• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
International info has been in-line with Coro Coro official releases lately, so there's no need to worry. Like you'd have 3-4 days of Japanese name.

When did the anime go HD? It was by Galactic Battles, right?

Edit:...so Ash jumpimg off Prism Tower doesn't seem as impressive anymore...

I thought it was BW?

Articalys

I must be one of the few people who's not really thirsting for new information and is happy enough to just let things get revealed whenever they will... besides, I'm guaranteed buying the game day 1 anyway and might as well try to go in as fresh as possible.

Is there any way to look up the full sum of what was officially revealed for XY (in terms of Pokemon, characters, plot, features) by launch day?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's not like the international release wouldn't have any relevant info. They tend to have stuff like English names and some other drizzling.

Is there any way to look up the full sum of what was officially revealed for XY (in terms of Pokemon, characters, plot, features) by launch day?

You'd need to take into account that XY were revealed earlier and by a month but Serebii has a list of Pokemon/Megas revealed before launch.

Regarding plot, I'm pretty sure Team Flare's motive wasn't revealed, and neither was Lysandre. Only half of the gym leaders were revealed (Viola, Grant, Clemont and Korrina) and Diantha was known, but wasn't confirmed as the champion, even though it was obvious.

I must be one of the few people who's not really thirsting for new information and is happy enough to just let things get revealed whenever they will... besides, I'm guaranteed buying the game day 1 anyway and might as well try to go in as fresh as possible.

January 2013- Pokémon Direct aired- reveals Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, Xerneas and Yveltal, along with the first gameplay footage. Youtube Link.
February 2013- Coro Coro reveals Sylveon, pointedly keeping its type a secret. Youtube Link
April 2013- Mega Mewtwo Y revealed, with almost no information beyond the design. Youtube Link
May 2013- The publicity starts in earnest. Fletchling, Helioptile, Gogoat and Pancham are revealed, along with trainer customisation, riding Pokémon, Lumiose City etc. Youtube Link.
June 2013- X and Y featured in the E3 Direct. Noivern and Vivillon are revealed, along with Fairy-type and Pokémon-Amie. Youtube Link
June 2013- Mere hours after the Direct, a developer roundtable is held at E3, revealing Clauncher, Skrelp and Talonflame, along with Sky Battles and Horde Battles. Youtube Link
June 2013 (again)- Coro Coro comes out and reveals Litleo, Flabébé, Scatterbug and Spewpa, along with Viola, Shauna, Tierno and Trevor, and confirming rollerskating. Youtube Link
July 2013- Masuda sends a message to Japan Expo, revealing Honedge. Youtube Link
July 2013- Coro Coro reveals Inkay, Malamar, Pangoro, Spritzee and Swirlix, along with Professor Sycamore, Team Flare, Clemont and Grant. The magazine promises "the scoop of the century" for August. Youtube Link
July 2013- The Genesect movie releases in Japanese theatres, along with a trailer featuring Trevenant.
August 2013- Coro Coro reveals its big scoop- Mega Evolution. The concept is introduced, and Mega Lucario, Mega Blaziken, Mega Ampharos, Mega Mawile and Mega Absol are revealed, alongside a confirmation that Mega Mewtwo Y is a Mega. In addition, Skiddo, Dedenne and Bunnelby are revealed, along with Korrina and the existence of Super Training. Youtube Link 1 Youtube Link 2
August 2013- At the World Championship opening ceremony, Masuda reveals Mega Kangaskhan.
September 2013- A Pokémon Direct airs, revealing Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard Y and Mega Blastoise, as well as Pokémon Bank. Youtube Link
September 2013- Coro Coro reveals Quilladin, Braixen, Frogadier, Tyrunt, Amaura, Furfrou, Meowstic, Mega Garchomp and Mega Mewtwo X, along with Diantha, the Team Flare Scientists and the reorganised Type Chart. Youtube Link IGN also reveals Pyroar shortly afterwards.
September 2013- Jeux Video and IGN reveal Aurorus and Tyrantrum, respectively.
September 2013- The Pokémon Facebook page reveals Doublade.
October 2013- Pokémon Origins airs, bringing with it the reveal of Mega Charizard X. Youtube Link
October 2013- A Japanese Pamphlet reveals Aromatisse and Slurpuff.

That's basically the lot. Coro Coro revealed the vast majority of the Pokémon and Megas in its October edition, but that came out after the games launched.

Man, June 2013 was a crazy month. Three different sets of reveals, all basically happening at the same time.

I'm actually inclined to think they revealed too much in the runup to X and Y, mind- certainly, with the reduced amount of new Pokémon they could have stood to keep a few of them back.

I'm just praying we get 100~ new Pokemon but I've got a feeling that they're going to count Megas as new 'Mon in the games from here on out so we'll probably get 70~ again and 30~ Megas :(

Articalys

Oh wow, that's a lot more detailed layout than I was expecting, thanks.

I admit though, I was more interested in the overall balance of how much of each element of the game they revealed, so while those videos do cover most of the new 'mon/mega announcements, I'll guess I'll need to go back and check the Corocoro issues to see what exactly they said about the character/mechanics/world at each point along the way, since that's where those details all seem to be.

I do think that there's a distinct possibility that we'll get more new Pokémon this time out.

The sheer, time-consuming nature of cobbling together models for more than 700 Pokémon, formes and all, and programming animations and Pokémon-amie stuff for them shouldn't be underestimated, and that's a huge workload that they can largely reuse this time out. It definitely feels like they'll be stretched less thinly.

Kssio_Aug

I'm playing Pokemon ORAS, have already finished Delta Episode but I'm unsure of what exactly should I do now. I got some Lucky Eggs to help my pokemons to gain EXP, and then I was thinking about using my current team to level up on Elite 4 Rematch.

However, they're quite weak against the Elite 4 Rematch pokemons, and I was thinking if I should add some of my strongest pokemons such as Rayaquaza in my team. But than I remembered that I should not use my Rayaquaza just yet, if I don't want to mess with EV.

So... can someone help me about what's the best thing I should do now? Should I EV train the pokemons I want? Is there somewhere I can find the best EVs each pokemon should be trained?

Menitta

It's really hard feeling bad for any of the main characters when they lose a Grand Festival or Pokemon League when I'm accustomed to it.

Articalys

You can reset EVs with the friendship berries or (if you're willing to sink the time into it) getting a Reset Bag from Super Training, so you don't have to worry about misallocating them.

http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

If you're not playing hyper-competitive online battles (or taking on the Battle Maison) then you don't really need to min-max EVs towards a specific build, so you could just focus on whatever stats would benefit the most for the role you want it to play in your team and however strong you want that role to be -- if you want it to hit harder, put more EVs into Speed and Attack/Special Attack (depending on which moves you use); if you want it to last longer in battle, HP and Def/SpDef, and so on.

I mean I guess if you wanted to you could use Smogon as a starting point but all their stuff is geared towards online/tournament formats and the metagames therein.

Kssio_Aug

You can reset EVs with the friendship berries or (if you're willing to sink the time into it) getting a Reset Bag from Super Training, so you don't have to worry about misallocating them.

http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

If you're not playing hyper-competitive online battles (or taking on the Battle Maison) then you don't really need to min-max EVs towards a specific build, so you could just focus on whatever stats would benefit the most for the role you want it to play in your team and however strong you want that role to be -- if you want it to hit harder, put more EVs into Speed and Attack/Special Attack (depending on which moves you use); if you want it to last longer in battle, HP and Def/SpDef, and so on.

I mean I guess if you wanted to you could use Smogon as a starting point but all their stuff is geared towards online/tournament formats and the metagames therein.

Thanks! That will help!
I just read a bit about the berries and reset bag, they seem hard to get! =o

Since all my pokemons probably have bad IVs and Nature, I think I will just mess with breeding and EV training without worries. I was fearing to use my new starters (after Delta Episode) and mess their stats, but I believe I can always breed one with better nature and IV anyway, right?

Menitta

Damn, I'm almost done Battle Frontier. Ash is having his 2nd (technically 3rd) battle with Brandon. I just blew threw it within a few days. I've got a few episodes left. I kinda cheated cuz I skipped an entire season, but to go through all of Battle Frontier within 3 days is impressive.

I can just feel the Gen 4 coming. Gary is in Sinnoh, and a bunch of Gen 4 Pokemon are appearing. Can't wait, but I must for I have final exams, my own Pokemon League.

finally managed to find a good gif from the last pokemon tv section

tumblr_o72gxjknVI1r8sc3ro2_500.gif

Menitta

Done Gen 3. I give it an overall 7/10. It was very slow for most of it and a lot of episodes had almost nothing happening in them. It was saved by Battle Frontier.

I wish the final season of each generation was structured like Battle Frontier. Ash beats all of the gyms and the villain team in the first 3 seasons and the 4th, he challenges the Elite 4 with the champion. He wins and is entered into the Hall of Fame while turning down the position of Champion. It would be a much better payoff than...losing.

Had one of the best send-off episodes ever though. Ash and May face off in a casual Pokemon Contest. Really cool.

Edit: Welp, I'm screwed. My finger accidentally hit play on episode one of DP...

DAWN IS THE BEST!!!!

PokemonDiamondandPearl1-065.gif

I'm loving the Jojo style To Be Continued's. They fit perfectly with Roundabout.

Articalys

Thanks! That will help!
I just read a bit about the berries and reset bag, they seem hard to get! =o

Since all my pokemons probably have bad IVs and Nature, I think I will just mess with breeding and EV training without worries. I was fearing to use my new starters (after Delta Episode) and mess their stats, but I believe I can always breed one with better nature and IV anyway, right?
I've spent the last several days doing almost nothing in-game but farming berries in XY, so I can trade you any of those EV berries if you want, then you can grow however many more you need.

Breeding for nature and IVs can be tedious (the former less so than the latter), so unless you're taking something online or to the Maison, I'd personally just leave the matter alone. But again that's just my opinion as a more casual player.

-SNIP-

That's basically the lot. Coro Coro revealed the vast majority of the Pokémon and Megas in its October edition, but that came out after the games launched.

Man, June 2013 was a crazy month. Three different sets of reveals, all basically happening at the same time.

I'm actually inclined to think they revealed too much in the runup to X and Y, mind- certainly, with the reduced amount of new Pokémon they could have stood to keep a few of them back.

Hopefully they start doing nice sized reveals monthly starting in June. They have six months, so hopefully they use them wisely.

January 2013- Pokémon Direct aired- reveals Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, Xerneas and Yveltal, along with the first gameplay footage. Youtube Link.
February 2013- Coro Coro reveals Sylveon, pointedly keeping its type a secret. Youtube Link
April 2013- Mega Mewtwo Y revealed, with almost no information beyond the design. Youtube Link
May 2013- The publicity starts in earnest. Fletchling, Helioptile, Gogoat and Pancham are revealed, along with trainer customisation, riding Pokémon, Lumiose City etc. Youtube Link.
June 2013- X and Y featured in the E3 Direct. Noivern and Vivillon are revealed, along with Fairy-type and Pokémon-Amie. Youtube Link
June 2013- Mere hours after the Direct, a developer roundtable is held at E3, revealing Clauncher, Skrelp and Talonflame, along with Sky Battles and Horde Battles. Youtube Link
June 2013 (again)- Coro Coro comes out and reveals Litleo, Flabébé, Scatterbug and Spewpa, along with Viola, Shauna, Tierno and Trevor, and confirming rollerskating. Youtube Link
July 2013- Masuda sends a message to Japan Expo, revealing Honedge. Youtube Link
July 2013- Coro Coro reveals Inkay, Malamar, Pangoro, Spritzee and Swirlix, along with Professor Sycamore, Team Flare, Clemont and Grant. The magazine promises "the scoop of the century" for August. Youtube Link
July 2013- The Genesect movie releases in Japanese theatres, along with a trailer featuring Trevenant.
August 2013- Coro Coro reveals its big scoop- Mega Evolution. The concept is introduced, and Mega Lucario, Mega Blaziken, Mega Ampharos, Mega Mawile and Mega Absol are revealed, alongside a confirmation that Mega Mewtwo Y is a Mega. In addition, Skiddo, Dedenne and Bunnelby are revealed, along with Korrina and the existence of Super Training. Youtube Link 1 Youtube Link 2
August 2013- At the World Championship opening ceremony, Masuda reveals Mega Kangaskhan.
September 2013- A Pokémon Direct airs, revealing Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard Y and Mega Blastoise, as well as Pokémon Bank. Youtube Link
September 2013- Coro Coro reveals Quilladin, Braixen, Frogadier, Tyrunt, Amaura, Furfrou, Meowstic, Mega Garchomp and Mega Mewtwo X, along with Diantha, the Team Flare Scientists and the reorganised Type Chart. Youtube Link IGN also reveals Pyroar shortly afterwards.
September 2013- Jeux Video and IGN reveal Aurorus and Tyrantrum, respectively.
September 2013- The Pokémon Facebook page reveals Doublade.
October 2013- Pokémon Origins airs, bringing with it the reveal of Mega Charizard X. Youtube Link
October 2013- A Japanese Pamphlet reveals Aromatisse and Slurpuff.

This is amazing. I hope Gen 7 follows this trend of monthly reveals leading up to release.

I'm tired of the old way (thinking of Persona 5) of doing things where you get one bit of info then it'll be months before your next batch of info.

For me, getting monthly reveals of new Pokémon or Mega's doesn't spoil the game for me..

Can anyone recognise the Pokemon to the left when the player is leaving his house? I doubt it's new but I can't tell. It's the only scene that isn't in the international trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WxCKssPs3E

Might be a new Pokémon. I can't think of any Pokémon that fits those ears and tail combined.

Closes thing I can think of is Eevee and that's pushing it.

Edit: Don't take my word for it. I'm looking on my phone. We need Joe on this one.

Chase17

Done with finals so it's finally time to get back to going through the XY anime. Think I left off just a few episodes from Olympia so it shouldn't take too long to get back into it.

That's definitely a newbie in the Coro Coro trailer. Looks like a dog to me- maybe a Pomeranian.

This is amazing. I hope Gen 7 follows this trend of monthly reveals leading up to release.

I'm tired of the old way (thinking of Persona 5) of doing things where you get one bit of info then it'll be months before your next batch of info.

For me, getting monthly reveals of new Pokémon or Mega's doesn't spoil the game for me..

This is how the Pokémon franchise has always done it- certainly Black and White and Diamond and Pearl got monthly reveals and infodumps every month in the last six months before launch, and I'm pretty sure they did the same before even that.

It might be maddening when they keep their cards close to their chests, but when they start giving news for new games they properly go for it.

WPS

That's definitely a newbie in the Coro Coro trailer. Looks like a dog to me- maybe a Pomeranian.

I agree. I thought it was a deer at first, but I was mistaking the trainer next to it's shoes for horns.

Brown dog suggests early game to me, so I bet we hear about it within a month.

International info has been in-line with Coro Coro official releases lately, so there's no need to worry. Like you'd have 3-4 days of Japanese name.

I thought it was BW?

In the middle of the Sinnoh saga.

(IIRC, off an old Bulbapedia page: the anime went to digital colouring mid-Johto and upped the maximum frame rate to 30 beginning with DP. Dunno how true both are.)

Menitta

In the middle of the Sinnoh saga.

(IIRC, off an old Bulbapedia page: the anime went to digital colouring mid-Johto and upped the maximum frame rate to 30 beginning with DP. Dunno how true both are.)

Great. So my low quality player is going to turn to shit when I get there...

I definitely remember the first episode with Rotom looking great. That was a standout moment for me.

This is how the Pokémon franchise has always done it- certainly Black and White and Diamond and Pearl got monthly reveals and infodumps every month in the last six months before launch, and I'm pretty sure they did the same before even that.

It might be maddening when they keep their cards close to their chests, but when they start giving news for new games they properly go for it.

Thanks for the info. Before Gen 6 I only played the OG Gen 2 and 1. For Gen one the games were already out when I started watching the anime and for Gen 2 it felt like it came out pretty fast afterwards.

When Gen 6 came around I didn't follow it like I do games I'm interested for whatever reason. It's good to know that this is how gamefreak manages the prerelease for new Pokémon games. I definitely dig it.

Kssio_Aug

I've spent the last several days doing almost nothing in-game but farming berries in XY, so I can trade you any of those EV berries if you want, then you can grow however many more you need.

Breeding for nature and IVs can be tedious (the former less so than the latter), so unless you're taking something online or to the Maison, I'd personally just leave the matter alone. But again that's just my opinion as a more casual player.

I didn't know you could trade items!
I'd like to get some of these berries if you can! Or... if they're easy to get in-game, I could get them myself.

I'm enjoying a lot the GTS stuff. I got 5 Throh, since they're OR exclusive, and changed all of them really fast by some AS exclusives. Love their trading systems!

Articalys

I didn't know you could trade items!
I'd like to get some of these berries if you can! Or... if they're easy to get in-game, I could get them myself.

I'm enjoying a lot the GTS stuff. I got 5 Throh, since they're OR exclusive, and changed all of them really fast by some AS exclusives. Love their trading systems!
Of the six EV berries, four of them are already planted on Route 123, and all six of them are among the daily random berries you can get from talking to the berry guy on the same route. I don't know how much you explored or if you already got them and used them, but if not they should still be there.

You can't trade items directly, but you can have a Pokemon hold something and then trade it. So we'd both need a handful of extra random low-level whatevers to use as the holders.

(Incidentally, if you do want to trade and have any spares of the contest stat berries -- these guys here -- I'd be grateful if you could trade those in return, since those don't exist in XY at all.)
One thing I'd like is for them to just axe wonder trade. I used it maybe twice.
You're one of these people, aren't you.

Menitta

You =/= the world, wonder trade I believe is used wayyyyyy more than super training and amie

I was unaware. Every time I used it, I got nothing but shit, so I stopped. Granted, it can be useful because GTS was filled with Lvl 1-9 Reshiram requests.

No, I'm not. I actually offered good stuff, but when I get shit in return, I stopped altogether.

I'll have to try again, I guess. When I did use wonder trade, it was relatively close to launch.

Kssio_Aug

Of the six EV berries, four of them are already planted on Route 123, and all six of them are among the daily random berries you can get from talking to the berry guy on the same route. I don't know how much you explored or if you already got them and used them, but if not they should still be there.

You can't trade items directly, but you can have a Pokemon hold something and then trade it. So we'd both need a handful of extra random low-level whatevers to use as the holders.

(Incidentally, if you do want to trade and have any spares of the contest stat berries -- these guys here -- I'd be grateful if you could trade those in return, since those don't exist in XY at all.)

I have these contest berries to spare: corn, nanab, pinap and razz.

Just went to route 123, and those are the EV barries I got: hondew and pomeg (only).
I'd need Grepa, Kelpsy, Qualot and Tamato berries.

If you want, add me: 5086-4081-2425

I would need to capture some basic pokemon first, but we can do it any time we're both available and ready. =)

jnWake

One thing I'd like is for them to just axe wonder trade. I used it maybe twice.

Why would you want such an unoffensive feature to be removed. You get a lot of crap through Wonder Trade but I've also got several starters with hidden abilities and good IVs so I can't complain. Also got a hacked shiny Magikarp.

I have a box where I keep all the Scatterbug I get too. Vivillion patterns will be mine!

Articalys

I have these contest berries to spare: corn, nanab, pinap and razz.

Just went to route 123, and those are the EV barries I got: hondew and pomeg (only).
I'd need Grepa, Kelpsy, Qualot and Tamato berries.

If you want, add me: 5086-4081-2425

I would need to capture some basic pokemon first, but we can do it any time we're both available and ready. =)
Sure, any time later this weekend is fine. Just let me know whenever via PM.

GoldStarz

We got over half the Pokemon of the generation revealed including Megas, there was basically no new surprises when it came to Pokemon in the first generation in a long time where people in the fandom could be surprised.

I'm sure you don't understand this since Gen VI, but because of the JP and US dates being different it was impossible not to know what was gonna happen in the game unless you blacked out for months. Gen VI gave us the first opportunity to avoid this and they spoiled basically everything.

What Gen VIII doing isn't what Gen VI is doing but it's far from just leaving us dry.

Kssio_Aug

I was wondering if they intend to allow us transfer Mega Stones with Pokebank or something. I think it would be better than filling every game with more and more stones to re-collect.

Sure, any time later this weekend is fine. Just let me know whenever via PM.
Sure!! =)

Chase17

I was wondering if they intend to allow us transfer Mega Stones with Pokebank or something. I think it would be better than filling every game with more and more stones to re-collect.
That's a good point. Would be collecting overload pretty soon.

Maybe they could put in a mega stone store or something, for all that can't be found on routes in the game.

Get rid of Wonder Trade? vadernoo.gif

Aside from the fun of throwing something out there to get something in return, it is a place to discard and receive EV breeding rejects, ensuring that they find a good home instead of being released en masse.

Doesn't Bank prevent the transfer of items? They could just make a universal mega stone that works for all to prevent bloat, but then that would cause issues with Pokemon with two megas.

Menitta

Get rid of Wonder Trade? vadernoo.gif

Aside from the fun of throwing something out there to get something in return, it is a place to discard and receive EV breeding rejects, ensuring that they find a good home instead of being released en masse.

Welp. The more I know.

Someone is really happy right now because they just got a shiny Chatot

We got over half the Pokemon of the generation revealed including Megas, there was basically no new surprises when it came to Pokemon in the first generation in a long time where people in the fandom could be surprised.

I'm sure you don't understand this since Gen VI, but because of the JP and US dates being different it was impossible not to know what was gonna happen in the game unless you blacked out for months. Gen VI gave us the first opportunity to avoid this and they spoiled basically everything.

What Gen VIII doing isn't what Gen VI is doing but it's far from just leaving us dry.

Like I said in a post above this is actually the first time I'm following a new Gen or new Pokémon game this far in advance.

I get it. I've followed plenty of games that were released in Japan far before coming over to the west. Most recently Xenoblade Chronicles X.

For me

Seeing new Pokémon, new evolutions, and Megas doesn't spoil anything for me. The same with glimpses of new areas.

What I would consider a spoiler is story and plot spoilers and to a somewhat lesser extent character spoilers.

Like I said in a post above this is actually the first time I'm following a new Gen or new Pokémon game this far in advance.

I get it. I've followed plenty of games that were released in Japan far before coming over to the west. Most recently Xenoblade Chronicles X.

For me

Seeing new Pokémon, new evolutions, and Megas doesn't spoil anything for me. The same with glimpses of new areas.

What I would consider a spoiler is story and plot spoilers and to a somewhat lesser extent character spoilers.
But the plot isn't the main part of Pokémon as it is in RPGs like Xenoblade. Due to Pokémon stories being quite generic, I'd say that in a way the characters, mechanics, Pokémon, and region are bigger spoilers than the plot. I don't particularly mind ethier way but I would prefer if they continued the trend of not revealing as much as fast about SM compared to XY.

Top Bottom