• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

What should happen first, a remake of Diamond/Pearl or one of Gen 1 again?

They release [Adjective] Diamond and [Adjective] Pearl, the game starts the same way with Rowan and the Red Gyarados broadcast, but then the camera zooms out and Red/Leaf are just watching it on TV and it's actually yet another Gen 1 remake.

Menitta

They release [Adjective] Diamond and [Adjective] Pearl, the game starts the same way with Rowan and the Red Gyarados broadcast, but then the camera zooms out and Red/Leaf are just watching it on TV and it's actually yet another Gen 1 remake.

Only if it says "A Hideo Kojima Game" in the beginning.

GoldStarz

Fun fact: Oak's Japanese VA also voiced Armstrong.

Other well-known roles include Dojima from P4, Heihachi in Tekken, and Old Joseph in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

It always seems like VAs in Japan get around a lot more to me. Like I know Dawn's JP VA also voices Aqua from Kingdom Hearts and Junko Enoshima from DanganRonpa and that's just off the top of my head.

Menitta

Oh god. I'm at the Nimbasa Tournament episode. Every single character sucks.

Burgundy is so lame. Yeah, they made her lame on purpose, but why can't they make a...not lame character. Every time she opens her mouth, I think 'SHUT UP!!" She constantly says French words. I hated French in HS so that's extra negativity. She's meant to be Cilan's rival, but he's not having any of it.

Georgia reminds me of Zoey from DP, who was a great character, awesome design, and a fitting rival for Dawn. Georgia is none of these except maybe design. She just hates Iris because Iris is a dragon type trainer. They don't need to hate each other. Another character who sucks for no real reason.

I already talked about Trip.

Stephan is the most forgettable character of this list, which, I think, makes him the worst. His only deal is that people say his name wrong.

If they wanted to redo the original series, just bring Gary back. Say he's going to challenge the Unova League and decided to take a break from research.

I'm sorry I'm ranting so much in the community thread. I should probably stop watching Best Wishes. I hate it so much. I'll just rewatch DP again.

Oh god. I'm at the Nimbasa Tournament episode. Every single character sucks.

Burgundy is so lame. Yeah, they made her lame on purpose, but why can't they make a...not lame character. Every time she opens her mouth, I think 'SHUT UP!!" She constantly says French words. I hated French in HS so that's extra negativity. She's meant to be Cilan's rival, but he's not having any of it.

Georgia reminds me of Zoey from DP, who was a great character, awesome design, and a fitting rival for Dawn. Georgia is none of these except maybe design. She just hates Iris because Iris is a dragon type trainer. They don't need to hate each other. Another character who sucks for no real reason.

I already talked about Trip.

Stephan is the most forgettable character of this list, which, I think, makes him the worst. His only deal is that people say his name wrong.

If they wanted to redo the original series, just bring Gary back. Say he's going to challenge the Unova League and decided to take a break from research.

I'm sorry I'm ranting so much in the community thread. I should probably stop watching Best Wishes. I hate it so much. I'll just rewatch DP again.

oh how quickly you broke

Atheerios

So... There's a new tool that allows to access any Mystery Gift from the Nintendo servers, including past and future ones that are already stored. This is very interesting as someone could get a Genesect from this year's event already and it would be 100% legal, as it's the Pokémon extracted directly from the servers.

Menitta

So... There's a new tool that allows to access any Mystery Gift from the Nintendo servers, including past and future ones that are already stored. This is very interesting as someone could get a Genesect from this year's event already and it would be 100% legal, as it's the Pokémon extracted directly from the servers.

Does this include the ones for Platinum?

4OzB4Jr.gif

MANUELF

Banned
Tell me more

Hegarol

Can you link me to more information?

Can you link me to more information?

Maybe this?

Event files can be downloaded from the official server and the server can now be emulated which means attempting to get absolute proof for the legitimacy of event Pokemon (apart from local wireless) is now near impossible. Previously a picture of the downloading of the gift was sufficient. Now that isn't true.

Disappointed.

Does this include the ones for Platinum?

No. This tool is only for Gen 6. Other hacking tools allow you to get legal but hacked versions of the vast majority of Gen 4 events though.

Also files have been found for EU versions of the recent XYZ events for Japan and Korea so it is very likely that that event will be announced here soon.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man Menitta, hating on Trip I get but I have to say the other Rivals are actually one of the strong points of Best Wishes in my opinion---well, except for one who shows up by the League.

Also Stephan ends up totally redeeming himself in the next Tournament Arc with an awesome Pokemon who becomes his main.

Articalys

So make tans an in-game mechanic somehow, like a less sexy version of whatever they do in DOAX3.
Or just set the game in a non-tropical climate, like Sinnoh was.
This is why we can't have nice things
Maybe this?

Event files can be downloaded from the official server and the server can now be emulated which means attempting to get absolute proof for the legitimacy of event Pokemon (apart from local wireless) is now near impossible. Previously a picture of the downloading of the gift was sufficient. Now that isn't true.

Disappointed.

No. This tool is only for Gen 6. Other hacking tools allow you to get legal but hacked versions of the vast majority of Gen 4 events though.

Also files have been found for EU versions of the recent XYZ events for Japan and Korea so it is very likely that that event will be announced here soon.
So what are the wider ramifications of this, outside of people getting legit Pokemon earlier than others (and possible duplicates of them, I guess)?

So what are the wider ramifications of this, outside of people getting legit Pokemon earlier than others (and possible duplicates of them, I guess)?
1. PkHex is a thing that exists already.
2. Duping is a thing that exists already.
3. Downloading a JUN2015 GS Dragonite in 2016 does not make it legitimate. Surprise.

The blog post is interesting from a technical perspective, but there was nothing holding back people from just generating a mon that has stopped being distributed.

As Coltraine says these Pokemon are not Legitimate, only legal. Legitimate means that said Pokemon was generated by normal, intended means within the game whereas a legal Pokemon could but not necessarily had been generated legitimately. Pokemon generated through this method are therefore legal but hacked.

1. PkHex is a thing that exists already.
2. Duping is a thing that exists already.
3. Downloading a JUN2015 GS Dragonite in 2016 does not make it legitimate. Surprise.

The blog post is interesting from a technical perspective, but there was nothing holding back people from just generating a mon that has stopped being distributed.
Some communities did use unique picture proof of the downloading process to prove that it wasn't generated though. Obviously they still relied on trust that they were not edited or cloned but now even that proof is gone.

Articalys

I'll admit I guess part of the problem is that I've read that article top to bottom three times now and I still don't understand a damn thing about the technical details of what he's doing to coax the official server to cough up a Pokemon, or what the significance of that is, if any.

I'll just be honest and say I don't give a shit. I just want to be able to access some of the legendaries that are unavailable all the time for whatever reason.

Man Menitta, hating on Trip I get but I have to say the other Rivals are actually one of the strong points of Best Wishes in my opinion---well, except for one who shows up by the League.

Also Stephan ends up totally redeeming himself in the next Tournament Arc with an awesome Pokemon who becomes his main.

The rivals are indeed the best part of Best Wishes, but that's probably more of a reflection on BW than it is on them. Although Georgia and Burgundy are fun characters, Stephan's the only one that even threatens to be more than one-note.

Stephan is one of the best rivals in the series, though, I'll give you that one.
I really hope the latest "leaked" starters are real, but I know they're almost certainly not.

If the designs had come out before the alleged trademarks that might've been something, but as it is... nah.

I like the fire lion, mind.

Menitta

I liked the silhouette of the Moon box. If the legendary is an eagle or something like that, I'm totally down. I also like the idea of a fire bear, but it'd just be another fire/fighting type.

Watch Da Birdie

xOtJdZQ.jpg

These look fairly good, but I'm gonna agree with Serebii that the fact they try too hard to imitate the Unova Starter leaks makes me think they're not real...I've back a few leaks before, I was pro-Unova Starters, pro-Greninja/Hawlucha/Binacle, and I backed the Smash 4 leak of course but these don't really set off my "these might be real!" alarms.

Macka

I'm leaning fake on them. Something just feels...off about them. I can't imagine any of them looking right standing next to the other starters of their type. But that could just be me subconsciously trying to convince myself they aren't real.

They aren't bad though, and would have potential for cool evolutions.

GoldStarz

They look like top tier Fakemon to me, but I hope they're real because if they are this'll be a rare case where I like all the starters right off the bat.

I'd be fine with those if they were real, they look like they'd end up having some unique secondary starter types at the very least (flying, electric/rock/normal, ice?). Water one also reminds me of Kurusu so that's a nice bonus.
If they're fake (which they probably are), I'm always impressed at just how well people are mimicking the official style now compared to years ago.

Menitta

I don't like them. They look too fake if that makes sense. If they are real, the fire tiger needs to look something like Amaterasu. Also, I don't even know what the water one is.

CassSept

I might be proven wrong, but these totally look fake. Hard to nail what it is, but as posters above had said - something is 'off' about these pictures.

Probably not real - trying to copy the Wottergate pics is a red flag to me.

That said, we're like a month out from finding out anyway so whoever did it has the advantage that it'll be quickly forgotten if it is a fake.

If fake, I think it's pretty interesting that whoever made this went for the more crowd pleasing concepts.

We have a Fire type and Water type bird starter, so now it's a Grass bird.

Chinese Zodiac is a fan theory on Fire starter inspirations, so here is a tiger-like Fire starter.

I think a seal as a Water starter was a common idea among fans for awhile, but if it was a dolphin, then I'd be sure it was meant to be a crowd-pleaser.

Watch Da Birdie

They're meant to match up with the trademark names, and judging by those an owl, cat, and sea lion are what we're gonna get.

GoldStarz

I'd be fine with those if they were real, they look like they'd end up having some unique secondary starter types at the very least (flying, electric/rock/normal, ice?). Water one also reminds me of Kurusu so that's a nice bonus.
If they're fake (which they probably are), I'm always impressed at just how well people are mimicking the official style now compared to years ago.

The secondary typings for starters have been
  • Poison (Venusaur)
  • Flying (Charizard)
  • Dragon (mega only; Charizard, Sceptile)
  • Fighting (Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar, Chesnaught)
  • Ground (Swampert, Torterra)
  • Steel (Empoleon)
  • Psychic (Delphox)
  • Dark (Greninja)

Blastoise, the Gen 2 starters, non-mega Sceptile, and the Gen 5 starters (sans Emboar) are all Single-typed. There's a lot of interesting possibilities there tbh.

Combos that haven't been done or are exclusive to one line are:
  • Grass/Dragon
  • Grass/Electric
  • Grass/Fairy
  • Grass/Fire
  • Grass/Ground*
  • Grass/Ice
  • Grass/Normal
  • Grass/Rock
  • Grass/Steel
  • Grass/Water
  • Fire/Bug
  • Fire/Dark
  • Fire/Electric
  • Fire/Fairy
  • Fire/Ghost
  • Fire/Grass
  • Fire/Ice
  • Fire/Normal
  • Fire/Poison
  • Fire/Rock
  • Fire/Steel
  • Fire/Water
  • Water/Bug
  • Water/Fairy
  • Water/Fire
  • Water/Ghost
  • Water/Grass
  • Water/Normal
  • Water/Steel*

*indicates that the other exclusivity holder is a starter

So unless GameFreak pulls something really wild and out of character, the owl/bird isn't going to be unique. The only way I see the tiger going unique is if it's Fire/Electric or Fire/Normal. Can't really say anything for the seal though,

StoneFox

These look fake to me, the blurriness looks like a photoshop effect. They're all magically more blurry on the bottom than the top.

Macka

Yeah Fire/Electric would be awesome.

A Fire/Electric tiger's final form having the stripes changed to yellow bolts could be cool looking, if pretty obvious.

Seil

I thought they could only glide.

Flapping your wings and gaining altitude isn't gliding. Rather, I'd say they can't glide. Their bodies don't support it. The whole process isn't very smooth.

I know some chickens have been known to remain airborne for 10 seconds or a little more, and they're able to get over what I would consider a tall fence if they really want to. It's nothing impressive, but I'd certainly consider it flying, even if it's not good flying.

Edit: Apparently the longest recorded flight for a chicken is 13 seconds, clearing 300 feet.

Top Bottom