• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Cranster

Banned
for me I feel Gen VI has the best mons designed

anyway

tEqr5pc.jpg
I'm calling it, Serena at the very least will continue to travel with Ash after XY&Z ends.

Seil

I'm calling it, Serena at the very least will continue to travel with Ash after XY&Z ends.

I hope so. They've been pushing this ship way too hard to go nowhere with it x.x Plus she's an actually decent travel companion.

I do hope Clemont stays in Kalos, though, and that the next dude's shtick isn't as annoying x.x I like Clemont, hate the exploding inventions. Hated Cilan's shtick too. I mean, they all have one, but Clemont's inventions always try to have some plot relevance, usually in an annoying way just like Team Rocket shenanigans which we also get constantly, which makes them more annoying. Brock at least would hit on a girl, get beaten up by someone and be done with it.

So じめん=Ground type right

Making sure I have the right HP before saving this Raikou. Though I can SR more whenever so I'm not too worried, I still want to make sure I didn't F up this one.

Cranster

Banned
I hope so. They've been pushing this ship way too hard to go nowhere with it x.x Plus she's an actually decent travel companion.

I do hope Clemont stays in Kalos, though, and that the next dude's shtick isn't as annoying x.x I like Clemont, hate the exploding inventions. Hated Cilan's shtick too. I mean, they all have one, but Clemont's inventions always try to have some plot relevance, usually in an annoying way just like Team Rocket shenanigans which we also get constantly, which makes them more annoying. Brock at least would hit on a girl, get beaten up by someone and be done with it.
Yeah those repeat jokes can get annoying. I do like Clemont and Bonnie as characters, realisticly though they would be the two who would make sense to stay in Kalos.

Kneefoil

th are the 7th gym leaders of their region.

Blaine shares Sungalio's Mustache, colors, and potential fire type relations. (Sun = Fire)
Olympia shares Lunala's colors, magical cape thingy (wings?), hair, and potential Psychic Typing.

I asked this in previous threads and hopefully I will get some thoughts on it here. Is there a possible relationship here, it can't be a coincidence it's way too on the nose. Does this tie in with the Ash Greninja synergy thing? Or is this alluding to something much more like reincarnation?

lol

Red and white is a commonly used combination to represent very high temperatures. Ever heard of the term "white-hot"? Lions also have whiskers so I don't see anything special there.

Purple is often associated with mystic and cosmic powers. If you look at fortune tellers in other Nintendo games for example, like Zelda, Animal Crossing or Luigi's Mansion, you'll notice that the color purple is often present. Olympia is also implied to be able to tell the future, what with her talking about destiny and fate, and the stars her cape represent her skill to read the stars. Dark blue and purple are also probably the most commonly used colors when visualizing outer space and night sky (excluding black, of course), so the colors for Pokémon Moon's cover legendary makes sense.

But yeah, the colors definitely give off a Psychic type vibe. The devs also have a background with associating psychic powers with space (Olympia, Cresselia, Deoxys....) so my guess for the Pokémon'ns typing would be Psychic/Flying.

I doubt synchronization between trainer and Pokémon á la Ash-Greninja is anything they'd add to the games. It's not substantially different from Mega Evolution, and remodeling many Pokémon probably wouldn't be worth GameFreak's time - especially now that trainer customization seems to be back, so they'd have to take that into account.

Serena isn't coming back for the next region- they've already set up her leaving the group to do coordination training after the League.

Thank Christ.

Kssio_Aug

Shiny Xerneas mystery gift is live for NA.

Thanks! I got it!

I have some questions regarding legendaries:
1) If I capture a legendary once, could I capture it again somehow? In case I want a shiny or better stats for example.

2) I won't use Power Saves, but reading about how common it is to find people hacking Pokemons, is it worth hunting good stats Legendaries?

I'm not sure if I should just capture the legendaries that I find, or if I should make sure they're shiny or with good stats.

Weebos

Banned
Thanks! I got it!

I have some questions regarding legendaries:
1) If I capture a legendary once, could I capture it again somehow? In case I want a shiny or better stats for example.

2) I won't use Power Saves, but reading about how common it is to find people hacking Pokemons, is it worth hunting good stats Legendaries?

I'm not sure if I should just capture the legendaries that I find, or if I should make sure they're shiny or with good stats.

1. No, not without restarting your game.

2. IMO, no, it isn't worth the time. Also keep in mind some are "Shiny locked", which means they can't be caught shiny, be sure to look that up before wasting days of your life.

Kssio_Aug

1. No, not without restarting your game.

2. IMO, no, it isn't worth the time. Also keep in mind some are "Shiny locked", which means they can't be caught shiny, be sure to look that up before wasting days of your life.

So I probably should just capture the legendaries I find. I guess it would be too much work to worry about their stats...

Seil

So I probably should just capture the legendaries I find. I guess it would be too much work to worry about their stats...

It's worth it if you're really interested in competitive battling, and it's a good legendary. But for most people not worth it. SRing a perfect legendary can take a long time.

As for shiny, the only wild legendaries that can't be shiny in ORAS are the four linked to story/postgame story events. All of the others can be shiny, including Reshiram and Zekrom which couldn't be in Gen V.

None of the legendaries in X&Y can be shiny.

But it's really up to you if SRing is worth it, whether it be for stats or shinies.

Menitta

I hope so! If they don't, it'll be the biggest waste of time since Star Ocean 3.

One reason I do think that's going to happen is that the main reason Serena is traveling is to be on an adventure with Ash.

I hope so! If they don't, it'll be the biggest waste of time since Star Ocean 3.

One reason I do think that's going to happen is that the main reason Serena is traveling is to be on an adventure with Ash.
Also helps the main characters for sun and moon are pretty generic looking. I can't see the girl protag tagging along with ash. Give Serena another hair change and outfit and bam

GoldStarz

lol

Red and white is a commonly used combination to represent very high temperatures. Ever heard of the term "white-hot"? Lions also have whiskers so I don't see anything special there.

Purple is often associated with mystic and cosmic powers. If you look at fortune tellers in other Nintendo games for example, like Zelda, Animal Crossing or Luigi's Mansion, you'll notice that the color purple is often present. Olympia is also implied to be able to tell the future, what with her talking about destiny and fate, and the stars her cape represent her skill to read the stars. Dark blue and purple are also probably the most commonly used colors when visualizing outer space and night sky (excluding black, of course), so the colors for Pokémon Moon's cover legendary makes sense.

But yeah, the colors definitely give off a Psychic type vibe. The devs also have a background with associating psychic powers with space (Olympia, Cresselia, Deoxys....) so my guess for the Pokémon'ns typing would be Psychic/Flying.

I doubt synchronization between trainer and Pokémon á la Ash-Greninja is anything they'd add to the games. It's not substantially different from Mega Evolution, and remodeling many Pokémon probably wouldn't be worth GameFreak's time - especially now that trainer customization seems to be back, so they'd have to take that into account.

I'm calling the Bat as Fairy/Dark. It's definitely got a more Dark-type vibe to it then it does a Psychic vibe in my opinion and GameFreak just changed all moves associated with the moon in Fairy types so it would be a pretty significant backpedal if they suddenly made THE moon Pokemon into a type that's not Fairy.

Menitta

Also helps the main characters for sun and moon are pretty generic looking. I can't see the girl protag tagging along with ash. Give Serena another hair change and outfit and bam

Please. I don't care for her current outfit. It's okay, but I liked her original design.

That being said, don't put that freaking glove on her head.

Kssio_Aug

It's worth it if you're really interested in competitive battling, and it's a good legendary. But for most people not worth it. SRing a perfect legendary can take a long time.

As for shiny, the only wild legendaries that can't be shiny in ORAS are the four linked to story/postgame story events. All of the others can be shiny, including Reshiram and Zekrom which couldn't be in Gen V.

None of the legendaries in X&Y can be shiny.

But it's really up to you if SRing is worth it, whether it be for stats or shinies.

Besides I do enjoy getting the best stuff in RPGs, I think this may be too much work for me. And I usually don't have too much time to play.

I may stick with the collecting and trading. I love this kind of stuff! =)
May also take a look at the breeding stuff... it sounds fun, but I have heard a lot in the contrary.

Seil

Besides I do enjoy getting the best stuff in RPGs, I think this may be too much work for me. And I usually don't have too much time to play.

I may stick with the collecting and trading. I love this kind of stuff! =)
May also take a look at the breeding stuff... it sounds fun, but I have heard a lot in the contrary.

Breeding can be fun, I rather like it when I'm in the mood for it and have ideas. But it can also be tedious/boring/annoying. Gen VI made improvements to breeding competitive Pokemon, though. But there are still some situations that can be a pain in the ass, like if you need to start with a baby that needs an incense for example. You'd have to leave out one of the two fundamental held items for breeding in that situation.

There's a lot to read up on about breeding mechanics, but once you've done that it's not that bad. It can look like a pretty nasty wall sometimes, though.

Kneefoil

I'm calling the Bat as Fairy/Dark. It's definitely got a more Dark-type vibe to it then it does a Psychic vibe in my opinion and GameFreak just changed all moves associated with the moon in Fairy types so it would be a pretty significant backpedal if they suddenly made THE moon Pokemon into a type that's not Fairy.

Yeah, it could also be a Fairy type. It's such a strange typing - I really don't have any kind of picture of what a Fairy type Pokémon should look like, unlike with all other types. I know that if a Pokémon is pink or a non-fighting humanoid, it's often at least partially Fairy, but then there are Pokémon like Azumarill and Mega Altaria that I cannot understand why they are Fairy types. I mean, other types have exceptions as well, but I feel like Fairy type has the most.

GoldStarz

Yeah, it could also be a Fairy type. It's such a strange typing - I really don't have any kind of picture of what a Fairy type Pokémon should look like, unlike with all other types. I know that if a Pokémon is pink or a non-fighting humanoid, it's often at least partially Fairy, but then there are Pokémon like Azumarill and Mega Altaria that I cannot understand why they are Fairy types. I mean, other types have exceptions as well, but I feel like Fairy type has the most.

Fairy has a lot of potential for what can be in it due to how lose it is but I like to break it down into small categories
  • Moon-related
  • Mystic
  • Related to Fae in Legends
  • Related to Fairy in Real World Application

Menitta

I'm sorry I keep posting about my feelings towards Advanced Generation.

I'm not enjoying the gym battles as much as Sinnoh. I don't know why, but I'm just not. The animation is virtually the same. A Pokemon with a glowing fist/wing/tail in front of some speedlines.

I'm also not enjoying contest as much as Sinnoh, but I think that's because the stuff that May and everyone else does isn't nearly as creative as what Dawn does. Also, I just like gen 4 Pokemon more.

Maybe Solgaleo, Lunaala and Marshadow(?) all share a common type and have a different secondary type?

Solgaleo - Psychic/Fire
Lunaala - Psychic/Flying (Fairy)
Marshadow - Psychic/Dark

I'm not enjoying the gym battles as much as Sinnoh. I don't know why, but I'm just not. The animation is virtually the same. A Pokemon with a glowing fist/wing/tail in front of some speedlines.

I'm also not enjoying contest as much as Sinnoh, but I think that's because the stuff that May and everyone else does isn't nearly as creative as what Dawn does. Also, I just like gen 4 Pokemon more.
I told you the battle frontier is the only good things about hoenn even the contests are better.

Illucio

Banned
Maybe Solgaleo, Lunaala and Marshadow(?) all share a common type and have a different secondary type?

Solgaleo - Psychic/Fire
Marshadow - Psychic/Dark

That would make sense considering the whole cosmic vibe we're getting.

What's interesting to note is that Mega Altaria loses Flying sub type in exchange for Fairy. Fairys have wings and can fly, so I can see why Fairy being interchangeable with Flying makes sense.

Fire / Fairy / Dark

GoldStarz

Solgaleo - Psychic/Fire
Marshadow - Psychic/Dark

My theory:

Fire/Psychic or Fire/Electric
Fairy/Dark
Ground/Water w/ Grass neutralizing ability or Ground/Grass

gardfish

Man, I REALLY hope that if Marshadow is real its name is different in English-speaking regions. I know that doesn't happen usually, but that name is way the hell too on-the-nose whether it's a Mars-themed legendary or an eclipse-themed legendary.

Kinsei

Banned
Man, I REALLY hope that if Marshadow is real its name is different in English-speaking regions. I know that doesn't happen usually, but that name is way the hell too on-the-nose whether it's a Mars-themed legendary or an eclipse-themed legendary.

Solgaleo (Sun, Lion, Galileo) and Lunala (Moon and Wing) aren't already too on the nose?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
god no I don't want too many psychic legendaries, isn't that like the second most abundant type next to dragon? or is it the other way around?

Kssio_Aug

I just reached Deoxys in ORAS, and decided to attack it with Rayquaza's Dragon Pulse, it killed him in one hit. o_O

Thing is... I know after beating Elite 4 again I can try to catch him again. However, do I lose anything for not capturing him in the 1st try?

Also... is it a good idea to use my Master Ball on it in my second encounter?

god no I don't want too many psychic legendaries, isn't that like the second most abundant type next to dragon? or is it the other way around?

yes, psychic is the most common legendary type, for 14 out of 53 (thanks bulbapedia!)

i think flying's next with 10 vs dragon's 9?

Menitta

I still have my Master ball in ORAS. I always use them on roaming Pokemon because fuck them.

I skipped up to the Hoenn league in AG. Fuck that Meowth. Now onto the best part of AG and soon after DP. I've been watching it in between study sessions (cuz finals) and If I manage to get to DP before my finals, im gonna stop, because I know I won't get enough work done.

Chase17

I just reached Deoxys in ORAS, and decided to attack it with Rayquaza's Dragon Pulse, it killed him in one hit. o_O

Thing is... I know after beating Elite 4 again I can try to catch him again. However, do I lose anything for not capturing him in the 1st try?

Also... is it a good idea to use my Master Ball on it in my second encounter?
I think you should be fine to just go back up to catch it. I believe you will just need to battle Zinnia again besides that there isn't any penalty.

As for using a master ball, there are worse mons to use it on. Personally, I only use my master ball if there is a wandering legend (which I don't believe there is in ORAS).

There aren't any roaming legends, but there are mirage spots which hosts various legendary pokemon.

You have to unlock them by having certain pokemon on your team. I won't say which for spoiler/challenge sake.

Chase17

I suppose there is one legendary in ORAS whose encounter method is just as bad as roaming Pokémon. Basically have to luck into it, and there's only one chance a day.

gardfish

Solgaleo (Sun, Lion, Galileo) and Lunala (Moon and Wing) aren't already too on the nose?

Solgaleo and Lunaala at least are hiding behind different languages and flow well, plus the Galileo connection is genuinely clever. Marshadow is literally just Mars and Shadow mashed together. Same reason Talonflame was a bad name.

If it's a Mars legendary I'm okay with the name of the planet being in there, but call it something like Marsumbra (okay that also sounds bad but you get the idea) instead.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I hope not otherwise I am not going to bother watching the Sun and Moon animé, I do not want to watch another round of "Kalos got Talent" but in Alolo.

Yeah Sinnoh was the best as Ash and Dawn bounced off each other, plus we had the whole Ash Vs Paul which I am still impress that they managed to nail the landing on despite the animé falling apart towards the end.

I coulda sworn there was one roaming Pokemon in ORAS.

You're probably thinking of Lati@s which used to be one in the original Hoenn game but they straight up give it to you.

I think that roaming legendary are dead.

Menitta

Yeah Sinnoh was the best as Ash and Dawn bounced off each other, plus we had the whole Ash Vs Paul which I am still impress that they managed to nail the landing on despite the animé falling apart towards the end.

Absolutely. They had the best chemistry. The main reason I don't care for Misty is because her and Ash constantly had fights with each other. Like, why does he even bother traveling with her?! It's a slightly less extreme reason as to why I hate Iris. May was alright, but she was just kinda...there. Ash and Dawn actually felt like friends.

May or Misty never did stuff like this:

giphy.gif

You're probably thinking of Lati@s which used to be one in the original Hoenn game but they straight up give it to you.

I think that roaming legendary are dead.

DanielBryan.gif

Top Bottom