• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
sun lion and moon rabbit sounds suspiciously like Digimon

Dub, I usually stick to subs, but the convenience of it being on Netflix has persuaded me to it.

If I was to switch to subs at some point what group do you recommend?

look for [pm], google pocket monsters subs, the one with edwardk on the website

WPS

sun lion and moon rabbit sounds suspiciously like Digimon

IIRC, there was a pair of digimon DS games that had such creatures as their mascots. I'll go look them up.

Which bit of the name gives away moon rabbit?

Edit: Yep, Digimon World Dusk and Dawn had a Sun Lion and a Moon Rabbit as their respective version exclusive starters.
latest
latest
latest

latest
latest
latest

I can't blame them though, Sun Lion and Moon Rabbit are pretty obvious concepts (heck, Pokémon already has a moon rabbit in Wigglytuff), and I'm sure they can come up with designs sufficiently distinct from existing takes on the concept.
Having the rabbit look like a rabbit would probably be enough deviation.

Boss Doggie

IIRC, there was a pair of digimon DS games that had such creatures as their mascots. I'll go look them up.

Which bit of the name gives away moon rabbit?

oh I know their names and when they starred, hence why I brought them :p

And I dunno, usually in Japan moon = rabbit because muh moon bunnies legend

could be worse, it could be a bamboo Pokemon

All right, I'll get the official art a--

j6jpDzM.png
hfkf9um.png

DUDE

You had an opportunity for a dog in a top hat and you DIDN'T TAKE IT

Rf9I9FF.gif

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to employ a little artistic license here. If I can't put it in a top hat, I'm at least making it as snooty as I can.

scribbly_pokemon_10_by_quarksney-d9zo5q9.png

gGX9VMn.png
vfdagZo.png
OpFif3X.png

Seriously though, this was a fun set.
thanks, looks great

Menitta

Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs is so fun. I wish they made another Ranger game. They're easily my favorite spin offs of any series.

GoldStarz

Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs is so fun. I wish they made another Ranger game. They're easily my favorite spin offs of any series.

I think the second game is the best one like with PMD, but there definitely wasn't as drastic a drop in quality like there was with that one haha. I wonder why there hasn't been a 4th PR game though. Did Guardian Signs perform poorly?

Menitta

I think the second game is the best one like with PMD, but there definitely wasn't as drastic a drop in quality like there was with that one haha. I wonder why there hasn't been a 4th PR game though. Did Guardian Signs perform poorly?

I think I agree with you. Shadows of Almia had more of a sense of adventure than Guardian Signs did. Especially since the game starts off with you in Ranger School. Guardian Signs didn't have that much progression and feel of adventure, but it's set-pieces (if that's the right word) were way better than Shadows of Almia. Riding the legendary dogs and the flying sections were really cool. They're both really good.

I don't know if Guardian Signs performed well or not. It got a 68 on Metacritic. After that game and the few episodes of DP, there hasn't been anything with a Pokemon Ranger since. It really bums me out, too. As a Boy Scout, I adore every single bit of the Pokemon Ranger stories.

Edit: It sold 360k during it's first month of release.

I think the main problem with a Ranger game on the 3DS is that the top screen is intended to be the main display- having the main graphical interface happening on the touch screen is a bit of a waste.

Same reason why we never got a Canvas Curse sequel on the 3DS, really.

StoneFox

If Moon having a rabbit legendary becomes true, there goes my hope of the next pikaclone being a rabbit. :/

I always look forward to the pikaclones of new generations. :3

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So the possible Water-type Starter name (it seems the Legendaries + Starters are gonna be revealed soon I'm guessing if the trademarks are legit) indicates it might be a sea lion...

So are we gonna have a sea lion turning into an otter this time?

Menitta

The second one is a quasi sequel to the first one so play them in order, and after you play them join me in the Waiting for Pokepark 3 train

I'm confusing Pokepark with Pokemon Rumble for some reason! Thanks for the recommendation! I'll pick that up when I can.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
PokePark 1 is basically a mini-game collection but 2 seems like a fun, basic 3D platformer---would love to play it but never got around to it, hope they add it to the Wii VC on the Wii U perhaps.

Boss Doggie

So the possible Water-type Starter name (it seems the Legendaries + Starters are gonna be revealed soon I'm guessing if the trademarks are legit) indicates it might be a sea lion...

So are we gonna have a sea lion turning into an otter this time?

technically speaking Samurott is still an otter, there is a subspecies called Giant Otter after all

GcnvmdP.jpg

Boss Doggie

Episode over. Really great!

While I am disappointed that Noivern got beaten, he was at a disadvantage vs. a Metang and he actually managed to pull a great fight.

Anyway the main pull

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT ASH MOMENT.
He was gaining momentum when suddenly he nearly dies! And then we see the OP where he sees Greninja leaving from his dream

also this

4Rt8X9n.jpg

They call the phenomenon Synchro.

Alan says he's not interested in the league, so there's that. Also everyone goes into training!

Next ep preview, as per tradition it's always Serena telling spoopy teaser. Also that Phantump is cute.

Boss Doggie

oh yeah pikachu got mad at Ash because he was never picked to fight this ep!

So what are the odds that White Phantump gets captured? Need that team of 6 thooo

none

also it's probably a bonnie ep

EDIT:

So in case you didn't know they always show an omake after the episode airs (Oak segments before, now currently PokeTV). In TVTokyo's original broadcasting though, they usually replace that with advertising for movies or features (today was advertising for the Pokemon Poll). However they keep the omake intended for the episode on reairings on other channels.

Today was Greninja's, and I wanna share because it was so hilarious! Credits to Adamant for sharing this in anime general.

Boss Doggie

Was wondering why people were posting Ash's scene towards the end of the episode with Setsuna (Gundam 00 protagonist), apparently Ash says I WILL BECOME GRENINJA, something similar to Setsuna's catchphrase (I AM GUNDAM).

How has he not with Pikachu?!

maybe Pikachu doesn't have satsui no hado

Boss Doggie

oh yeah he says I WILL BECOME GRENINJA when he does this thing

a75.gif

been a while since he did the hat twirl

Boss Doggie

wacnsq.gif

the pikachu scene I am referring to

I find it poignant too that this scene came out just a day ago talking about "Pikachu shilling" in this thread lol

Whoever took those screencaps really hates Bulbapedia, huh.

specifically one of its users stole screenshots and claimed he owned it and were then used on bulbapedia's site

I'm replaying Pokemon Black, and holy shit Chwren is annoying as fuck. Bianca is too, but somehow only slightly less so. Her dad drama can take a hike though.

Menitta

I'm replaying Pokemon Black, and holy shit Chwren is annoying as fuck. Bianca is too, but somehow only slightly less so. Her dad drama can take a hike though.

I don't remember a single thing about Cheren. I loved Bianca though. Her design was awesome and while she can be dramatic, she has a likable personality.

She was great in the anime though.
Not that the bar is high for Best Wishes

GoldStarz

If you think they're annoying I recommend you never replay B2W2 or X/Y.

or any pokemon game tbh bc they're easily the best rivals in the entire series lol

Articalys

specifically one of its users stole screenshots and claimed he owned it and were then used on bulbapedia's site
Wait, what's the story there? One of the people who runs the site stole... anime screenshots? That anybody could get by just screencapping a raw?

And on the topic of rivals, it's been so long since I played any of the older games that I hardly feel qualified to rank anything, but Bianca/Cheren definitely offered the most from a gameplay perspective in terms of combined number of rival battles, if not from a story one. And if you include N as a "rival" and not a recurring villain team member, then that's even more.

Menitta

Wait, what's the story there? One of the people who runs the site stole... anime screenshots? That anybody could get by just screencapping a raw?

And on the topic of rivals, it's been so long since I played any of the older games that I hardly feel qualified to rank anything, but Bianca/Cheren definitely offered the most from a gameplay perspective in terms of combined number of rival battles, if not from a story one. And if you include N as a "rival" and not a recurring villain team member, then that's even more.

I'd say N isn't the main rival of BW. He's still a rival, but he doesn't have a team that progresses like the other rivals. N is still a great character regardless.

Also, more reason as to why Best Wishes sucks: There was supposed to be a two-part episode with Team Plasma and Team Rocket having basically a war, and that didn't happen!

I'd say N isn't the main rival of BW. He's still a rival, but he doesn't have a team that progresses like the other rivals. N is still a great character regardless.

Also, more reason as to why Best Wishes sucks: There was supposed to be a two-part episode with Team Plasma and Team Rocket having basically a war, and that didn't happen!

you really can't blame x/y for not going forward with that especially why they basically shelved the entire plot point

i mean it was bad they could never really follow up on it or try and squeeze it back into the plot somehow and took until bw2 stuff to actually ever address Team Plasma again

Menitta

you really can't blame x/y for not going forward with that especially why they basically shelved the entire plot point

i mean it was bad they could never really follow up on it or try and squeeze it back into the plot somehow and took until bw2 stuff to actually ever address Team Plasma again

Wait, what are you talking about? You're bringing up X/Y, but I'm talking about the Black/White anime.

Boss Doggie

The battle today was hype as fuck!

it's not on a raw, it's from a different channel

basically you'd only get that if you have access to other stations (local channels) in Japan that re-airs the episode. The one guy who posts about it in bulbapedia is infamous for not only spewing lies, but not knowing Japanese that he says plenty of shit wrong, yet claims he knows what he is saying.

Top Bottom