• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Menitta

Damn. I just realized I'm not going to be able to get the Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs Wifi missions because no more Nintendo Wifi. They were really cool, too. You capture Arceus in one! Thankfully, I have the ones on my Japanese copy and Shadows of Almia, but it's still a bummer.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's not a fusion

I meant fusion in the sense that Ash and Geninja's mind seemed to have become one.

It just reminds me of when Takato felt Growlmon's pain in Digimon Tamers.

xnBqEY2.jpg

I knew it was a trick question.

Yeah it was very misleading as the size was far too small to be a
Electrode

you know all of your inquiries and mistakes would have been solved if you actually try to watch the show

I have watched the show and I just don't click with it.

I'll still take a hyped battle like that over the travesties they pulled in Sinnoh and Unova.

Hey Sinnoh was great....until freaking Tobias pulled out his deus ex machina. Why writer why? ;_;

Unova one was crap though, I couldn't even stand to watch it.

Menitta

There's a lot of redeeming stuff in Unova like everything with Bianca and the episodes with Dawn and Cynthia. It was just surrounded by bad everything else.

Ash is a complete idiot, his team never reached its full potential, Iris is terrible, Trip was a terrible rival and felt like he should've rivaled May or Dawn and even at the end of the series when Ash beat him, it didn't feel like he learned at all like Gary or Paul.

I wish it was better.

Mr-Joker

Banned
S'called a 'sync'

That's the word that I was thinking of, but it kept slipping my mind.

There's a lot of redeeming stuff in Unova like everything with Bianca and the episodes with Dawn and Cynthia. It was just surrounded by bad everything else.

Ash is a complete idiot, his team never reached its full potential, Iris is terrible, Trip was a terrible rival and felt like he should've rivaled May or Dawn and even at the end of the series when Ash beat him, it didn't feel like he learned at all like Gary or Paul.

I wish it was better.

Unova had the potential to be great as I was really interested with the idea of Ash having reserve as his Sinnoh team could have benefit from that treatment.

If I was in charge of the team I would have.

-Plotted a plan of what Pokémon Ash will have, when he will rotate them and how they will grow.

-Replace Iris for Bianca and give her Tepig and Ash can have a Darumaka.

-Replace Ash's Unfezant for Braviary.

-Make Bianca the hyper active person excited about being on an adventure and have Ash act as a mentor, like how he did with May in Hoenn.

-Get rid of Trip in exchange for a better rival and maintain that rivalry for the whole season, say maybe Hilda as Ash hadn't had a female Rival since Johto.

-Introduce Hugh who ends up defeating Ash in the league.

-Adopt a slower pace and not that fast pace that the animé took which ended up biting them in the butt.

Honestly at first I thought the change to the Animé was due to the fact that Gen 5 was different from the norm as Black and White 2 was a sequel but it ultimately didn't matter as the animé didn't draw much from Black and White 2, plus Bianca and Iris role didn't change in the Animé.

Menitta

That's the word that I was thinking of, but it kept slipping my mind.

Unova had the potential to be great as I was really interested with the idea of Ash having reserve as his Sinnoh team could have benefit from that treatment.

If I was in charge of the team I would have.

-Plotted a plan of what Pokémon Ash will have, when he will rotate them and how they will grow.

-Replace Iris for Bianca and give her Tepig and Ash can have a Darumaka.

-Replace Ash's Unfezant for Braviary.

-Make Bianca the hyper active person excited about being on an adventure and have Ash act as a mentor, like how he did with May in Hoenn.

-Get rid of Trip in exchange for a better rival and maintain that rivalry for the whole season, say maybe Hilda as Ash hadn't had a female Rival since Johto.

-Introduce Hugh who ends up defeating Ash in the league.

-Adopt a slower pace and not that fast pace that the animé took which ended up biting them in the butt.

Honestly at first I thought the change to the Animé was due to the fact that Gen 5 was different from the norm as Black and White 2 was a sequel but it ultimately didn't matter as the animé didn't draw much from Black and White 2, plus Bianca and Iris role didn't change in the Animé.

Those are some really solid changes. One thing I'd do is have Hilda as the companion and just do the same thing as May/Dawn with Bianca as the rival. Either way works but right after having the edgelord, Paul, it would be nice to have a happier rival. I guess that was the purpose of Barry, but he wasn't the main rival.

The attempt of redoing the original series with a new generation doesn't work, especially when Ash has been on a journey for however long (not getting into age). In the first episode, he forgot how to catch a Pokemon. Like...what?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Be glad Hilda or Rosa wasn't in the BW anime. Do you want them to be ruined?

I have watched the show and I just don't click with it.

to his or hers I suppose, but honestly some comments don't make sense, like sure he has three flyers yet if you watched the show you'd see how despite being similar typing the three amigos fight differently

Menitta

Be glad Hilda or Rosa wasn't in the BW anime. Do you want them to be ruined?

to his or hers I suppose, but honestly some comments don't make sense, like sure he has three flyers yet if you watched the show you'd see how despite being similar typing the three amigos fight differently

The only thing they have to ruin of Hilda/Rosa is their design.

GoldStarz

And I agree. My point was that they don't even have a personality in the games because they aren't there. At least Hilda isn't.

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought what you were saying "the only thing you need to ruin Hilda and Rosa is to look at their designs" rather than that.

Articalys

FLRG Red, Emerald Brendan, Hilbert, and default Calem are good. Classic Red and both verisons of Ethan are okay, RS and ORAS Brendan and DP Lucas less so, and the less said about Platinum Lucas and Nate, the better.
On the female side, default Serena, RSE May, and Leaf are the best, Hilda's stupid jeans-shorts-things put her barely after them, then Dawn and ORAS May, then Rosa and Lyra, and nobody cares about Kris anymore.

JoeM86

There is also a popular internet theory that "Silver" in the Chronicles series is Ash's father. He more than likely isn't of course but I can see why people suspect him to be.

The shocked response when Richie mentions Ash is pretty unusual if not.

Yeah, agreed. Heck, I could see these being TCG art, too, with some backgrounds--they're that excellent.

On that note, I hate being the guy to be like "do my favorite Pokemon too!" but I would love to see a Slowbro in that style.

This is absolutely beautiful. Has a Noibat been done yet?

okok!

Blastoise please! for my colleccion

scribbly_pokemon_09_by_quarksney-d9zgjxc.png

lej3Bvh.png
SxqcuYG.png
IFTl4b4.png

Featuring idiotic peekaboo Slowbro and COME AT ME BRO Blastoise!

GoldStarz

Origins was just a quick nostalgia trip/cash-in and a way to announce that Charizard was getting a second Mega. If they do a second 'Origins':
A) Actually go all out and don't just make it skim the the game
B) Make it it's own thing, not some cheap tie-in to lure in the nostalgia crowd

I don't know why people act like Origins was some amazing thing just because it was slightly more brutal.

Daemul

Didn't Pokemon:The Origin bomb in Japan? I remember there being a whole lot of hoopla back then about how a Best Wishes special episode, not even a mainline episode, just an extra episode they did, beat it in the ratings, even though Origins had a primetime TV slot. So yeah, don't expect an Origin story for Ethan or for anyone else tbh.

Menitta

Origins was just a quick nostalgia trip/cash-in and a way to announce that Charizard was getting a second Mega. If they do a second 'Origins':

I don't know why people act like Origins was some amazing thing just because it was slightly more brutal.

It was a cool little series. I'd rather watch the XY series than Origins, but for what it was, it was entertaining. The final fight against Mewtwo was super hype.

They should make one for each game when a new gen is coming. Gen2 Origins before Sun and moon

Gen 4, fight Arceus.

It was far better than any of the series. Not only more brutal, but was more true to the source material.

The little details like Pokemon actually having wild cry instead of foolishly crying their own names just to get the kids knowing them quicker, and making sense of how Red beats Team Rocket is an heroic act.

And the Lavender Town Origins arc >>>>> Lavender tower arc in the original series.

XY is watchable but there is still to much filler in it. The best thing it does is making Team flare more interesting than in the game

GoldStarz

It was far better than any of the series. Not only more brutal, but was more true to the source material.
It was a rushjob and a cash-in. It was better than a lot of some of the anime but it was far from good and the anime had better parts. In the case of RBG, do you really wanna stick with the source material though? Because there's almost nothing there.

The little details like Pokemon actually having wild cry instead of foolishly crying their own names just to get the kids knowing them quicker, and making sense of how Red beats Team Rocket is an heroic act.
I'm pretty sure the cries being their names only in the English dub. Also, what the heck is the second part supposed to mean.

XY is watchable but there is still to much filler in it. The best thing it does is making Team flare more interesting than in the game
You'd prefer a version that has filler and is overstuffed over a version that literally skips over important parts of the 'story'
or as much of a story as RBG has
? We missed out on 6 of the gym battles and 3 of the E4 battles.

I still think the best Brendan is the Hat-Totally-Looks-Like-Hair Brendan. I want my white-haired young boy :3

I still think he has it, really, at least when I'm thinking about the original RS even though that's still a hat.

that's a silly argument

origins was made to be a 4 episode ova, it had a set episode count and time limit, so they had to work around with that, they knew what they had to show so they made cuts around that

xy is basically on the air almost every week with no end in sight, they probably only find out about the next gen about the same time as everyone else
you can't really plan out events too far ahead as you have no idea when you have to end the season in time for the release of the next set of games
i mean we have seen where they literally have filler arcs cause there was too much time left over to stretch out the rest of the region's plot

It was a rushjob and a cash-in. It was better than a lot of some of the anime but it was far from good and the anime had better parts. In the case of RBG, do you really wanna stick with the source material though? Because there's almost nothing there.

You'd prefer a version that has filler and is overstuffed over a version that literally skips over important parts of the 'story'
or as much of a story as RBG has
? We missed out on 6 of the gym battles and 3 of the E4 battles.

To be Fair, all the anime is a cash-grab. The only good stuff are the battles, but there is no good story.

BW is one of the best in game story, and the anime is baaaaad.

So yeah, I'd take RGB story but told in a good way like Origins did than any of the anime. They used practically every imoportant part of the story, and gave a summary of the rest, but everything was there.

Firestorm

how do you call a full four episode OVA to introduce something as small as a mega evolution a "quick cash-in"? what the shit

People liked Origins because it did invoke a good amount of nostalgia and was self-contained. I wish it was more fully-featured but it was definitely more entertaining about a 2000 episode cartoon with a plot that never feels like it's getting anywhere.

GoldStarz

To be Fair, all the anime is a cash-grab. The only good stuff are the battles, but there is no good story.
No, the anime is a tie-in that (is supposed to) produce money over time through marketing. Origins was a quick one and done that was used to catch the attention of nostalgia-ridden fans and turn their heads over to the new games.

BW is one of the best in game story, and the anime is baaaaad.
Yeah but everyone agrees that was the single worst season of the anime. And conversely the story in XY is bad, but the anime is doing a way better job handling that.

So yeah, I'd take RGB story but told in a good way like Origins did than any of the anime. They used practically every imoportant part of the story, and gave a summary of the rest, but everything was there.
It wasn't told in a good way though. The 'important parts' of RBG are the TR stuff and the gym/E4 stuff. They skipped a lot of BOTH of those. If you're going to make the rest a montage why not just have it all be like that after the intro stuff?

how do you call a full four episode OVA to introduce something as small as a mega evolution a "quick cash-in"? what the shit

People liked Origins because it did invoke a good amount of nostalgia and was self-contained. I wish it was more fully-featured but it was definitely more entertaining about a 2000 episode cartoon with a plot that never feels like it's getting anywhere.

it's not like ash didn't collect 8 badges multiple times
placed in multiple league tournaments
catch and raised multiple pokemon
have traveling companions discover their calling and/or placed in region's contests/idol showdowns
save the world a couple of times

i dunno what kind of plot are you even looking for in a pokemon anime considering its doing the whole a gang of friends having adventures in the pokemon world very well

Boss Doggie

lmao at the bolded part

no, Origins has the contrived shit the anime battles had, but at least the anime had no "follow the games" shit Origins was going for.

Also the fuck is "XY having fillers", pretty much all of the filler in XY could be counted in one or two hands tops.

Firestorm

it's not like ash didn't collect 8 badges multiple times
placed in multiple league tournaments
catch and raised multiple pokemon
have traveling companions discover their calling and/or placed in region's contests/idol showdowns
save the world a couple of times

i dunno what kind of plot are you even looking for in a pokemon anime considering its doing the whole a gang of friends having adventures in the pokemon world very well
That's sort of the thing. Much like the games, it's sort of a loop. You go through a region and do the badges and such, then you start again in the next. I did enjoy what I read of the Pokemon Adventures/Special manga where RBG -> Y -> GSC had a plot that built a bit upon previous events rather than doing one run, then power reset, then start again.

Boss Doggie

because that's literally what it is, hell the mega evolution alone was also Charizard pandering

also you're confusing "plot" with the "overall narrative", this is pretty much complaining as to why Doraemon hasn't changed the past

same with Tri

No, the anime is a tie-in that (is supposed to) produce money over time through marketing. Origins was a quick one and done that was used to catch the attention of nostalgia-ridden fans and turn their heads over to the new games.

Honestly, the two things you're saying are pretty much the same. The difference is that the Anime "tie-in" is a cash-grab to get kids generating money via marketing, toys, etc. while Origins was a way to get a lot of people, that had stoped playing the games, back.

Both are cash-in.

Yeah but everyone agrees that was the single worst season of the anime. And conversely the story in XY is bad, but the anime is doing a way better job handling that.

As I said, XY is at least watchable. There are good battles, and Team Flare isn't the throwaway team that they are in the game. Is the total opposite of Unova. But in 4 OVAS Origins already did that.

It wasn't told in a good way though. The 'important parts' of RBG are the TR stuff and the gym/E4 stuff. They skipped a lot of BOTH of those. If you're going to make the rest a montage why not just have it all be like that after the intro stuff?

They did that. And as another gaffer said, it's a 4 OVAS, they didn't have much time.

Most of gyms aren't that important anyway. The first and last were the most important, and they are there. Brock's Gym is the first real challenge you have, it's practically an initiation ritual in the game, and they showed that in Origins.

The 8th Gym is the Twist, the villian is also a Gym Leader, and a part of the story. And it's in Origins.

The rest aren't much important, none of the Gym leaders are a part of the story.

And Team Rocket? Lavender Town, Sliph S.A., 8th Gym... they're all there. Of course they cut stuff because of time, but the central parts are all there.

lmao at the bolded part

no, Origins has the contrived shit the anime battles had, but at least the anime had no "follow the games" shit Origins was going for.

Also the fuck is "XY having fillers", pretty much all of the filler in XY could be counted in one or two hands tops.

At least Origins didn't have Satoshi using thunderbolt for every fucking thing. In the Hoopa Movie he even tries to stop a Black Hole with it, lol, At the very least, in Origin when Red did something stupid like that they acknowledge it.

Boss Doggie

At least Origins didn't have Satoshi using thunderbolt for every fucking thing. In the Hoopa Movie he even tries to stop a Black Hole with it, lol, At the very least, in Origin when Red did something stupid like that they acknowledge it.

Consider how much powerful Thunderbolt is established, yes it's actually sensible to try that.

And you say that while Red spams Charizard and uses his other mons as fodder. Nice trainer there.

My problem with the condensing is that it pretty much destroys Red's skills. We are told rather than shown. In hindsight though it does reflect how much of a cakewalk the in-game gyms are and Red is a shitty trainer if he even had an ounce of having trouble.

And one cash-in doesn't make the other better. Hell I'd argue nostalgia-cash in is always far worse than your typical marketing because the former has a pretense of "come on guys we're holding your dear memories and we will pander to it!" shit.

GoldStarz

Honestly, the two things you're saying are pretty much the same. The difference is that the Anime "tie-in" is a cash-grab to get kids generating money via marketing, toys, etc. while Origins was a way to get a lot of people, that had stoped playing the games, back.

Both are cash-in.

Cash ins aren't cash grabs and cash grabs are quickly based on pressing time. In this case it's to reach into the pockets of the older audience and get them to buy the new game you're putting out.

As I said, XY is at least watchable. There are good battles, and Team Flare isn't the throwaway team that they are in the game. Is the total opposite of Unova. But in 4 OVAS Origins already did that.
Origins did what? The battles are terrible and Team Rocket is still the worst team with the vaguest goals.

They did that. And as another gaffer said, it's a 4 OVAS, they didn't have much time.

Most of gyms aren't that important anyway. The first and last were the most important, and they are there. Brock's Gym is the first real challenge you have, it's practically an initiation ritual in the game, and they showed that in Origins.

The 8th Gym is the Twist, the villian is also a Gym Leader, and a part of the story. And it's in Origins.

The rest aren't much important, none of the Gym leaders are a part of the story.

And Team Rocket? Lavender Town, Sliph S.A., 8th Gym... they're all there. Of course they cut stuff because of time, but the central parts are all there.
That's not my problem. Maybe if they wanted to make a cash grab they should've made a quality one and expanded it out with more episodes. Maybe even make a full season-long series out of it. Also, Brock's only REALLY challenging under the condition you're using the Char Line. Who's to say which gym is more challenging than the other. For me Surge and Sabrina's gyms are the most memorable and the toughest and to me the most important. What gyms are 'most important' is subjective.

You mean like how Red's solution is to sic a Charizard at it? He plays like a real 10 year-old. Put all your EXP into the cool dragon and then use the rest of your under-leveled team as fodder to do chip damage.

Top Bottom