• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Nightbird

I'll blame you. People don't say D&P&Pt, HG&SS, B&W, and X&Y. They say D/P/Pt, HGSS, B/W, XY. Your mind immediately went to the dirty implications and latched onto it. We can just call it S/M and be done with this immaturity.

Geez, I was joking, didn't the smiley made it obvious enough? -.-

So I've been thinking of running a Neogaf ORAS tournament to celebrate the coming of the new generation. Wanted to gauge interest here and in the ORAS thread before making a tournament thread, as well as see if anyone would be willing to help me provide prizes (Probably just pokemon is fine, but if someone wants to contribute eshop points or something that'd be fine too). I was planning to do VGC '15 format (because VGC '16 is more annoying in general due to the two ubers being a requirement, and the fact that even with Gen VI's guaranteed 3 perfect IVs on legends, you still can't breed them so you'll still need a lot of soft resetting to get a usable legend). I'm also interested in helping breeding good IV pokemon for people who want to participate, but don't have the time or patience to breed, and was wondering if anyone would be willing to help with that as well.

If you're interested in any of this stuff, please send me a pm with details. If you have any suggestions or questions, please let me know

Oh, and please provide suggestions for the date of the tournament if interested

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I saw this book today...

8aO9uHh.jpg

I did a double take when I saw the title, it's an unofficial kid's book inspired by the Pokemon franchise, but not actually endorsed by The Pokemon Company. After that one guy got shut down for that party I was surprised this could be released, but it doesn't have any Pokemon images in it whatsoever.

Plot is basically a couple of kids at a summer camp with a Pokemon theme---looked pretty interesting if you have a young kid into Pokemon, though I just skimmed it over.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I saw this book today...

8aO9uHh.jpg

I did a double take when I saw the title, it's an unofficial kid's book inspired by the Pokemon franchise, but not actually endorsed by The Pokemon Company. After that one guy got shut down for that party I was surprised this could be released, but it doesn't have any Pokemon images in it whatsoever.

You just explained why the book didn't get shut down, if they didn't use any image of the Pokémon then there isn't really a reason for the The Pokémon Company to go after them.

Kyzer

Banned
It could be that they actually paid licensing fees specifically for use of such and such or whatever. I'm pretty sure "Pokemon" and "Pikachu" are copyrighted

The gameplay shots are the main thing with this. They're not going to want the first images of the game to come from grainy/blurry leaked magazine photos. They know it happens and they know it's not the best first impression. The rest, new Pokémon/Megas etc., are secondary to that.

I'd be surprised if we get nothing this week (just hopefully not this afternoon...I'm watching Civil War :p Will have my laptop if shit hits the fan, but don't really want it to). Especially as CoroCoro's wording implied that the news is coming in May, not that it was coming in the next issue.

I just imagine you in the cinema and as soon as Spider-man comes on screen the Serebii signal is placed over the screen and you have to leave the movie to go update your site about Sun and Moon.

Watch Da Birdie

It could be that they actually paid licensing fees specifically for use of such and such or whatever. I'm pretty sure "Pokemon" and "Pikachu" are copyrighted

It makes me wonder the possibility of turning my thread into a book...maybe go the Sandwich Island's route and have some hideous pseudo-Pokemon on the cover too.

gardfish

Oh man, I just finished up my White replay and DAMN I don't remember Ghetsis's Hydreigon being that much of a monster my first time around. It probably helped that I was using Zekrom the first time, whereas this time I stuck with the team I'd gone through the game with (some of which were less than ideal). I ended up having to stall it out with Will-O-Wisp and a ton of Hyper Potions, I just couldn't get any good hits on it because it OHKO'd most of my team and refused to miss on any of its low accuracy moves.

That was fun, though, I got to use some of the cool Pokemon I didn't end up using the first time I played through the game. Final team was Samurott, Leavanny, Darmanitan, Cofagrigus, Archeops, and Eelektross. Eelektross, unfortunately, remained thoroughly mediocre and my team's weakest link from when I caught him as a Tynamo up to the end. Samurott was pretty unremarkable as well. Cofagrigus was okay for tanking and crippling physical attackers, and could occasionally pull off some nice KOs with the help of a Quick Claw. Darmanitan was excellent and hilariously Fire Punched his way through the entire 7th gym. Archeops was fun, and if I brought out Cofagrigus first and let Mummy spread it was a clever way of getting rid of his crippling weakness. Leavanny was my most surprising MVP; as long as I kept her away from fire and birds, she could tear through practically anything. She's definitely moved up on my list of favorite Unova 'mons.

White 2's next, which should be even more fun. I'm going to pull a "Yellow Version" and breed an Emolga to use as a starter for it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Oh man, I just finished up my White replay and DAMN I don't remember Ghetsis's Hydreigon being that much of a monster my first time around.

Yeah Ghetsis's Hydreigon doesn't mess about, he and Platinum Cyrus are the toughest evil team leaders to fight.

Still mixed on Lysandre at the moment till I replay gen 6, which won't be for a long time.

White 2's next, which should be even more fun. I'm going to pull a "Yellow Version" and breed an Emolga to use as a starter for it.

It's always fun to break the flow of the game and use Pokémon that you normally wouldn't start with.

Articalys

The single-save nature of the Pokemon games has always kept me from replaying any of them, due to my reluctance to wipe away hours upon hours of work just for a chance to try something new.

Menitta

It's clear that breaks are needed between playing Pokemon games. After I beat Platinum last month, I immediately started up Soul Silver, and now I haven't touched it in two weeks. I think once I beat Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs, I'll want to dive back in. Then I can play Shadows of Almia between that and Black and finish Super Mystery Dungeon between Black and X. No matter what I'm playing when Gen 7 happens, I'll drop it. Hopefully I can continue SS before I start my Summer class where I'll have hours of nothing to do everyday.

When writing this post, I was thinking about the launch of X/Y. That was such an awesome day. I was in competitive marching band throughout all of high school and naturally, I'll be surrounded by a lot of nerds. On the day X/Y came out, we had a competition. So, during lunch, my parents brought Subway and a copy of Pokemon X with it. It was such a pleasant surprise. That was probably the most fun bus ride ever.

And the cherry on top, we came in first in our class!

So I've been thinking of running a Neogaf ORAS tournament to celebrate the coming of the new generation. Wanted to gauge interest here and in the ORAS thread before making a tournament thread, as well as see if anyone would be willing to help me provide prizes (Probably just pokemon is fine, but if someone wants to contribute eshop points or
something that'd be fine too). I was planning to do VGC '15 format (because VGC '16 is more annoying in general due to the two ubers being a requirement, and the fact that even with Gen VI's guaranteed 3 perfect IVs on legends, you still can't breed them so you'll still need a lot of soft resetting to get a usable legend). I'm also interested in helping breeding good IV pokemon for people who want to participate, but don't have the time or patience to breed, and was wondering if anyone would be willing to help with that as well.

If you're interested in any of this stuff, please send me a pm with details. If you have any suggestions or questions, please let me know

Oh I'd love a tournament. I still dont start ORAS, but after doing it I'll just import my doubles Team from XY.

Vgc 15 is the way to go, builds pretty good setups with those rules. I could probably help with a 10$ US eshop code as prize or something else !

Bulbasaur

Banned
Theres a VGC in my city this month and I'm considering going and getting wrecked. I've EV trained some Pokèmon over the years but not with the mindframe of building a competition team..

Can any veterans see a viable team build from the motley crew below or alternatively advise what I'm lacking and should add?

Toxicroak
Sawsbuck
Slaking
Shedinja
Greninja
Accelgor
Ninetails
Mamoswine
Carracosta
Zoroark
Shifty
Donphan
Galvantula
Ninjask

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
So what are your guys' predictions for Coro Coro?

I think we're at least due the legionaries, after last months tease, and some screens. Starters would be brill too, but I wouldnt mind if we got just the silhouettes for the hilarity of some fanart designs.

I'm hoping the Owl, Cat, and Sea Lion idea is correct too, though Im debating between whether I'd want Ashimari to be a Sea Lion or Octopus. On one hand Samurott kinda fills the Sea Lion spot and the Octopus would be unique, but on the other Sea Lions are one of my fave animals and more Poke's based off them is all good in my book.

Firestorm

Theres a VGC in my city this month and I'm considering going and getting wrecked. I've EV trained some Pokèmon over the years but not with the mindframe of building a competition team..

Can any veterans see a viable team build from the motley crew below or alternatively advise what I'm lacking and should add?

Toxicroak
Sawsbuck
Slaking
Shedinja
Greninja
Accelgor
Ninetails
Mamoswine
Carracosta
Zoroark
Shifty
Donphan
Galvantula
Ninjask
Unfortunately none of those. This year's format allows you to use two "Restricted" Pokemon (one of the cover Pokemon basically) which means every team will have two of Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, Mega Rayquaza, Xerneas, Yveltal or in rarer cases some of the other Pokemon on that scale. You should have two of those Pokemon as well. Shedinja looks the closest to usable there if you wanted to cheese some folks but unfortunately Rayquaza, Groudon, Yveltal, Mega Salamence, and Sucker Punch are probably a bit too common for even that to work.

You can definitely grab some free Pokemon online though on the trading boards of Nugget Bridge, Smogon, etc.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
why are people assuming the trademarked names are starters though? don't they usually end up being common mons, with legendaries being occasionally right?

Nightbird

why are people assuming the trademarked names are starters though? don't they usually end up being common mons, with legendaries being occasionally right?

Probably because they appeared together, and because we have a Fire, Water and Grass type. Too many coincidences.

JoeM86

Probably because they appeared together, and because we have a Fire, Water and Grass type. Too many coincidences.

True, but they may not even be for Pokémon. Contrary to what some believe, lots of companies trademark with that style.

While it's possible, hell may even be probable, it's by no means a guarantee that those trademarks are for Pokémon

Mr-Joker

Banned
The single-save nature of the Pokemon games has always kept me from replaying any of them, due to my reluctance to wipe away hours upon hours of work just for a chance to try something new.

Yeah it does get annoying having to trade Pokémon, items and TM that you want to save but Pokémon Bank made it easier on the Pokémon front and as for item and TM I always have one version that is finished to hold them.

Wednesday. The Wednesday of Golden Week. It's when they revealed ORAS...

Well I hope that they don't drop Pokémon news while I am at work tomorrow.

Azuran

Banned
So I've been thinking of running a Neogaf ORAS tournament to celebrate the coming of the new generation. Wanted to gauge interest here and in the ORAS thread before making a tournament thread, as well as see if anyone would be willing to help me provide prizes (Probably just pokemon is fine, but if someone wants to contribute eshop points or something that'd be fine too). I was planning to do VGC '15 format (because VGC '16 is more annoying in general due to the two ubers being a requirement, and the fact that even with Gen VI's guaranteed 3 perfect IVs on legends, you still can't breed them so you'll still need a lot of soft resetting to get a usable legend). I'm also interested in helping breeding good IV pokemon for people who want to participate, but don't have the time or patience to breed, and was wondering if anyone would be willing to help with that as well.

Sure I'll be up for it. It's a lot easier to enter these things when I already have every Pokemon I need on my PC. Plus I hate VGC 16 so it would be nice to go back to a non-stupid format for once this year.

MarkusRJR

People on Reddit are saying the legendary bird codes came out today, but all I got was an ad for Pokémon games. I remember signing up for the newsletter like a month or two ago, but I haven't got anything. :(

People on Reddit are saying the legendary bird codes came out today, but all I got was an ad for Pokémon games. I remember signing up for the newsletter like a month or two ago, but I haven't got anything. :(

The newsletter should be out today, keep an eye on your inbox because I just got mine. Of course, I've been subscribed to the newsletter for almost a year now...

Did you sign up before 4/22?

Seil

The newsletter should be out today, keep an eye on your inbox because I just got mine. Of course, I've been subscribed to the newsletter for almost a year now...

I have emails dating back over a year and a half, but didn't receive April's newsletter. Haven't received this one yet either, but I did on a secondary account.

I have emails dating back over a year and a half, but didn't receive April's newsletter. Haven't received this one yet either, but I did on a secondary account.

Try waiting a day or so, and if you still don't get anything, then head to support.pokemon.com and let them know.

MarkusRJR

I've been signed up since 2013 or 2014, but stopped receiving them around April 2015. I changed my email and unchecked + checked the email box on the Pokémon account settings thinking it might help (back in February or March). Still haven't received anything.

Watch Da Birdie

Wednesday---a good time to expect it possibly?

Like would it be early morning, Japan-time, or at night---if it's the former that means in the next few hours!?

Like would it be early morning, Japan-time, or at night---if it's the former that means in the next few hours!?

The newsletters are dated to start being sent today in Canada/the Americas, which is why I initially suggested to wait a day or two. Remember, support.pokemon.com is where you should go if you don't get anything by the...end of the week, I guess.

I think the ORAS announcement video dropped in the afternoon EST? Well, that's when I saw it at least.

Then we got footage from Pokemon Get that weekend. If we do get something tomorrow, maybe we'll get something from Pokemon House on Sunday/Saturday too!

Nightbird

True, but they may not even be for Pokémon. Contrary to what some believe, lots of companies trademark with that style.

While it's possible, hell may even be probable, it's by no means a guarantee that those trademarks are for Pokémon

I agree. But to be honest, I would like them to be the starter names now :p

I wouldn't be disappointed if they weren't, but I still want it now. Thanks /vp/ lol

Bacs

Neo Member
I haven't received my newsletter either. I got last month's newsletter around the 8th, so maybe it'll be a day or two.

Boss Doggie

Looks like Ash will lose to Wulfric, have an episode where he trains, then fight Wulfric on another episode.

Articalys

I swear I read somewhere that in the anime, gym leaders haven't coughed up their badges in the first episode they appear in since somewhere in the mid-AG series. Since then it's always been either a loss followed by a rematch, a single multi-episode match, or they simply don't have the match in their first episode.

Oh, and I got my newsletter with the codes at about 9am EDT sharp, but I forget when exactly I registered. Wonder if they're getting sent out in waves or something.

I swear I read somewhere that in the anime, gym leaders haven't coughed up their badges in the first episode they appear in since somewhere in the mid-AG series. Since then it's always been either a loss followed by a rematch, a single multi-episode match, or they simply don't have the match in their first episode.

looking it up, that seems to basically be the case

the last gym leader to get defeated in their debut episode was Wattson (who got trounced lol)
they have been doing the whole intro the gym leader or have ash lose to them or whatever for some time even before Wattson

if anything, it's nice that they are letting the gym leaders develop some character here especially if they were from certain games

Menitta

Looks like Ash will lose to Wulfric, have an episode where he trains, then fight Wulfric on another episode.

One of my biggest problems with gen 3 and 4 was when Ash gets stomped by a gym leader, they spend 10 episodes training. Granted Fantina sucks and was bad at her job, so Ash had time, but like...jeez.

Boss Doggie

Well it's not more of a training as it seems more like he perfects Synchro? The ep tease showed him in a cave with lots of old commons and he's in a winter jacket.

>XY&Z027: Snowbelle Gym Match! A Battlefield of Ice!! [May 19th]
>XY&Z028: The Winding Woods... The Dawn of Evolution! [May 26th]
>XY&Z029: Decisive Battle at the Snowbelle Gym! The Final Badge!! [June 2nd]

Menitta

I have no doubt that whatever they do in XYZ will be at least interesting because of Ash and Greninja, but that wasn't in gen 3/4 and so much of gen 3/4 was training. Also, when they learn moves, it'll never be as interesting/hype as when Buizel learned Water Pulse when fighting Lucario.

One of my biggest problems with gen 3 and 4 was when Ash gets stomped by a gym leader, they spend 10 episodes training. Granted Fantina sucks and was bad at her job, so Ash had time, but like...jeez.

they come across Fantina in like the middle of nowhere and have an unofficial fight

they were also on the way to one of dawn's upcoming contests so it makes sense that they don't have the time to just turn around and fight her again in her gym

Bulbasaur

Banned
Unfortunately none of those. This year's format allows you to use two "Restricted" Pokemon (one of the cover Pokemon basically) which means every team will have two of Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, Mega Rayquaza, Xerneas, Yveltal or in rarer cases some of the other Pokemon on that scale. You should have two of those Pokemon as well. Shedinja looks the closest to usable there if you wanted to cheese some folks but unfortunately Rayquaza, Groudon, Yveltal, Mega Salamence, and Sucker Punch are probably a bit too common for even that to work.

You can definitely grab some free Pokemon online though on the trading boards of Nugget Bridge, Smogon, etc.

That's discouraging.. But thank you for the advice!

Top Bottom