• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I thought you don't need megastone for rayray

anyway some shipping bait, but also shows that Ash is FUCKING RICH

5RCFQeA.jpg

Oh god, somebody's doing a Colosseum run-through? I remember back in the day, long before Heart Gold/Soul Silver playing through Colosseum to get the Johto starters on Sapphire/Leaf Green, and my god was it tedious. The battles... were just... like snail-pace.

"WAILMER USED RAINY DAY"

"IT STARTED RAINING"

"IT'S STILL RAINING"

It really speaks to my love for Typhlosion that I didn't throw my Gamecube through a wall.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Kind of starting to regret renting OR instead of buying it, since the Mega Stones that can't be traded back to X are going to be lost to the void. And hopefully there'll be a NPC in Sun/Moon that can reteach Dragon Ascent.

Do you have Pokémon Bank? If so you can send Rayquaza to bank with the move Dragon Ascent for safe keeping for Sun and Moon.

You don't but Rayquaza needs to know Dragon Ascent to go Mega.

5RCFQeA.jpg

He has gone along way since his Kanto day.

Oh god, somebody's doing a Colosseum run-through? I remember back in the day, long before Heart Gold/Soul Silver playing through Colosseum to get the Johto starters on Sapphire/Leaf Green, and my god was it tedious. The battles... were just... like snail-pace.

"WAILMER USED RAINY DAY"

"IT STARTED RAINING"

"IT'S STILL RAINING"

It really speaks to my love for Typhlosion that I didn't throw my Gamecube through a wall.

As much I love gen 4, the game just grinds to a crawl when weather effect gets thrown in.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ha, I totally was weirded out how casually Ash checked into a rich hotel like that too...

Gotta say I really liked the Binacle episode despite being a filler---though I guess it also was meant to show how Squishy has begun to see the positive traits of humanity which will probably end up preventing it from destroying Kalos as Zygarde.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Can he afford a bike though?

Considering that he never paid off his debt after destroying both May and Dawn's bike I am gonna say nope.

Ha, I totally was weirded out how casually Ash checked into a rich hotel like that too...

Gotta say I really liked the Binacle episode despite being a filler---though I guess it also was meant to show how Squishy has begun to see the positive traits of humanity which will probably end up preventing it from destroying Kalos as Zygarde.

Hmm I find it hard to care about Squishy and the whole Zygarde plot since there's no main game to tie with it.

#Zygardewasrobbed.

so uh, since when did they sell swole pokemon plushies

CfK7HRWVIAAibho.jpg:large

I should visit Toy R Us and see what Pokémon products they have.

ash_ag

XY&Z started out with a lot of promise, thanks to its original Z-based elements being truly unknown to viewers (rather than adaptations of game material). However, I feel they didn't utilise that potential as well as they could. They're wasting too much time on other plot threads that are not only distracting, but also ultimately uninteresting. Serena's Showcase struggles should have been put earlier in the series, and the plot should be focusing on Ash, Team Flare and Zygarde at this point.

Boss Doggie

XY&Z started out with a lot of promise, thanks to its original Z-based elements being truly unknown to viewers (rather than adaptations of game material). However, I feel they didn't utilise that potential as well as they could. They're wasting too much time on other plot threads that are not only distracting, but also ultimately uninteresting. Serena's Showcase struggles should have been put earlier in the series, and the plot should be focusing on Ash, Team Flare and Zygarde at this point.

but they are tho? In fact I'm glad they're pacing it out well.

Positive traits of humanity outside of Bonnie and maybe some of the team. So far he mostly cares for Bonnie only until this ep.

ash_ag

but they are tho? In fact I'm glad they're pacing it out well.

Perhaps that's why there was a high density of Serena episodes so far in XY&Z, but we'll see how it works out. I hope we can get a series of successive Z-based episodes with no distractions soon.

JoeM86

You think Zygarde will be covered in Sun and Moon like a Delta episode or what's happening in the anime concerning Zygarde is cannon for him?

Yeah, they didn't make the forms to just exist and not be touched on. I have a few ideas on how it may be done

- Z Episode. Post-game of Sun & Moon. Two cores separated between Sun & Moon (Red in Sun, Blue in Moon). I don't know if it will be in Kalos or not, but meh we won't know until then. Basically, you get the Cores in the game, story about the cells, get 10% Forme and eventually 50% Forme. Trade the other core over to get Complete Forme.

- Special Event. Theory is that Zygarde with Thousand Arrows/Waves may be the distribution gift at the movie (whatever it is w'll likely be revealed this month or next month. Zygarde still features on a lot of movie merchandise). Transfer to Sun & Moon to unlock the ability to change forms somehow.

- It's somehow integrated into the Sun & Moon story from the get-go.

Note: The above is speculation & theory, and not indicative of insider knowledge.

Perhaps that's why there was a high density of Serena episodes so far in XY&Z, but we'll see how it works out. I hope we can get a series of successive Z-based episodes with no distractions soon.

it seems like a silly complaint since it looks more like they are finishing up the bulk of her arc first since it's the easiest and quickest one to finish up out of all the characters

seems better to do it now instead of sliding the last showcase in the middle of a z storyarc or after it

Watch Da Birdie

I've actually pretty much liked every episode of XY&Z so far though, even ones not focused on the Z stuff...some of the earlier XY episodes I found pretty dull (most of Korrina's arc, most of Goomy's arc, that Meowstic filler) but I caught up recently on Z and perhaps the weakest episode was the Audino one, but the other ones such as the Chesnaught and Binacle fillers were pretty good.

Also I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Pokemon TV segments at the end of each episode.

Daemul

it seems like a silly complaint since it looks more like they are finishing up the bulk of her arc first since it's the easiest and quickest one to finish up out of all the characters

seems better to do it now instead of sliding the last showcase in the middle of a z storyarc or after it

Yeah, getting the Showcases out of the way first was the correct course of action. They weren't given the same level of importance that Contests were in gen 3 and 4, nor were they anywhere near as well developed, so it's best that the Masterclass was gotten over and done with so that we could move on to better things.

I mean it still does feel a bit odd for the Masterclass to have been taken place so soon since The Grand Festivals in Hoenn and Sinnoh took place after the the evil team had been dealt with and right before the League started, but like I said it was expected. Nobody should be surprised really.

Macka

They kind of grew in size as I went, lol. Also there are like no good Scyther references out there, holy shit. It's always in poses that obscure how its actual joints work. :S
Oh snap, didn't think you were still doing these. Any chance I could get an Umbreon one, preferably shiny? Absolutely no rush, though!

Watch Da Birdie

Looking at Black and White's release, which Sun and Moon so far seems the closest to (Magearna being the first new Pokemon revealed around the same time as Zorua and Zoroark, the titles and logos announced a bit later with no further info, first CoroCoro coverage in April)...

Guessing the main thing we'll see this month, if anything, is a few generic shots showing off the game's graphics (and how much they've changed since XY) including the starting town, the battle system, a random area, and whatever big Hawaiian (?) city that will serve as this Gen's Castelia/Lumiose that the budget is poured into. Also probably an in-game shot of Magearna, and probably Sugimori art + stats to go with it. That leaked April 10th for Black and White...I recall the earliest I've seen with CoroCoro is the 8th.

Looking at Black and White's release, which Sun and Moon so far seems the closest to (Magearna being the first new Pokemon revealed around the same time as Zorua and Zoroark, the titles and logos announced a bit later with no further info, first CoroCoro coverage in April)...

Guessing the main thing we'll see this month, if anything, is a few generic shots showing off the game's graphics (and how much they've changed since XY) including the starting town, the battle system, a random area, and whatever big Hawaiian (?) city that will serve as this Gen's Castelia/Lumiose that the budget is poured into. Also probably an in-game shot of Magearna, and probably Sugimori art + stats to go with it. That leaked April 10th for Black and White...I recall the earliest I've seen with CoroCoro is the 8th.

Do people expect them to have really...? Like, X and Y seemed to push the 3DS to its limits already.

Sounds about right. I certainly don't expect a blowout yet.

Do people expect them to have really...? Like, X and Y seemed to push the 3DS to its limits already.

Battle models no, but they could be doing a LOT more with the overworld graphics.

Not saying I expect them to, mind.

Yeah, they didn't make the forms to just exist and not be touched on. I have a few ideas on how it may be done

- Z Episode. Post-game of Sun & Moon. Two cores separated between Sun & Moon (Red in Sun, Blue in Moon). I don't know if it will be in Kalos or not, but meh we won't know until then. Basically, you get the Cores in the game, story about the cells, get 10% Forme and eventually 50% Forme. Trade the other core over to get Complete Forme.

- Special Event. Theory is that Zygarde with Thousand Arrows/Waves may be the distribution gift at the movie (whatever it is w'll likely be revealed this month or next month. Zygarde still features on a lot of movie merchandise). Transfer to Sun & Moon to unlock the ability to change forms somehow.

Note: The above is speculation & theory, and not indicative of insider knowledge.

Disclaimer: Before X, Y, and ORAS my last Gen(s) was the original gen 2 and original gen 1.

Will there be enough of a difference between Sun and Moon to justify two versions?

I know damn well no one knows the answer to this except GameFreak.

Playing Gen 6, ORAS included. Other than the Box legend and some easily obtained Pokémon they're basically the same games. No different areas, same story, and same everything in a nut shell.

ORAS had different not so evil gangs but it's basically the samething except one wore red and the other blue.

You think it's possible that they'll put more thought into the different versions moving fowards?

v1perz53

Disclaimer: Before X, Y, and ORAS my last Gen(s) was the original gen 2 and original gen 1.

Will there be enough of a difference between Sun and Moon to justify two versions?

Playing Gen 6, ORAS included. Other than the Box legend and some easily obtained Pokémon they're basically the same games. No different areas, same story, and same everything in a nut shell.

ORAS had different not so evil gangs but it's basically the samething except one wore red and the other blue.

You think it's possible that they'll put more thought into the different versions moving fowards?

I dunno, we've had 6 generations in a row with basically an identical game sold two different ways. It has been a pretty established trend now that each version is the same except for ~10 version exclusive pokemon and usually one version specific legendary. I don't really see this changing any time soon. Honestly, R/S (and ORAS by extension) had the most "version specific content" of any generation so far with the different teams. I'm not sure its worth it to them to make real version differences, since it is probably an absolutely tiny fraction of their audience that would play both and appreciate these differences at all.

Though you can argue that with online trading, the version differences are even smaller now than they've ever been because it is so simple to trade for a pokemon you can't get.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I know that your post is a hypothetical theory to what could happen and I expect Zygarde to be part of Sun and Moon post game but I feel that Zygarde should have had his plot in his own game and finishing gen 6 with a bang but instead it feels like that he just piggybacking onto Sun and Moon to get his time in the spotlight.

One of my biggest compliant about gen 6 is how Kalos struggled to stand out due to the gen 1 pandering and I don't want want the new region and new legendary trio to be shoved out of the spotlight because Game Freak jumped straight to gen 7.

This wouldn't be a problem if Zygarde was a gen 7 Pokémon rather than a gen 6 Pokémon but he isn't and as it stands I find it hard to get excited about him like I did for Rayquaza, Giratina and Kyurem.

Also I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Pokemon TV segments at the end of each episode.

I don't like those segment, bring back Oak.

#Oakwasrobbed.

Battle models no, but they could be doing a LOT more with the overworld graphics.

Not saying I expect them to, mind.

Personally I hope that the region is better designed from Kalos, it just felt so jarring going from route 15 a grassy area with leaves to route 17 a really snowy area to Anistar City that doesn't seemed to be affected by the snow at all.

Sinnoh did a better job in creating the illusion that the player is climbing up a mountain to a snowy area as the player has to climb through Mt. Coronet and then being greeted by snow as they step out onto Route 216 before being greeted by heavy snow on Route 117 until arriving at Snowpoint City which is a peaceful town to it being quite isolated. They did this again when the player climbs Mt Coronet to reach Spear Pillar.

But in X and Y they didn't do it well and it just felt like that they only added a snowy area as the whole Kalos region seemed to be playing with season theme which to me felt like a shameless way of Game Freak "Oh look what we can do with a 3D over world."

GoldStarz

The whole two-version thing has basically been unchanged since the start, they're usually basically identical. I think the games that tried the hardest to make a differentiation between the two was the Gen V games which changed the appearance of some locales (which also affected the soundtrack in some cases) and in B/W changed the final gym leader (although their teams are pretty similar regardless). Mostly it comes down to which exclusives you like more, which you won't really know unless you spoil yourself on new Pokes.

Articalys

Do you have Pokémon Bank? If so you can send Rayquaza to bank with the move Dragon Ascent for safe keeping for Sun and Moon.
Well, part of the reason I had rented OR in the first place was to save money, after having burned myself by buying it on release day at full price and then, for various reasons, not playing it until just a few weeks ago, while watching it go on big sales and be part of BOGO promotions multiple times.

I might be able to find a friend with ORAS that can hang on to at least Ray and the megas I want to keep... though I would hope they'll all be available in the new game anyway. Don't really know how good Game Freak's track record is on carryover for stuff like that.

Watch Da Birdie

My dream idea for two versions would be the regions being mirrored between the two (just for a cute little visual difference), perhaps day lasts longer in Sun and night longer in Moon, and it'd also be neat if Sun was perhaps a bit easier and Moon was harder. I'm surprised they haven't done the idea of difficulties based on Version though I guess they don't want to discourage a kid from picking a version with their favorites and ending up with a game "too hard" for them.

TBH I've been replaying Red and I really don't find it challenging or that tedious like some people claim, it's about as easy as the modern games in my opinion---sure Trainers have more Pokemon but they aren't really smarter, the ease is more in the QOL improvements like less time spent having to head to the Pokemon Center. Otherwise I'm breezing through it and keeping my team balanced without much extra grinding, though I do think it's a bit more difficult in terms of knowing where to go---and I kind of like that openness.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Well, part of the reason I had rented OR in the first place was to save money, after having burned myself by buying it on release day at full price and then, for various reasons, not playing it until just a few weeks ago, while watching it go on big sales and be part of BOGO promotions multiple times.

I might be able to find a friend with ORAS that can hang on to at least Ray and the megas I want to keep... though I would hope they'll all be available in the new game anyway. Don't really know how good Game Freak's track record is on carryover for stuff like that.

I wouldn't worry about that since the Mega are basically form change and Game Freak has done a great job in carrying over items that are required in changing form from generation to generation.

They have done the same with location evolution.

Chase17

TBH I've been replaying Red and I really don't find it challenging or that tedious like some people claim, it's about as easy as the modern games in my opinion---sure Trainers have more Pokemon but they aren't really smarter, the ease is more in the QOL improvements like less time spent having to head to the Pokemon Center. Otherwise I'm breezing through it and keeping my team balanced without much extra grinding, though I do think it's a bit more difficult in terms of knowing where to go---and I kind of like that openness.

It's probably toughest early game with bind shenanigans and that hyper fang Raticate in Mt. Moon. I think its par for the course with everything outside of ORAS and maybe XY.

Mr-Joker

Banned

It largely depends on what Pokémon you have on your team but for the most part I disagree as I recently played Pokémon Yellow and Misty, Koga, Sabrina, Blaine, Blue many times and quite a few trainers have given me troubles.

Game Freak have change up the game design making it easier like how none of the Gym Leaders Pokémon have 4 move set till the 7th gym leader, The Elite 4 all have 4 Pokémon each, Kalos being super simple to navigate with no secret's areas to explore, with OR/AS straight up changing the game play so that the players don't let lost, again with OR/AS straight up giving players a powerful legendary Pokémon packed with a Mega stone.

The only time that I have ever struggled against a Kalos Gym Leader is against Grant and that's only because my teams lacks a strong fighting Pokémon to quickly take out Amaura before it fires a Thunder wave.

Now I get why Game Freak lowered the difficulty so that new comers and younger players can play the game and that's 100% fine but all I am asking for is that Game Freak to do a better some in teaching and encouraging players to explore the region at their own pace and discover new Pokémon, pick up useful items and TM because at the moment it's at 0% which means future region designs are going to get worse and worse with exploration being absent.

I also believe that with the Exp share acting as easy mode I think that it's also fair that Game Freak also bring back and refine challenge mode but have it that the players unlock it after defeated the first gym leader so we can avoid players accidentally picking challenge mode when they start the game and if they do pick it and find it hard then they can easily turn it off.

I just feel that ever since Game Freak got feed back that kids didn't finish the Sinnoh game because they found it "hard" they have been reluctant in handing back exploration and that sense of adventure to the players.

Watch Da Birdie

So, Mega Spiritomb...

108 in every stat (except HP cuz that hasn't changed for a Mega)...but to balance it has an Ability that makes it weak to every Type, overriding Ghost/Dark, so everything does 4X to it.

How useful/broken/useless would that be?

Chase17

So, Mega Spiritomb...

108 in every stat (except HP cuz that hasn't changed for a Mega)...but to balance it has an Ability that makes it weak to every Type, overriding Ghost/Dark, so everything does 4X to it.

I think though only change I would make for a Mega Spiritomb is that its new ability becomes wonder guard.

GoldStarz

So, Mega Spiritomb...

I get the 108 things, but what's with the 4x weak to everything nonsense? You're not even giving it the standard 100 BST boost. You're giving it like half of that, s'not balancing at all.

Azuran

Banned
So, Mega Spiritomb...

Complete garbage in doubles.

Attacks into Protect, dies in the same turn. 108 speed is pretty bad too in Singles

Nightbird

So, Mega Spiritomb...

Not at all. The 4x weakness to everything makes it absolutely useless

Cranster

Banned

Amourship needs to happen and be canon! But I know they probably won't make it official, especially if they bring in a new female travel buddy for Ash after XY & Z.

He has gone along way since his Kanto day.
Watching the XY series I have to agree, he's more mature and intelligent not only in his battles but also in his ability to communicate with others and his pokemon. Makes me wonder if he will actually win this current league.

108 speed is pretty bad too in Singles
The power creep is real. Really hope they go through and do something more than "we will only add 10 points to one stat unless you're Pikachu" in future titles, because we're on target for newer Pokemon having like 130 speed now.

I showed your work to my 11 yo and she loves your work. You have an official fan.

If you have the time she asked me if you could do a Victini for her. It's her first favorite Pokemon.

Amazing!!! Any chance of doing Zoroark, please :)

Oh snap, didn't think you were still doing these. Any chance I could get an Umbreon one, preferably shiny? Absolutely no rush, though!

scribbly_pokemon_04_by_quarksney-d9xwrg1.png

elfa9hN.png
oqDRslM.png
s0a7fbY.png

Included Victini as an avatar in case someone wants it.

I'm enjoying doing these because they're quick in a simple cartoon style. And because they're only coming in about three at a time.

Kalos may be one thing, but Unova has absolutely tonnes of optional exploration, little to none of which gets credited in discussions like this. Pretty much every route had as many optional areas as compulsory ones.

I'm willing to tentatively chalk Kalos's lack of optional areas up to teething troubles with building a proper 3D world rather than a new policy of extreme linearity.

The only optional areas in Kalos that I can even think of were the route around the Sea Spirit's Den, the one route with Pumpkaboo and the guy who explains chain fishing, that place where you have to skate well to get into, Terminus Cave, the little strength puzzle that leads to the Draco Meteor tutor, and that one little cave with the Spooky Plate or Banetite in it (can't remember which). I mean, they made good use of everything that wasn't optional I guess, but it sure was disappointing to get to the end of some offshoot only to be met with "Care for a sky battle?" instead of an item puzzle or something interesting.

JoeM86

Kalos may be one thing, but Unova has absolutely tonnes of optional exploration, little to none of which gets credited in discussions like this. Pretty much every route had as many optional areas as compulsory ones.

I'm willing to tentatively chalk Kalos's lack of optional areas up to teething troubles with building a proper 3D world rather than a new policy of extreme linearity.

Indeed. With Unova, you could get through the game without using HMs, but if you do use HMs you can explore each of the areas, opening them up, finding secrets etc.

Boss Doggie

HOLY SHIT THE SCAN FOR THIS EP AHAHAHAHA

XY&Z22:
>Ash has caught a cold, and Clemont and Bonnie have gone to buy medicine. But while they're gone, a Trainer appears before Serena while she's nursing Ash. The Trainer really loves Pikachu and tells her he's set off on a journey to become the ultimate Pikachu Trainer. Not wanting any burden on the bedridden Ash, Serena takes a certain action.

the scan shows a massively blushing worried Serena with Ash beneath her.

XY&Z23:
>Something happens to Ash in the middle of a battle?
>In order to shed light on the mysterious phenomenon that happens to Ash and Greninja, they have Clemont's machines analyze them as they have battles at a Pokémon Center. And when Alan shows up at the Center, Ash immediately asks him for a battle.

So it looks like a mega-Clemont bangle thingie.

Indeed. With Unova, you could get through the game without using HMs, but if you do use HMs you can explore each of the areas, opening them up, finding secrets etc.

Even back in Gen 1 when I first played the HM's never made sense to me.

For example

Scyther has has Scythes for arms and he can't cut down a small tree without a HM but he could Slash the hell out of a Pokémon.

My Charizard doesn't know how to fly unless he learns the HM.

I think if anything HM's should unlock a Pokémon's natural ability to do stuff in the real world instead of taking up a spot.

Top Bottom