• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Menitta

Jesus hoenn was drawn out you're only at brawly

I just watched an episode where Jessie and May swapped Wurmples. That was a good use of my time. /s

I remember the last time I watched Hoenn, I stopped during Advanced because there were sooooooo many episodes of nothing happening. Sinnoh had that too, but they definitely cut back on it. I guess it's the anime representation of grinding.

Menitta

Was this the episode where Jessie sniped a catch from that one Yamna weirdo?

I remember that. I feel like Ash and Co. are biased because they don't like Team Rocket. That kid should just get good at catching Pokemon. It's fair game.

No Pokemon catching episode will be as cool as Totodile. Maybe Buizel.

EVERY FREAKING TIME WURMPLE SHOWS UP MAY AND JESSIE GO THROUGH THE SAME THING!!!

Oh, awesome. They evolved...yaaaaaay.

I remember that. I feel like Ash and Co. are biased because they don't like Team Rocket. That kid should just get good at catching Pokemon. It's fair game.

No Pokemon catching episode will be as cool as Totodile. Maybe Buizel.

EVERY FREAKING TIME WURMPLE SHOWS UP MAY AND JESSIE GO THROUGH THE SAME THING!!!

Oh, awesome. They evolved...yaaaaaay.
I'm glad they didn't draw that out its natural they would evolve quickly

Menitta

Why are there so many Sonic voice actors in this?! Brawly is Sonic and his girlfriend is AMY!!! I don't know why I'm upset about this!!!

Edit: Nevermind, that fits super well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sonic was also 4kids back then, wasn't it?

The real crazy connection between Pokémon's original English dub is how many characters it shares with The Slayers dub.

Busaiku

Because they both contracted New York talent.
Companies don't usually employ their own VAs, they use specific studios, and tend to draw from the same pool.

Menitta

Because they both contracted New York talent.
Companies don't usually employ their own VAs, they use specific studios, and tend to draw from the same pool.

Yeah, that's what I assumed. I'm just freaking out because of it.I'm half expecting Brawly to go "Woah! That's a Chaos Emerald!"

I had to skip all of the training episodes before the Brawly rematch. I couldn't take it anymore.

WPS

Yeah, that's what I assumed. I'm just freaking out because of it.I'm half expecting Brawly to go "Woah! That's a Chaos Emerald!"

I had to skip all of the training episodes before the Brawly rematch. I couldn't take it anymore.

Oddly enough I don't think I noticed Sonic as Brawly. Certainly not to the extent of the next major sonic character voice coming up in hoenn. I don't remember exactly when they turn up, but I'm sure you'll know them when they do.

The narrator is eggman. He's not doing the eggman voice but it overlaps enough, especially in the ending narration.

Also Prof. Birch is Knuckles is Yami is Dan Green.

Menitta

Oddly enough I don't think I noticed Sonic as Brawly. Certainly not to the extent of the next major sonic character voice coming up in hoenn. I don't remember exactly when they turn up, but I'm sure you'll know them when they do.

The narrator is eggman. He's not doing the eggman voice but it overlaps enough, especially in the ending narration.

Also Prof. Birch is Knuckles is Yami is Dan Green.

n6kryW9.gif

Gotta find those starter Pokemon

Fuck I can't unhear Eggman now.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What the heck, why did Ash and the others beat up Team Rocket for catching wild Pokémon.
This was the worst episode.

Oh they garbled it in the dub I take it? One of the best episodes in original because it talks about Noibat becoming a man.

Menitta

I'm so tired of people just outright accusing Ash and co. of being criminals or some shit that eventually leads to a 30 second battle only to end with "I'M SO SORRY WE SHOULDA LISTENED!!!" This has happened 3 times.

So far, Hoenn has been really underwhelming and repetitive. There are so many episodes between either a gym battle or a contest. I might just go straight to Battle Frontier/whenever 4Kids stopped.

I'm so tired of people just outright accusing Ash and co. of being criminals or some shit that eventually leads to a 30 second battle only to end with "I'M SO SORRY WE SHOULDA LISTENED!!!" This has happened 3 times.

So far, Hoenn has been really underwhelming and repetitive. There are so many episodes between either a gym battle or a contest. I might just go straight to Battle Frontier/whenever 4Kids stopped.
Hoenn league is great. But yea the Battle frontier is the best part hoenn

Seil

I think because it was team rocket instead of doing the whole beat them up, throw pokeball routine, they just decided to capture them in a net or whatever

cause that's bad

Certainly has nothing to do with the fact Floette and Noibat were friends, and so Noibat was pissed right the fuck off.

Not to mention Team Rocket doing anything near the main cast is worthy of getting the shit beaten out of them with everything they pull =p

Basically the only times I don't hate having Team Rocket involved in an episode is when the episode actually focuses on them. Or early BW where they were somewhat competent, the only good thing to come of early BW. Gets real tiring having their lame shtick in almost every episode x.x Clemont's failed inventions have been becoming really frequent again too.

The better episodes are when they don't try to throw that stuff in for the sake of doing it. Like the final Tripokalon or whatever it's called, or the episode that focused on Team Rocket and Puni-chan #2.

Menitta

I'd say that Team Rocket's gimmick got really old in Gen 3 and 4. It was the exact same thing every episode. At least in Gen 6 the humor is different. My favorite blast off will always be when James shouts "WOBBUFET."

Edit: OH DAMNIT!! THEY'RE BEING ACCUSED OF THEFT AGAIN!!!!

Edit 2: *Throws hat on ground* FUCK!!!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think Hoenn is a very solid series, but looking back there's far less highs in it compared to most of the other series...

However, I will say "Whiscash and Ash" and "Claydol Big and Tall" are top-tier fillers and amazingly funny. And for drama "Do I Hear a Ralts" is one of my favorites too.

GoldStarz

I think Hoenn is a very solid series, but looking back there's far less highs in it compared to most of the other series...

However, I will say "Whiscash and Ash" and "Claydol Big and Tall" are top-tier fillers and amazingly funny. And for drama "Do I Hear a Ralts" is one of my favorites too.

I feel like they should've given Max his own Pokemon like they did with Bonnie because you have several eps that are basically "Max befriend a Pokemon but he can't have them bc he's not old enough despite being plenty capable loooooool"

tbt i didn't really like max at all so i didn't really care that he doesn't get to keep the pokemon for whatever reason

i like eureka though so i 'm pretty disappointed that she doesn't get to make her own op team from travelling thanks to weekly plot reasons

Menitta

There's some good stuff in Hoenn, but there's a lot of stuff that's really jarring. As I said before, Ash and co. constantly being accused of shit is so frustrating. Like the people in Hoenn are as brain-dead as the people from Invader Zim.

Right now, I'm at the episode where Misty is back which is cool, but there's a bunch of bullshit with Togepi involving a kingdom that nobody knows about.

That being said, I do think May is a really solid companion. Granted Ash doesn't have the same chemistry with May as he does with Dawn, but she's cool, nonetheless.

GoldStarz

There's some good stuff in Hoenn, but there's a lot of stuff that's really jarring. As I said before, Ash and co. constantly being accused of shit is so frustrating. Like the people in Hoenn are as brain-dead as the people from Invader Zim.

Right now, I'm at the episode where Misty is back which is cool, but there's a bunch of bullshit with Togepi involving a kingdom that nobody knows about.

That being said, I do think May is a really solid companion. Granted Ash don't have the same chemistry with May as he does with Dawn, but she's cool, nonetheless.

IIRC in Hoenn, Ash isn't quite at rookie level, but he's also not on the vet levels he has in Johto and Sinnoh (and I guess Kalos).

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Is there like a google sheets for all the available catchable pokemon in all the games? I caught over half the pokemon in the dex and feel like completeing it.

Menitta

IIRC in Hoenn, Ash isn't quite at rookie level, but he's also not on the vet levels he has in Johto and Sinnoh (and I guess Kalos).

He knew what he was doing in Hoenn. I guess at that point, he wasn't used to starting New Game Plus. By Sinnoh, he had an idea of what to expect.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS THIS TOGEPI ARC????

Is there like a google sheets for all the available catchable pokemon in all the games? I caught over half the pokemon in the dex and feel like completeing it.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_availability

Seil

Well, serebii has kind of the opposite. Lists of Pokemon that you can't obtain in X&Y and ORAS respectively:

X&Y Unobtainables
OR&AS Unobtainables

Between X&Y and ORAS, all Pokemon excluding Mythicals(event only) can be obtained.

Edit: There's also a number of us here and over in the ORAS OT that have living dexes and can help out with some stuff.

Menitta

Normally, I hate the episode before a gym battle, with the exception being Maylene. They're usually so pointless and not important but there needs to be one because Ash has to make friends with the Gym Leader before a fight.

The episode before Flannery's gym battle is so pointless, I love it.

Menitta

I have no affinity towards the birds. If you want mine you can take them. I already used the codes, so I'll have to trade them to you.

Seil

So it's been a week and still no bird codes. Anyone else in this same boat or am I hosed?

My primary account still hasn't received them either. Secondary got them day 1. So I don't need them, but I do wish I knew what the hell was going on.

The newsletter's still checked on my primary. I dunno what's going on since I missed out on last month's too. Haven't been sent a renewal email or anything x.x

Busaiku

Besides the music there's really not much different.
I do think it could've been a bit better with the better music, but it wouldn't drastically change my view.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Besides the music there's really not much different.
I do think it could've been a bit better with the better music, but it wouldn't drastically change my view.

I dunno, the script would be better too.

I mean, when I watched it, it was like the Quilladin episode except done right, and the focus was thoroughly on Noibat.

Menitta

Sometimes I'll skip to the end of a contest episode to see who wins. After 2 years of experiencing Dawn's contests as a kid, I can't go through this again.

Edit: The people of Hoenn are as dumb as the people from Invader Zim.

Edit2: Treeko proves how terrible Snivy is.

Kneefoil

Trainer customization is back bby! That makes me glad.

Starters left me kind of cold, but the owl is alright. Here's hoping they evolve into something nice.

Top Bottom