• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

WPS

I was listening to a podcast lately... Nintendo voice chat or cool games Inc or something... And they mentioned an internal style guide for Pokémon that had recently leaked, going over rules Nintendo / TPC employees had to follow when discussing the series in a public manner. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Google was no help at all - typing "Pokémon" and "leak" into any search bar before a new generation always returns nothing but garbage.

It's a thing that exists, I've seen it a couple of times but unfortunately can't dredge it up from my history. I think its more applicable to the anime, the game breaks it quite often.

There's a few interesting things that I can remember off the top of my head:
Pokémon stored in a pokéball or the PC are stored as energy, not data. (Probably because that would be those other guys).
Pokémon are not monsters and they are not animals. You can call them magical creatures.
The diets of people and pokémon are kept vague. Pokémon food should never be recognisable, and human food depicted avoids containing meat or eggs.

Edit: I remembered where I found it. Unfortunately I think it breaks the gaf no scans rule, so I'll paraphrase.

This is for merchandise tie ins, so the rules don't have to apply internally.

Avoid mentioning blood relations, especially mating and procreation, though existing examples from the anime are fine.
Even though Kangaskhan is the parent pokémon, it's ambiguous whether the pokémon in its pouch is related to it.
In general, death is never mentioned. Cemeteries have appeared in the games but the cause of death is not mentioned, and graves do not appear in the anime.
Pokémon is not set on earth, and "this planet" should be used instead.
Animals don't exist.
Pokémon are to be referred to as "it", never he or she.
There is no food chain.
If food is shown, it should not be an animal product.
Ambiguous foods such as rice balls and sandwiches are better.
Only Meowth can talk. Some others may appear to talk via telepathy.
Master Balls are never shown in large groups, outside of abstract patterns and wallpapers.
Pokémon trainers start at the age of 10 (not that the games have EVER cared)
Pokémon cannot command or give orders to each other in battle.

I don't think the images I saw were the entire thing.

Seil

It's a thing that exists, I've seen it a couple of times but unfortunately can't dredge it up from my history. I think its more applicable to the anime, the game breaks it quite often.

Pokémon stored in a pokéball or the PC are stored as energy, not data. (Probably because that would be those other guys).
Pokémon are not monsters and they are not animals. You can call them magical creatures.
The diets of people and pokémon are kept vague. Pokémon food should never be recognisable, and human food depicted avoids containing meat or eggs.

But they're literally "Pocket Monsters". The title of the series kind of officially makes them monsters lol.

stn

Hey all, quite LLTP to the Pokemon X & 3DS wagon. Can I still claim all the Pokemon that were previously given out as gifts? Thanks.

Kneefoil

Meanwhile, in Pallet Town:
WlKDNJc.png

I'm also pretty sure that at least the English dub of the anime breaks the using "it" instead of using he/she rule a lot. Or at least it used to, I haven't watched the anime in a very long time.

Edit: Honestly though, I find it very funny and somewhat nonsensical that they would make up rules that only apply to certain part of the franchise and not the others. You would think that they would prefer to keep everything non-contradictory to not confuse any fans.
Hey all, quite LLTP to the Pokemon X & 3DS wagon. Can I still claim all the Pokemon that were previously given out as gifts? Thanks.
Unfortunately no. Common sense would indicate that you could at least pay for missed Mystery Gifts, but common sense is something that Nintendo and GameFreak are sorely lacking.

stn

^ Thanks! :) One more question. As a person who played Ruby many years ago and doesn't care at all for the Pokemon story, is there a reason to buy Omega Ruby? I enjoy being able to collect all the different Pokemon. I have heard you can get every Pokemon in existence up until now if you have Ruby and X. Is this true?

Seil

^ Thanks! :) One more question. As a person who played Ruby many years ago and doesn't care at all for the Pokemon story, is there a reason to buy Omega Ruby? I enjoy being able to collect all the different Pokemon. I have heard you can get every Pokemon in existence up until now if you have Ruby and X. Is this true?

Not quite. You could, but you'd need to trade for some version exclusives.

Every Pokemon, excluding event exclusive Mythicals like Mew (though they've been holding Mythical events throughout the year), can be acquired in Gen VI, but that means between X, Y, OR and AS. So, if you have all four you could catch them all yourself. Otherwise, you'll have to trade for some.

Edit: As for reasons to buy OR/AS, there's the catching Pokemon part which includes a lot of legendaries, contests, the dexnav but that goes with catching Pokemon, move tutors and an island with a daycare and an infinite loop for hatching eggs lol.

stn

Thanks again! Last question (promise). I bought White 2 used just in order to trade my Platinum Pokes to X. I found a completed save file from the previous owner. If I use his file to trade to myself, there won't be any restrictions or anything since he's a different user? The Pokes I trade will still be tied to my original profile, right? Ideally I'd like to trade my Pokes to X immediately, then wipe out the save on White 2 and actually play it myself.

I hope I made sense, please ask for clarification if needed. :)

Seil

Thanks again! Last question (promise). I bought White 2 used just in order to trade my Platinum Pokes to X. I found a completed save file from the previous owner. If I use his file to trade to myself, there won't be any restrictions or anything since he's a different user? The Pokes I trade will still be tied to my original profile, right? Ideally I'd like to trade my Pokes to X immediately, then wipe out the save on White 2 and actually play it myself.

I hope I made sense, please ask for clarification if needed. :)

Nothing would matter. Your Pokemon from Platinum would stay exactly as they are, with the OT from Platinum and everything. Transporter just takes everything in Box 1 from the Gen V game and imports them into Bank, and moving them from Platinum to BW/2 won't have any effects on them either.

So, in short, it doesn't matter if you use the existing completed save or start fresh and beat it yourself as far as transferring your Platinum Pokemon goes.

Krammy

Just started ORAS and I have a few questions.

It doesn't look like you can get any of the Generation 1 starters from the game directly, so I assume trading is necessary. How do these Pokémon come from previous games, in regards to their method of capture (Poké Ball or Cherish Ball), location, and stats (normal or special event boosted)? I'm OCD about having all my Pokémon in the same ball-type (Poké Ball) and would prefer an averagely random Charmander that doesn't have any wonky special event stats.

Would it be best to just get a hacked Pokémon? Or does the above seem viable through normal means? Following up that, what's the communities take on hacked Pokémon, specifically in my case where I'd like it to be as legitimate as possible, as opposed to game breaking? People don't care?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to getting back into a new Pokémon game after sticking to the original Game Boy titles for all these years.

Seil

Just started ORAS and I have a few questions.

It doesn't look like you can get any of the Generation 1 starters from the game directly, so I assume trading is necessary. How do these Pokémon come from previous games, in regards to their method of capture (Poké Ball or Cherish Ball), location, and stats (normal or special event boosted)? I'm OCD about having all my Pokémon in the same ball-type (Poké Ball) and would prefer an averagely random Charmander that doesn't have any wonky special event stats.

Would it be best to just get a hacked Pokémon? Or does the above seem viable through normal means? Following up that, what's the communities take on hacked Pokémon, specifically in my case where I'd like it to be as legitimate as possible, as opposed to game breaking? People don't care?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to getting back into a new Pokémon game after sticking to the original Game Boy titles for all these years.

Well, players are given a choice of a Gen I starter in X&Y. And Wartortle, Ivysaur and Charmeleon can be captured in X&Y's Friend Safar(they can also have their Hidden Abilities there). So, they're pretty easy to get your hands on in Gen VI, and can be obtained in any Poke Ball available in Gen VI.

I could breed you a Charmander real quick if you'd like. Hell, I could give you the Egg and let you hatch it yourself if you want lol.

Krammy

I could breed you a Charmander real quick if you'd like. Hell, I could give you the Egg and let you hatch it yourself if you want lol.

Would hatching the egg display my trainer name as opposed to the trader themselves? If so, I'd appreciate that greatly!

Mr-Joker

Banned
you don't need a Fighting type?

Not really since Charizard and my water Pokémon pretty cover Steel, Rock and Ice types.

Not against having a fighting type though as I have used some before.

Would hatching the egg display my trainer name as opposed to the trader themselves? If so, I'd appreciate that greatly!

The hatched Pokémon would be treated as if it was yours and would have your name and trainer ID, but the game will make a little note that it was obtained from a trade.

Seil

Yup. Hatching the egg would make you the OT. It'll involve a bit of running around with it in your party, though lol.

I'll go ahead and get the egg. Are you available for trading right now or would you rather do it later?

Either way, my 3DS Friend Code is in my profile.

Edit: Just send me a PM whenever you want to trade.

Bulbasaur

Banned
So I've recently been made aware of Pokèmon Showdown and I can't see myself playing the official games again till Sun and Moon.

Showdown is great, no tiresome breeding and it's so fast to have matches compared the the actual games. I wonder how they're avoiding a cease and desist from TPC though, surely it's just a matter of time?

GoldStarz

So I've recently been made aware of Pokèmon Showdown and I can't see myself playing the official games again till Sun and Moon.

Showdown is great, no tiresome breeding and it's so fast to have matches compared the the actual games. I wonder how they're avoiding a cease and desist from TPC though, surely it's just a matter of time?

Showdown's been running for years, if they were gonna get a C&D they'd have gotten it a while ago. The only thing I wish for is something like a casual mode where people don't really think about optimizing their team and just play with their favorite Pokemon.

StoneFox

Showdown is great for passing the time, but then I come across people who care way too much about their ladder ranking, or, my favorite, a guy who complained that I won by "crit hax BS."

I was using Storm Throw. :p

Bulbasaur

Banned
Showdown's been running for years, if they were gonna get a C&D they'd have gotten it a while ago. The only thing I wish for is something like a casual mode where people don't really think about optimizing their team and just play with their favorite Pokemon.

I had no idea. Like I was aware of Smogon but not the simulator.

Showdown is great for passing the time, but then I come across people who care way too much about their ladder ranking, or, my favorite, a guy who complained that I won by "crit hax BS."

I was using Storm Throw. :p

It is great for passing the time, very addictive!

Random Mode is the best thing about Showdown. Trying to come up with strategies on the fly is just so fun!

I agree, i'm having a lot of fun with the random mode.

Magni

Bumping this :)

Hi everyone! Posting for the same reason as in February... I've moved to Japan and as such can't go to GameStop so easily. To add insult to injury, I live within walking distance of GF's offices, but that's not enough to get my hands on Darkrai.

Could a kind soul grab an extra code for me? Many thanks in advance!

Really hoping Gen VII stops with the region locked events, but I don't have much faith.

Krammy

Just wanted to give a big thanks to Seil who gave me a Charmander egg earlier today. It just hatched and I am LOVING it. It's a great throwback to the earlier titles I've mostly clung to all these years.

Zaventem

Going through the rapid spin and defog list on bulbapedia it sucks that they reduced the large number of pokemon that could learn the move down to a couple few. I always try to have one on my team but with the current choices it's very limiting to team building. Weird part is most of the pokemon on the gen IV HM list "fit" that move.

Cindro

Edit: I remembered where I found it. Unfortunately I think it breaks the gaf no scans rule, so I'll paraphrase.

This is for merchandise tie ins, so the rules don't have to apply internally.

Avoid mentioning blood relations, especially mating and procreation, though existing examples from the anime are fine.
Even though Kangaskhan is the parent pokémon, it's ambiguous whether the pokémon in its pouch is related to it.
In general, death is never mentioned. Cemeteries have appeared in the games but the cause of death is not mentioned, and graves do not appear in the anime.
Pokémon is not set on earth, and "this planet" should be used instead.
Animals don't exist.
Pokémon are to be referred to as "it", never he or she.
There is no food chain.
If food is shown, it should not be an animal product.
Ambiguous foods such as rice balls and sandwiches are better.
Only Meowth can talk. Some others may appear to talk via telepathy.
Master Balls are never shown in large groups, outside of abstract patterns and wallpapers.
Pokémon trainers start at the age of 10 (not that the games have EVER cared)
Pokémon cannot command or give orders to each other in battle.

I don't think the images I saw were the entire thing.
Ah thanks man! It's fascinating how inconsistent and arbitrary some of this is. I wonder - are they still required to abide by these rules, or was this document a relic of the past?

Either way, it's bizarre. And now I'm wondering what the actual Pokemon food chain is like that they're trying to sweep under the rug. "There is no food chain" is exactly what they WOULD say if the food chain is irrevocably disturbing!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think that's specifically for the anime and merchandising, and only at gen V I think? I remember seeing scans of those./\

Seil

It definitely doesn't pertain to the games, because there's a lot of that shit broken in there. Especially in Pokedex entries. Hell, even the anime breaks that stuff from time to time. Even the talking Pokemon part, because we've had some other Pokemon that could talk without telepathy, Hoopa is a recent example. I think Zoroark was able to talk when it took a human form, too, a Gastly at one point, etc...

If we're gonna include game stuff, it outright lies on the death thing since the very first games have Team Rocket kill a Marowak. They don't go into excruciating detail but we know it was killed trying to protect its child. And Kangaskhan's entries refer to the baby in its pouch as its young, and refers to Kangaskhan as the infant's mother. Etc etc lol.

Edit: Also Moomoo Milk is a thing, and there's that infamous Meowth scene in the anime for that lol.

Zaventem

I thought defog does what rapid spin does without needing the attack to connect

Defog is field wide hazards for everyone with screen removal for opponents. Rapid spin only for hazards.Hard building a team without one or the other for me, it feels like i'm missing something.

Daemul

I think that's specifically for the anime and merchandising, and only at gen V I think? I remember seeing scans of those./\

It definitely doesn't pertain to the games, because there's a lot of that shit broken in there. Especially in Pokedex entries. Hell, even the anime breaks that stuff from time to time. Even the talking Pokemon part, because we've had some other Pokemon that could talk without telepathy, Hoopa is a recent example. I think Zoroark was able to talk when it took a human form, too, a Gastly at one point, etc...

If we're gonna include game stuff, it outright lies on the death thing since the very first games have Team Rocket kill a Marowak. They don't go into excruciating detail but we know it was killed trying to protect its child. And Kangaskhan's entries refer to the baby in its pouch as its young, and refers to Kangaskhan as the infant's mother. Etc etc lol.

Edit: Also Moomoo Milk is a thing, and there's that infamous Meowth scene in the anime for that lol.

Yeah the anime has broken a lot of those rules so it's certainly not meant for them to follow.

IIRC this was a guide meant for 3rd parties who were given permission to use the Pokemon license in merchandising, to prevent them doing anything which could shine a bad light on the franchise. The anime and games are free to break the rules in this guide as they wish.

Seil

The rules were established post generation 1.

Gen 1 mentions places on earth by name for example and tons of vague to explicit references of Pokémon eating pokémon.

They didn't exactly retcon the Pokedex entries, either (also Gen II has Pacific Ocean as an example in Poliwrath's entry - this reference is still used in Gen VI).

Even now there's lots of Pokemon clearly defined as predators, and while their prey aren't (or usually aren't) explicitly named, we only ever encounter Pokemon lol.

Basically, the games do not really follow any of those rules. And it's been established now that they're primarily for third party marketing purposes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That one I can forgive since it's in the OS era dub.

We got an actual Japanese dialog in a very recent episode (the Phantump ep for those curious) having Serena ask Ash if he wants some English muffins.

GoldStarz

That one I can forgive since it's in the OS era dub.

We got an actual Japanese dialog in a very recent episode (the Phantump ep for those curious) having Serena ask Ash if he wants some English muffins.

The Dub: "Hey Ash, do you want any takoyaki?"
dont ask why takoyaki it's the first thing i thought of ok?

Menitta

There was an abridged series I saw years ago, and every time rice balls showed up, they called it something different.

Paul is such a fucking edgelord. "He's always happy. I don't get it."

Chase17

I want the person who writes the plot twists in the mystery dungeon to work on the main series. Just bring them in to come up with something crazy. I don't know if they are obvious to others but there are always a few that get me in these games.

Anyone know how long the post game story is in PSMD?

I want the person who writes the plot twists in the mystery dungeon to work on the main series. Just bring them in to come up with something crazy. I don't know if they are obvious to others but there are always a few that get me in these games.

Anyone know how long the post game story is in PSMD?

In terms of story, the post game is pretty short, but there are lots quests and bosses to fight.

Keeping things foreign is a genius localization move when used in the right places :)

Lately I have been trying to finish the Pokédex in my OR... I still have plenty of gaps at the moment, and I think it'd be nice if someone could lend or give me a Dusknoir. That's a niggling part in my Hoenn Pokédex that I won't be able to fix without external help due to a lack of items...

GoldStarz

Keeping things foreign is a genius localization move when used in the right places :)

Lately I have been trying to finish the Pokédex in my OR... I still have plenty of gaps at the moment, and I think it'd be nice if someone could lend or give me a Dusknoir. That's a niggling part in my Hoenn Pokédex that I won't be able to fix without external help due to a lack of items...

How long would you need one for? >_>

Top Bottom