• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Zalman

Serena may end up going with Ash to where ever he journey's to next for all we know. Misty traveled with Ash in Kanto, the Orange Islands and Johto regions. Brock also traveled with Ash in multiple regions.

In general I would say though that it will be difficult to come up with another group of traveling companions that can top the current cast. They are the best and most memorable group Ash traveled with since Misty and Brock imo.
Yeah, I think Serena is great. Sadly she'll most likely leave and nobody will ever bring her up ever again.

The difference is that Misty was a fun character, and Serena is a bland and dull one.

If you took away the desperate attempts at shipbait, there'd be absolutely nothing distinctive there.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The difference is that Misty was a fun character, and Serena is a bland and dull one.

If you took away the desperate attempts at shipbait, there'd be absolutely nothing distinctive there.

Misty was a generic tsundere character in the usual kids ensemble gang. Barely even fun since her shtick was so predictable and at times even puts the action at a screeching halt. She's generally Akane from Ranma 1/2, equally annoying and sucks away from Ranma.

Even without shipbait Serena was a supportive character who'd cheer on for her companions and had a sisterly, homely feel to her (seen with Bonnie). She never interfered with the action that is happening (and sometimes would even help), and rather than squeezing into Ash's plot instead she has her own.

Boss Doggie

yeah serena has been tropey pop idol waifu nonsense

she should have stuck to podracing

I'd take that trope over tsundere any other day. Especially the one spawned by the 90's that redefined the archetype for worse.

Worst character archetype ever. Though I am glad that some titles are now actively trying to go against tsundere shit.

Kyzer

Banned
I'd take that trope over tsundere any other day. Especially the one spawned by the 90's that redefined the archetype for worse.

Worst character archetype ever. Though I am glad that some titles are now actively trying to go against tsundere shit.

Count me in for preferring mistys tsundere archetype over serenas blush faced repressed sexual fantasy shenanigans.

Chase17

I liked what they had with the Serena not knowing what she wants to do in life parts.

Thought that was pretty good character development for the show.

Misty was a generic tsundere character in the usual kids ensemble gang. Barely even fun since her shtick was so predictable and at times even puts the action at a screeching halt. She's generally Akane from Ranma 1/2, equally annoying and sucks away from Ranma.

Even without shipbait Serena was a supportive character who'd cheer on for her companions and had a sisterly, homely feel to her (seen with Bonnie). She never interfered with the action that is happening (and sometimes would even help), and rather than squeezing into Ash's plot instead she has her own.

Before I say what I want to say let me put out there that anime Serena is alright at best but I feel she was robbed by Alan's character.

I loved Serena's character in the games. Mastering mega evolution was her goal and she wanted to become strong. She didn't have a crush on the main character, she was supportive and helped the MC, and she also showed frustration when she lost to the MC.

Now here comes the anime version of Serena. Who ever makes the anime took away Serena's in game goals and gave it to Alan, which is to master and become the strongest mega evolution trainer. Serena could have been developed as a strong "female rival" for Ash and we as fans and viewers could have watched that growth from the beginning. The anime creators could have went threw with something that could have been amazing like expand the game version of Serena instead they played it "safe" by creating a not so badass character like Alan and we got this version of Serena.

Boss Doggie

That would just be another Ash though.

I honestly like what we got because it's something new to the anime - a homely character who upon traveling with Ash, originally meant as an excuse to stay away from her mom's nagging, soon became open to the prospect of adventuring and began to develop some interest. After finding one, rather than being good about it, she instead utterly failed, but this inspired her to continue with it along with the support of her friends especially with Ash. And while doing all of these, she never lost her homely touch.

And don't give me that "trainers shouldn't act so domesticated" when technically she's not a battler to begin with and we've seen "non-battler" people owning Pokemon. And I dislike the notion that she is "nothing" without the shipbait, as though having shipbait makes her nothing else.

And after the cringe that was Iris, she was an honest welcome.

GoldStarz

I loved Serena's character in the games. Mastering mega evolution was her goal and she wanted to become strong. She didn't have a crush on the main character, she was supportive and helped the MC, and she also showed frustration when she lost to the MC.
The Rival Character in X/Y is the
second
worst. They think they'll win by default just because their parents were Pokemon trainers and act like knowledge of the most basic things automatically gives them enough of a headstart to be the best. They act obnoxiously when you prove them wrong and knock them flat on their ass in battles and they continue to annoyingly pursue you in hopes of beating you, acting like their somehow even close to your level when you continue to sweep them over and over
admittedly this is more due to the poor level balancing, but gameplay and story should be integrated so I'm counting it
. What's worse is that they take away precious screen time from the other three character who haven't blown their shot at being likable, interesting character. I mean they're not Hugh, but it's still a close fight to the bottom.

Boss Doggie

I thought it had some form of tongue-in-cheek moment where it had some implication that "if you had picked them, they would have been doing great things"

harmonize

Count me in for preferring mistys tsundere archetype over serenas blush faced repressed sexual fantasy shenanigans.
misty also grew out of the tsundere archetype for the most part, and its origin actually made sense considering her sisters didn't treat her well growing up.

serena smacks of a female character made specifically to titillate the male audience, and i think that many of her problems stem from that. all the main females have this issue to some degree (the writers have even admitted to as much before) because the show's writers aren't very good, but none to the extent she does.

Jonke

Neo Member
I think the current cast of characters is shaping up to be the best out of all gens. Coming from Iris it's definitely a huge upgrade. Unlike previous gens, i don't feel meh about some characters getting extra screen time. (Bonus points to Bonnie/Eureka for being awesome!)

As for Serena, i much prefer the anime version to her ingame counterpart but maybe i'm just biased towards the cute/friendship aspect.

Refyref

I haven't watched the X/Y anime, but everything I've seen tells me I'd like Serena a lot more than Misty. Definitely more than in-game Serena, but that's not hard considering X/Y barely had character interactions.

I liked what they had with the Serena not knowing what she wants to do in life parts.

Thought that was pretty good character development for the show.

That's pretty much Bianca's thing in B/W. (Games, not anime.)

Articalys

In Kishimoto's case the problem was more of Naruto was going more towards Sasuke. With that said his feelings for Hinata were a bit more believable than that of Sakura.
Let's just say Kishi was bad at relationship writing in general and leave it at that.
Ash didn't get clothes change to match the protag tho.

Also we did eventually see them in a four-part special.
Well it was probably all just not sure how much they should change early on in the show's run then. And I did mention that Kris shows up in the special.

I just feel bad for Leaf, Hilda, Hilbert, and Calem, that they haven't shown up animated even once, even if only as a movie OP credits cameo.

That would just be another Ash though.

I honestly like what we got because it's something new to the anime - a homely character who upon traveling with Ash, originally meant as an excuse to stay away from her mom's nagging, soon became open to the prospect of adventuring and began to develop some interest. After finding one, rather than being good about it, she instead utterly failed, but this inspired her to continue with it along with the support of her friends especially with Ash. And while doing all of these, she never lost her homely touch.

And don't give me that "trainers shouldn't act so domesticated" when technically she's not a battler to begin with and we've seen "non-battler" people owning Pokemon. And I dislike the notion that she is "nothing" without the shipbait, as though having shipbait makes her nothing else.

And after the cringe that was Iris, she was an honest welcome.

Okay. From the beginning of Serena's journey up until the part she decided what she wanted to do I liked alot. The fact she left home without really knowing what she and figuring it it out later and failing the first go round was perfect in my mind. It's after that and what she chose as her career path that annoys.

In the anime she's not really a battler. In the game she is and I was comparing the anime Serena to the source meterial which is the game Serena. I hate the career choice she made because besides Iris and Misty that's the career choice the anime writers give the females that travels with Ash so they have a purpose while traveling with him (writers being lazy and playing it safe). You said it'll be just like Ash when I disagree. Serena or any trainer doesn't need to challenge the elite four or champion to be considered strong. Hell the game version of Serena just wanted to master Mega Evolution and she used the MC as a measuring stick of sorts.

Me and you can go back and forth on this all day and that'll be cool because you do have your points that I agree with but I'm tired of the anime having the traveling female almost always chose the identical career path (minus two of them) instead of using them to show and slowly build a female character who at times fails but eventually becomes powerful both skil and character wise instead of a female character showing up and being told she's powerful.

The anime Serena isn't bad and sure isn't the worst and while I like the anime Serena I am disappointed with it.

We'll that's my two cents on the matter.

The Rival Character in X/Y is the
second
worst. They think they'll win by default just because their parents were Pokemon trainers and act like knowledge of the most basic things automatically gives them enough of a headstart to be the best. They act obnoxiously when you prove them wrong and knock them flat on their ass in battles and they continue to annoyingly pursue you in hopes of beating you, acting like their somehow even close to your level when you continue to sweep them over and over
admittedly this is more due to the poor level balancing, but gameplay and story should be integrated so I'm counting it
. What's worse is that they take away precious screen time from the other three character who haven't blown their shot at being likable, interesting character. I mean they're not Hugh, but it's still a close fight to the bottom.

I get what you're saying. Hell my 11 yo acts like these fictional kids at times but having real life kids kind of altered my view of what you posted. While annoying all I saw were 4 kids who were trying to make it in their own way. They could have joined team Flare or started a life of crime but instead one of them chased the dream of mastering Mega evolutions, another wanted to complete the Pokedex, another wanted to be a slightly over weight MC Hammer, and the last just wanted a life time full of memories with her friends.

Also, most kids acts like know it all even when you prove them wrong.

Daemul

My problem with Serena isn't really with Serena herself(except for the fact that they made her younger so that her crush angle would work, but that is a discussion for another time), but with the Showcases. The writers took one aspect of Pokemon Contests, the performance stage, and created a competition completely built around it. It is the most half arsed thing that I've seen in a long time, they really couldn't come up with something new? Really?

Boss Doggie

My problem with Serena isn't really with Serena herself(except for the fact that they made her younger so that her crush angle would work, but that is a discussion for another time), but with the Showcases. The writers took one aspect of Pokemon Contests, the performance stage, and created a competition completely built around it. It is the most half arsed thing that I've seen in a long time, they really couldn't come up with something new? Really?

I'm indifferent about performances, but yeah I can see why people will find it jarring especially in Pokemon. It generally mimics idol anime, particularly the merchandise-driven shows.

Okay. From the beginning of Serena's journey up until the part she decided what she wanted to do I liked alot. The fact she left home without really knowing what she and figuring it it out later and failing the first go round was perfect in my mind. It's after that and what she chose as her career path that annoys.

In the anime she's not really a battler. In the game she is and I was comparing the anime Serena to the source meterial which is the game Serena. I hate the career choice she made because besides Iris and Misty that's the career choice the anime writers give the females that travels with Ash so they have a purpose while traveling with him (writers being lazy and playing it safe). You said it'll be just like Ash when I disagree. Serena or any trainer doesn't need to challenge the elite four or champion to be considered strong. Hell the game version of Serena just wanted to master Mega Evolution and she used the MC as a measuring stick of sorts.

Me and you can go back and forth on this all day and that'll be cool because you do have your points that I agree with but I'm tired of the anime having the traveling female almost always chose the identical career path (minus two of them) instead of using them to show and slowly build a female character who at times fails but eventually becomes powerful both skil and character wise instead of a female character showing up and being told she's powerful.

The anime Serena isn't bad and sure isn't the worst and while I like the anime Serena I am disappointed with it.

We'll that's my two cents on the matter.

I get you and I can see too why Serena won't be really into people, I guess my side was more on nothing seeing wrong with her, and that she's arguably more enjoyable than Misty, hell May and Dawn were way better than Misty too.

I think they should have included boys in the Kalos contest thingy, did that in the D&P and R&S anime.

heh who knows, Aikatsu Stars apparently is having boy idols so maybe Kalos will get them eventually

Mr-Joker

Banned
Eh just enjoy the ride. The "pay off" is already the great episodes this series have.

I would but I don't feel that I am having fun on this ride, like I did with the Battle Frontier arc, Sinnoh Arc and Unova...though I bailed out after Ash's Krokorok evolves into Krookodile and only watched the episode when his Charizard returned before bailing back out again. Sigh Unova had so much potential to be a great follow up from Sinnoh.

But I will say this the animation in the Kalos arc is pretty good.

Can't sleep cuz leaks...who else staying up all-night for them?

I am actually going to bed now, the leaks can be there when I wake up.

Rizzi

I just bought a booster pack of Pokemon cards for some reason. Some of the art on these is really cute. Numel and Shinx are adorable. :3

MAtgS

misty also grew out of the tsundere archetype for the most part, and its origin actually made sense considering her sisters didn't treat her well growing up.
Funny, I remember back in those days people online complained about her having becoming a more bland character because of that & those jokes that Togepi was a leech that was sucking the personality & drive out of her. The long years of Johto boredom left many fans wishing she would go back to her old Kanto self.

Boss Doggie

she grew out of the tsundere... but became a non-character after that

and still sucks that she pretty much "stole" Togepi... but then considering how much a sucker for attention Togepi is I am kinda glad Ash didn't end up raising it

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
"I suggest you familiarise yourself with this before insulting my Pokemon knowledge"

Until next time, :dead:.

Has there ever been a way to check whether a Pokemon evolves and via what method in-game? Because I always thought it was dumb that I essentially have to consult the Internet to know which of a million possible different evolution methods I need to use.

The only thing I can think of is that if you select an evolution stone, it'll list your current party members as "able" or "unable."

Chase17

Has there ever been a way to check whether a Pokemon evolves and via what method in-game? Because I always thought it was dumb that I essentially have to consult the Internet to know which of a million possible different evolution methods I need to use.

The only thing I can think of is that if you select an evolution stone, it'll list your current party members as "able" or "unable."

I don't think so. Where there in game hints on how to evolve Inkay? Can't remember. That would have tripped me up if there was no internet.

What if CoroCoro news is that it has the first magazine images of sun/moon, and they are stills from the direct trailer.

WPS

I think some of the games did have something like that. I remember there was someone you could call and they'd tell you? I think it might have been Professor Juniper or Cheren.

I remember Inkay gave me trouble. I'd heard the leaks about it evolving by upsidedown-ness, and rejected it as stupid. I eventually got to about 3/4 of the way through the story, sighed and tried it.

Edit: I swear the was someone who'd tell you about a specific pokémon evolves but I can't find anything about who it was. Maybe I imagined it...

WPS

What do you guys think of the starters leak from the alleged corocoro leaks

First I've heard of this.

... I think I might try and avoid seeing them until things are confirmed. Does this mean avoiding this thread? I know posting pictures is a no go since scans, but will discussion be spoilered tagged?

What do you guys think of the starters leak from the alleged corocoro leaks

If you don't mind can you PM me where do you go for your fake(?) Or not fake Leaks?

I seriously don't know where to go. Google search is useless. Even if it's fake it'll be enough to get my imagination going which would be enough to get me threw the night. (I'm working nights)

Mr-Joker

Banned
I think they should have included boys in the Kalos contest thingy, did that in the D&P and R&S anime.

Yeah that annoyed me a lot as in the past Pokémon has done a great job in showing tough female trainers and boy who take part in contest. But then the X and Y Animé came along and said "Nope only girls do this idol thingy and only boys take on gym leader and partake in the league."

It's also why I felt so disconnected to Kalos Ash as he's being written as a action hero and his team being all macho fits that theme, this Ash would never partake in contest like Hoenn and Sinnoh Ash did.

If you just can't tell the difference between real and fake, there's a reason Serebii Confirmed is a thing :)

This pretty much, if Joe doesn't tweet about it then chances are that it's fake...or that Joe is sleeping. ;p

Chase17

I'm only coming up on hitting XYZ but I'm not sure I'd t call his team macho outside of Hawlucha. There was PTSD Goomy and crying Noivern. Ash is indeed a monster though, Dove straight towards tons of lava to catch Talonflame. I didn't think he'd outdo the garchomp tower jump witch to catch pikachu, but sure enough he did.

Just got to the bunnelby capture episode. Probably one of my favorite of this series so far. Kind of a bummer it took so long to get this much spotlight on bunnelby.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've been browsing all day and haven't seen any convincing leaks so I'm guessing y'all are seeing the fairly convincing ones from last month with the goat, bear, and lizard---had I been up when they "leaked" I may have been taken by them too.

Theorymon

Woooo, I backed up my Pokemon Yellow save, and through some convoluted shenanigans involving old hardware like a Monster Brain and a Gameboy Smart card and a custom homebrew launcher, I managed to get the save onto my 3DS VC version!

It's gonna be surreal seeing my 18-15 year old Pokemon get transferred to Pokemon Sun and Moon, glad they won't be stuck on a dying Yellow cart now :D

Top Bottom