• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Mr-Joker

Banned
Inmunity to Ghost types is still pretty useful thought considering they're the best type for neutral coverage.

Normal is awesome on something like Pyroar because it powers up all his voice attacks which makes sense considering he's a lion (and STAB Hyper Voices are always awesome). Other times it makes no sense thought. Heliolisk shouldn't have been part Normal.

Yeah, Heliolisk shouldn't have been part normall and should have been a mid stage evolution.

If anything Heliolisk should have been Grass/electric as the grass type would have made sense what with Heliolisk absorbing sunlight and evolving via the Sun stone instead of the Thunderstone like the other electric Pokémon do.

Honestly the only reason Heliolisk is Electric/Normal is because Game Freak was like "hey we haven't done that type combo before so lets make Heliolisk Electric/Normal for no good reason.

I was disappointed that I couldn't make Heliolisk work on my team but his defence is bad and his normal typing just held him and the team back so when I restructured the team he got the first boot and will never return as a main member, unless Helioptile gets a split evolution that removes his normal typing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Heliolisk is a solar panel pokemon. It being part normal makes sense. It's not a pokemon that generates its own electricity.

GoldStarz

Normal is awesome on something like Pyroar because it powers up all his voice attacks which makes sense considering he's a lion (and STAB Hyper Voices are always awesome). Other times it makes no sense thought. Heliolisk shouldn't have been part Normal.
This. There's a reason -ate abilities+Boomburst are extremely popular in balanced hackmons.

Honestly the only reason Heliolisk is Electric/Normal is because Game Freak was like "hey we haven't done that type combo before so lets make Heliolisk Electric/Normal for no good reason.
I mean to be fair, Electric/Grass only exists as a Forme. But I do agree that a lot of Gen VI Pokemon need retyping.

Tyrantrum mayhap?

Oh gosh you're still doing these? Anyway you could do gyarados? :)

Hey Inquisitive_Ghost, feel free to ignore this if you don't want to get overloaded with requests, but I'd love a Wobbuffet drawn in your style! I love using Wobbuffet competitively about as much as Arceus and Mega Rayquaza :D

scribbly_pokemon_07_by_quarksney-d9ycpxr.png

FfWP4r3.png
sMyhgbn.png
N6c5i9p.png

HAIL TO THE KING, BABY!

And then there's Wobbuffet in there, fucking up the style of things, AS USUAL.

Boss Doggie

speaking of robots, here are data broadcasts for next eps

XY&Z23: Doublade
XY&Z24: Avalugg
XY&Z25: Snorlax
XY&Z26: Abomasnow
XY&Z27: Carbink
XY&Z28: Pancham
XY&Z29: Charizard

ep 23 is the Ash vs Alain rematch so I guess he is fighting Shota again, 24 is the Phantump ep so I guess they're reaching the Pokemon VIllage that early with an early Wulfric appearance. And Abomasnow is definitely the Wulfric gym ep. The Snorlax, Carbink, Pancham, and Charizard eps are the mysterious ones. Though Charizard is probably Alain ep again.

V-Faction

I'm not kidding when I say you should maybe pitch your concepts to The Pokemon Company, or get in touch with someone from merchandising. Those pictures are good enough to sell as stickers, tattoos, posters, promotional art, etc. It's a brilliant mix of color and line art.

gardfish

Yeah, agreed. Heck, I could see these being TCG art, too, with some backgrounds--they're that excellent.

On that note, I hate being the guy to be like "do my favorite Pokemon too!" but I would love to see a Slowbro in that style.

I'm in the midst of final projects and things, so it may be a little longer to get to the rest of them. Patience is a virtue.

I'm not kidding when I say you should maybe pitch your concepts to The Pokemon Company, or get in touch with someone from merchandising. Those pictures are good enough to sell as stickers, tattoos, posters, promotional art, etc. It's a brilliant mix of color and line art.

Yeah, agreed. Heck, I could see these being TCG art, too, with some backgrounds--they're that excellent.

I appreciate the sentiment, but mine is hardly the only competent Pokemon fan art out there. And companies aren't usually on the prowl for random fan artists, as far as I know.

That said, if anyone genuinely thinks it'll go anywhere, you're free to tip them off. I could certainly use the cash, lol.

I assume Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise was already done/??

Nope. Choose your weapon.

Curious question,

Does anyone have a English named Volcanion?

If you do I can make a extremely generous (trade) offer for it.

It doesn't need to be 6 IV or anything special. It could have crap IV for all I care.

Kyzer

Banned
I'm in the midst of final projects and things, so it may be a little longer to get to the rest of them. Patience is a virtue.

I appreciate the sentiment, but mine is hardly the only competent Pokemon fan art out there. And companies aren't usually on the prowl for random fan artists, as far as I know.

That said, if anyone genuinely thinks it'll go anywhere, you're free to tip them off. I could certainly use the cash, lol.

Nope. Choose your weapon.

Wait, could you do Red? Like my avatar? lol

Fireblend

Banned
I just want to say I've been watching Pokemon XY on Netflix and the episode where Clemont reunites with and catches Luxio was super heartwarming. Such a good show for having on the background while doing other stuff, it's a shame I just exhausted the episodes available on Netflix.

Any place I can continue watching more episodes legally?

Edit: also, these drawings are cool as hell :)

Chase17

Forgot to ask: where in the chronology does the Diancie movie fit in the series? Should I watch it now? :p

Yeah you can watch it now. I think you may even be a little ahead of it as I don't think Clemont has luxio at the time of the movie. There's no real connection plot wise to the series outside of what Pokémon they have at the time so it's not a big deal if you are ahead of when it aired in the series.

Articalys

Even though I haven't watched anything about the anime in over a decade, the fact that they're bothering with all this relationship pandering just pisses me off more since everyone knows it'll all be reset and never spoken of again when they start whatever arc will adapt Sun/Moon.

Mr-Joker

Banned

So Ash is a boobs man, can't blame him.

Even though I haven't watched anything about the anime in over a decade, the fact that they're bothering with all this relationship pandering just pisses me off more since everyone knows it'll all be reset and never spoken of again when they start whatever arc will adapt Sun/Moon.

Agreed it's why I have pretty much dropped watching XY&Z, as there will be no pay off.

Boss Doggie

could be, but who knows? serena's current shtick is anime-only (the design I mean) and maybe they're testing waters if they can also redesign her

also I'm not really big on this mentality. this never stopped people watching shows with obvious conclusions.

Agreed it's why I have pretty much dropped watching XY&Z, as there will be no pay off.

Eh just enjoy the ride. The "pay off" is already the great episodes this series have.

Articalys

could be, but who knows? serena's current shtick is anime-only (the design I mean) and maybe they're testing waters if they can also redesign her

also I'm not really big on this mentality. this never stopped people watching shows with obvious conclusions.

Eh just enjoy the ride. The "pay off" is already the great episodes this series have.
My issue isn't just that the conclusion is obvious. It's that the conclusion is obvious and that the show's going to continue on like none of it ever happened (except for maybe the occasional flashback or visiting guest episodes during SM).

Of course I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, but there's too much inertia in having the slate mostly be swept clean each major season change in what is fundamentally a kids show (no matter how well animated or written it may be at the moment) for me to hope otherwise.

And as for why I said "mostly" swept clean:
What if Ash retires (from the show) this gen.
If he beats Alain, he's basically at Elite 4 level.
Replacing Ash and Pikachu is even more unlikely than Serena continuing into the Sun/Moon season.

Boss Doggie

Just make Ash win the league, even if he returns at least it is a milestone.

My issue isn't just that the conclusion is obvious. It's that the conclusion is obvious and that the show's going to continue on like none of it ever happened (except for maybe the occasional flashback or visiting guest episodes during SM).

Of course I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, but there's too much inertia in having the slate mostly be swept clean each major season change in what is fundamentally a kids show (no matter how well animated or written it may be at the moment) for me to hope otherwise.

Personally I treat each season as a stand-alone stuff, with that said the reset thing only happened once.

And as for why I said "mostly" swept clean:
Replacing Ash and Pikachu is even more unlikely than Serena continuing into the Sun/Moon season.

You can replace Ash if you know what you're doing (i.e. Ash and Serena's child), but not Pikachu.

honestly, i imagine what will happen if they do pursue the relationship moving pass serena having a crush on ash is that she will leave the group to go to training with former showcase queen and they'll just put the relationship on hold until they reunite (in never)

it basically means the relationship developed (keeps the shippers of this happy and basically meant the whole season wasn't a wash) and also closes off any potential future girl going through another round of shipping and lets the writers to never mention this again lol

Articalys

At this point I'll be honest here and just say that one of my major pet peeves is teasing a relationship for a long time and then failing to properly resolve it. So even if in the end Ash actually learns about Serena's crush in whatever way but turns her down, that'd be fine (but obviously not the outcome shippers want, lol).

This is also why I hate Masashi Kishimoto, since they had to make up for him failing to properly write a relationship for years in the manga with a single two-hour movie.

Cranster

Banned
Serena may end up going with Ash to where ever he journey's to next for all we know. Misty traveled with Ash in Kanto, the Orange Islands and Johto regions. Brock also traveled with Ash in multiple regions.

In general I would say though that it will be difficult to come up with another group of traveling companions that can top the current cast. They are the best and most memorable group Ash traveled with since Misty and Brock imo.

JoeM86

Curious question,

Does anyone have a English named Volcanion?

If you do I can make a extremely generous (trade) offer for it.

It doesn't need to be 6 IV or anything special. It could have crap IV for all I care.

Nobody does yet. The event doesn't start for another week

Articalys

Serena may end up going with Ash to where ever he journey's to next for all we know. Misty traveled with Ash in Kanto, the Orange Islands and Johto regions. Brock also traveled with Ash in multiple regions.

In general I would say though that it will be difficult to come up with another group of traveling companions that can top the current cast. They are the best and most memorable group Ash traveled with since Misty and Brock imo.
This, at least, I feel is because there weren't female PCs yet... if Kris has been around in GS, she might have been a replacement instead of being relegated to that side special. Maybe.

Boss Doggie

I want a similar to Gen 1 outcome, get fairly deep into the league just to be crushed at some point and get really depressed for a few episodes, then find some vigor again.

That happened. It was the entirety of BW.

It was terrible.

At this point I'll be honest here and just say that one of my major pet peeves is teasing a relationship for a long time and then failing to properly resolve it. So even if in the end Ash actually learns about Serena's crush in whatever way but turns her down, that'd be fine (but obviously not the outcome shippers want, lol).

This is also why I hate Masashi Kishimoto, since they had to make up for him failing to properly write a relationship for years in the manga with a single two-hour movie.

In Kishimoto's case the problem was more of Naruto was going more towards Sasuke. With that said his feelings for Hinata were a bit more believable than that of Sakura.

This, at least, I feel is because there weren't female PCs yet... if Kris has been around in GS, she might have been a replacement instead of being relegated to that side special. Maybe.

Ash didn't get clothes change to match the protag tho.

Also we did eventually see them in a four-part special.

Top Bottom