• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

MarkusRJR

For the legendary bird newletter, you just need to check off the box on your Pokémon account settings that says you're fine with getting promotional emails, right? I have it already checked but the last email I got from them was last year for the Hoopa announcement stuff.

All right, I'll get the official art a--

j6jpDzM.png
hfkf9um.png

DUDE

You had an opportunity for a dog in a top hat and you DIDN'T TAKE IT

Rf9I9FF.gif

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to employ a little artistic license here. If I can't put it in a top hat, I'm at least making it as snooty as I can.

scribbly_pokemon_10_by_quarksney-d9zo5q9.png

gGX9VMn.png
vfdagZo.png
OpFif3X.png

Seriously though, this was a fun set.
Haha, I'm the kind of person who would own a poodle and not get one of those typical weird hair cuts for it. Looks so good though, what program do you use? I'm trying to get into digital art.

Haha, I'm the kind of person who would own a poodle and not get one of those typical weird hair cuts for it. Looks so good though, what program do you use? I'm trying to get into digital art.

That's 'cause those weird cuts on real dogs usually just look weird.

They were all scribbled in Manga Studio 5. Specifically the smooth India Ink tool and the chalk tool at various densities.

Menitta

I don't care for the villains of Guardian Signs. Their motives are incredibly dumb, especially compared to Team Dim Sun. At least Dim Sun's goal was more in line with what a villain team of a mainline game does.

I hope Sun and Moon have Team Eclipse and they want to block out the sun or blow up the moon.

GoldStarz

I don't care for the villains of Guardian Signs. Their motives are incredibly dumb, especially compared to Team Dim Sun. At least Dim Sun's goal was more in line with what a villain team of a mainline game does.

I hope Sun and Moon have Team Eclipse and they want to block out the sun or blow up the moon.

Isn't the kinda contradictory though? All the mainline game villains wanted something to further their own power and goals but all doing either of those things does is make the planet uninhabitable.

Menitta

Isn't the kinda contradictory though? All the mainline game villains wanted something to further their own power and goals but all doing either of those things does is make the planet uninhabitable.

Yeah, but the villains of Guardian Signs spoilers
wanted eternal youth
. To me, that's pretty stupid compared to most other teams. With Dim Sun, they wanted all of the Pokemon in Almia to go nuts. You look at that and think "that's villainous."

Now, that being said, I'm thinking about Team Flare and they take the cake on stupidity.

All this boils down to is that I think the Pokemon Pinchers aren't cool.

GoldStarz

Yeah, but the villains of Guardian Signs spoilers
wanted eternal youth
. To me, that's pretty stupid compared to most other teams. With Dim Sun, they wanted all of the Pokemon in Almia to go nuts. You look at that and think "that's villainous."

Now, that being said, I'm thinking about Team Flare and they take the cake on stupidity.

All this boils down to is that I think the Pokemon Pinchers aren't cool.

Didn't Team Dim Sun want a clean power source
but their Leader ended up getting possessed/influenced by Darkrai
?

IDK, it's been a while. And yeah the Societea is honestly pretty small-scale given the damage they do.

Menitta

Didn't Team Dim Sun want a clean power source
but their Leader ended up getting possessed/influenced by Darkrai
?

IDK, it's been a while. And yeah the Societea is honestly pretty small-scale given the damage they do.

That's right. I forgot about that. Either way, it's still more interesting than Societea.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I can't even remember what Silver did.

-Stole a Starter from Elm.
-Stole Sneasel from a random NPC in Cianwood City
-Whine about Team Rocket
-Whine about being defeated by Lance.

Honestly while I like Silver he isn't fleshed out and the remake makes some attempt to flesh him out further the important event is locked behind an event.

to this day Rayquaza's "gumteeth" still bothers me

Doesn't bother me as Rayquaza feeds on water and particles in the atmosphere so it make sense that he doesn't have teeth.

Daemul

Blue and Silver never left much of an impression on me, they were just annoying to me as a kid and my friends and I always used to mock them and never took them seriously at all, especially Silver, all this guy did was whine like a toddler. I'm not sure about what some people see in these guys, they were inept as fuck. All they did was talk shit but then they would get destroyed in battles, which only made them look stupid. Shit talking is fine but when you can't back it up with actions it only makes you look a buffoon, which is these two are, fucking buffoons.

GameFreak moved away from this sort of rival for a reason, you can't have a rival smack talking when he/she always loses, all it does is make them the personification of the phrase "Chat shit, get banged", it's dumb and makes him/her look like a joke, its best just to stick to friendly rivals in this sort of series. I quite liked Cheren and Bianca, it was interesting watching them figure out what they wanted to do in life.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Blue and Silver never left much of an impression on me, they were just annoying to me as a kid and my friends and I always used to mock them and never took them seriously at all, especially Silver, all this guy did was whine like a toddler. I'm not sure about what some people see in these guys, they were inept as fuck. All they did was talk shit but then they would get destroyed in battles, which only made them look stupid. Shit talking is fine but when you can't back it up with actions it only makes you look a buffoon, which is these two are, fucking buffoons.

GameFreak moved away from this sort of rival for a reason, you can't have a rival smack talking when he/she always loses, all it does is make them the personification of the phrase "Chat shit, get banged", it's dumb and makes him/her look like a joke, its best just to stick to friendly rivals in this sort of series. I quite liked Cheren and Bianca, it was interesting watching them figure out what they wanted to do in life.

Personally I had always view the rival as being my equal who slowly grows along aside me as we travel on our adventure. Blue, Barry and Bianca all fit that role perfectly.

Cheren felt like a know it all snot but he soon learn that the answer is always clear and learnt to accept that.

Hugh had a personal mission and was so blinded by rage and despair that he froze in shock when he didn't get the result he wanted so I found him interesting.

Serena was interesting as it's rare to have a female rival and I just had big grind on my face when I saw Serena face palming saying "I really enjoy battling with you, but I'm getting tired of losing every time..." You could just feel the frustration especially when her parents seem to be big name trainers.

May really benefited from being fleshed out in the Hoenn remake and for the first time I actually enjoyed bumping into her and the scene of her and me walking home and battling on the same route where we first battle really highlighted that we both came a long way.

Silver had an interesting story but I felt that I got the bulk of the story from Pokémon Adventure than in the game itself.

Wally, I don't acknowledge him as a rival and just see him as a glorified Capture tutor, who is ultimately pointless as I had already caught Pokémon before meeting up with him. This feeling did not change in the remake.

Macka

I always assumed Rayquaza had lost those teeth over the centuries.

Re; Blue and Silver: They're still my favourite two rivals. That they are smug bastards is the main part of their appeal, and it made me want to wipe that smirk off their faces. The newer rivals are terrible because it feels like I'm just crushing some nice kids dreams constantly. Serena was the worst with this, she looked like she was going to have an emotional breakdown at one point for failing to understand what she was doing wrong. Give me more asshole rivals please.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I never got why people think dicks as rivals work, since you always tend to beat them up anyway. Like I guess it'd be better if you had a fight where you'll always lose.

I prefer the more spirited competitor type of rival. The one who always itches for a fight with you.

Then again people have a fascination for hate sinks so there we go. And the anime kinda colored Blue/Green to be like Gary, even though it only works in the anime but never in the games.

GoldStarz

I always assumed Rayquaza had lost those teeth over the centuries.

Re; Blue and Silver: They're still my favourite two rivals. That they are smug bastards is the main part of their appeal, and it made me want to wipe that smirk off their faces. The newer rivals are terrible because it feels like I'm just crushing some nice kids dreams constantly. Serena was the worst with this, she looked like she was going to have an emotional breakdown at one point for failing to understand what she was doing wrong. Give me more asshole rivals please.

See that's the thing. With the newer rivals that doesn't happen because they're more or less battling for fun. The worst being Cheren getting a little frustrated. The only real exception of Serena is really because she kinda is an asshole rival who thinks they'll automatically be the best in her friend group because she had some minor experience ahead of time.

All right, I'm done. The requests have run out for the moment and 34 scribbly Pokemon is enough, so this is a good place to cut it off. Don't ask for any more, because you're not getting them.

Man your Pokémon arts are awesome, may I ask you to do a Charizard for me?

Simply incredible! Your Pokémon arts are fantastic! Do you have a DeviantArt?

...and I must ask, could you draw a Totodile for me, please?

Here.

scribbly_pokemon_11_by_quarksney-da00mow.png

RB5P4KD.png
zM4nZ70.png

And then since I liked doing them in groups of three and I only had two, I drew myself a Litwick to practice Manga Studio's painting tools with.

litwick_by_quarksney-da00mx0.png

Once again, I'm done. Don't ask for any more Pokemon, because you're not getting them. :)

Serena, like a lot of the characters in X/Y are way better in the anime.
Unlike Best Wishes
I will never understand why Serena's anime portrayal is liked
unless you're a shipper.
She's dull, whiny, character-free and took far too long to get any sort of a point in the show.

Game Serena's overly-driven nature may be a little generic, but it's a thousand times more interesting than anything she's doing in the anime.

Been a solid few days of Shiny Hunting for me. Caught a Sewaddle on Thursday after a whopping 1001 DexNAV encounters, then followed that up with a Meditite in a Horde Encounter and a Lillipup this morning after 117 DexNAV encounters. Up to 46/721 in my Shiny Living Dex now!

Kaleo

Neo Member
All right, I'm done. The requests have run out for the moment and 34 scribbly Pokemon is enough, so this is a good place to cut it off. Don't ask for any more, because you're not getting them.

Here.

RB5P4KD.png
zM4nZ70.png

And then since I liked doing them in groups of three and I only had two, I drew myself a Litwick to practice Manga Studio's painting tools with.

Once again, I'm done. Don't ask for any more Pokemon, because you're not getting them. :)

YAY <3 I love this little croc since Pokémon GS... Thank you so much, it's beautiful! :D

I'll look your Deviantart when I'm home, later today :)

Macka

Been a solid few days of Shiny Hunting for me. Caught a Sewaddle on Thursday after a whopping 1001 DexNAV encounters, then followed that up with a Meditite in a Horde Encounter and a Lillipup this morning after 117 DexNAV encounters. Up to 46/721 in my Shiny Living Dex now!
/721? Are you getting the shiny cover legends and mythicals from previous games or skipping them?

Either way, good luck with this. It shouldn't actually be too hard until you start having to hatch eggs or soft reset for legends I guess. I still don't envy you though - I SR for three shiny legends from OR and two of them took a nightmarishly long time.

GoldStarz

I will never understand why Serena's anime portrayal is liked
unless you're a shipper.
She's dull, whiny, character-free and took far too long to get any sort of a point in the show.

Game Serena's overly-driven nature may be a little generic, but it's a thousand times more interesting than anything she's doing in the anime.
Never seen the anime but passively boring is always better actively terrible in my book

Menitta

Straight up, she has a more likable personality than in the games. I still like Dawn more, but Serena is definitely better than May. At least in my opinion.

/721? Are you getting the shiny cover legends and mythicals from previous games or skipping them?

Either way, good luck with this. It shouldn't actually be too hard until you start having to hatch eggs or soft reset for legends I guess. I still don't envy you though - I SR for three shiny legends from OR and two of them took a nightmarishly long time.

I'm going to try and get all the non-shiny locked legends. I'm not sure how many that is though is though so I just out 721. It's probably going to be a long project but ever since I completed the living Dex I've been itching for something new to do on the games collection wise.

Menitta

Starting up Best Wishes. This is going to suuuuck. Especially after watching XY.

Wish me luck! I'm not backing down.

Oh god I forgot the theme song was shit! HELP!!

Edit: Team Rocket looked awesome in black.

Edit 2: There she is! Not-Misty!

MANUELF

Banned
Starting up Best Wishes. This is going to suuuuck. Especially after watching XY.

Wish me luck! I'm not backing down.

Oh god I forgot the theme song was shit! HELP!!

Edit: Team Rocket looked awesome in black.
Hey you are not longer a junior member, congrats

Menitta

Hey you are not longer a junior member, congrats

You're right! Thanks! When did that happen?

Edit: Ugh...Trip. You know what really sucks about Trip? He's nice to everyone except Ash. And for no real reason! Gary at least had a history with him. Trip literally meets him and instantly decides to be an ass.

Edit 2: Oh good...Ash forgets how to catch a Pokemon.

Edit 3: Then there's the Sandile who tried to be the Squirtle Squad.

Edit 4: Ya know what? Im gonna Backdown. I'm just gonna watch every episode with Bianca, Cynthia, and Dawn along with the last 3.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Good New everyone!!! I finished Twilight Princess HD!!!!! :D :D

So I can continue my Pokémon run of the main series by starting Pokémon Silver. :D :D

Here.

RB5P4KD.png
zM4nZ70.png

Man that Charizard looks cools.

Edit: Ugh...Trip. You know what really sucks about Trip? He's nice to everyone except Ash. And for no real reason! Gary at least had a history with him. Trip literally meets him and instantly decides to be an ass.

Trip is just racist towards people who aren't from Unova.

Articalys

You know what I just realized? Every single player character has always had a hat or some kind of headgear, and every rival (except NPC Brendan/May and Bianca, who aren't even your sole rivals in their games) has no headgear. This is especially noticeable in XY, where you can't remove your hat item, even though you can remove the accessory, but NPC Calem/Serena go hatless.

We need to start a campaign for the PCs in Sun/Moon to have no hats, or if customizing returns, the ability to remove them.

Menitta

You know what I just realized? Every single player character has always had a hat or some kind of headgear, and every rival (except NPC Brendan/May and Bianca, who aren't even your sole rivals in their games) has no headgear. This is especially noticeable in XY, where you can't remove your hat item, even though you can remove the accessory, but NPC Calem/Serena go hatless.

We need to start a campaign for the PCs in Sun/Moon to have no hats, or if customizing returns, the ability to remove them.

Nah, I like the hats. Since you're outside 90% of the time, it only makes sense to wear a hat.

Top Bottom