• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Jay RaR

More news is always neat. Wonder what will get revealed first. The legendaries...
silhouettes
maybe?

In other news, I've finally gotten my hands on the HA bird trio. Getting them and soft resetting for good natures was a nuisance I've long since forgotten, but it was still fun. I battled with them on Battle Spot (in X lol) and I gotta say Zapdos is much more useful with Static and Moltres is great as well with Flame Body. Articuno though is still pretty bad and its HA is actually not very helpful.

I see no reason to be cynical this time. They've been ridiculously slow at starting the news cycle this time out, but it's not like TPCi skimp on the news and information once they get going, and May is often the time they start in earnest.

I expect the headliners- the starters and the cover legendaries- as well as more general information about the region and protagonist art. Regular reveals can kick off next month.

MAtgS

Misty hasn't shown up outside of flashbacks since her appearance at the beginning of the Battle Frontier and yet people still make PokeShipping videos so I mean.

Well for the longest time it seemed obvious girls were always gonna come & go & there never would be any romance in the series anyway. Pokeshippers could at least take some solace in knowing Misty would always be remembered as the 1st & longest reigning girl which would make still her stand out from the rest. If the series is always doomed to be an undead zombie with no end, they're free to imagine whatever hypothetical finale they want.

Then Serena happened & threw that all out the window. Pokeshippers are probably in a renewed stages of grief at this point: NOW after all this time the writers suddenly decide Ash should have a love interest? & it's a new character instead of bringing back a fan favorite? Plus with that flashback origin story, it is Serena who is now the retconned 1st girl. So if anything they're probably a lot more motivated nowadays to be vocal.

At this point though Amour Shipping is legitimate as it's a part of the plot. Even Junichi Masuda at Gamefreak supports it.
Wonder if Satoshi Tajiri or Ken Sugimori have said anything?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well for the longest time it seemed obvious girls were always gonna come & go & there never would be any romance in the series anyway. Pokeshippers could at least take some solace in knowing Misty would always be remembered as the 1st & longest reigning girl which would make still her stand out from the rest. If the series is always doomed to be an undead zombie with no end, they're free to imagine whatever hypothetical finale they want.

Then Serena happened & threw that all out the window. Pokeshippers are probably in a renewed stages of grief at this point: NOW after all this time the writers suddenly decide Ash should have a love interest? & it's a new character instead of bringing back a fan favorite? Plus with that flashback origin story, it is Serena who is now the retconned 1st girl. So if anything they're probably a lot more motivated nowadays to be vocal.

Wonder if Satoshi Tajiri or Ken Sugimori have said anything?

Pokeshipping is also dub-induced (like a certain shipping in Digimon Adventure), with only teasing found in the second movie.

Sugimori has also retweeted amourshipping stuff, I think he even had a scene where Serena was bodying Ash.

Does Tajiri even use social media?

MAtgS

Pokeshipping is also dub-induced (like a certain shipping in Digimon Adventure), with only teasing found in the second movie.

The Dengenki Pikachu manga & Japanese newspaper strip also played it up. It seems like pretty much everyone involved with the franchise supported it (or at least saw it as inevitable) except for those who had the final say. (the same could be said of Digimon too)

Now excuse me as I move to my next stage of grief: Well there's still the live action movie to look forward to. Serena being in that is about as likely as a Beast Wars film.

Boss Doggie

Electric Tale of Pikachu was its own thing though, despite being "inspired" by the anime. With that said it is superior to OS Pokemon in many ways, weird bosoms aside.

Also shipteasing was in every other episode, sometimes subtle sometimes holy shit in your face.

I mean seriously, why is Ash drinking on Serena's bottle with that mouthful mouth?

Does anyone remember when the differences between Black and White were released? Specifically Black City and White Forest?

Just wondering when we could expect a similar reveal for SM if there happens to be any differences in the games aside from exclusive pokemon. (I don't expect to hear anything about this on Tuesday, of course)

Does anyone remember when the differences between Black and White were released? Specifically Black City and White Forest?

Just wondering when we could expect a similar reveal for SM if there happens to be any differences in the games aside from exclusive pokemon. (I don't expect to hear anything about this on Tuesday, of course)
Sun village and moon tower incoming

all i could find from searching seems to just be that there's black city and white forest

it's funny in hindsight when you consider how late you could even access them in b/w

Menitta

Should I watch all of Hoenn? I watched a few episodes of Battle Frontier last night and, it was weird, but enjoyable.

I got back into Soul Silver. That game and Platinum constantly swap between my favourite Pokemon game. That's the best feeling.

So, been thinking about how synchro as shown in the anime might be translated into a game mechanic. I'd imagine power similar to or greater than mega, and no held item required, but after base requirements are met on a capable pokemon (perhaps max friendship/affection) you can only do it after it builds up a gauge in battle (said gauge would probably fill upon giving and taking damage, and would empty if you switch out). The idea is that Ash-Greninja has never been used at the start of a battle, it's only after the battle's been underway for a while, and after Ash and Greninja are sufficiently pumped. It'd balance out synchro since despite being super powerful, it'd be pretty hard to use in competitive since you'd need a single pokemon to stay in for a long time without fainting or switching out. And if the gauge is only fueled by damage, you can't use stuff like protect to make it easier.

This page is shipping wars talk heavy. The only thing that would make any shipping with Ash worth it is if the said female Serena or other wise stays with him region to region only leaving him in short burst to do whatever it is she's doing. And lots of character development ofcourse.

GoldStarz

So, been thinking about how synchro as shown in the anime might be translated into a game mechanic. I'd imagine power similar to or greater than mega, and no held item required, but after base requirements are met on a capable pokemon (perhaps max friendship/affection) you can only do it after it builds up a gauge in battle (said gauge would probably fill upon giving and taking damage, and would empty if you switch out). The idea is that Ash-Greninja has never been used at the start of a battle, it's only after the battle's been underway for a while, and after Ash and Greninja are sufficiently pumped. It'd balance out synchro since despite being super powerful, it'd be pretty hard to use in competitive since you'd need a single pokemon to stay in for a long time without fainting or switching out. And if the gauge is only fueled by damage, you can't use stuff like protect to make it easier.
Or it could work like Zen Mode lol

Seil

No actually. Every time Ash has fainted during Synchro usage he was actually doing really well. And when Ash-Greninja flat out lost to Mega Charizard, he didn't faint

The first time they fought, they likely weren't as synchronized as the second time, where he fainted from non KO damage. The synchronization was basically perfect during the second fight, and it didn't even take Greninja being KO'd to cause Ash to faint.

Easy to assume that if they were at that level and Greninja really did suffer a major blow, Ash would be in seriously bad shape.

Articalys

I still have no idea what their endgame plan is for the fusion/synchro stuff. It's a completely foreign concept to anything shown before in the game or anime (closest to Megas but the shared sense thing makes it unique), it's not promoting anything other than itself in other Pokemon media, and it's stupidly powerful enough that it'll almost certainly have an awkward explanation for why it can never happen again with any other Pokemon after the season's over.

tumblr_o6phbtpChN1tf388eo2_250.gif

Had to watch the episode again. This has to be one of ash's greatest Pokémon of all time.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So can't wait for May 10th, it's gonna be great. :D :D

Should I watch all of Hoenn? I watched a few episodes of Battle Frontier last night and, it was weird, but enjoyable.

I watched the tail end of the Hoenn arc and it was pretty good, plus it was fun seeing the then new Gen 4 Pokémon and getting hyped for Diamond and Pearl.

#Goodtimesindeed. #ThrowbackThursdayeventhoughit'sSaturday

The first time they fought, they likely weren't as synchronized as the second time, where he fainted from non KO damage. The synchronization was basically perfect during the second fight, and it didn't even take Greninja being KO'd to cause Ash to faint.

Easy to assume that if they were at that level and Greninja really did suffer a major blow, Ash would be in seriously bad shape.

So Ash will probably end up fainting in the league causing him to lose...Hmm maybe I should get back into watching XY&Z and just invest myself for the Kalos league, surely it can't be worse than Unova's one.

tumblr_o6phbtpChN1tf388eo2_250.gif

Had to watch the episode again. This has to be one of ash's greatest Pokémon of all time.

Greninja: "Ha you thought that because I didn't have wings I couldn't fly? Behold water wings activate!!!" ;p

Boss Doggie

Nah, that'd be really, really dumb as a game mechanic

I dunno, power boost while being hands free at a cost is great.

No actually. Every time Ash has fainted during Synchro usage he was actually doing really well. And when Ash-Greninja flat out lost to Mega Charizard, he didn't faint

I am imagining the full synchro is being able to control at will but at the same time experiencing pain

remember the Team Flare fight? when Manectric bit Greninja-Ash, Ash felt it

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wait, so apparently Junichi said "ciao" in one of his tweets about the 10th?

Italy confirmed? 0.o

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'd love if they just went ahead and re-used Alto Mare from the Latios and Latias movie for the Pokemon world's Venice, that place was tight.

MarkusRJR

How long does it take to get a reply from Pokémon Support? Asked question about not receiving newsletters for literally a year (despite my account settings having emails checked off), and 5 days later I still haven't gotten a response.

I'm going to be kind of peeved if I can't get the legendary bird codes.

Menitta

I'd love a city that's like Venice. Like the one in Pokemon Heroes.

Alright! Here we go! Pokemon Advanced Episode 1. I'm excited to watch this unlike Best Wishes.

Edit: May's first VA is a little...meh. I forgot that the first part of Advanced was still 4Kids. Now it makes sense.
I hated the original VAs. Makes it unwatchable for me, today.

Edit2: They got rid of the running gag of ruining someone's bike in gen 5! Why?! It was hilarious!

Top Bottom