• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Is this thread for the games or a anime or both?

I just broke a 10 year hiatus of Pokémon. I last stopped with Diamond, and I just best Heart gold yesterday. I'm finally going to reattempt to catch them all since I was just 20 shy in Diamond.

I'm planning to buy a copy of black or black 2 to be able to transfer my old mons to bank and into my copy of X. I finally decided to actually play through and enjoy X version since I got the game for free 2 years ago digitally from the Nintendo promotion.

Just started a new game in X today, and here we go.

JoeM86

I just broke a 10 year hiatus of Pokémon. I last stopped with Diamond, and I just best Heart gold yesterday. I'm finally going to reattempt to catch them all since I was just 20 shy in Diamond.

I'm planning to buy a copy of black or black 2 to be able to transfer my old mons to bank and into my copy of X. I finally decided to actually play through and enjoy X version since I got the game for free 2 years ago digitally from the Nintendo promotion.

It's for Pokémon in general :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh1NTCWHP-4

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So

Uh

I guess Ash has a Mega Ring now

It's not.

It's actually Clemont's invention. In the first Alan vs Ash fight, he said he'd invent something to try and calculate the phenomena. This is it. Apparently it works so good because somehow something triggers that made Ash's face go

PQ3qzq7.gif

GoldStarz

Everything Pokemon-related.

I'm planning to buy a copy of black or black 2 to be able to transfer my old mons to bank and into my copy of X.

You should get both, they're some of the best games in the series (and way better than XY, or ORAS for that matter). Good luck on your X playthrough, not that you need it.

Menitta

I'm currently going through all of the DS Pokemon games I have.

I finished Platinum yesterday, and all I have to say about that game is fighting Cynthia underleveled is a trip. What a great game.

I started up Soul Silver today. I think that rival is one of the best in the series. He starts out hating you and gets super salty when you beat him. By the post game, he's fighting with you which is awesome. It definitely shows more progression as a character compared to Barry or Brandon. At least that's what I think. Also, I didn't know that if you play as a girl, the music that plays when your friend shows up is different.

Can't wait to get to the spin-offs. I remember having so much fun with Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia and Guardian Signs.

WPS

I think that rival is one of the best in the series.

I've never entirely understood why people feel this way. I guess you're right in that he has a very noticeable character arc, but he starts off such an edgy asshole that I can't take him seriously.

His dialogue of "rahhh you're a weakling pokémon are tools rahhh" just feels completely unimpressive and stale after the first time and he always proclaims this AFTER you've royally kicked his ass. There's no catharsis in owning him since he doesn't actually seem to notice. His arc also seems to take place over a rather short period. He doesn't show any real signs of learning anything until late game.

Meanwhile, while I quite liked Barry as a rival. He's no Blue, but he's still fun to compete with, even if he's a fairly static character.

Nightbird

You know, after actually finishing the Delta Episode I have to change my opinion on ORAS a bit.

1.) It does not have an endgame as bland as the one in XY. There is more to do there, it's just that after the greatness that LG/FR/HG/SS brought, it felt really disappointing.

2.) The Delta Episode does have enough content to be considered the replacement for Emerald. However, and that goes hand in hand with the previous point, the remakes before it (HG/SS in particular) did a much, much better job at including stuff from the third version. The Delta Episode feels like something they came up with after finishing the script for ORAS.

3.) Zinnia is a fucking amazing character, and the closest thing to an "No type character" I've seen yet. She is better than AZ by far, and her theme is godly. It's just a bummer you can listen to it only once if you capture Deyoxys on the first try.

Well, those are the most important updates. I still love soaring, could vomit at the thought of them thinking copy pasting the Battle Mansion and teasing the Battle Frontier was a good idea, and I still miss that you can't really fight gym leaders, but everyone else instead.

Before I would have given ORAS the sad score of 5/10, simply because Hoenn was never that interesting to me, and many features I would have loved to see, and have expected to see never appeared, also the novelty of 3D Pokémon quickly went away due to XY, so hiding behind shiny graphics didn't work anymore.

Now that I did everything, I'll bump that score up to 7/10, just. 5 more than the score XY would have received from me. It does enough things right so I got my fair share of enjoyment at the end, but then again, it's only once, and the rest of the features have either been played to death already in a previous entry (Battle Mansion) or are just a amusing little time waster for me (Contests).

So yeah, ORAS is definitely better than XY, but not by much. In my eyes GF still completely neglected the ones who don't play that much online during Gen 6, but I can't fault them for trying to build the best possible online experience, and I just hope that they get back to fix this in Sun and Moon :)

Menitta

I've never entirely understood why people feel this way. I guess you're right in that he has a very noticeable character arc, but he starts off such an edgy asshole that I can't take him seriously.

His dialogue of "rahhh you're a weakling pokémon are tools rahhh" just feels completely unimpressive and stale after the first time and he always proclaims this AFTER you've royally kicked his ass. There's no catharsis in owning him since he doesn't actually seem to notice. His arc also seems to take place over a rather short period. He doesn't show any real signs of learning anything until late game.

Meanwhile, while I quite liked Barry as a rival. He's no Blue, but he's still fun to compete with, even if he's a fairly static character.

I wasn't hating on Barry. Barry is awesome, He's such a likable character. The rivalry you have with him is like Ryu and Ken but more hyper.

As for Silver, your criticisms are completely fair. I guess another reason I really like him is because of his visual design. Also, his character is a nice change of pace from the typical happy rival.

WPS

OHHHH

did he even do anything?

He accidentally stole a pokémon, repeatedly ran into you, briefly became Crasher Wake's apprentice, helped you fight team galactic with varying levels of success and his dad runs the battle frontier and I think he's second only to Red for highest level boss fight.

More then Hugh, Tierno, Trevor, Callem, Serena, Brendan and May, certainly.

Edit:
I wasn't hating on Barry. Barry is awesome, He's such a likable character. The rivalry you have with him is like Ryu and Ken but more hyper.

As for Silver, your criticisms are completely fair. I guess another reason I really like him is because of his visual design. Also, his character is a nice change of pace from the typical happy rival.

Whoops. I jumped the gun, since I see a lot of people complain about him, and you put him in the same sentence as Brendan.

I guess he's a nice change of pace in HGSS, but I remember him more from GSC where we'd only had Blue beforehand, and the trend of damp rivals like Brendan or Dawn weren't yet a trend.

Edit2:
He meant anime!Barry.

Wait, how can you tell?

GoldStarz

He accidentally stole a pokémon, repeatedly ran into you, briefly became Crasher Wake's apprentice, helped you fight team galactic with varying levels of success and his dad runs the battle frontier and I think he's second only to Red for highest level boss fight.

More then Hugh, Tierno, Trevor, Callem, Serena, Brendan and May, certainly.

Edit:

Whoops. I jumped the gun, since I see a lot of people complain about him, and you put him in the same sentence as Brendan.

I guess he's a nice change of pace in HGSS, but I remember him more from GSC where we'd only had Blue beforehand, and the trend of damp rivals like Brendan or Dawn weren't yet a trend.

He meant anime!Barry.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I think that Silver suffers from the Team Rocket plot not being well fleshed out as his arc is tied with Team Rocket and his issue with his dad, which is only mention in the remake.

It also doesn't help that we never saw his encounter with Lance so we never got to hear what Lance had to say to him.

And then by the end of Johto it felt like that his story wasn't over yet and only comes to an end when you rematch the Elite 4 as his team is fully evolved, including his Golbat who evolves via happiness.

The remake sorts of flesh him out a bit but with one of his story being locked behind an event it just doesn't work and Game Freak should tweak the story so that they could expand on Team Rocket returning in both region so that it feels like an adventure arcing over 2 regions.

3.) Zinnia is a fucking amazing character, and the closest thing to an "No type character" I've seen yet. She is better than AZ by far, and her theme is godly. It's just a bummer you can listen to it only once if you capture Deyoxys on the first try.

Agreed Zinnia is such an interesting character and I felt sorry for when I learnt that she lost her daughter and I felt that she's in the wrong game, as Zinnia was far more interesting than AZ and was limited by the fact she was in a Hoenn remake something that she's didn't originally appear in.

I do hope that she returns in Sun and Moon.

I also agreed that the Hoenn remake basically improves on what X and Y should have had in the first place and does some thing better, like not forcing the players into the mega tutorial.

But in the end I feel that the Hoenn can not be counted to represent gen 6 as a whole and that honour must fall on X and Y, which is why I wanted "Pokémon Z" to happen so that Kalos could get a chance in the spotlight to impress me and maybe fix some of the mistake that X and Y had, but alas it wasn't to be and gen 6 live and died with a dull dud.

So yeah, ORAS is definitely better than XY, but not by much. In my eyes GF still completely neglected the ones who don't play that much online during Gen 6, but I can't fault them for trying to build the best possible online experience, and I just hope that they get back to fix this in Sun and Moon :)

Yeah Gen 6 was heavily focus on the multiplayer which was something that I had no interest in and was why mega didn't appeal to me as they were built for multiplayer.

Really really hoping for Sun and Moon to redeem the series.

OHHHH

did he even do anything?

He did more than what Tierno, Trevor and fucking Wally the loser ever did.

#FuckWallytheloser.

GoldStarz

He did more than what Tierno, Trevor and fucking Wally the loser ever did.

#FuckWallytheloser.

Wally is a really good character though. I wish they increased his role is ORAS because I really love his arc of a sickly kid that everyone underestimates and proves himself by becoming your full-on rival by the end.

GoldStarz

I'm gonna have to replay X before Sun and Moon comes out. I don't remember Serena in the games at all. I guess that proves your point.

Basically, despite XY being some of the easiest Pokemon games ever, the game expects you to be on par with your rival even thought you'll pretty much continuously wipe the floor with them after your first couple of battles. After that they'll basically be like "Oh wow! That battle was so close!" even though it wasn't at all and you're left wondering what delusional world your rival is living in.

Mr-Joker

Banned
[/B]
Wally is a really good character though. I wish they increased his role is ORAS because I really love his arc of a sickly kid that everyone underestimates and proves himself by becoming your full-on rival by the end.

The whole reason why I never liked Wally is because the whole role reversal thing is just dumb as we were meant to be the weaker trainer who needed to be shown how to catch Pokémon not baby sit someone get a rare Pokémon.

Also you only get to battle Wally once before Victory Road and it was pathetic battle as he only has one Pokémon and is weak you then fight him in Victory Road to which at that I point I was like, "Who are you?" before the battle started.

It was only when his Gardevoir came did I remember who he was and I was like meh as we were told that he somehow gotten stronger but ever actually saw him as he barely appears in between his battle in Mauville City and Victory Road.

I don't acknowledge Wally as a Rival as he doesn't have a starter, doesn't challenge me in battle frequently, doesn't even have a rival theme in the original not that his theme in the remake is any good.

So May is my rival in Hoenn and I am glad that she got fleshed out in the remake as it just felt odd that she just kinda stopped her journey at Lilycove City.

... That's Shauna...

Not in my play through it wasn't. ;p

Bit off-topic to what you're all talking about but does anyone know if it's confirmed that the DexNAV has a greater shiny encounter rate? I know a lot of people say it does but I've spent all day looking for a Shiny Zorua and I haven't found one yet.

On-topic, my favourite rival is probably Barry tbh. I don't know, he was just likeable while also actually being a bit of a challenge.

GoldStarz

Bit off-topic to what you're all talking about but does anyone know if it's confirmed that the DexNAV has a greater shiny encounter rate? I know a lot of people say it does but I've spent all day looking for a Shiny Zorua and I haven't found one yet.

On-topic, my favourite rival is probably Barry tbh. I don't know, he was just likeable while also actually being a bit of a challenge.
I know it's higher, but I still don't think it's high. You have been chaining them though, right?

scribbly_pokemon_08_by_quarksney-d9yvbst.png

rwgzxzS.png
nUIEYwe.png
hH5g2mS.png

I thought Scyther was obnoxious to draw. Kyurem is like an order of magnitude worse.

Thank you so much!

I cannot wait to have a Mega-Feraligatr. He's my favorite Pokemon, and I hope that if we get a Mega they make him cuadrupedal and boost the speed a lot to match the Dex entry.

I'm currently going through all of the DS Pokemon games I have.

I finished Platinum yesterday, and all I have to say about that game is fighting Cynthia underleveled is a trip. What a great game.

I started up Soul Silver today. I think that rival is one of the best in the series. He starts out hating you and gets super salty when you beat him. By the post game, he's fighting with you which is awesome. It definitely shows more progression as a character compared to Barry or Brandon. At least that's what I think. Also, I didn't know that if you play as a girl, the music that plays when your friend shows up is different.

Can't wait to get to the spin-offs. I remember having so much fun with Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia and Guardian Signs.

Well, I think that he's great precisely because he's an edgy asshole. He's hateable, it's satisfying to beat him and prove him wrong. Not on the same level as Blue, who is also an edgy asshole, but he's more tied to your character and you grow up as the same time.

But Silver was fun to beat. I think he was the last real Rival, all the other are just your friends (maybe with the exception of N, but that's another story), and ultimately it's sad to crush them everytime. Serena was so in high hopes to battle you everytime, and you never lose to her. It's nearly impossible to lose to her, let alone the other guys.

N gave me the feel of a real rival, but he's more an hybrid of rival and antagonist.

By the way, a question. I only played BW, but not BW2, I was reading that the PWT with the gym leaders of other regions is avaliable in the game, with no download necesary? I thought it was japan only

WPS

Well, I think that he's great precisely because he's an edgy asshole. He's hateable, it's satisfying to beat him and prove him wrong. Not on the same level as Blue, who is also an edgy asshole, but he's more tied to your character and you grow up as the same time.

But Silver was fun to beat. I think he was the last real Rival, all the other are just your friends (maybe with the exception of N, but that's another story), and ultimately it's sad to crush them everytime. Serena was so in high hopes to battle you everytime, and you never lose to her. It's nearly impossible to lose to her, let alone the other guys.

N gave me the feel of a real rival, but he's more an hybrid of rival and antagonist.

By the way, a question. I only played BW, but not BW2, I was reading that the PWT with the gym leaders of other regions is avaliable in the game, with no download necesary? I thought it was japan only

I don't think friendship is necessarily a hindrance to a good rival, as long as they're competitive. Yes, Barry doesn't have the mean-streak that Blue or Silver do, but he makes everything into a race or a competition and he's got enough of an ego so he's still fun to beat. I agree that all the other friend rivals are rubbish though, Serena especially.

Meanwhile I don't really feel that you get to prove Silver wrong. It's not like he calls you weak, you own him, he runs off. He's angry when you beat him because he's just perpetually angry all the time and I end up feeling like I needn't have bothered.

I guess this stuff is really subjective though.

As your question, the PWT is just naturally there in BW2. There's a few download exclusive tournaments (now sadly lost to time), but they only introduce new teams for characters already there. You can fight any gym leader you want (except Koga) in the base game.

Well, what do you need them for first, because I can tell you some popular OU Doubles Picks, but if it's Singles you're looking for i can't help you.

I'm not super deep into the technicalities of Pokemon, but from my experiences, Drapion and Nidoking come to mind. Toxicroak is good, but 4x weak to psychic.

Edit. These being doubles. Poison/Dark, Poison/Ground, and Poison/Fighting respectively.

Drapion, Scolipede, Gengar, Weezing, Roserade

I never used one on a playthrough and just wanted some considerations.

GoldStarz

I never used one on a playthrough and just wanted some considerations.

Oh then like, you get through a regular main campaign with pretty much any Pokemon in my experience. The ones listed above are pretty good choices though

To be fair only Silver, Cheren, and Serena/Callum had outright goals of beating you. The rest were more or less battling you for the fun of it.

Nope, you just gotta beat the E4 and Iris, then beat the Unova Leaders Tournament, and then that unlocks the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh Leaders Tournaments.

I don't think friendship is necessarily a hindrance to a good rival, as long as they're competitive. Yes, Barry doesn't have the mean-streak that Blue or Silver do, but he makes everything into a race or a competition and he's got enough of an ego so he's still fun to beat. I agree that all the other friend rivals are rubbish though, Serena especially.

Meanwhile I don't really feel that you get to prove Silver wrong. It's not like he calls you weak, you own him, he runs off. He's angry when you beat him because he's just perpetually angry all the time and I end up feeling like I needn't have bothered.

I guess this stuff is really subjective though.

As your question, the PWT is just naturally there in BW2. There's a few download exclusive tournaments (now sadly lost to time), but they only introduce new teams for characters already there. You can fight any gym leader you want (except Koga) in the base game.

Well, I agree, thats why I said that the rest are mostly "just" friends. Barry is closer to a Rival, you're right its a good character. But personally, it didnt gave ne the same vibes. Though now I started a replay of Platinum, maybe things will be different.

Blue and Silver are plain Rivals during your journey specially Blue, since hes the ultimate rival.

Thanks for answering my question. I'll grab B2W2 then, I cannot let those rematch pass.

401 DexNAV encounters and still no shiny Zorua. Makes a change from the Spinda, Seedot, Foongus and Whismur I caught quite easily earlier in the week I guess but it's taking a while if the YouTube videos I've seen are anything to go by.

Menitta

401 DexNAV encounters and still no shiny Zorua. Makes a change from the Spinda, Seedot, Foongus and Whismur I caught quite easily earlier in the week I guess but it's taking a while if the YouTube videos I've seen are anything to go by.

Shiny hunting is the worst. I tried to get a shiny Eevee in X and I just don't have the patience. The last shiny I caught was a random Geodude in Mt Coronet. Best of luck to you!

Top Bottom