• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Menitta

The only non-Starter, non-Legendary Pokemon you couldn't get in Diamond and Pearl were Tropius and Tangela, oddly enough.

But there were various Pokemon who would only appear if you had a GBA game in the DS' slot, so technically they can't be gotten through DP alone...

They're finding freaking Nuzleaf and Shiftry prior to Oreburgh City. You could only catch them in Route 229 with RSE inserted in the GBA slot.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dawn is the freaking best.

Paul-paul-shinji-17895342-320-240.gif

Edit: I don't understand how one can "dodge" lightning.

GoldStarz

Like I said in a post above this is actually the first time I'm following a new Gen or new Pokémon game this far in advance.

I get it. I've followed plenty of games that were released in Japan far before coming over to the west. Most recently Xenoblade Chronicles X.

For me

Seeing new Pokémon, new evolutions, and Megas doesn't spoil anything for me. The same with glimpses of new areas.

What I would consider a spoiler is story and plot spoilers and to a somewhat lesser extent character spoilers.

The only games where story and characters were really prominent and could have spoilers were in Gen V though, and that was the last game before TPCi decided on universal release dates. Honestly new Pokemon are what make up the vast majority of the game.

Dedenne is easily the best Pika clone. Plusle and Minun are probably my least favorite, but even then they're ok.

There's no such thing as a bad Pika Clone tbh, all of them have something good about them. Plusle and Minun are definitely the weakest though, not helped by the fact that they're the first ones that aren't actually related to Pikachu.

Seil

There's no such thing as a bad Pika Clone tbh, all of them have something good about them. Plusle and Minun are definitely the weakest though, not helped by the fact that they're the first ones that aren't actually related to Pikachu.

A lot of people, myself included, consider Marill to be Gen II's "pika clone". Pichu being related to Pikachu kind of takes away the core role of a pika clone, and it's not even available for capture within the region and instead must be bred.

But there are people that feel the opposite, too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
A lot of people, myself included, consider Marill to be Gen II's "pika clone". Pichu being related to Pikachu kind of takes away the core role of a pika clone, and it's not even available for capture within the region and instead must be bred.

But there are people that feel the opposite, too.

Correction, Pichu is the Pikaclone of Gen 2 and the first one. Gen VI even acknowledges that.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The only non-Starter, non-Legendary Pokemon you couldn't get in Diamond and Pearl were Tropius and Tangela, oddly enough.

But there were various Pokemon who would only appear if you had a GBA game in the DS' slot, so technically they can't be gotten through DP alone...

Still better than Ruby and Sapphire when they first released.

Pachi is above mere mortal senses

9kflpQi.png

I will never grow tired of the fact that Pachirisu won the tournament.

Pachi sucks..Behold best rodent..

pokemongifs.tumblr.com%2Bpage%2Btumblr_mtm33l1uli1sgqxr8o1_500.gif

Pfft come back when Dedenne wins a tournament.

Seil

there's a theme called "Pikachu and Friends" for the XY menu

in fact, it's so specific that there's a troll image with a fake Marill sticker included in it

That BG is just called "Stickers", all that really proves is for that BG they wanted to use the electric ones on a yellow background.

At the end of the day, "pikaclone" is something the community uses, and plenty of people consider Marill to be part of the set.

Hell, Marill was one of the first Gen II Pokemon we saw, and they even shoved it into the anime with Tracey. It's pretty easy to consider it a counterpart to Pikachu, it's a "mouse" Pokemon, it's cute and marketable. Really the only thing that stands in its way is the fact it's not electric type. And that it came to be in a time where Raichu hadn't become entirely irrelevant yet, so it also has an Evolution x.x

Seil

Pikaclones don't evolve, are all electric have yellow stuffed in somewhere. I wouldn't consider marill one, haven't seen many people do it either.

Lots of people have ever since it became a thing, search on the internet x.x Hell, it was called Pikablu by people before its name was known, that even made it into the Topps cards I think lol.

Also Pichu clearly isn't one either by your logic, since it evolves.

Lots of people have ever since it became a thing, search on the internet x.x Hell, it was called Pikablu by people before its name was known, that even made it into the Topps cards I think lol.

Also Pichu clearly isn't one either by your logic, since it evolves.
Of course pichu isn't one its primary focus was to be introduced into the "baby" category.
Plusel and minun,pacharisu,emolga,dedenne are what most consider pikaclones. Pikachu,pichu and raichu are a family

Seil

Of course pichu isn't one its primary focus was to be introduced into the "baby" category.
Plusel and minun,pacharisu,emolga,dedenne are what most consider pikaclones. Pikachu,pichu and raichu are a family

Two other people in this conversation have referenced Pichu being the pika clone of Gen 2, so you're just proving that people have differing opinions of what falls into the category.

I just thought of something...

You know how Gen V games can have its mons sent to Pokémon Bank in a one-way trip via Poke Transporter, no?

I'm thinking that you might be able to skip Gen VI and have the Gen V Pokémon go straight to Sun/Moon that way. Think it's a possibility?

Seil

I just thought of something...

You know how Gen V games can have its mons sent to Pokémon Bank in a one-way trip via Poke Transporter, no?

I'm thinking that you might be able to skip Gen VI and have the Gen V Pokémon go straight to Sun/Moon that way. Think it's a possibility?

There may be no "skipping Gen VI" involved.

Transporter will put them in Bank like it already does. You'd then be able to withdraw them in Gen 6 if you want, or Gen 7 if you want.

I figure if they don't change the data structure for the Pokemon for Gen VII, then only Pokemon that can't normally exist in Gen VI will be locked from Gen VI, like new moves etc.

If they do change the data structure for Gen VII, then they'd probably make it so any Pokemon that have been moved to Gen VII are converted and become incompatible with Gen VI and thus can only be withdrawn in Gen VII.

They may set it so anything brought up from the VC games is only compatible with Gen VII either way, though. But it's all speculation at this point.

Menitta

You'd be amazed at how perfect Roundabout fits at the end of episodes.

Edit: Where the hell does Team Rocket get this shit?! Evolving machine that doubles as Gundam.

Seil

You'd be amazed at how perfect Roundabout fits at the end of episodes.

Edit: Where the hell does Team Rocket get this shit?! Evolving machine that doubles as Gundam.

They get it from the rest of the otherwise mostly competent organized crime syndicate. Remember, they once had their membership revoked because they'd taken so many loans and were in such bad debt. Then they had the Delibird collecting from them lol.

Edit: They're actually pretty good at scamming and even making honest money. If they'd just forget about Pikachu they'd be mostly fine. That's when their plans usually go awry.

Menitta

They get it from the rest of the otherwise mostly competent organized crime syndicate. Remember, they once had their membership revoked because they'd taken so many loans and were in such bad debt. Then they had the Delibird collecting from them lol.

But why does an evolution machine also turn into a mecha?! I know about the loans, but who designs that stuff?

Seil

But why does an evolution machine also turn into a mecha?! I know about the loans, but who designs that stuff?

Crazy awesome team rocket scientists perhaps. Or Meowth. Certainly not Jessie or James.

Note how frequently they manage to get back their balloons and subs and shit after it gets destroyed too, either one of them is really good at repairs or they have someone taking care of all that =p

Menitta

Crazy awesome team rocket scientists perhaps. Or Meowth. Certainly not Jessie or James.

Note how frequently they manage to get back their balloons and subs and shit after it gets destroyed too, either one of them is really good at repairs or they have someone taking care of all that =p

Meowth definitely remakes the balloons, but not all the crazy inventions. They had a manual with the mecha in particular.

GoldStarz

Pikablu was the first pikaclone tho

That BG is just called "Stickers", all that really proves is for that BG they wanted to use the electric ones on a yellow background.

At the end of the day, "pikaclone" is something the community uses, and plenty of people consider Marill to be part of the set.

Hell, Marill was one of the first Gen II Pokemon we saw, and they even shoved it into the anime with Tracey. It's pretty easy to consider it a counterpart to Pikachu, it's a "mouse" Pokemon, it's cute and marketable. Really the only thing that stands in its way is the fact it's not electric type. And that it came to be in a time where Raichu hadn't become entirely irrelevant yet, so it also has an Evolution x.x

'Pikablu' was never a Pikaclone, and the only reason people consider it one is because of a playground rumor that I doubt ever made it's way back to Japan.

Marill isn't a Pikaclone and was never intended to be.

Seil

'Pikablu' was never a Pikaclone, and the only reason people consider it one is because of a playground rumor that I doubt ever made it's way back to Japan.

The Pikablu thing didn't take off around me at all, most people I knew didn't know that was a thing til way after we knew about Marill. Yet every one of us considered it a clear counterpart to Pikachu, and until Gen III happened with Minun and Plusle we wondered if we'd get another Type like Fire thrown into the mix.

Kyzer

Banned
First of all, as of Gen 2 there was no such thing as Pikaclones, so to say whether or not it was one is kind of difficult, even more so when you consider there's no official categorization of Pokemon as "pikaclones", so its totally up to us to decide what it is.

Second of all, marril was literally referred to as pikablu because of its visual similarities to pikachu at the time, and people assuming it was a water type relative. So I'm not sure how you can argue it isn't one by the same standards, and especially given the context that it is literally the first non pikachu line Pokemon to be thought to be related to pikachu.

Anyways it doesn't matter. At all.

Any definition of what isn't and isn't a pikaclone is totally arbitrary and fan-made

Menitta

The internet has ruined the days of playground rumors.

Kssio_Aug

To be honest I do not follow the Pokemon fan base too much, that said I discovered just now that there are such a thing as "Pikaclone" label stuff. However, when I was a younger, I totally believed Marill would be a water type Pikachu.

About that "playground rumor" thing, I have no idea what it is / was.

Top Bottom