• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Mr-Joker

Banned
Why? What's so "inmaturily mature" about it?

Well considering the developer says this;

Pokémon Apex is developed with an adult Pokémon fan in mind. The game contains some adult dialogue (some swearing) and themes (death, abandonment), and some minor horror elements.

None of those elements scream "mature" nor does it needs to be shoehorned into a Pokémon game.

Plus Pokémon has already dealt with death, abandonment and has some horror elements with the Ghost Pokémon Pokédex entry and with Giratina story in Platinum. Heck Pokémon touched on the topic of creation during gen 4, with the Johto remake straight up showing Arceus creating life.

Why? What's so "inmaturily mature" about it?

"Pokémon Apex is developed with an adult Pokémon fan in mind. The game contains some adult dialogue (some swearing) and themes (death, abandonment), and some minor horror elements."

owtheedge.jpg

"The story begins with the player controlling a kid in a regular, normal city. One day, you’re magically transported to another world, full of demons (the Pokémon) and a cult who are trying to destroy the world."

So, just like every kid's fanfic where they wanna prove how "adult" they are. Don't quit your dayjob, Nate...whatever that is.

Articalys

I really hope berry mechanics stick around for Sun/Moon, maybe revamped a bit. Ignored them for my entire main playthrough in XY (mostly because it was only in one location and I was waiting until I got Fly, by which point I had forgotten about it), but coming back to it in the postgame I realized they were an infinite source of Full Heals and Ethers, plus the EV-resetting berries and as Juice Shop ingredients.

Also it was kind of fun to cultivate them.

I hope they streamline it

yes, it was fun playing psuedo-harvest moon, but it got pretty tiring having to water every single tree every certain amount of hours

even worst if they were spread everywhere

Well considering the developer says this;

None of those elements scream "mature" nor does it needs to be shoehorned into a Pokémon game.

Plus Pokémon has already dealt with death, abandonment and has some horror elements with the Ghost Pokémon Pokédex entry and with Giratina story in Platinum. Heck Pokémon touched on the topic of creation during gen 4, with the Johto remake straight up showing Arceus creating life.

None of it screams inmaturity either. It all depends on how its implemented. Nor what is in Gen4 is mature either. You are right it doesnt need it, but it is a fan Project anyway. I dont think its like it would hurt the series or something to get upset.

"Pokémon Apex is developed with an adult Pokémon fan in mind."

Nearly cut myself on this line alone.

"The game contains some adult dialogue (some swearing) and themes (death, abandonment), and some minor horror elements."

okay.jpg

---

I'm sure the dev is working hard on this fangame and all, but describing it in this way screams "teen who doesn't want to be seen as kiddy and thinks adult games mean swearing and dark themes".

"swearing"

"Pokémon Apex is developed with an adult Pokémon fan in mind."

Nearly cut myself on this line alone.

"The game contains some adult dialogue (some swearing) and themes (death, abandonment), and some minor horror elements."

okay.jpg

---

I'm sure the dev is working hard on this fangame and all, but describing it in this way screams "teen who doesn't want to be seen as kiddy and thinks adult games mean swearing and dark themes".

"swearing"

Do you think that they say...

*looks around*

..."damn?"

Do you think that they say...

*looks around*

..."damn?"
whoa there partner, this ain't HBO

Ca7LPJP.gif

No idea if this is a good place or not but are these good stats for my celebi I have been sring?

31x/31/31/28/31

Bold nature

I ended up keeping a mew yesterday with 31/x/31/31/30/30 @calm nature.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Today's episode was both hype and somber holy shit.

We got Hawlucha taking on Obamasnow and then LIKE BEYBLADE AVALUGG FUCK YEAH! AND ICE MONSTER GETTING FROZEN WITH NINJA SHURIKENS! Oh and Ash dying.

And Shota's pedestal view of Ash being broken.

Also fuck that depressing preview. Just silence.

Also hilariously enough, in the OP of XY&Z it was Greninja leaving Ash. Turns out, it was Ash leaving Greninja!

Also

KMWikkG.jpg

EDIT: webm form https://a.pomf.cat/fimeel.webm

WPS

We got Hawlucha taking on Obamasnow and then LIKE BEYBLADE AVALUGG FUCK YEAH! AND ICE MONSTER GETTING FROZEN WITH NINJA SHURIKENS! Oh and Ash dying.

I don't follow the show to any extent other then reading this thread, but it seems to me that Synchro whatever is really pushing the dangerous half of the traditional anime super-powerful-both-health-drawbacks technique without really making it that strong.

It's going to be hilarious if the end result is them deciding "You know what, this technique genuinely isn't worth it" and the series discards it. Synchro ends up as something possible within universe but the games never implement it because no sane trainer would bother compared to Mega Evolution.

JoeM86

I don't follow the show to any extent other then reading this thread, but it seems to me that Synchro whatever is really pushing the dangerous half of the traditional anime super-powerful-both-health-drawbacks technique without really making it that strong.

It's going to be hilarious if the end result is them deciding "You know what, this technique genuinely isn't worth it" and the series discards it. Synchro ends up as something possible within universe but the games never implement it because no sane trainer would bother compared to Mega Evolution.

Ash nearly completely destroyed Diantha's Mega Gardevoir when Greninja hit full Synchro. Ash just hasn't mastered it yet, so he keeps falling out of sync with Greninja, causing him to pass out and end the match.

It seems he'll master it on June 2nd, which happens to be when the next Sun & Moon news comes.

Is it too soon to be worried about the lack of Detective Pikachu episode 2 news?

You read my mind
https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/733235119545290752

JoeM86

It feels weird to have Mega Evolution (and Primal Reversion) and also this potential new thing on top of it.

How so?

They're all pretty much the same thing :p The difference is in activation.

Mega Evolution is when you activate it.
Primal Reversion is automatic and immediate
Synchro appears to be when in a pinch, but obviously game mechanics are unclear right now.

The end result is the same, a temporary evolution with a boost.

I'm remembering how the end of Pokemon Origins coincided exactly with the reveal of Mega Charizard X, and that it wouldn't surprise me if they made some announcement to coincide with a key moment in the upcoming episode...

brinstar

How so?

Synchro appears to be when in a pinch, but obviously game mechanics are unclear right now.

Yeah I guess. I'm just wondering how they'll differentiate it. In the end I'm always cool with the additions they make to the series.'

gardfish

How so?

Idk, this is exactly why I'm skeptical about this synchro thing. Primal Reversion was understandable from a lore perspective, but synchro doesn't really feel differentiated from Mega Evolution enough to make it interesting. Obviously we haven't seen how it plays into the games yet, but will it really be unique enough that the designs used for it couldn't have just been Mega Evolutions instead?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Idk, this is exactly why I'm skeptical about this synchro thing. Primal Reversion was understandable from a lore perspective, but synchro doesn't really feel differentiated from Mega Evolution enough to make it interesting. Obviously we haven't seen how it plays into the games yet, but will it really be unique enough that the designs used for it couldn't have just been Mega Evolutions instead?

you could still hold items but if the mon faints you faint too?

StoneFox

Man, I'm playing through Black 2 again because I never beat it and forgot where I was so I started over and getting a Serene Grace Dunsparce is painfully slow. Ended up giving up and keeping a Run Away one because it took me over an hour just to catch three of them. >-<

Dunsparce sure is sparce :p

you could still hold items but if the mon faints you faint too?

That'd be interesting actually, if say you use a a Synchro evolution in battle - while having a healthy party in tact - and then the Synchro Pokemon faints, it's an instant black/white out.

Would add a layer of difficulty and make the price for using a Synchro evolution more tense.

Sorry, if you haven't gotten your Jirachi yet, I can arrange for a trade this weekend. You up to it?

Definitely, I really appreciate you following up. I've been bad at staying on top of it but let me know when works for you and I'll make sure I'm around. EST if that helps...

StoneFox

OH MY GOD

I went to capture an eevee in Black 2 because I really wanted a Flareon for my team and after about 20 minutes I finally find and catch one (Naughty nature too!). I then go back to the Pokemon Center and yaddayadda when suddenly I get informed about my pokemon having PokeRUS.

:O!!!

First time finding it in the wild like that, I always had to trade for PokeRUS mons!

In my Black version I got multiple wild shinies without chaining and now PokeRUS in Black2, gen 5 really is the best! <3

Definitely, I really appreciate you following up. I've been bad at staying on top of it but let me know when works for you and I'll make sure I'm around. EST if that helps...

All right, I should PM you this weekend.

Thinking of restarting the Pokémon anime soon and probably going to start with XY. I wonder if they sell DVD sets of the XY episodes by now...

Seil

OH MY GOD

I went to capture an eevee in Black 2 because I really wanted a Flareon for my team and after about 20 minutes I finally find and catch one (Naughty nature too!). I then go back to the Pokemon Center and yaddayadda when suddenly I get informed about my pokemon having PokeRUS.

First time finding it in the wild like that, I always had to trade for PokeRUS mons!

In my Black version I got multiple wild shinies without chaining and now PokeRUS in Black2, gen 5 really is the best! <3

Nice. It's really cool when you encounter Pokerus randomly. Less cool if it's already been cured by the time you find out though lol.

OH MY GOD

Don't know what it is about Gen 5, but I feel like most of the current strains out there probably came from it.
My own record is none in gen 2, one that I missed in gen 3, one in gen 4 a week before 6 came out (was getting starters), two in gen 5 (Frost Cavern evolving a Glaceon, got it from a Crygonal in the Summer no less and on a recent White file ON THE FIRST ROUTE BEFORE I HAD 6 POKEMON), and none in gen 6 outside of Wonder Trade. It's always a shock to say the least.

Macka

It seems he'll master it on June 2nd, which happens to be when the next Sun & Moon news comes.
Hmmm...what are the odds that when Ash finally masters this, it ends up just being Mega Greninja? A strong bond between trainer and Pokemon is just an alternate method to mega evolving without the stone.

brinstar

Hmm, thinking about it though... Sun/Moon would be the perfect place for this whole synchro thing seeing how the trainer is visible during battle now.

I dunno. It still sounds like a weird thing to implement so soon after Megas but I'll keep an open mind!

GoldStarz

I imagine it more than likely will affect the main game very minimally. Megas really didn't have much impact outside of wasting half of X/Y game's plot and I don't think GF will retread that path again.

Top Bottom