• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

I'm currently in Kyoto.

So I had a good look around yesterday for a Japanese 2ds, as in the original pokemon pack (red /green /blue /yellow) but didn't find any. The only place selling them seems to be on Amazon and they are ¥13,000 instead of the supposed ¥9,999 recommended price. Are they rare or something?

Yes, I do need to buy one as I didn't even realise that 3ds' were region locked... Now i know why people hate that shit :)

Any help?

Daemul

That's Shauna.

Your rival FRIENDZONED you so quickly.

oh shit thats right...

damn i think i repressed it

720d99166607e38f2c89f02105e7b0da.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find the result hilarious, but why are people confusing the handsome poll as some sort of "all of Japan"

Articalys

I find the result hilarious, but why are people confusing the handsome poll as some sort of "all of Japan"
Do you honestly believe anybody posting in that thread actually gives a damn about the logistics of the poll

Mad props to whoever posted the picture of Looker though. That's probably going to fly over the heads of 99% of the people who see it.

Boss Doggie

Heh, there was a scan of a plane Volcanion, for a moment I thought it was a Volcanion form, turns out it's just a promo of the usual "Pokemon designed airplanes".

I can't believe Zoroark ranked.
shapeshifter advantage

they can be anything you want~

Do you honestly believe anybody posting in that thread actually gives a damn about the logistics of the poll

Mad props to whoever posted the picture of Looker though. That's probably going to fly over the heads of 99% of the people who see it.
true that

v1perz53

Cheren is okay in the game and Bianca is good in the anime but not both at the same time. Barry was a double threat.

Barry was the only rival in any pokemon game that made me actually want to slap him in the face every time he showed up. Didn't even feel that way towards Gary or Silver. Mission successful I guess as a rival?

Menitta

Cheren is okay in the game and Bianca is good in the anime but not both at the same time. Barry was a double threat.

I thought Bianca was the only redeeming character in Best Wishes.

As for Barry, I think he should've been in DP from the beginning instead of Paul.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So er Pokémon twitter did "who that Pokémon?" with a silhouette of what I assume is Voltorb.

I am just laughing hard as in my head story I made that my character and Serena started dating at the end of Pokémon Y. Then I had like a love triangle between my character, Serena and Shauna.

Dunno, alain's shaping to be a good contender

I wonder if he will cross into the game.

Surprised Weezing is good. I just assume if a villain grunt uses said pokemon it sucks.

Weezing is actually pretty bulky and has one weakness so he can wear the opponents down.

Crobat and Tentacruel are also good Pokémon that people tend to overlook due how common they are.

I thought Bianca was the only redeeming character in Best Wishes.

Yeah I wish that they went with Bianca instead of Iris.

As for Barry, I think he should've been in DP from the beginning instead of Paul.

Nah Paul is really different from Barry as he has a harsher training methods, not interested in befriending Pokémon and releases any Pokémon that isn't strong or fits with his training methods. This is why he and Ash clashed as they disagreed with each other training method and sought out to prove that their way was better but in the end they learned from each other and a little about themselves.

Barry on the other is light hearted guy who is serous about surpassing his dad but actually cares about his Pokémon so it wouldn't have worked if he was the rival instead of Paul. Though I do think that Barry should have been introduce a lot earlier.

Menitta

Yeah I wish that they went with Bianca instead of Iris.

Oh my god, that would make it so much better!

Nah Paul is really different from Barry as he has a harsher training methods, not interested in befriending Pokémon and releases any Pokémon that isn't strong or fits with his training methods. This is why he and Ash clashed as they disagreed with each other training method and sought out to prove that their way was better but in the end they learned from each other and a little about themselves.

Barry on the other is light hearted guy who is serous about surpassing his dad but actually cares about his Pokémon so it wouldn't have worked if he was the rival instead of Paul. Though I do think that Barry should have been introduce a lot earlier.

That's true. Ash and Paul had a very strong rivalry. They could've had both Paul and Barry earlier in the series. I was really bummed out they didn't introduce Barry until like midway through Galactic Battles. They probably did that to give Paul more focus, but I think it would've been cooler if they bounced back and forth between the two.

WPS

I wonder if he will cross into the game.

He's actually alluded to by Stephen's Dad in ORAS.

Anime characters pretty much never turn up in the games though. All we've had are Jessie and James, plus a couple of movie characters as generic trainers in 4th gen, which the translators missed anyway.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Okay, this has to be Jigglypuff seen from above.

That's what I originally though but then I remembered that Solosis is also round, though he's more of an oval shape.

Watch it be a mini Electrode. ;p

Gary/Blue is the best rival.

One of the best rival? Yep

One of the best gym leader? Yep

Best Champion though pfft no he has the shortest reign of being a Champion.

He's actually alluded to by Stephen's Dad in ORAS.

Anime characters pretty much never turn up in the games though. All we've had are Jessie and James, plus a couple of movie characters as generic trainers in 4th gen, which the translators missed anyway.

Yeah, he probably won't be in the game.

As for the translator missing stuff in X and Y they missed the fact that Lass Anna's in Santalune Forest Japanese name is Rica, the actress that voices Ash in Japan and she uses a male Pikachu on her team.

The localization team ruined an Easter Egg as they didn't spot that and could have replaced Rica for who ever Voices Ash in each languages.

Articalys

"Ruined" is a bit of a harsh word for missing a very small reference that stops mattering as soon as you finish battling the character...

Menitta

I'd say the best champion is Cynthia. Her design is awesome, I love her team, and she's great in the anime. Also, the music that plays before you fight her, I get chills down my spine every time.

Zalman

Cynthia is my favorite champion. Gary/Blue is my favorite rival.

I'd like them to go back to rivals that actually feel like rivals. They haven't really done that since Gen 2.

WPS

I'd say the best champion is Cynthia. Her design is awesome, I love her team, and she's great in the anime. Also, the music that plays before you fight her, I get chills down my spine every time.

Oh, easily. She's probably the most challenging Champion in the entire series too. Her intro theme instantly lets you know something is about to go down, even if you were just exploring a peaceful beach resort, not looking for a fight.

B2W2 and XY made a serious misstep in not giving their champions enough screen time before hand. There's no satisfaction in fighting a final boss you know next to nothing about.

Menitta

Oh, easily. She's probably the most challenging Champion in the entire series too. Her intro theme instantly lets you know something is about to go down, even if you were just exploring a peaceful beach resort, not looking for a fight.

B2W2 and XY made a serious misstep in not giving their champions enough screen time before hand. There's no satisfaction in fighting a final boss you know next to nothing about.

Absolutely. I was severely underleveled (by about 7-10 levels) in my most recent Platinum run, and I didn't feel like grinding for 3 hours, so I just spent all of my money on Full Restores and Revives because I just wanted to finish it. That was easily the toughest battle I've ever done in all of my Pokemon experience.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
XY definitely but I thought Black and White and B2/W2 did a great job with the champions. Of course they aren't as good as Cynthia but they aren't complete nobodies like Lance and Diantha.

GoldStarz

XY definitely but I thought Black and White and B2/W2 did a great job with the champions. Of course they aren't as good as Cynthia but they aren't complete nobodies like Lance and Diantha.

B2W2 worked because you knew Iris, but I still think Bianca also being Champion would've been a better twist tbh
and it would've been pay off for her having the superior team over Cheren in B/W

Also, Lance had a good role in GSC with the Lake of Rage Infiltration and his connection to Claire, I thought. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that Diantha is hands-down the worst Champion in the series. The only good thing about her is the theme music that plays when you battle her which is way more grand and epic than it should be.

Mr-Joker

Banned
"Ruined" is a bit of a harsh word for missing a very small reference that stops mattering as soon as you finish battling the character...

Oh yeah when I said ruined I meant "ah they messed up but it isn't a big deal in the long run" and not "OH MY GOD THEY FREAKING RUINED IT!!!"

It also helps that Cynthia was originally Rowan's assistance so we had a connection with her.

Plus she tested the trainers in difference way, was very knowledgeable about Pokémon lore and had this air of mystery to her in the sense that we didn't knew what Pokémon she had on her team but she was strong as she casually remarked that she wished that she battled Giratina.

I'd like them to go back to rivals that actually feel like rivals. They haven't really done that since Gen 2.

They would need to go back to 1 rival with a full team as Barry was the last rival to have a full team that grew with your team.

Arceus help us if Sun and Moon tries to pull another group of friend that X and Y had, that was the case of quantity over quality.

I wouldn't say that Lance was a nobody as he;

-Hailed from Blackthorn City.
-Came from a long line of Dragon Master.
-Was cousin with Clair.
-Appeared in Gen 1 so the players would know who he is.
-Fucking told his Dragonite to use hyper beam on a person.
-Was caring about Pokémon and the environment.

If anything Lance did more than Diantha ever did, god was she so terrible.

Arceus help us if Sun and Moon makes Diantha the champion again or give us another boring champion.

You wouldn't know the joy I felt when I ran into Steven in the Hoenn remake as he felt connected in his interest about Hoenn history.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that Diantha is hands-down the worst Champion in the series. The only good thing about her is the theme music that plays when you battle her which is way more grand and epic than it should be.

Yeah Diantha's theme is really good as it felt angelic but the problem it was too epic for her for three reasons;

1. Her team was not well thought out as I tore through her team knowing that she was going to send her Gardevoir out last.

2. We knew nothing about her as we only saw her twice which not enough time for her to leave an impression on us heck she says this;

"Oh, and you're both Trainers! Don't your Pokémon look happy? I'm a Trainer myself, in my off time. I look forward to us battling someday!"

Basically Diantha straight up say that she's the champion and that we will battle her because the plot says so.

3. Her ace Pokémon is Gardevoir, a gen 3 Pokémon. Yeah sure she goes mega but Diantha outright stated that she doesn't know what mega evolution was, her ace Pokémon should have been a gen 6 Pokémon.

Lance gets away with his ace being a gen 1 Pokémon as it was already establish that it was his ace and gen 2 only introduce one new Dragon type, plus they actually restructure his team to fix with the theme of Dragon/Air Master.

Honestly Diantha is a victim of X and Y story being too unfocused and poorly paced, I am not sure what exactly happened after gen 5 which had a really good and well thought out story other than assuming that Game Freak put the story on the back burner and didn't give it the attention that it needed.

Macka

Honestly Diantha is a victim of X and Y story being too unfocused and poorly paced, I am not sure what exactly happened after gen 5 which had a really good and well thought out story other than assuming that Game Freak put the story on the back burner and didn't give it the attention that it needed.
Moving to a 3D engine likely gave them trouble, and having to create 721 3D models (plus another ~100 alternate forms) along with all of their animations probably took a while as well. Story took a hit because of it.

GoldStarz

I can't believe Ash is fucking dead.

On the Champion topic, thinking about it, Cynthia was actually kinda a prototype for the development we'd see in the Gym Leaders for Gen V:

>She had a fully developed personality
>She had a life outside of Pokemon battling
>>She had an occupation, of at least a semblance of one: Pokemon Lore Researched
>>She had a place of origin and family in Celestic Town

Articalys

So is Boss the person in this community who's the biggest/most active Pokemon anime follower?
On the Champion topic, thinking about it, Cynthia was actually kinda a prototype for the development we'd see in the Gym Leaders for Gen V:

>She had a fully developed personality
>She had a life outside of Pokemon battling
>>She had an occupation, of at least a semblance of one: Pokemon Lore Researched
>>She had a place of origin and family in Celestic Town
To be fair, Steven sort of had some of these too in RS (stone collector, house on Mossdeep), though they got a lot more emphasized in ORAS, albeit the personality part moreso in Delta than the main story.

Also it feels like they just had a lot of fun writing Steven's character because of self-aware stuff like

Boss Doggie

I only follow XY anime news mind you.

Speaking of which has a series of fights -> Alain, Shota, Diantha and Wulfric. Also DOUBLE TEAM ASHNINJA

Wiseblade

So I guess I'm pretty serious about Pokkén, because I made plans to go to the UK Pokémon national championship to compete. I've been to plenty of fighting game tournaments of varying sizes and even Yu-gi-oh tournaments, but this is both at the same time.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So the answer to Pokémon twitter "Who's that Pokémon?" is
Electrode

I knew that I should have gone with an upside down Voltorb.

Moving to a 3D engine likely gave them trouble, and having to create 721 3D models (plus another ~100 alternate forms) along with all of their animations probably took a while as well. Story took a hit because of it.

Yeah, which is why I am kinda bummed that "Pokémon Z" is getting skipped over as I really wanted Kalos to have a chance in the spotlight and get the same treatment that Sinnoh and Unova got with Platinum and Black/White 2.

But alas it wasn't to be.

RIP Ash Ketchum died with his dream unfulfilled...what a loser.

this is the only time Pokemon anime embraced shonen tho

Wish they didn't as I just find it uninteresting, plus this whole Ash and Greninja fusion just reminds me of Digimon Tammers and just makes me think that Pokémon is getting close to jumping the Sharpedo.

Boss Doggie

RIP Ash Ketchum died with his dream unfulfilled...what a loser.

Wish they didn't as I just find it uninteresting, plus this whole Ash and Greninja fusion just reminds me of Digimon Tammers and just makes me think that Pokémon is getting close to jumping the Sharpedo.

you know all of your inquiries and mistakes would have been solved if you actually try to watch the show

i mean it was expected for ash to reach the limit of becoming one with greninja

all signs were pointing to it

though if its happening soon at least it would mean he would overcome it and we wouldn't see it happen in the league lol

Top Bottom