• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

GoldStarz

So the conclusion we can draw from this is that the ability to glide is still grounds to make a Pokemon a flying type, but the ability to fly or glide still doesn't mean that a Pokemon HAS to be one.

Articalys

Then you also have Sky Battle eligibility rules, where Flying-type Pokemon have to actually be flying in their battle animation or they don't count.

Then you also have Sky Battle eligibility rules, where Flying-type Pokemon have to actually be flying in their battle animation or they don't count.

p32yWLC.png

GoldStarz

I'm still pissed certain Pokemon didn't get alternate models for that shit because now we're stuck with those models for a while and Flying Battles are going to get put in the garbage where they belong.
Why didn't they make Inverse Battlers a Trainer Class? Those were much better ideas.

I think Garchomp is a bit of a stretch tbh, but like yeah

Seil

See I know of those Dex entires, but I always saw it doing that on the ground like "That car is flying as fast as a Jet Plane" rather than "That bird is flying as fast as a jet plane"

The anime's taken it literally, I believe on multiple occasions. I'm going to hope that's because it's more clear in the Japanese entries.

Edit: Also the PAL Smash Bros trophy description apparently says the following:

Smash said:
There's something about Garchomp that appeals to the kid in all of us. It's basically a mach-speed flying dinosaur with spikes. What's not to love? When it folds up its body and extends its wings for flight, you might mistake it for a jet plane. And with a little Garchompite, it can Mega Evolve for extra firepower!

jnWake

I hated those Sky Battles so much. I was like "Oh sure my Vivillion can handle it" and then BAM Rotom and I was like "Fuck". I wiped against almost all those trainers haha.

I liked the silhouette of the Moon box. If the legendary is an eagle or something like that, I'm totally down. I also like the idea of a fire bear, but it'd just be another fire/fighting type.

Wait, was there a better scan? I can't make anything out on the one on Serebii.

Seil

Which Pokedex entry said that Machamp's belt can be taken off and basically remove limiters?

None of them, that's Machoke =p

Edit: Also, for the record, I'm pretty sure the whole "belt isn't actually a belt" thing is incorrect translation. I think they were just talking about the black briefs/shorts/whatever beneath the belt being part of its body, not the belt. But I don't understand enough Japanese to confirm that myself.

Atheerios

Does this include the ones for Platinum?

Tell me more

Can you link me to more information?

Here's the link to the tool. You need homebrew access https://mys.salthax.org/

1. PkHex is a thing that exists already.
2. Duping is a thing that exists already.
3. Downloading a JUN2015 GS Dragonite in 2016 does not make it legitimate. Surprise.

The blog post is interesting from a technical perspective, but there was nothing holding back people from just generating a mon that has stopped being distributed.

The thing is that this will allow to get legal Pokémon early. Before this we had no way to know the SID of future events (and thus be able to generate a full legal unreleased Pokémon).

Yes, they are not legit, but nobody cares, there's just no way to tell if a Pokémon is legit or not.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I started my playthrough of Pokémon Silver, man I love this game and I am noticing how Game Freak pretty much expanded and added more layers of the Pokémon worlds.

Like for example I didn't know that the books in Mr. Pokémon house were foreign and along with foreign money on the desk led me to suspect that Mr. Pokémon might not be from Johto or at least well traveled, I am guessing the latter.

Anyway I am currently at Violet City and my team currently are;

Char my Charmander, Vee my Eevee, Utso my Bellsprout and Phan my Phanpy.

Also I lost to Silver on the first battle. ¬_¬;

I doubt that Sky Battle will return in future series considering how no-one was exactly raving about them.

I'm still pissed certain Pokemon didn't get alternate models for that shit because now we're stuck with those models for a while and Flying Battles are going to get put in the garbage where they belong.
Why didn't they make Inverse Battlers a Trainer Class? Those were much better ideas.

Yeah, some flying Pokémon like Swellow just look odd being a gliding pose when they're clearly aren't flying at all. Plus Xatu's totem pole design loses impact due Xatu being in a flying pose.

I am just glad that Charizard didn't get messed up in the flying pose, though they messed up his updated cry.

Seil

The player characters in B/W were designed as 14 year olds.

I don't think ages were ever said, just that they weren't "Children". I always assumed 16.

15/16 actually.

Yeah, they were designed around 16, but at some point they were officially confirmed to be 14, allegedly.

Edit: There's supposed to be an interview where it was stated as 14, but I dunno where it's at. Either way, they're not 10 and that misconception needs to die lol.

Articalys

The thing is that this will allow to get legal Pokémon early. Before this we had no way to know the SID of future events (and thus be able to generate a full legal unreleased Pokémon).

Yes, they are not legit, but nobody cares, there's just no way to tell if a Pokémon is legit or not.
But to Coltraine's point, and by your admission, isn't there no practical differentiation between a player-generated Genesect with all the right data/flags set, and one generated by obtaining the key from the Nintendo server in whatever manner? Or am I not understanding how Mystery Gift works? Wouldn't that just make this a "because I can" thing for people with homebrewed 3DSes?

Daemul

Yeah, they were designed around 16, but at some point they were officially confirmed to be 14, allegedly.

Edit: There's supposed to be an interview where it was stated as 14, but I dunno where it's at. Either way, they're not 10 and that misconception needs to die lol.

It has always been a misconception among many fans in the west because most western fans first experience of Pokemon was the anime, so the idea that all trainers get their Pokemon at 10 got implanted in their heads, even though it's something that has never existed in the games at all.

In the games the protagonists range from 11 to around 17, with Red/Leaf being the youngest and Calem/Serena being the oldest, so the protagonists pretty much get older with every generation, and if the speculation gleaned from the concept art is true then the Sun/Moon protagonists may actually be driving, which would be a godsend, because fuck rollerblades.

Menitta

They haven't, but Emma, from the XY postgame, is 16 and younger than our protagonists, so...

A part of me wants them to treat protagonists' ages like the location of Springfield in the Simpsons. Have it so that nobody can find out. They're already doing that with Ash in a way.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Just realised that this week is the last week of April, so not long till we get some potential news about Pokémon Sun and Moon. :D :D

If the mon has yet to be released, then it would be obvious that it wasn't legit, because the event wouldn't be active yet and no one would have it. If it was gotten during the event, it doesn't matter since people will be getting it legit or duping ones already gotten. If after, then it's a moot point since you could always dupe event mons from past gens for years. If the event is never released, then it's akin to constructing something out of someone's sketchbook of unfinished ideas and would be no better than hacking together your own mon.

Ultimately, if you want something legit you get it yourself. If you get it from someone else, then you'll just have to trust them. There are too many ways to construct literally any mon from any time to worry about one more method on the pile, and it's not like the scene is any stranger to finding out info ahead of time (see: literally every single mainline game release after launch).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The starters look too "fakemon"-y in design

the tell-tale signs is that they somehow miss the standard pokemon designs and instead go for stereotypes

GoldStarz

The starters look too "fakemon"-y in design

the tell-tale signs is that they somehow miss the standard pokemon designs and instead go for stereotypes

Either you're talking about the ones that were posted in reference of being Fakemon or the ones that were revealed to have been owned up by their owner. So yeah.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I was playing Pokémon Silver and I forgot to catch Mareep before hatching my Remoraid egg. >_<;

Ah well it all worked out in the end as Remoraid didn't take long to catch up in levels leaving Mareep free to catch up as I want Thundershock before the second rival fight.

I like this new set of almost definitely fake starters even more than the last:

DI5Ctqg.jpg

Okay, so the cat is a lot worse, but that owl is awesome. And puppy seal is so gooood!

I am just looking at that and I am wondering have people actually studied how Game Freak designed their starters and I mean really studied them?

Every starter look unique and carefully designed so that they don't too different when the evolve but they also don't stand out among the group of the starters.

That picture just looks like three random Pokémon, with the Seal being the worst, grouped together and the artist saying look at my fake starter.

There's a good reason why the Starters are the last Pokémon that Game Freak design as a lot of effort and work goes into them.

GoldStarz

I am just looking at that and I am wondering have people actually studied how Game Freak designed their starters and I mean really studied them?

Every starter look unique and carefully designed so that they don't too different when the evolve but they also don't stand out among the group of the starters.

That picture just looks like three random Pokémon, with the Seal being the worst, grouped together and the artist saying look at my fake starter.

There's a good reason why the Starters are the last Pokémon that Game Freak design as a lot of effort and work goes into them.

Where was it said that the starters are always the last Pokemon design because that sounds really suspect to me. To be honest, I disagree with your assertions that starter are especially special and I think this batch could easily pass for real, although I agree that they aren't

Mr-Joker

Banned
Where was it said that the starters are always the last Pokemon design because that sounds really suspect to me. To be honest, I disagree with your assertions that starter are especially special and I think this batch could easily pass for real, although I agree that they aren't

How long does it typically take for a Pokemon to go from a concept drawing to being in the actual game?

Masuda: The first thing I do is determine what direction we want to go in with the character. We look at the concept and determine is this a strong character? Is this an evolution of a current Pokemon? Is it a legendary Pokemon or a more basic one? The fastest ones take around six months, but the ones that play important roles in the game, like the starter Pokemon, they take more than a year.

Source

Basically the starter are designed in group as they all fit a theme, which is reflected in their secondary typing, stats and move pool so they can not feel out of place. They are also very simple in design so that the player straight away can tell what type they are which is why they are all single type till they evolve, barring Bulbasaur who is abnormally.

With that fan art they don't pass as real starter as the fire cat looks more like an early wild Pokémon, the seal looks like a deformed Fennekin the grass bird doesn't give any impression that its' a grass type other than its head being green.

Nightbird

I just remembered that this whole thing will be done in two weeks
Where we then move on to phase to of fakemons (evolutions and regional Pokémon)

Macka

I just remembered that this whole thing will be done in two weeks
Where we then move on to phase to of fakemons (evolutions and regional Pokémon)
Has it been confirmed we're getting starters? CoroCoro just said there would be info in the next issue, nothing specific. The only thing I'd say we're definitely getting is cover legends from the boxart.

Menitta

I can't imagine we wouldn't. At least by E3. The starters silhouettes for X/Y were revealed before E3 and were fully revealed at E3, IIRC.

Seil

I can't imagine we wouldn't. At least by E3. The starters silhouettes for X/Y were revealed before E3 and were fully revealed at E3, IIRC.

XY had the starters as part of its official announcement/reveal. XY's reveal trailer is why so many of us have been bummed by how S&M has been handled x.x

I think BW had the silhouettes.

Edit: Here's the XY announcement. Yeah... We had that in January that year.

GoldStarz

Source

Basically the starter are designed in group as they all fit a theme, which is reflected in their secondary typing, stats and move pool so they can not feel out of place. They are also very simple in design so that the player straight away can tell what type they are which is why they are all single type till they evolve, barring Bulbasaur who is abnormally.

With that fan art they don't pass as real starter as the fire cat looks more like an early wild Pokémon, the seal looks like a deformed Fennekin the grass bird doesn't give any impression that its' a grass type other than its head being green.

That says that they take longer, not that they're designed last. That said, I do see you point about the owl, but disagree with you about how they correspond as a group. Often times the shared theme between starters isn't immediately apparent like the RPG elements of Gen VI's starters not really coming in until their second stages.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Has it been confirmed we're getting starters? CoroCoro just said there would be info in the next issue, nothing specific. The only thing I'd say we're definitely getting is cover legends from the boxart.

Starters are one of the first Pokémon to get shown off as they will be the first Pokémon that the players pick so I am expecting them to unveiled the starters to get people excited about what their evolution will be, secondary type they may have, what move set as people go back and forth on what starter they should pick.

Heck when X and Y was leak the biggest focus was finding out what the starters final evolution looked like.

That says that they take longer, not that they're designed last. That said, I do see you point about the owl, but disagree with you about how they correspond as a group. Often times the shared theme between starters isn't immediately apparent like the RPG elements of Gen VI's starters not really coming in until their second stages.

g6-starters.jpg

You can see that with the gen 6 starter the theme that Game Freak was going with.

I have no doubt in my mind that the starters are most likely designed together to fit a theme.

Menitta

I'm really glad we didn't get the silhouettes. It always leads to disappointment. We have nothing to base speculation on and that's awesome.

Articalys

Of all the possible things to waste my luck on and randomly catch as a shiny, it had to be a Ledyba from one of the berry trees I'm farming in XY.

I mean, it's orange instead of red. Hardly impressive.

Seil

Of all the possible things to waste my luck on and randomly catch as a shiny, it had to be a Ledyba from one of the berry trees I'm farming in XY.

One of my first, if not my first, wild shinies in XY was a Weedle. It's a brighter yellow. And it's a Weedle lol.

Menitta

Last one I caught was a Geodude in Platinum. I wasn't even looking for one, so I'm not complaining. I once hunted down a shiny Eevee to get a shiny Umbreon.

Umbreon is so cool. Favorite Pokemon.

Top Bottom