• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Menitta

I hate Fantina so much. She doesn't do her job!!! Gardenia got shit for not being at the gym. Why not Fantina?!

Also, Buizel just did a Bayonetta spin.

tumblr_millfsiSC21rmtxh8o1_250.gif

GoldStarz

I hate Fantina so much. She doesn't do her job!!! Gardenia got shit for not being at the gym. Why not Fantina?!

We talkin' anime!Fantina or games!Fantina? Bc games!Fantina WAS doing her job, anime!Fantina however is not fucking qualified like jfc.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Ah counter shield, just one example of Ash and Dawn bouncing off each other plus it was cool when Drifblim got hit by the counter shield.

Ah the counter shield one of the best strategies. Should've stuck around

4742650-3417167672-Minor.gif

That was a good gym battle as it was Chimchar debut battle and he really gave it his all for victory.

GoldStarz

All Fantina except Platinum. You got to HH City and she's not there. In Platinum, she's there doing her job.

She has more jobs than just being a Gym Leader, she's also a coordinator and iirc sometimes a judge. Just 'cause you're salty about not being able to battle her right away doesn't mean she wasn't busy. Fantina is best gym leader.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Sorry, didn't mean to double post.

Diamond and Pearl is awesome, though I do have to warn you there's a bit of a drop around Heart Gold and Soul Silver's release where they have all these shoehorned fillers about random Johto Pokemon.

Mr-Joker

Banned
All Fantina except Platinum. You got to HH City and she's not there. In Platinum, she's there doing her job.

And in Platinum she's brutal because her team is pretty tough to take down at that point in the game.

In Diamond and Pearl she's like "Yeah you better train up first before facing me."

Wait till the Sinnoh League when
Paul uses Counter Shield against Ash

Yeah that part was really cool as Paul
didn't expect his Gastrodon to win and primarily used it to scout out Ash's Pokémon and slowly wear them down.

Diamond and Pearl is awesome, though I do have to warn you there's a bit of a drop around Heart Gold and Soul Silver's release where they have all these shoehorned fillers about random Johto Pokemon.

Yeah the Sinnoh arc is my personal favorite animé saga and I really liked the dynamic of Ash's team and I was really surprised that all barring three fully evolved.

Plus the whole Ash Vs Paul was really good and really resonated with me as I saw Ash as the people who causally play the game whereas Paul was the people who mostly play in the meta game.

Also the Sinnoh arc would constantly show case the game mechanic like that one scene where the trainer had his
Magmar use protect so his other Pokémon could use surf.

Pokémon Ability also were showcased heavily as I remember Paul's
Magmortar Flame Body triggering which slowly drained Pikachu health down.

Krammy

I just fought May for the first time in Pokémon ORAS and she almost rolled(out) my whole team with her Wailmer. She took out my main Charmeleon first, which left me with a significantly under leveled team of Zubat, Wingull, Magikarp, Ralts, and Oddish. Somehow I was able to chip out her Wailmer, leaving my Magikarp, Ralts, and Oddish in tact before suddenly realizing I had a single revive to get my Charmeleon back. The rest was a cakewalk, but knocking out that Wailmer was a horrifying experience that gave me some nasty flashbacks of Whitney from Gold & Silver.

GDUngt5.gif

tl;dr Fuck Rollout.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I just fought May for the first time in Pokémon ORAS and she almost rolled(out) my whole team with her Wailmer. She took out my main Charmeleon first, which left me with a significantly under leveled team of Zubat, Wingull, Magikarp, Ralts, and Oddish. Somehow I was able to chip out her Wailmer, leaving my Magikarp, Ralts, and Oddish in tact before suddenly realizing I had a single revive to get my Charmeleon back. The rest was a cakewalk, but knocking out that Wailmer was a horrifying experience that gave me some nasty flashbacks of Whitney from Gold & Silver.

GDUngt5.gif

tl;dr Fuck Rollout.

As a Donphan trainer I love Rollout it's just fun watching your Pokémon go to town on the opponent's Pokémon.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Do you guys think that Caitlin could possibly be the champion of Alola in Sun and Moon?

Choosing the Mach Bike may have been a mistake.
Was it always THIS fast?

w66mzGQ.gif

Not really it was faster in the original Hoenn game, though my mind could be playing tricks on me.

so what, you rather have gym leaders who only basically exist to sit in their gym waiting to fight you?

people hated that in x/y

Olympia was the worse her intro went down like this.

"Hello"

*Gym fight starts*

"Oh you won, goodbye"

I was really pissed off at that as it just felt like that Game Freak wasn't even trying.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I know what YouTube channel you've been watching lol

But like nah, almost 0% chance of that happening

Normally I just gloss over theory but I researched on Caitlin and she says this;

"I used to own Battle Castles. Then I became one of Unova's Elite Four. Will I be a Champion somewhere next? You never know!"

Now that could be a fun tease but in the Japanese trailer we her name on the classroom wall which I think isn't just a random throwaway name nor would they reuse a name for an important character.

Menitta

My hatred of Fantina is too strong to be thwarted by simple reasoning.

I don't care what her other, less important, jobs are.

GoldStarz

My hatred of Fantina is too strong to be thwarted by simple reasoning.

I don't care what her other, less important, jobs are.

Less important to you. Pokemon battling doesn't pay the bills unless you consistently win which by nature of being a gym leader, you are not supposed to do.

GoldStarz

I'm sure Pokemon Contests don't either.

Given the widespread fame and popularity that Lisia has, I'm inclined to disagree with you there.

Also, considering the job of a gym leader is more or less a community leader and contests are Hearthome's big draw, she's actually doing her job a gym leader while doing her other job.

Menitta

Finally at Galactic Battles and glorious HD! This is where I stopped as a kid. Also, I love the music they're using. I'm hearing tracks from the Pichu Bros short before movie 3. That was the first part of the Pokemon anime I've ever seen.

I liked those episodes TBH. They were fun and a nice change of pace from all the Galactic stuff and hardcore training. Also, Lyra is one of my favorite designs of the female MC.

Also, to save you some time,

image.php

MANUELF

Banned
Ash should definitely have won D/P league so Black/White would have been a fresh start like the game but then the hax trainer happened
Tobias

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man this episode is somber and beautiful, if a bit pandering on Greninja. That sync and that call back to old episodes, holy shit.

Also this is so precious

CjYAsDPVAAA80kC.jpg
CjYAsbDUgAEzOTn.jpg
CjYHzZjUoAAvl_g.jpg
CjYFEVfUYAAZte-.jpg
CjYDa_7UgAAQoUc.jpg
CjYJ8iQWsAA7_eP.jpg

I swear the moonlight butterfly they keep putting in Ash Greninja is there. Also the gag is BONNIE-DEDENNE.

CjYDB5hVAAEseL1.jpg

And of course the ep has some hilarious shipping moments. It has the aforementioned snowball anime scene I mentioned, their first argument, and a massive reconciliation of Ash apologizing and thanking Serena.

The league is apparently taking place in Lumiose City, whoa!

CjYDC41UkAIBQZX.jpg
CjYDUKWVEAE6OZw.jpg

NEXT EPISODE HYPE

also whoa, the recent eps are really trending a lot, #anipoke is moving fast

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, whoever did that assassin Owlet and creepy Popplio final forms did their middle forms, I gotta say these look pretty good though I doubt them...

jKBOvp9.jpg

Litten's evolution rolling around a fire ball like a yarn ball is a great idea though.

So, whoever did that assassin Owlet and creepy Popplio final forms did their middle forms, I gotta say these look pretty good though I doubt them...

jKBOvp9.jpg

Litten's evolution rolling around a fire ball like a yarn ball is a great idea though.
Im not a fan of any of the last forms. But man all the middle stages look great

decaf

Hey folks, is there a place for trading Pokémon on GAF any more? Sorry if this isn't the right place.

Just wondering if any of you have female Pokémon in Dream Balls (traded across from BW/B2W2)? I'm trying to complete the set.

Macka

Yeah, those middle stages are actually really cool. Still think the final forms are absolutely horrific though. Rowlet's final stage legit looks like a human, Popplio's is the stuff of nightmares and Litten's just looks awkwardly shaped and pretty dull.

I hope they aren't real.

Seil

Hey folks, is there a place for trading Pokémon on GAF any more? Sorry if this isn't the right place.

Just wondering if any of you have female Pokémon in Dream Balls (traded across from BW/B2W2)? I'm trying to complete the set.

Not really a specific trading thread really, but the ORAS OT is where people usually tend to request stuff when it does happen lately.

I may be able to help you out some with this, though. Here's my spreadsheet for Pokeballs. Anything that has HA under the Dream Ball column I have with its hidden ability, a cyan Y block means I have it and it can't have its hidden ability. If you've got any Dream HAs I'm missing I'd love to set up a trade for those, too. Just shoot me a PM.

Edit: While I'm making this post, does anyone have the hidden ability Tyrunt/Amaura? And would you be willing to breed me one? They're the only breedable hidden abilities I don't have x.x

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I did some thinking about Sun and Moon and I came up with a list of prediction that I think could happen.

-At first I though that Sun and Moon was gen 7 but I did some thinking that I feel that it's "Pokémon Z" and gen 7.

-Alola will be spread across 8 island, with a battle frontier on one island.

-Zygarde will play a big part and is related to Sun and Moon legendary along with Xerneas and Yveltal.

-I believe that we will get to explore Southern Kalos in the post game.

-I believe that Sylveon will get a counterpart in Sun and Moon, maybe a Dragon type.

-I believe that Caitlin is the Alola champion.

jKBOvp9.jpg

I hope that they are real just so that we can finally kill the whole theory that the fire starters are based on Chinese zodiac when Charmander, Cyndaquil and Fennekin pretty much proved that that isn't the case.

Theorymon

So I did some thinking about Sun and Moon and I came up with a list of prediction that I think could happen.

-At first I though that Sun and Moon was gen 7 but I did some thinking that I feel that it's "Pokémon Z" and gen 7.

-Alola will be spread across 8 island, with a battle frontier on one island.

-Zygarde will play a big part and is related to Sun and Moon legendary along with Xerneas and Yveltal.

-I believe that we will get to explore Southern Kalos in the post game.

-I believe that Sylveon will get a counterpart in Sun and Moon, maybe a Dragon type.

-I believe that Caitlin is the Alola champion.

A note about Zygarde: while I do think that's totally possible, we might have actually gotten a third legendary Pokemon leak already: something called Marshadow. It was in the same leaks that pretty much matched the starters to a T, and Marshadow's name isn't really japanese like the starters, so it could totally be related to Solgaleo and Lunaala! Makes me think Zygarde might just be an extra postgame thing.

Alternately, something I've liked the idea of is that you get Zygarde Core really early in the game, but you have to collect cells to eventually get Perfect Zygarde. Would be a neat sidequest to do throughout the game, especially since its not like Zygarde 50% is really that powerful, so I don't think it'd break the game!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Greninja pandering is the worst.

Gen 6 will soon be over and Greninja will join the ranks of being one of the most iconic Pokémon.

Some people would say that it's better than Gen 1 pandering :p

I don't mind a bit of Gen 1 pandering but X and Y took it to the extreme.

A note about Zygarde: while I do think that's totally possible, we might have actually gotten a third legendary Pokemon leak already: something called Marshadow. It was in the same leaks that pretty much matched the starters to a T, and Marshadow's name isn't really japanese like the starters, so it could totally be related to Solgaleo and Lunaala! Makes me think Zygarde might just be an extra postgame thing.

Alternately, something I've liked the idea of is that you get Zygarde Core really early in the game, but you have to collect cells to eventually get Perfect Zygarde. Would be a neat sidequest to do throughout the game, especially since its not like Zygarde 50% is really that powerful, so I don't think it'd break the game!

If Marshmallow is the third legendary then it does make me wonder how he will be handled as I don't see gen 7 lasting that long.

Menitta

I completely blocked Ursula out of my mind. She's like Handsome Jack. You love to hate her. What a bitch.

Edit: OH SHIT PACHIRISU JUST DID A SICK SPIN ATTACK ON DRAGON RAGE!!!

Theorymon

Gen 6 will soon be over and Greninja will join the ranks of being one of the most iconic Pokémon.

I don't mind a bit of Gen 1 pandering but X and Y took it to the extreme.

If Marshmallow is the third legendary then it does make me wonder how he will be handled as I don't see gen 7 lasting that long.

I hope whatever happens with Marshadow, they make it more like Rayquaza and Giratina than Kyurem and Zygarde. Basically, make a third Uber legend thats powerful from the start, and maybe gets an interesting alternate form like Giratina. Kyurem was pathetic in Ubers until it got its two formes, and we didn't even get a good Zygarde this gen. I find it annoying when they intentionally nerf their Uber like that!

Boss Doggie

Also I wonder if they retconned his OS phase.

Apparently here the thing that made him want go become a Pokemon Trainer is when he was young (using kid Ash model) he got lost in the woods during a storm, so he head into a tree trunk. A bunch of Kanto shitmons flocked into him to cover during the storm which made him really happy. This inspired him to become a Pokemon Trainer and to go on an adventure. Really different from the "Wild Pokemon likes to eat Ash and he hates Wild Pokemon" Ash we saw from before.

Ash said this to Greninja in the cave.

Y'know, this happened to me before as well. When I was a kid, I wanted to meet with some Pokemon and went alone in the forest. But then I lost my way. I then bonded with Pokemon just like now. I felt so happy back then. I thought "I want to quickly become a Trainer and go on an adventure with some Pokemon". Sorry Greninja. I know I had promised to become stronger with you. By being alone, I understood. Having made a promise to Shota, wanting to quickly get that badge from Wulfric. I kinda got ahead of myself. "I'm Trainer so I have to do my best and hang on"... this doesn't mean "doing our best together" at all. I have a partner beside me, a very dear partner. Just earlier, I thought "I'm definitely going to save you and Spewpa". Thanks to you, I understood that strength. Greninja, give me that strength. Let's start all over again! Let's do it together!"

Damn Pikachu... Just damn... Hahahahah!

Boss Doggie

And he is using Pikachu, Greninja, and Talonflame for the rematch, his first Pokemon during the Viola fight. And both involved snow.

Macka

It feels like every time a Pokemon becomes popular, a large contingent rises up in opposition to bitch about it. Coincidentally enough, those people usually aren't a fan of that particular Pokemon themselves.

Greninja is awesome, so of course the anime is going to push it.

Top Bottom