough for me to really take note of on it's own since they're just gold rings. Only once Hoopa comes around and you realize those gold rings aren't just generic warp things to justify why you're able to go here and there and find legendaries (and uncommon Pokes), but actually the rings of Hoopa themself does it become an actual point of interest.

So yeah, not really any mystery beforehand and only a lot of disappointment they didn't actually do anything with this once you have that knowledge.

wasn't hoopa already announced when ORAS came

Those models don't even originate from Gen VI, they came from Pokedex 3D Pro. They've pretty much set up a database of models for use in Pokemon games for consistency, The Mystery Dungeon games use the same models as well.

specifically the Gen VI models are the hi-res ones

which makes me wonder why they never made small-scale ones for the 3DS

specifically the Gen VI models are the hi-res ones

which makes me wonder why they never made small-scale ones for the 3DS

The ones used in Gen VI are the same ones used in Go and the Mystery Dungeon games. Mystery Dungeon did lower poly versions but GameFreak didn't for what ever reason.

Boss Doggie

The ones used in Gen VI are the same ones used in Go and the Mystery Dungeon games. Mystery Dungeon did lower poly versions but GameFreak didn't for what ever reason.

Yeah that's what I meant by small scale.

Which makes me wonder why GF didn't do that. That would pretty much fix the whole battle fps drop issue.

Maybe SM will have that?

1) Still playing Pokemon Yellow, determined to finish it as I technically never have (always got to Pokemon League and gave up, I was a very attention deficit kid)
2) Picked up Alpha Sapphire for £23 FINALLY. Is it good? I found X/Y very boring and straightforward.
3) Found my copy of Heart Gold! I looked everywhere, and it's like £70 to buy used now :| So very thankful I got it.

Also looking at the new Megas for ORAS and jesus christ Slowbro looks so dumb

Rizzi

1) Still playing Pokemon Yellow, determined to finish it as I technically never have (always got to Pokemon League and gave up, I was a very attention deficit kid)
2) Picked up Alpha Sapphire for £23 FINALLY. Is it good? I found X/Y very boring and straightforward.
3) Found my copy of Heart Gold! I looked everywhere, and it's like £70 to buy used now :| So very thankful I got it.

I prefer X/Y over ORAS. Hoenn is so boring.

GoldStarz

ORAS is waaaaaaaay better than X/Y. Unfortunately, it's still not especially good and is actually kinda standard, but I mean it's still a major step up from X/Y since all the major characters actually have some kind of character to them and the plot isn't completely shoved into the last 5 minutes before the final gym.

brinstar

Every time I hear about a living Pokedex I can't even comprehend how much work that must take, especially shuttling 'mons between games and across generations. I'm mostly just a main game/story person, who might play around with going for all in-game legendaries or a bit of the regional facility battle stuff, but pretty much the furthest thing from a collector imaginable -- in my X playthrough I think I ended up barely filling half of one box by the time I beat the game (though part of that was how half my team by the end was made up of 'mons that were outright given for free to the player, plus Xerneas... ambitious, I am not. For Omega Ruby my team was decidedly much more haphazard, and Groudon was boxed immediately so as to avoid temptation.)

Eh, it's not too tough. Whenever I play a Pokemon game I always capture a Pokemon the first time I encounter it. (provided I have the means to) Gen 6 games even encourage this by still paying out EXP for captures. If you do that by the time you clear the Elite 4 you've already significantly filled out the local dex. From there it's just filling out the blanks with trades and breeding.

v1perz53

Add me to the "prefers XY" club. Going back to the HM dependence after gen V and XY was brutal, made me remember everything I hate about HMs. ORAS did a lot of things right, but there were a few things I think actually ended up worse than the original R/S games. Still great games though especially if you wanna "catch em all", but I do heavily agree Hoopa needed to have SOME in game presence to explain those rings. After watching the movie I think the idea is actually really cool and clever, but when I first saw it ingame it meant nothing to me and kind of sullied the feeling of getting the legendaries. Having the context ingame where Hoopa was using his rings to send legendaries to attack or something would've been very cool.

Hoopa was officially revealed in January 2015- two months after ORAS's launch.

The first teaser poster for Hoopa's movie, released in December 2014, a matter of weeks after ORAS's launch, featured the Hoenn Legendaries clustered around one of Hoopa's rings.

Seems like a pretty concerted reveal strategy to me.

ORAS is garbage, but XY isn't much better. Both have no worthwhile postgame to speak of. Looker garbage quest and no Battle Frontier? FOH with that shit.

GoldStarz

ORAS is garbage, but XY isn't much better. Both have no worthwhile postgame to speak of. Looker garbage quest and no Battle Frontier? FOH with that shit.

You take that back...

XY_Emma.png

Best Gen VI character HANDS DOWN

GoldStarz

WORTHLESS TRASH

If she's worthless trash all the other X/Y characters are just straight up toxic sludge. She's by far the most developed of the characters introduced this Gen despite being relegated to post-game side story fare.

edit: wanna clarify this is more of an issue with the writing of the game rather than the characters themselves tho.

v1perz53

You take that back...

One of my favorite characters ever introduced in the series, utterly let down by how boring the quest surrounding her actually was. "Ask a cab to take you to looker place, talk to him, leave, answer the phone, go to random alley", repeat over and over with a few easy battles thrown in. Ugh, the only dungeon type area you go to is a re-tread! While I like Emma's story much better, the Delta episode was much more engaging to play through as a whole.

GoldStarz

One of my favorite characters ever introduced in the series, utterly let down by how boring the quest surrounding her actually was. "Ask a cab to take you to looker place, talk to him, leave, answer the phone, go to random alley", repeat over and over with a few easy battles thrown in. Ugh, the only dungeon type area you go to is a re-tread! While I like Emma's story much better, the Delta episode was much more engaging to play through as a whole.

Oh yeah, I can definitely agree to that, the actual plot and playing of her story is pretty boring since by the time you get through it you'll be leveled high enough that you'll just wipe through all her teams
although that's not different from the main story so i mena
, I'm talking about the character work featured in the Looker Missions in general. Really everyone involved benefited from appearing in the story and it made Malva the only Leader-type person who I actually liked aside from Korrina.

Articalys

You guys are stealing all the things I would have maybe said if I ever got around to writing up those reaction posts to XY and ORAS.

But yeah, the Looker story in XY, some of the main story in OR (okay, mostly just the stuff Steven and Maxie were directly involved in), and all of Delta really surprised me by how much more engaging they made the story and characterization.

One of the things on my Gen 7 wishlist (which I also might or might not ever get around to posting) is for the Gym Leaders and E4 to all be real characters, and not just standing around eternally at the back of their gyms doing nothing else. Not that they all have to be involved in the story to the same degree as Korrina or Wallace or anything, but even just small stuff like tracking them down for phone numbers in HGSS or the villa interactions in Platinum were a nice touch. Probably hoping for too much, but it never hurts to dream.

The best use of the gym leaders is in Black and White, by a good country mile. All of them have relevance outside of their gyms, their gyms serve dual purposes, they rise to your side at the endgame... it's all just great stuff.

I was so disappointed to move from dual purpose gyms in X and Y. I loved how the gyms in Black and White might double as a restaurant, or a mine, or an airport hangar, or an art gallery, whereas X and Y's gyms were just random buildings with the occasional cave.

If she's worthless trash all the other X/Y characters are just straight up toxic sludge. She's by far the most developed of the characters introduced this Gen despite being relegated to post-game side story fare.

edit: wanna clarify this is more of an issue with the writing of the game rather than the characters themselves tho.

There was nothing to even gain from the Looker quest. At least with how boring the Delta Episode was, you got a Rayquaza out of it.

Daemul

The best use of the gym leaders is in Black and White, by a good country mile. All of them have relevance outside of their gyms, their gyms serve dual purposes, they rise to your side at the endgame... it's all just great stuff.

The Gym Leaders showing up to battle the Plasma Sages in BW is the most hype moment in the entire series.

v1perz53

You guys are stealing all the things I would have maybe said if I ever got around to writing up those reaction posts to XY and ORAS.

But yeah, the Looker story in XY, some of the main story in OR (okay, mostly just the stuff Steven and Maxie were directly involved in), and all of Delta really surprised me by how much more engaging they made the story and characterization.

One of the things on my Gen 7 wishlist (which I also might or might not ever get around to posting) is for the Gym Leaders and E4 to all be real characters, and not just standing around eternally at the back of their gyms doing nothing else. Not that they all have to be involved in the story to the same degree as Korrina or Wallace or anything, but even just small stuff like tracking them down for phone numbers in HGSS or the villa interactions in Platinum were a nice touch. Probably hoping for too much, but it never hurts to dream.

That was my favorite thing about the Gen V games. The Gym leaders all seemed like real people, with real jobs that fit in the world (well, at least a lot of them did). Between Lenora and the fossil business, Elesa with Bianca and her dad, Clay and team plasma in the original games, to Roxie and her dad and Burgh and the events in Castellia in B2/W2, I really felt like I got to know the gym leaders in each area outside of the gyms themselves. Which made it that much better when I fought them, we had already bonded and the battle had more meaning.

Honestly, Gen V did a really solid job of character development in a lot of places, a trend which unfortunately did not wholly continue to Gen VI, since you have team bland accompanying you in X/Y, and May in ORAS who just says she is kidding at any sign of emotion or frustration which could build her character. But you do have ones like Emma and Zinnia who are really great. I also really miss Yancy/Curtis, I really felt connected to them after searching out so many random spots for conversations.

The Gym Leaders showing up to battle the Plasma Sages in BW is the most hype moment in the entire series.

Oh man I loved this part so much.

GoldStarz

There was nothing to even gain from the Looker quest. At least with how boring the Delta Episode was, you got a Rayquaza out of it.

That's completely irrelevant to the conversation... We're talking about characters and characterization, not what post-game quest gives you the best goody bag once you finish it.

Also agreeing to the Gen V Gym Leaders, like every part of it. The fact that gyms all had different exteriors to match or compliment their interiors was just amazing and I loved the fact that they clearly had a life outside of just standing there waiting for challengers all day. The amount of thought put into all of them... I really want that to be in Sun/Moon more than anything else.

That's completely irrelevant to the conversation... We're talking about characters and characterization, not what post-game quest gives you the best goody bag once you finish it.

Except I started it with:

So yes, it's very relevant.

v1perz53

Except I started it with:

So yes, it's very relevant.

I mean, it pretty much comes down to what you consider worthwhile. If you want a good story with awesome characterization, the Looker sidequest is certainly worthwhile. If you are more interested in battles and gameplay with cool pokemon rewards, certainly Looker sidequest isn't for you.

Personally, I always found Battle Frontier to be very dull, so I really liked the Delta Episode gameplay wise, and it was all the post-game I wanted. Same with B/W postgame, which is still my favorite. But I get that a lot of people are big fans, and I'm still not too sure why they didn't include it.

Daemul

I also really miss Yancy/Curtis, I really felt connected to them after searching out so many random spots for conversations.

Yo that Yancy/Curtis sidequest is long as fuck, but I do it on every playthrough of B2W2 and I really enjoy it each time. It is the closet thing that Pokemon has ever had to an actual relationship, with Nate/Rosa and Yancy/Curtis calling each other and meeting up for those Ferris Wheel "dates", which were an awesome and hilarious addition from GameFreak btw. Never forget Nursery Aide June.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

GameFreak clearly have it in them to write some good shit and create interesting characters, but it's almost like if they used up all their writing talent with Gen V and had barely anything left in the tank for Gen VI. Like I know the main story in Pokemon games isn't always the best, or is nonexistent in some cases, but XY's story took it to another level, shit was horrid.

Articalys

Also, the Looker story had a plot that dealt with
a homeless orphan girl who had befriended members of a street gang and was tricked by a mad scientist into being a guinea pig for criminal experiments
, which was probably something that nobody would have ever expected to show up in a Pokemon game, which is part of what keeps it stuck in people's memory as something interesting.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Not really, you're straight up given Hoopa so the coolness factor is gone.

Gen 4 and 5 did it better as they had small little side stories for the event Pokémon, something that gen 6 sorely lacked.

While I wouldn't say garbage but yeah this pretty much, both are not good games compare to past generations.

You take that back...

XY_Emma.png

Errrrr, who the fuck is she?

GameFreak clearly have it in them to write some good shit and create interesting characters, but it's almost like if they used up all their writing talent with Gen V and had barely anything left in the tank for Gen VI. Like I know the main story in Pokemon games isn't always the best, or is nonexistent in some cases, but XY's story took it to another level, shit was horrid.

Agreed, Game Freak barely even tried with X and Y story or should I say stories as they tried to cram three plot point but they all efficiently go nowhere. They also did a poor job in tying the lore with Kalos and as a result it just felt bland and empty.

For me X and Y felt like that series regressed backwards, instead of building on Gen 4 and 5. And it's a shame gen 6 and Kalos never got a chance to shine as I really wanted to love gen 6, I wanted to be excited about gen 6, I wanted to look back on gen 6 fondly and say yeah that was a good generation.

But instead gen 6 has been nothing but a disappointment and I know that in 5-10 years time I will not be looking back on Kalos and gen 6 fondly as I do for gen 1-5, which makes me think that Gen 6 was just growing pain for Game Freak and as a result it suffered.

Really hope that Gen 7 starts out strong and ends with a bang, I can not handled another dud generation.

Also, the Looker story had a plot that dealt with
a homeless orphan girl who had befriended members of a street gang and was tricked by a mad scientist into being a guinea pig for criminal experiments
, which was probably something that nobody would have ever expected to show up in a Pokemon game, which is part of what keeps it stuck in people's memory as something interesting.

The Looker quest was good but why was it post game and why didn't Game Freak maintain this level of quality for the whole game?

I was annoyed when I found out that Malva was a member of Team Flare as I was like why did I not fight her along with the other grunts and why were the Team Flare scientists introduced with such little fanfare?

The whole story in X and Y was a mess.

Boss Doggie

People bring up Gen V when I thought the story was also by the numbers. Hell I think it's worse in that regard when it tried to have a story but backpedaled towards the end.

Also I feel the stuff you guys are complaining were prominent in base games of the older games but were rectified via third version. GEE I WONDER IF XY WILL GET THEIRS

XY had friend safari. All is forgiven.

Articalys

The Looker quest was good but why was it post game and why didn't Game Freak maintain this level of quality for the whole game?

I was annoyed when I found out that Malva was a member of Team Flare as I was like why did I not fight her along with the other grunts and why were the Team Flare scientists introduced with such little fanfare?

The whole story in X and Y was a mess.
I wouldn't go as far as calling it a mess, but there was definitely a lot of wasted potential with Flare. Beyond even the usual nameless grunts, all of them except Lysandre wear solid glasses so they come off as even more generic. And as you noted the admin/sub-boss characters are introduced and thrown away quickly, a huge contrast to how ORAS treats the Magma/Aqua admins.

v1perz53

People bring up Gen V when I thought the story was also by the numbers. Hell I think it's worse in that regard when it tried to have a story but backpedaled towards the end.

Also I feel the stuff you guys are complaining were prominent in base games of the older games but were rectified via third version. GEE I WONDER IF XY WILL GET THEIRS

XY had friend safari. All is forgiven.

See, I don't know if people necessarily say the STORY of Gen V was all that amazing or anything, at least I never felt like it was that much better than the other games. But I do think the CHARACTERIZATION as well as worldbuilding is where Gen V really shines. Like was mentioned before, all the gym leaders were integrated into the story and they had motivations beyond sitting in a gym all day waiting for fights. By the end of the games I felt like I knew Cheren and Bianca really well and we had all grown, and going back in B2/W2 and seeing how they changed even there was really awesome, same with the gym leaders. N was interesting too and you really got to see into his character and motivations, and see him actually question himself and what was going on, which was a nice departure from "Arghh I'm so evil I'm gonna do this bad thing for my own gain!" motivations of pretty much every villain from Giovanni to Archie/Maxie and now Lysandre.

The other games definitely did this sometimes, like I think Cynthia was well fleshed out in gen IV but as a whole I felt much more like they bothered to give characterizations to most of Gen V than ever before. And a part of it is definitely with B2/W2 seeing the changes in the world and characters, but I think even in B/W alone they did a good job.

Articalys

Aqua.

Magma had an annoying "whacked out girl" anime shit.
I liked Courtney's character (also I watch a lot of anime). And reading over some of the dialogue differences between OR and AS, I prefer the way a lot of the character interaction goes in OR, so I'm happy with my choice.

Top Bottom