• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Mr-Joker

Banned
I wouldn't expect too much from CoroCoro.

Chances are something pertaining to the movie that'll be in Sun/Moon. Maybe a form or a new Pokémon.
Also details on things like "Transfer Volcanion over to Sun/Moon to unlock _____ (probably Magearna)"

Maybe protagonists and some screenshots too.

Note: the above is speculation based on past precedent and just speculation in general. It's not indicative of insider knowledge

I dunno about not expecting too much, I mean even if Corocoro shows like screenshot and and the new playable protagonists, it will be followed by the western branch of the Pokémon Company with more info.

Either way I am excited.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Is CoroCoro's revenue hurt by leaks that much? I mean the bulk of the magazine is the comics and giveaway trinkets right?

I never got the impression they really cared about leaks, rather it seems The Pokemon Company in general has taken advantage of the various avenues of the net more and more + a focus on revealing the games internationally instead. So CoroCoro has become somewhat outdated even disregarding leaks, which is kind of sad to me because I miss the days that was the big thing to look forward to.

That being said Generation VI CoroCoro delivered enough to still be worthwhile...

Mr-Joker

Banned
That was hype back in Gen VI. There isnt a Kalos mon I dislike and it was ace seeing everyone so happy with the designs during the leaks.

I wasn't happy with the Gen 6 design I thought that they were awful, especially that stupid Noivern I mean it's just a bat with speakers.

I am joking ;p I actually like all 722 Pokémon.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I remember people not liking Aromatisse and Slurpuff---but they were revealed though some girls magazine and not CoroCoro iirc.

I really hope Generation VII has a large amount of Pokemon though, at least 100---but I guess I've sort of warmed up to Gen VI's smaller amount.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I really hope Generation VII has a large amount of Pokemon though, at least 100---but I guess I've sort of warmed up to Gen VI's smaller amount.

Gen 7 is an odd numbered gen so I am pretty sure that we will get a bigger selection of Pokémon for Sun and Moon, which explains why X and Y had a smaller amount and didn't the traditional legendary trio as Gen 6 time was going to be super short.

My only hope with gen 7 is that Game Freak buck the trend and have a non cross gen evolution just to reassure fans that they aren't going away because of Mega.

I'm already sharing my thoughts from next week. He has Serena all wet and ready to pounce him and yet he's gonna find a way to let me down.

Why am I even getting emotionally invested in Pokemon romances anyways?!

The whole Serena and Ash shipping doesn't interest me as I know full well that nothing is going to happen as Serena will be gone by the end XY&Z unless she follows Ash to Sun and Moon region and even then they won't be in a relationship.

By the way I wonder why Iris hasn't been given the same treatment that Misty, May and Dawn got and appear in X,Y& Z as a guest character.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm already sharing my thoughts from next week. He has Serena all wet and ready to pounce him and yet he's gonna find a way to let me down.

Why am I even getting emotionally invested in Pokemon romances anyways?!

it's funny that way :p

Gen 7 is an odd numbered gen so I am pretty sure that we will get a bigger selection of Pokémon for Sun and Moon, which explains why X and Y had a smaller amount and didn't the traditional legendary trio as Gen 6 time was going to be super short.

My only hope with gen 7 is that Game Freak buck the trend and have a non cross gen evolution just to reassure fans that they aren't going away because of Mega.

The whole Serena and Ash shipping doesn't interest me as I know full well that nothing is going to happen as Serena will be gone by the end XY&Z unless she follows Ash to Sun and Moon region and even then they won't be in a relationship.

By the way I wonder why Iris hasn't been given the same treatment that Misty, May and Dawn got and appear in X,Y& Z as a guest character.

I'm going to guess because nobody actually liked her

Kyzer

Banned
hey guys what ended up being the prize that google sent out back in the day for completing that april fools pokedex

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm going to guess because nobody actually liked her

Still though it's tradition and its a nice way to make Ash adventure feel connective plus if they don't want to use Iris then use Bianca instead, I am sure that she will have the hot for Ash's Hawlucha.

hey guys what ended up being the prize that google sent out back in the day for completing that april fools pokedex

It was a card saying "Pokémon Master"

Seil

Still though it's tradition and its a nice way to make Ash adventure feel connective plus if they don't want to use Iris then use Bianca instead, I am sure that she will have the hot for Ash's Hawlucha.

Honestly, every time they bring back someone or a Pokemon from the past, it just makes it that much weirder that he hasn't aged at all, and has semi-frequent resets in his skills. I enjoy it, but ugh x.x I wish way back when, maybe even after Johto, we'd moved onto a new protagonist and had Ash cameo on occasion as he got older and more experienced. Maybe in some other, better parallel universe that happened =(

Boss Doggie

Well this grouping is interesting

CfdkEy8WQAEdjvu.jpg

It was a card saying "Pokémon Master"
Iris got an after season special ep tho.

Articalys

For those of you actively following the Japanese anime broadcast, did you used to watch the dub? If so, when did you switch over?

(And I'd still be grateful if anybody can temporarily lend me any of the AS-exclusive postgame legendaries so I can pick up the third from each set)

Boss Doggie

For those of you actively following the Japanese anime broadcast, did you used to watch the dub? If so, when did you switch over?

(And I'd still be grateful if anybody can temporarily lend me any of the AS-exclusive postgame legendaries so I can pick up the third from each set)

I only watched OS, and occasionally AG.

JoeM86

Is CoroCoro's revenue hurt by leaks that much? I mean the bulk of the magazine is the comics and giveaway trinkets right?

I never got the impression they really cared about leaks, rather it seems The Pokemon Company in general has taken advantage of the various avenues of the net more and more + a focus on revealing the games internationally instead. So CoroCoro has become somewhat outdated even disregarding leaks, which is kind of sad to me because I miss the days that was the big thing to look forward to.

That being said Generation VI CoroCoro delivered enough to still be worthwhile...

No. CoroCoro does not exist to provide Pokémon news. It is a huge magazine (both in terms of sales and in terms of size. Yowzah, there's hundreds of pages.

CoroCoro primarily contains a lot of manga as well as the new stuff for various series in Japan such as Buddy Fight, Duel Masters, Yo-kai Watch, Pokémon etc.

People often seem to think that CoroCoro only provides Pokémon content, but it has so much. Pokémon is just a small part of it.

Boss Doggie

No. CoroCoro does not exist to provide Pokémon news. It is a huge magazine (both in terms of sales and in terms of size. Yowzah, there's hundreds of pages.

CoroCoro primarily contains a lot of manga as well as the new stuff for various series in Japan such as Buddy Fight, Duel Masters, Yo-kai Watch, Pokémon etc.

People often seem to think that CoroCoro only provides Pokémon content, but it has so much. Pokémon is just a small part of it.

hell Coro Coro barely, if ever, mentions pokemon when being shown in commercials

One Pokémon I hope gets some love in Sun and Moon is Dunsparse.

I hope it gets a regular evolution before getting a Mega.

Ash trying to catch and fail Dunsparse in the anime made it grow on me.

Articalys

Forget CoroCoro, Nintendo's former ironclad veil of secrecy seems to have been blown so wide open in the last couple years, the sad thing is I'm expecting the most info to come from NOA moles and ESRB leaks, like with Smash.

JoeM86

Forget CoroCoro, Nintendo's former ironclad veil of secrecy seems to have been blown so wide open in the last couple years, the sad thing is I'm expecting the most info to come from NOA moles and ESRB leaks, like with Smash.

You say that but proper details seldom come through leaks like that. Plus you can bet that Nintendo intends to plug every leak possible.

Articalys

You say that but proper details seldom come through leaks like that. Plus you can bet that Nintendo intends to plug every leak possible.
Didn't a ton of XY info get out because of an NA tester or something like that? I thought I remembered stuff like Sycamore giving the Kanto starter came from a non-Japan source.

Normal/Ghost doesn't really make much sense. Dunsparce is based on a draconian-like creature so Normal/Dragon makes logical sense.

I didn't know it was based off of something. If it got the Dragon/Normal typing it'll need some bulky stats to replace my Dragonite. I still wouldn't mind having the option to give it a try.

Didn't a ton of XY info get out because of an NA tester or something like that? I thought I remembered stuff like Sycamore giving the Kanto starter came from a non-Japan source.
Yes. That leaker was later fired and I imagine TPCi tightened up their security after that. I mean, we didn't get any ORAS leaks, right?

Articalys

Yes. That leaker was later fired and I imagine TPCi tightened up their security after that. I mean, we didn't get any ORAS leaks, right?
I'll be honest, I was completely out of the Pokemon hype cycle from when XY released until now, so I wouldn't know, but I'll take your word for it. Didn't realize that NOA doesn't really have a role in the games being localized/tested either.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kalos gave Normal to a lot of new dual types but its still shockingly underrepresented. I'd love Normal/Ghost.

Articalys

Hence why I said seldom, not never
And I had said I only limited my observation to the last couple years, and of that I hadn't realized ORAS had been locked down pretty effectively. No need to get defensive about wording here.

Really I was just griping because of the Zelda leaks spoiling some of the fun from that game's eventual reveal.

Kalos gave Normal to a lot of new dual types but its still shockingly underrepresented. I'd love Normal/Ghost.

I still want a Schrodinger's cat normal/ghost. It's ability would be that any time it's attacked there's a 50% chance of it being consider either pure normal or pure ghost

GoldStarz

Gen V did as well, I think GF started to realize that they were sitting on a lot of untapped potential typing combos by not mixing the two

JoeM86

And I had said I only limited my observation to the last couple years, and of that I hadn't realized ORAS had been locked down pretty effectively. No need to get defensive about wording here.

Really I was just griping because of the Zelda leaks spoiling some of the fun from that game's eventual reveal.

I'd be very surprised if they don't clamp down, especially considering the amount of leaks that have come lately.

Articalys

I'd be very surprised if they don't clamp down, especially considering the amount of leaks that have come lately.
That's good to hear. If only NOA was as effective...

And on the topic of the Schrodinger 'mon, are any of the existing Pokemon themed around thought concepts instead of animals/objects/myths/natural phenomena?

GoldStarz

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

TBH, I'd prefer just a Pokemon that's set as Normal/Ghost, it's really way more disadvantageous to you than it is your opponent. You have no clue if you're going to get STAB or not meanwhile someone using a fighting or ghost move can still get a SE on you if you change at a good time for them.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

TBH, I'd prefer just a Pokemon that's set as Normal/Ghost, it's really way more disadvantageous to you than it is your opponent. You have no clue if you're going to get STAB or not meanwhile someone using a fighting or ghost move can still get a SE on you if you change at a good time for them.
I would only have it matter when being attacked, it still gets STAB on both. And you're opponent would still risk doing nothing if they used a ghost or fighting move. The only safe SE is Dark type since it's either normal or super

GoldStarz

I would only have it matter when being attacked, it still gets STAB on both. And you're opponent would still risk doing nothing if they used a ghost or fighting move. The only safe SE is Dark type since it's either normal or super

Consider that the game is usually balanced around double then? In such a case, then using both a ghost and fighting type move on it would guarantee a SE hit. I'm not saying it's a neat gimmick, I just don't think it's an effective one

Consider that the game is usually balanced around double then? In such a case, then using both a ghost and fighting type move on it would guarantee a SE hit. I'm not saying it's a neat gimmick, I just don't think it's an effective one

Sure, but you'd also be wasting a move, and need to double target, so it can just protect

Articalys

Okay, something else I'm thinking about from the Zelda news thread -- how many times has there been a dialogue difference in Pokemon based on which gender character you are, that isn't just replacing pronouns like boy/girl when referring to you? And also not counting the opposite-gender rival's dialogue, since they're separate characters as NPCs, with different personalities.

v1perz53

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Normal/X typing. It gives one immunity to a not super common type, one weakness to a very common type, and no new super effective moves. Now to be fair, it obviously gives decent to quite good coverage (depending on the type it is added to) especially with moves like Return, getting STAB is really good. But it is so BORING. Oh another pokemon that will use Return to good effect. I have never felt that normal type adds anything all that interesting as a dual type, but it is definitely useful to have.

But still, I definitely prefer dual type Normal/X to monotype, I just think any other dual type is more interesting.

Azuran

Banned
Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Normal/X typing. It gives one immunity to a not super common type, one weakness to a very common type, and no new super effective moves. Now to be fair, it obviously gives decent to quite good coverage (depending on the type it is added to) especially with moves like Return, getting STAB is really good. But it is so BORING. Oh another pokemon that will use Return to good effect. I have never felt that normal type adds anything all that interesting as a dual type, but it is definitely useful to have.

But still, I definitely prefer dual type Normal/X to monotype, I just think any other dual type is more interesting.

Inmunity to Ghost types is still pretty useful thought considering they're the best type for neutral coverage.

Normal is awesome on something like Pyroar because it powers up all his voice attacks which makes sense considering he's a lion (and STAB Hyper Voices are always awesome). Other times it makes no sense thought. Heliolisk shouldn't have been part Normal.

Chase17

Okay, something else I'm thinking about from the Zelda news thread -- how many times has there been a dialogue difference in Pokemon based on which gender character you are, that isn't just replacing pronouns like boy/girl when referring to you? And also not counting the opposite-gender rival's dialogue, since they don't exist as NPCs if you're playing as them so there can't be a difference.
Nothing really jumps to mind.

Top Bottom