• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Weebos

Banned
Anybody played any of those Gen 6 hacks? I'm thinking of homebrewing my old 3DS to try some out, but I'm not sure its worth bothering with.

Also, can 3DS homebrew enable me to play Gen 4 and 5 hacks? Probably not?

brinstar

It feels like every time a Pokemon becomes popular, a large contingent rises up in opposition to bitch about it. Coincidentally enough, those people usually aren't a fan of that particular Pokemon themselves.

Greninja is awesome, so of course the anime is going to push it.

Greninja IS awesome, but it admittedly kind of bugs me when the franchise props up one starter over the other two.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder if in the next iteration, Greninja's FS becomes Ash-Greninja. I mean he'll get a powerful Shuriken, the ability to "float", and is probably faster.

tiijj

Greninja IS awesome, but it admittedly kind of bugs me when the franchise props up one starter over the other two.

That's good and bad at the same time. It's bad if the starter that you like the most wasn't the one featured, you'll be like poor ____. Or 2___ is way better than 1___, etc...

It's good since like all players ash has to choose and I guess bond with one starter.

brinstar

That's good and bad at the same time. It's bad if the starter that you like the most wasn't the one featured, you'll be like poor ____. Or 2___ is way better than 1___, etc...

It's good since like all players ash has to choose and I guess bond with one starter.

Yeah. I think it's fine in stuff like Smash because obviously it's not feasible to include all the starters all the time, but like in the show I don't know why at least evolving all the starters on the main cast and giving them fair screentime and arcs is so much to ask for.

I'm just salty I guess cause I really like Chesnaught and I feel like I barely see it in anything, lmao

I think it's mainly marketing/popularity. The final evolutions of the Unova starters for example weren't hugely popular, which is probably why none reached that far in the anime. I also think I remember hearing that the anime team didn't want to evolve Piplup because Prinplup was ugly or something.

Macka

I kinda like that some of the starters don't evolve, but I get that it's totally subjective. Oshawott, Piplup, Scraggy and Chespin for example have great personalities and physical quirks that I'd miss if they had/were to evolve.

Daemul

I got tired of the anime and haven't watched it in months (2 years of watching the same shit get's old), but really it's no surprise that they're focusing on Greninja. In most regions Ash goes to there's usually that one starter who gets lots of the focus, the likes of Charizard and Greninja are popular among fans and the writers play to their popularity and give them loads of screentime over their counterparts.

It's basically a business decision tbh, the showrunners aren't giving Charizard/Greninja lots of screentime to annoy you, they're doing it to get people to watch the anime and make money. If you aren't a fan of one of the overexposed starters than all you have to do is wait until they get Oak'd when PikaAsh go to the next region, and then hope that your favourite starter of the new region is the one chosen to be in the limelight.

Macka

I doubt it will be long before more join the Charizard & Mewtwo club. Was surprised Blaziken didn't get a second one for ORAS tbh.

Greninja is the most likely next contender for two lol. Or maybe Lucario.

Menitta

This whole conversation reminds me of how overrated Charizard is. Like, holy shit. He's just a lizard with wings and breaths fire. He's not even that cool!

Mr-Joker

Banned
I hope whatever happens with Marshadow, they make it more like Rayquaza and Giratina than Kyurem and Zygarde. Basically, make a third Uber legend thats powerful from the start, and maybe gets an interesting alternate form like Giratina. Kyurem was pathetic in Ubers until it got its two formes, and we didn't even get a good Zygarde this gen. I find it annoying when they intentionally nerf their Uber like that!

Yeah I don't want Marshmallow to suffer the same treatment that Zygarde suffered in gen 6.

One starter is bound to get more popular than the others thus get pushed more but it doesn't mean that the other starters don't have their fans.

I think it's mainly marketing/popularity. The final evolutions of the Unova starters for example weren't hugely popular, which is probably why none reached that far in the anime. I also think I remember hearing that the anime team didn't want to evolve Piplup because Prinplup was ugly or something.

Plus Piplup was really popular so they didn't want to kill merchandising sales hence why it started popping out of Pokéball more often.

If you are a charizard fan then you really cant talk, I mean giving him two megas while all the other pokes only have one? WHAT???

As a Charizard fan and a trainer I don't care for Charizard two mega as mine likes to prove that he's stronger without it.

He already took down Mega Gardevoir, Mega Metagross, Mega Gallade, Mega Absol and Mega Salamence.

Plus I kinda don't like the idea that mega stones are powered by dead Pokémon.

Macka

This whole conversation reminds me of how overrated Charizard is. Like, holy shit. He's just a lizard with wings and breaths fire. He's not even that cool!
Sounds like somebody needs to go to jelly school.

Charizard is amazing. He's a lizard with wings who breathes fire! Simple designs aren't inherently bad.

Zalman

I wonder how much Smash affected Greninja's role in the anime (and Pokémon in general). I mean, he was still popular before joining Smash, but not nearly as much as he is now.

Menitta

Ok, what the hell.

tumblr_m9ufm4Hlgl1qkkeiso1_500.gif

Menitta

It's come to a point where I can sense a contest loss. Dawn has 4 ribbons and it's still the first half of Galactic Battles. A contest is coming up. She will lose that and her confidence before just barely winning the last one for the Grand Festival. I actually haven't seen all of DP, so I'm just guessing.

It's come to a point where I can sense a contest loss. Dawn has 4 ribbons and it's still the first half of Galactic Battles. A contest is coming up. She will lose that and her confidence before just barely winning the last one for the Grand Festival. I actually haven't seen all of DP, so I'm just guessing.
Hehe....

Boss Doggie

Johto OS and Unova showed it pretty bad, and I thought DP still gave Infernape more focus.

With that said I like how in XY all mons are getting focus even in the background.

Menitta

I don't care how they do it. As long as all 3 starters are present. Chimchar definitely had more screen-time and development than Turtwig which also led into his rivalry with Paul. It can be a little jarring.

Now that I think about it, Ash never had a team with 3 fully evolved starters. The closest he ever got was in DP with Infernape and Torterra. To my knowledge, Bulbasaur and Squirtle never evolved once. Cyndaquil evolved into Quilava and none of the other gen 2 starters did at all. He had just Sceptile in gen 3. I already mentioned gen 4. Only Tepig evolved in Gen 5. And finally we have Greninja.

Called it...

Hmm idk I still say Dp did the two starters he had massive justice compared to every other saga.

Chimchar had the Paul plot and blaze.

Turtwig was a prominent fighter for what like 4-5 gyms,the evolution problem with losing its speed and learning to use defense instead.

X&y and D&p treated his teams the best

Johto OS and Unova showed it pretty bad, and I thought DP still gave Infernape more focus.

With that said I like how in XY all mons are getting focus even in the background.

Since Ash started his synchro thing with Greninja it feels like he's relying on solely Greninja too much and it's affecting his team besides Pikachu.

I haven't watched the last few anime episode but Niovern seems like a Jobber instead of a power house that he should be. Hawlucha could go either way depending on the battle situation. TalonFlame felt stronger in his pre evolution stages. Pikachu is Pikachu. And Greninja is a power house not because he's a great Pokémon but because of the Synchro thing. Don't get me wrong, Greninja is strong with out the bond but it's relied upon too much.

Mr-Joker

Banned

And that's what makes him great, he's simple in design.

Is Ash ever going to catch his 6th Pokémon or is he just going to stick with the same old 5 Pokémon?

If pokemon are omnivores/carnivores and they eat other pokemon (not going in on the pokemon animals thing lol) they are technically powered by dead pokemon.

That's different as Mega stone were created by Pokémon that were sacrifice to power AZ's weapon.

That alone just puts me off using it.

You think? I thought Do handled it very well. Unova on the other hand

Hmm not really they started off great with Turtwig but once he evolved into a Torterra he ended being a jobber.

Infernape was clearly the star starter on Ash's team.

Boss Doggie

Since Ash started his synchro thing with Greninja it feels like he's relying on solely Greninja too much and it's affecting his team besides Pikachu.

I haven't watched the last few anime episode but Niovern seems like a Jobber instead of a power house that he should be. Hawlucha could go either way depending on the battle situation. TalonFlame felt stronger in his pre evolution stages. Pikachu is Pikachu. And Greninja is a power house not because he's a great Pokémon but because of the Synchro thing. Don't get me wrong, Greninja is strong with out the bond but it's relied upon too much.

Nah the other mons still do a lot of shit, especially Hawlucha. They even made Pikachu get angry at Ash for not being used in battles a lot lol

And nah Noivern ain't a jobber. His only lose so far is the battle with Metang and Clawitzer (both logical losses), and even won against a mon he is not very effective with (Doublade).

Seil

I don't care how they do it. As long as all 3 starters are present. Chimchar definitely had more screen-time and development than Turtwig which also led into his rivalry with Paul. It can be a little jarring.

Now that I think about it, Ash never had a team with 3 fully evolved starters. The closest he ever got was in DP with Infernape and Torterra. To my knowledge, Bulbasaur and Squirtle never evolved once. Cyndaquil evolved into Quilava and none of the other gen 2 starters did at all. He had just Sceptile in gen 3. I already mentioned gen 4. Only Tepig evolved in Gen 5. And finally we have Greninja.

Chikorita evolved into Bayleaf.

So my daughter is a big eevee fan. She ask me if Pokémon were real what would be you're signature Pokémon and what would be you're Pokémon team?

Hers would be
Eevee - signature Pokémon meaning she'll always have a Eevee with her.
Jolteon - her favorite Eeveelution.
Glaceon
Flareon
Espeon
Umbreon

Mine would be
Weavile - signature Pokémon

Dragonite - tied favorite Pokémon with Weavile

Gengar - loved Gengar since the opening scene of him battling Nidorino in Red / Blue

Valcarona - This is my favorite bug Pokémon. If there's a suitable replacement for him in Gen 7 I will.

Electivire - My team's Hawlucha. Won't lie, if Rowlet turns out to be a awesome speedy physical attacker I'll replace Electivire with him.

Milotic - She would be my team leading lady and their shield.

So PokéGaf, what would be your signature Pokémon and what would be your 6 Pokémon team?

Carbink- signature pokemon it stole my heart in xy and early game multiplayer when everyone was trying to figure out the new mons had me wrecking fools with stealthrocks,toxic and dazzling gleam.

Leavanny-greatest bug enough said

Flygon- best dragon,needs a mega

Krookidile- fell in love with this entire line

Dewott- a samurai otter with two swords(shells)...enough said

Snorlax- still my favorite gen 1 Mon.

My team is pretty unbalanced and idk how they'd fair in a match online but hell I like it

Mr-Joker

Banned
So PokéGaf, what would be your signature Pokémon and what would be your 6 Pokémon team?

That would have to be my trusty partner Charizard who has a unique condition* that after a very harsh battle he reverts back into a Charmander as he's unable to maintain the energy that an average Charizard needs.

*It's a thing that I made up for my head story to explain why my Charizard was a Charmander for each version I play as I have used him throughout the generation.

As for my team, would be hard to say as I have used a lot of Pokémon and they are all great.

Really can't wait to travel through the Alola region with Charmander.

Macka

Charizard would be my main mon, along with:

Arcanine (bit redundant to have a second Fire type, but I can't not have both)
Blastoise
Gengar
Umbreon
Noivern

Very hard to not have Gliscor in there, though.

Menitta

Your daughter has excellent taste.

Umbreon (rests on shoulder style signiture)
Electivire
Garchomp
Gardevoir
Aggron
Suicune

If freaking Tobias can have a Darkrai, I can have a Suicune.

Menitta

I really want those Team Rocket figures.

Meowth just said the best thing ever.

"It's that kind of level-headed thinking that makes your critics wrong most of the time."

Theorymon

I mean if Pokemon were real, I'd totally use the strongest stuff that makes me win the most, so I'd use something similar to what I used when people would randomly challenge me on PSS...

Mega Rayquaza: How can I resist something so deliciously broken?

Xerneas: I bet I could rule the world with Power Herb Xerneas!

Normal Arceus: Well I mean if I want to be the strongest, I better have the Pokegod on my side!

Ground Arceus: Make that two Pokegods, gotta nail Primal Groudon ya know!

Primal Groudon: Gotta control the weather, plus what if someone tries to rain on my parade with a Kyogre? I won't have any picnics ruined!

Wobbuffet (Signature Pokemon): Wobbuffet is the Pokemon that defines me: I love trapping stuff in the game with Shadow Tag and Encoring to set up other mons, so I imagine I'd love it even more in real life where I get to see the opponent's face!

Top Bottom