• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been browsing all day and haven't seen any convincing leaks so I'm guessing y'all are seeing the fairly convincing ones from last month with the goat, bear, and lizard---had I been up when they "leaked" I may have been taken by them too.

FIRST CONFIRMED LEAK OF A MINCCINO EVOLUTION!

rQ1THQ6.png

Articalys

Woooo, I backed up my Pokemon Yellow save, and through some convoluted shenanigans involving old hardware like a Monster Brain and a Gameboy Smart card and a custom homebrew launcher, I managed to get the save onto my 3DS VC version!
I'm equal parts impressed that a) somebody though of trying to do that, b) that it actually works, and c) jealous that I'm never going to be able to do the same thing with my old Blue cart, which is likely dead by now anyway, somewhere in the back of my storage bins.

Theorymon

I'm equal parts impressed that a) somebody though of trying to do that, b) that it actually works, and c) jealous that I'm never going to be able to do the same thing with my old Blue cart, which is likely dead by now anyway, somewhere in the back of my storage bins.

Honestly I'm shocked my Yellow battery was even still kicking, I bet it could die at any moment!

Also, funnily enough, you can reverse the process to get 3DS VC mons on your actual cart. Guess this means I should give Pokemon Stadium another try!

God its gonna be surreal uploading 15-18 year old Pokemon onto Pokemon Sun and Moon! Pokebank's old Pokemon are just gonna get weirder and weirder as the days go on. Imagine like, families inheriting old Pokemon...

Honestly I'm shocked my Yellow battery was even still kicking, I bet it could die at any moment!
Gen 1 carts are a lot more durable than people give them credit for. The whole reason why Gen 2 died off so fast was only because the clock was constantly running on the battery.
Your Yellow still probably has a save unless it's been kept in terrible conditions ie. under a lot of stuff in extreme temperatures. Out of the all of Gen 1 carts that have been in my possession over the years (about 20, usually just asked to clean them and return them because I'm apparently the only one in town with the right security bit), only one of them is "broken" and it's not due to the save battery, it just crashes after about 5 minutes of playing it (likely a corrosion somewhere). The Japanese Red, Green, and Blue copies I got last year all still had their saves and those were likely made before the west even had the games yet.

I'm actually surprised how much of a beating those carts can take. I once revived a friend's copy of Crystal that was sitting in his garage and had a mysterious black film on the board and contacts. The thing still boots, maybe not the first time but within 3 attempts. Of course, it can't save, didn't really feel like touching it more than cleaning the contacts so I didn't get the battery out.

Articalys

Also, funnily enough, you can reverse the process to get 3DS VC mons on your actual cart. Guess this means I should give Pokemon Stadium another try!

God its gonna be surreal uploading 15-18 year old Pokemon onto Pokemon Sun and Moon! Pokebank's old Pokemon are just gonna get weirder and weirder as the days go on. Imagine like, families inheriting old Pokemon...
To that last point of yours: remember, you're probably like 1% of 1% of 1% of people who would both have the idea and have the means to extract Game Boy save data from an official cart on real hardware, and successfully have it read by an officially emulated game release on real hardware.

Theorymon

Gen 1 carts are a lot more durable than people give them credit for. The whole reason why Gen 2 died off so fast was only because the clock was constantly running on the battery.
Your Yellow still probably has a save unless it's been kept in terrible conditions ie. under a lot of stuff in extreme temperatures. Out of the all of Gen 1 carts that have been in my possession over the years (about 20, usually just asked to clean them and return them because I'm apparently the only one in town with the right security bit), only one of them is "broken" and it's not due to the save battery, it just crashes after about 5 minutes of playing it (likely a corrosion somewhere). The Japanese Red, Green, and Blue copies I got last year all still had their saves and those were likely made before the west even had the games yet.

I'm actually surprised how much of a beating those carts can take. I once revived a friend's copy of Crystal that was sitting in his garage and had a mysterious black film on the board and contacts. The thing still boots, maybe not the first time but within 3 attempts. Of course, it can't save, didn't really feel like touching it more than cleaning the contacts so I didn't get the battery out.

Oh wow, that's good to know. I was really worried that my Yellow version would die before I got the right equipment to back it up. This actually makes me consider seeing if I could track down the Japanese version of Pokemon Blue and finally play that, hmm....

To that last point of yours: remember, you're probably like 1% of 1% of 1% of people who would both have the idea and have the means to extract Game Boy save data from an official cart on real hardware, and successfully have it read by an officially emulated game release on real hardware.

That's true, though at that last part I was thinking more about the Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald / Fire Red / Leaf Green Pokemon, which themselves can be up to 14 years old already.

But yeah I guess not many people are gonna go through all of that to save their old gen 1 mons. It was quite a mess to actually get all that set up, and the gameboy smart card actually set me back over 40 bucks (thankfully, the Monster Brain is like 10 dollars on amazon at the moment lol).

Also speaking of that, it seems like I have an Ampharos and a Stantler on my Pokemon Stadium 2 cart. I wish I thought ahead and put more of my gen 2 mons on there before the GSC batteries died, but maybe I should revive them as the lone survivors of the battery apocalypse should gamefreak release Gen 2 on virtual console ;D

EDIT: If anyone wants proof, here's my old, almost 18 year old Mewtwo from Pokemon Red on both my Yellow cart and my Yellow VC! I took the photo with a freaking 2DS though, so its basically potato quality...

I have good memories of this Mewtwo btw. I was the only kid at my school who was using Amensia Mewtwo, so this mofo won me a lot of Pokemon cards B)

Yo-Kai Watch 3 details from Coro Coro are coming out. Pokémon stuff's likely to come soon.

EDIT: This month's Sun and Moon feature appears to be a promise that there'll be news next month.

It's even less than I expected!

Regardless of whether or not Coro Coro was a bit misleading or not (for me, at least, a promise for news next month is not a "feature"), announcing a game and repeatedly not offering any information at all for three months when it's out before the year's out is an utterly insane reveal strategy.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Regardless of whether or not Coro Coro was a bit misleading or not (for me, at least, a promise for news next month is not a "feature"), revealing a game and repeatedly not offering any information at all for three months is an utterly insane reveal strategy.

Unless there's something blocking them from doing so *putsnxtinfoilhat*

Unless there's something blocking them from doing so *putsnxtinfoilhat*
If it's not that, then frankly there's some problems behind the scenes, because the impression they're giving off is that that they rushed an announcement for the anniversary and STILL don't have anything to show for it.

Regardless of whether or not Coro Coro was a bit misleading or not (for me, at least, a promise for news next month is not a "feature"), announcing a game and repeatedly not offering any information at all for three months when it's out before the year's out is an utterly insane reveal strategy.

Taking trolling lessons from Atlus, I see.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I see that CoroCoro teased the box-arts. I suppose next month is when they'll reveal the legendaries. I don't know if they'll say much else, but those should be guaranteed. At least, that's my takeaway from the box-art tease.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It wasn't bad enough that I had awful Doctor's appointment but Corocoro had to make it worse by saying "Psyche, we're totally showing Pokémon Sun and Moon info in the next issue." At least give us a silhouette or something. ¬_¬;

Sun and Moon better be worth it and not a disappointment that was X and Y otherwise I am gonna be very annoyed in getting hyped up.

#Hypeddeflated

Sandfox

It wasn't bad enough that I had awful Doctor's appointment but Corocoro had to make it worse by saying "Psyche, we're totally showing Pokémon Sun and Moon info in the next issue." At least give us a silhouette or something. ¬_¬;

Sun and Moon better be worth it and not a disappointment that was X and Y otherwise I am gonna be very annoyed in getting hyped up.

#Hypeddeflated

Technically they did give us a silhouette lol.

It's a great way to make me not care about the games, that's for sure.
Technically they did give us a silhouette lol.
?
I don't see a silhouette.

Could some PM me where to go to see the fake leaks?

Hell even fakes would be enough to get my imagination going until we get official stuff.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man I should hold back before posting as the Corocoro news that I was expecting namely the Volcanion movie confirmed that Magearna is Fairy/Steel.

Regardless of getting something or not (slightly in my feelings a bit right now), it's not as if my wanting the game is solely predicated on there being info in CC in a given month. I'm not that fickle with new releases. It'll come out when it comes out, this is all about prerelease info.

Doesn't mean I'm not miffed though *shakes fist at CC* but at least there is a more solid promise for next month.

--edit--
Oh right, next month is a month before E3. Oooh~

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
so now I'm seeing people saying they saw something on the covers (some saying Perfect Zygarde)

but personally I thought there weren't anything on the 3DS boxes, that they looked more like backgrounds without the logo and mon.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Regardless of getting something or not (slightly in my feelings a bit right now), it's not as if my wanting the game is solely predicated on there being info in CC in a given month. I'm not that fickle with new releases. It'll come out when it comes out, this is all about prerelease info.

Doesn't mean I'm not miffed though *shakes fist at CC* but at least there is a more solid promise for next month.

Agreed, I am gonna get the game regardless, heck I even have them pre-ordered.

The reason why I kinda thirsty for new for Pokémon Sun and Moon is so that I can know what exactly is Game Freak cooking.

I am trying to control my hype as I got so hyped for X/Y and it crushed me when the game ended up disappointing me and I trying to avoid a repeat of that.

but personally I thought there weren't anything on the 3DS boxes, that they looked more like backgrounds without the logo and mon.

Yeah that's what I saw as well.

Honestly though I am not expecting Zygarde to be on the box for Sun and Moon nor do I want him to be on the box as I am viewing Sun and Moon as a gen 7 game.

#Zygardewasrobbed

Yep. Announce your game only when you're ready. Letting a single announcement drag out for 3 months doesn't really seem smart. There was no reason that they couldn't have waited until either this month or May for the reveal. On top of that, I don't really see what was stopping them from showing any gameplay in February, it's not like they haven't showed us early gameplay before that was improved in the final game (Castelia City).

On the flipside, I wasn't expecting anything major anyway because bigger news generally leaks earlier.

Chase17

I imagine they wanted to announce the game for the 20th anniversary, which is why we may have a 3 month gap with little info.

Even then, 3 months of no info is nothing compared to some games *glares at Zelda*. It's just worse in the sense that Pokemon brings more hope for big news when it's just something little that's promised.

Good to know Magearna typing.

I imagine they wanted to announce the game for the 20th anniversary, which is why we may have a 3 month gap with little info.

Even then, 3 months of no info is nothing compared to some games *glares at Zelda*. It's just worse in the sense that Pokemon brings more hope for big news when it's just something little that's promised.

Good to know Magearna typing.

We've at least seen what the new Zelda game looks like.

Chase17

We've at least seen what the new Zelda game looks like.
Which is worse in my opinion. I would have preferred if Zelda U were to be announced this year, but they had to show it early to help keep the Wii U audience happy. Of course last years delay also contributed to its long process. I think the best time to reveal a game/show gameplay is about 6 months out from release. Like 3D World, ALBW and Fallout 4. I think that is essentially what sun and moon's plan is, they just wanted to announce it a little earlier for the 20th anniversary.

GoldStarz

I'd have been happier with nothing and a "Sun/Moon next month!" than this. This just seems dickish tbh.

I was referring to the covers.

Those aren't silhouettes. There's not even an outline, just a splash of white. You could speculate at a silhouette, you can't do anything with this.

Kyzer

Banned
timing feeling about right for a pre-e3/nx reveal nintendo direct soon IMO. if corocoro actually has any substantial info then i also expect some pokemon morsels

JoeM86

I really still am of the belief that they won't want the first look at the games to be through leaked magazine imagery.

GoldStarz

I really still am of the belief that they won't want the first look at the games to be through leaked magazine imagery.

I can understand that, I just don't get why they have to be such a trolling tease with stuff like "look here's kinda the boxart except not really at all!" It's fairly grating.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I feel like there's a strong possibility we'll have the Legendaries appear sooner than next CoroCoro via online, so there's that.

Top Bottom