• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Articalys

Within only a little over two months, between my normal playthroughs of X and OR, a handful of official event distributions, and three normal trades, I now have 39 Legendary/Mythical Pokemon, with an additional 8 guaranteed from known future events, leaving only 5 that were verison exclusive or I missed the events (Lugia, Latias, Kyogre, Diancie, Hoopa), and 1 that isn't out for anyone in America yet (Volcanion),

Rare Pokemon collecting has changed.

Menitta

they come across Fantina in like the middle of nowhere and have an unofficial fight

they were also on the way to one of dawn's upcoming contests so it makes sense that they don't have the time to just turn around and fight her again in her gym

Didn't Ash challenge Fantina and she was all like "Lol nope, contests!!" and just fucked off? I remember that happening at some point. I do remember Ash trying to beat her Mismagius for like 8 episodes.

She was the worst gym leader in D/P. Just do your job!!

GoldStarz

Didn't Ash challenge Fantina and she was all like "Lol nope, contests!!" and just fucked off?

She was the worst gym leader in D/P. Just do your job!!

She probably was...

Being a gym leader isn't an actual occupation as the BW games show. Given her attire and the fact that she only uses Drifblim in Contests, that's probably more or less her primary occupation.

Menitta

She probably was...

Being a gym leader isn't an actual occupation as the BW games show. Given her attire and the fact that she only uses Drifblim in Contests, that's probably more or less her primary occupation.

Fair enough. I still don't like Fantina.

In DP, you got to Hearthome City and then you're told that Fantina isn't there, and no gym battle for you! And even in the anime, for a long time, the narrator started episodes with "On their way to Hearthome City" or something like that. This happens so often with gym leaders in the anime, but from what I remember, Fantina did it 3 times! My memory may be failing me, but it can't undo the damage of my opinion towards Fantina.

I like Maylene because she runs a dojo and all she does is fight and her few episode arc in the anime was awesome.

Bacs

Neo Member
As an update to my other post, I received the newsletter this morning. Since someone asked earlier, it does appear they are being sent out in waves.

What are the chances GameFreak releases Sun & Moon info before the supposed CoroCoro leak?

Distinctly possible, provided the Coro Coro information is in any way substantial. If they're releasing gameplay shots (and it's honestly difficult to see how they could avoid it by this point), it's pretty likely that TPCi would like to get in front of it and release direct footage rather than having first impressions be from dodgy scans.

Hell, even if they do nothing other than reveal the cover legendaries, I'd be very unsurprised if they put out a worldwide press release- Reshiram, Zekrom, Xerneas and Yveltal have all had worldwide reveals.

Articalys

So if they do decide to have the next reveals via Youtube, which channels should I be subscribed to in order to get notified ASAP?

frogg609

I just finished watching season 1 (my first time). Should i just continu watching each season until I am current or should I skip any?

Seil

I just finished watching season 1 (my first time). Should i just continu watching each season until I am current or should I skip any?

Well, if you aren't disliking them then you might as well go all the way through. That said, you could skip all the way to XY and you'd be fine outside of bits primarily aimed at nostalgia like returning travel companions and an occasional older Pokemon.

BW hits the reset button hard at the start, though, imo moreso than any other season. It's like Ash had his memory wiped of all knowledge of battle x.x That combined with the fact the companions weren't great made it pretty annoying for me. I liked some of the later BW stuff, though, generally the arcs focusing on legendaries. But overall, not a fan of the BW anime.

Sinnoh league was pretty good. Only thing I liked about Black and White was the random tournaments they had threw out the Black and White series. Other than that I did not like Black and White at all.

I like XY & Z alot. Worth watching. I only wish they had in XY & Z was more random anime only tournaments.

Everything else in my opinion is skippable.
Also concerning the Sinnoh league. I just watched the actual league tournament itself and back track to see whatever episodes that random online people felt was good.

Menitta

I wouldn't advise skipping to the modern series because it can make going back to older ones difficult. This is all in my opinion.

Skip the Orange Islands.

I haven't seen all of Johto but it's good. It's got Misty and Brock so there's that.

If you really liked the Hoenn games, watch Advanced, but if not, skip it. Max is really annoying for me. May is okay, though. Watch a few episodes and decide for yourself.

Definitely watch Sinnoh. Dawn is one of the best companions by far. Ash also has a really solid team. It can start out kinda slow, but it really ramps up later on. Also, it has 3 really good movies.

SKIP ALL OF BLACK AND WHITE NO MATTER WHAT!!! Do not watch a single episode of it. None of it is worth it. I ranted about it a few pages back when I attempted to watch it.

XY is probably the best of the entire series.

Articalys

Speaking of the anime, Rica Matsumoto, Ikue Otani, and whoever the Japanese voices are for Jesse/James/Meowth have to be among the record holders for longest performance tenure as the same character in a continuously ongoing anime, right? Only Detective Conan and eternal stuff like Sazae-san/Doraemon are the other contenders...

edit: forgot that One Piece is barely any younger than Pokemon, so most of the original main cast from that counts too. Naruto isn't too far behind, but it might actually end soon (maybe), while the former two will keep going.

edit2: really, as soon as I remembered long-running Jump shonen series my entire argument fell apart, but I would be a coward to erase the post, so I'll just leave it here.

no one's allowed to find love in the anime

even though she was a pretty good match

gave us some great eureka faces though:
ChqwYBPUYAYJOQT.jpg
ChqwYBmUYAEnz3R.jpg

ChqwYBzUUAACPlE.jpg
ChqwX_0U4AEH81h.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT EP WAS HYPE

First off, Diantha fucking INVOLVED in the plot unlike in the games. Also Ash made Diantha sweat and he was winning (nearly fainted MEGA Gardevoir, ready to perform a finishing move) when the only reason it didn't happen was because Ash fainted.

Next ep preview. Seems like Ash's win here rebounds on his fight with Shota, as he seems to be now getting an upper hand (and Shota's team is literally the "anti-Ash"). Goodra save him.

Also gonna take note: Greninja's fuuma shuriken/kite/butterfly wing TOTALLY screamed like this

Turn_A_Moonlight_Butterfly.jpg

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT EP WAS HYPE

First off, Diantha fucking INVOLVED in the plot unlike in the games. Also Ash made Diantha sweat and he was winning (nearly fainted MEGA Gardevoir, ready to perform a finishing move) when the only reason it didn't happen was because Ash fainted.

Next ep preview. Seems like Ash's win here rebounds on his fight with Shota, as he seems to be now getting an upper hand (and Shota's team is literally the "anti-Ash"). Goodra save him.

Also gonna take note: Greninja's fuuma shuriken/kite/butterfly wing TOTALLY screamed like this

Turn_A_Moonlight_Butterfly.jpg
Ash losing the league is going to be such bullshit

MANUELF

Banned
Tobias will return obviously. With Mega Darkrai.

Also, I hope Ash does lose to Shota/Sawyer next ep, because that would pretty much cement Ash beating him in the actual league
I can totally see him as the first trainer with two mega pokemon and both legendaries.....

Honestly the absolute best case scenario for Ash losing the league this time around is that after the Team Flare stuff is done, Alain decides to challenge the league after all, gets his badges in record time, and is the one who beats Ash

kyo2004

Hmmm...

Shota Pokémon as XY&Z 26

Sceptile (Mega at League)
Shelgon (Salamence with possibility of Mega)
Slurpuff
Doublade (Smogon Sword - Coming Soon...)
Clauncher (likely Clawitzwer when reach KL)

Vs.

Ash-Greninja
Brave Bird
Noivern
Hawlucha
Pikachu

When they reach KL, that battle gonna be HUGE....

Hmmm...

Shota Pokémon as XY&Z 26

Slurpuff

Vs.

Ash-Greninja
Brave Bird
Noivern
Hawlucha
Pikachu

shota Clauncher has evolved already

you can see it in the clip

Has anyone else not gotten their Bird codes yet? I've been waiting and waiting while I see all my friends and other people getting them but none for ol Spyro.

I sent them a support message to see if they cna help. I'm signed up on the Trainer club, I have emails enabled (and have been for quite some time now) and I know it didn't go into my spam folder either.

Hegarol

Has anyone else not gotten their Bird codes yet? I've been waiting and waiting while I see all my friends and other people getting them but none for ol Spyro.

I sent them a support message to see if they cna help. I'm signed up on the Trainer club, I have emails enabled (and have been for quite some time now) and I know it didn't go into my spam folder either.
I am still waiting as well!

Jay RaR

Hmmm...

Shota Pokémon as XY&Z 26

Slurpuff

Vs.

Ash-Greninja
Smogon Bird
Noivern
Hawlucha
Pikachu

Maaan...I'm so disappointed Ash didn't get Smogon Sword. I'd really ironically wanted something like this happen in the anime/movies:

But I'm not gonna lie Shota's team is pretty friggin amazing (aside from the Slurpuff). Wonder if both will get a 6th Poke?

Top Bottom