• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Huh, upcoming episode title in japan just revealed mentions evolution. Wonder if that means it'll be about Synchro Greninja, random mega evolution lore, or even a main cast pokemon evolving.

frogg609

So I am debating on picking up Red, Blue, and Yellow on the 3DS (never played them originally as I never had a Gameboy.)

I do have 2 3ds systems. Would it be best to load my Nintendo id on both, then play the games on the different systems to try and get all the pokemon, then send them to the Pokemon Bank?

Also, how is the new Pokemon Tournament on the Wii7?

My 3DS code is 0301-9787-5351 if you want to add me.

Menitta

So I am debating on picking up Red, Blue, and Yellow on the 3DS (never played them originally as I never had a Gameboy.)

I do have 2 3ds systems. Would it be best to load my Nintendo id on both, then play the games on the different systems to try and get all the pokemon, then send them to the Pokemon Bank?

Just trade pokemon between the two to get all 151 on your main 3DS and then put them all into Pokemon bank. I don't know how that account system works, but you should be able to do that.

As for Pokken, it's fantastic. It's my personal dream game.

On another anime related topic, apparently in the upcoming Diantha episode
Ash actually corners Diantha with Ash-Greninja and forces her to mega evolve
according to an episode preview

Seil

Unfortunately, you can only use a NNID on a single 3DS system at once. So the only way to accomplish this would be buy the different versions on different 3DS's, only one(or two if we're talking three versions) of which would be linked to your primary NNID =/

But if you just want them to transfer up through Bank in the future, you could do all three on a single console. You just wouldn't be able to trade stuff between the VC games.

frogg609

Unfortunately, you can only use a NNID on a single 3DS system at once. So the only way to accomplish this would be buy the different versions on different 3DS's, only one(or two if we're talking three versions) of which would be linked to your primary NNID =/

But if you just want them to transfer up through Bank in the future, you could do all three on a single console. You just wouldn't be able to trade stuff between the VC games.

Good to know. Thanks!

frogg609

One other question. I'm finally playibpng Alpha Sapphire (about 11 hours in). Should i pick up Omega Ruby as well? Is terecenough of a difference in the story arc? Enough different pokemon between the two?

I'm strongly inclined to get it but wanted to ask and see what I will get out of it first.

One other question. I'm finally playibpng Alpha Sapphire (about 11 hours in). Should i pick up Omega Ruby as well? Is terecenough of a difference in the story arc? Enough different pokemon between the two?

I'm strongly inclined to get it but wanted to ask and see what I will get out of it first.

No and no. The reason for two versions is purely to promote trading as there are 22 Pokemon exclusive per game (which you can quite easily trade for). There are a few story changes but they are minor.

Seil

The following are the only real reasons to own both OR and AS:

OR: Ho-Oh, Groudon, Palkia, Tornadus, Reshiram
AS: Lugia, Kyogre, Dialga, Thundurus, Zekrom

Note that Giratina, Kyurem and Landorus require you have the other two members of their trios to encounter. All of the above Pokemon can be shiny here, including the previously shiny locked Reshiram and Zekrom.

These are really the only major differences between the games, as all other Pokemon are exceptionally easy to trade for and there are no version exclusive mega stones in ORAS, unlike XY.

Edit: Note, I am an owner of X, Y, OR and AS lol. And even those wouldn't be too hard to trade for if you just want the Pokemon itself, really. But if you want to catch your own competitive legendaries, or hunt for shinies...

Edit2: I guess there's also the Southern Island Latias/Latios. While you only need one game plus an eon ticket to get both of them, if you want to catch them in a particular ball you'd need both versions with eon tickets, since one is just gifted to you in each game.

It's funny you say that as the moment I first saw Fennekin I was like yep she's going to be Fire/Psychic due to her graceful look and being based on a Fox.

But Ninetales... =(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's funny you say that as the moment I first saw Fennekin I was like yep she's going to be Fire/Psychic due to her graceful look and being based on a Fox.

now that I think about it all of the foxes in this game are mystical

yet for some odd reason Ninetales line didn't have the secondary typing

Menitta

So...I must have missed this episode of XY when I first watched it...but Ash just stole Ash's Pikachu...

WHAT

Edit: Wow that episode is weird. I love it.

flonty

Soooo
I tried to breed a perfect 6IV Whismur out of 2 perfect 5IV Whismurs.
The male was missing the speed IV and the female was missing the SpD IV.
After hours of breeding and hatching many baby whismurs, none of them had more than 4 perfect IVs. I also gave one parent the destiny knot but still, only 4IV pokemon...
So is RNG really that much of a bitch in this?

WPS

Soooo
I tried to breed a perfect 6IV Whismur out of 2 perfect 5IV Whismurs.
The male was missing the speed IV and the female was missing the SpD IV.
After hours of breeding and hatching many baby whismurs, none of them had more than 4 perfect IVs. I also gave one parent the destiny knot but still, only 4IV pokemon...
So is RNG really that much of a bitch in this?

Yeah, if the RNG doesn't want you to have something, you don't get it. I've had breeding attempts fill boxes just to get a 1/8 female starter, and then have it throw me a 5IV one almost immediately after.

For the record, your chance should be roughly 2/6 * 1/32 * 1/2 + 4/6 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/32 = 1/96 of a 6IV but 1/6 of another 5IV.

flonty

Yeah, if the RNG doesn't want you to have something, you don't get it. I've had breeding attempts fill boxes just to get a 1/8 female starter, and then have it throw me a 5IV one almost immediately after.

For the record, your chance should be roughly 2/6 * 1/32 * 1/2 + 4/6 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/32 = 1/96 of a 6IV but 1/6 of another 5IV.

Yeah I just checked an IV/breeding calculator and this is what it told me.
Breeding parents 31/31/31/31/31/x and 31/31/31/31/x/31
will produce a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Pokemon 1.0417% of the time or 1 out of every 96 eggs!

Guess I'll have to just continue :/

WPS

Yeah I just checked an IV/breeding calculator and this is what it told me.
Breeding parents 31/31/31/31/31/x and 31/31/31/31/x/31
will produce a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Pokemon 1.0417% of the time or 1 out of every 96 eggs!

Guess I'll have to just continue :/

Why not just settle for 5IVs? Whismur doesn't really run mixed attacking sets that often and a high attack IV is actually a mild disadvantage to a special attacker.

Why not just settle for 5IVs? Whismur doesn't really run mixed attacking sets that often and a high attack IV is actually a mild disadvantage to a special attacker.

yeah, only mixed attackers need 31 across the board, and those are exceedingly rare. It's actually harder to get trick room mon or specific hidden powers, since getting a zero or a specific non 31 IV is actually harder than a 31 IV nowadays

GoldStarz

Is Heracross a day encounter in Pokémon Silver, been running into Spearow and Aipom but not yielding any Heracross.

Should have been Fire/Psychic but I guess Game Freak did that to keep the pairing with Arcanine.

Eh, there are exclusive Pokes without direct type correlation so I doubt it.

flonty

Yea I will settle for the 5IVs. I'm actually breeding whismur because of his egg group.

Seil

Getting 6 IVs is pointless for breeding purposes, since destiny knot only lets 5 pass on max from the parents

Not really pointless when being used for breeding. Two 6IV parents guarantee you'll get a 5IV offspring, while two 5IV parents only guarantee 4IV offspring.

Edit: To make my point more clear. Two 6IV parents will have the same chance of giving a 31/31/31/X/31/31 offspring as two 5IV parents with that stat distribution. A single 6 IV with a 5IV of the desired stat spread also has the same chance. However, two 5IVs with differing spreads have a lower chance. So having a single 6 IV can help you out. Though most of us just use a Ditto for that.

Edit2: Basically, a single 6IV can replace a 5IV of any desired spread in breeding, this is useful for breeding other things within the egg group, but a Ditto's going to be optimal.

Cranster

Banned
Myself and a bunch of other friends got ourselves banned from the library computer in Grade 6 or 7 because we printed out alot of those exact photos to draw/trace. One day a friend of mine snuck into the library during lunch hour and the vice principle was then carrying over 200 of the printed photos around the schoolyard trying to find out who did it.

Those were some good times.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Guys I am gonna have to set Johto on fire just I can get Heracross.

Started hunting for it at 18:30 and it's 22:54 and I have not found him once. >:|

Mr-Joker

Banned
Are you headbutting trees or looking in the grass? I believe he only appears on the trees

Headbutting tree but I found one but I killed it due to a stray critical hit and then to add salt to my wounds Joey decided to call and brag about his Rattata...I am gonna kill Joey, his Rattata and burn the whole of Johto to the ground.

MANUELF

Banned
Headbutting tree but I found one but I killed it due to a stray critical hit and then to add salt to my wounds Joey decided to call and brag about his Rattata...I am gonna kill Joey, his Rattata and burn the whole of Johto to the ground.

Try in Azealia Town

Mr-Joker

Banned
Finally I caught a Heracross and what a tale do I have to tell you.

I began my search by headbutting the trees on Route 33 but I kept getting Spearow and Aipom.

After about hours of headbutting trees and not yielding one I decided to move to Route 32 and try the trees near the Union Cave.

ChACNx-WkAIZR9l.jpg

Lo and behold I find one and begin the process of lowering his health but...

ChADHuaWkAIgZ3n.jpg

Utsu got a crit with cut and KO the Heracross and the worse part was this...

ChADiBMWUAEeKHX.jpg

JOEY!!!!!! >:|

So I tried again ran into another one and began the process of lowering its health when this happened...

ChAINYnW0AEgGwQ.jpg

I was not expecting that, though I guess Utsu really scared him with his cut.

So I tried again but again

ChAINYnW0AEgGwQ.jpg

and again

ChAINYnW0AEgGwQ.jpg

and again it kept running away. ¬_¬;

ChAINYnW0AEgGwQ.jpg

But in the end I kept trying and...

ChAM4_qWMAAJTzG.jpg

I caught the damn thing. <(^_^)>

ChAN0q2W4AAwlWu.jpg

I nicknamed him Hera and man look at that Attack and defense stat he's gonna be a big help against Whitney. >:D

GoldStarz

Jirachi needs better lore integration. It's just kinda there and a Legendary should never be "just kinda there" especially a Mythical.

Seil

Jirachi needs better lore integration. It's just kinda there and a Legendary should never be "just kinda there" especially a Mythical.

Eh? At most, at least in the games, the 600 BST mythicals tend to have a tiny mention in a book or something. Mew, bit of lore on Cinnabar. I don't recall Celebi being mentioned at all, outside of the GS Ball event with the shrine, which we didn't get. Manaphy got the picture in the book in Platinum. I don't think Shaymin got anything until Platinum thanks to the Gracidea Flower... Victini of course got the lighthouse event.

Yeah, Jirachi is just kind of there, but the others aren't much better, and Manaphy and Shaymin were just there until Platinum. Granted Manaphy at least was earned via the Ranger games.

GoldStarz

Eh? At most, at least in the games, the 600 BST mythicals tend to have a tiny mention in a book or something. Mew, bit of lore on Cinnabar. I don't recall Celebi being mentioned at all, outside of the GS Ball event with the shrine, which we didn't get. Manaphy got the picture in the book in Platinum. I don't think Shaymin got anything until Platinum thanks to the Gracidea Flower... Victini of course got the lighthouse event.

Yeah, Jirachi is just kind of there, but the others aren't much better, and Manaphy and Shaymin were just there until Platinum. Granted Manaphy at least was earned via the Ranger games.
I consider those pretty satisfactory outside of Manaphy (but that has a whole thing in the Pokemon Ranger spin-off so I can forgive it a bit), Mew has it's whole story in the Pokemon Mansion and Mewtwo; Celebi has it's shrine and in HGSS is revised to have a whole little event subplot, Shaymin has an entire area and NPC dedicated to it, and yeah Vicitini has the Lighthouse event, but I can't think of anything going for Jirachi. It was just a bonus included with Colosseum that you could transfer over.

So Pokemon XY managed to sell another 250k from January 1st to March 31st. Kinda weird that it's still selling at an okay pace, I wonder how close it will get to Black and White when all is said and done, it's got 900k to go to catch up.

EDIT: ORAS is also only 900k away from catching up to HGSS.

Top Bottom