• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Seil

Signature: Shiny Umbreon

Gengar
Scizor
Talonflame
Greninja
Lucario

If I thought about it more it'd probably be changed up some. Other things on the table include Volcarona, Skarmory, Hydreigon, Snorlax, Infernape, Whimsicott, Zorua, Sylveon, Glaceon and Gyarados. If legendaries/mythicals were thrown in, Mew, Hoopa and Meloetta as well lol.

Choosing 6 is hard.

That would have to be my trusty partner Charizard who has a unique condition* that after a very harsh battle he reverts back into a Charmander as he's unable to maintain the energy that an average Charizard needs.

*It's a thing that I made up for my head story to explain why my Charizard was a Charmander for each version I play as I have used him throughout the generation.

As for my team, would be hard to say as I have used a lot of Pokémon and they are all great.

Really can't wait to travel through the Alola region with Charmander.

Lol... thats awesome! Wouldn't it make more sense like your first Pokémon ever was Charmander and after you went threw your first league yoUr Charizard fell in love and gave you his/her first born because of the bond you two share. Then something similar every gen after with you deciding to retire that region Charizard?

Also, mad respect on why you don't use Mega Evolution. But Mega Evolution also represents the bond between trainer and Pokémon. It's not something everyone is suppose to do. It's hard to say that when everyone and their mother uses Mega Evolution in the games but something along them lines was stated in game. You could always use Mega Evolution to show your bond with Charizard.

I mean if Pokemon were real, I'd totally use the strongest stuff that makes me win the most, so I'd use something similar to what I used when people would randomly challenge me on PSS...

Mega Rayquaza: How can I resist something so deliciously broken?

Xerneas: I bet I could rule the world with Power Herb Xerneas!

Normal Arceus: Well I mean if I want to be the strongest, I better have the Pokegod on my side!

Ground Arceus: Make that two Pokegods, gotta nail Primal Groudon ya know!

Primal Groudon: Gotta control the weather, plus what if someone tries to rain on my parade with a Kyogre? I won't have any picnics ruined!

Wobbuffet (Signature Pokemon): Wobbuffet is the Pokemon that defines me: I love trapping stuff in the game with Shadow Tag and Encoring to set up other mons, so I imagine I'd love it even more in real life where I get to see the opponent's face!

Wobbuffet as a signature is awesome. I mean if Pokémon were real how easy/hard would it be to catch and find a legendary?

I asked my daughter why she didn't choose any legendaries for her team and she said aren't those rare and impossible to catch if they were real and she added by I want a team that I could actually have and play and battle with. Also in real life I like to think every Pokémon is as strong as the trainer.

Reading threw all the teams is neat. I like that there are as much diverse trainers as Pokémon in the world.

*~*Farfetch'd*~* - Spirit mon.
Feraligatr - Favorite starter.
Magneton - Aside from Zapdos, my second favorite electric type.
Arcanine - One of my favorite Fire types.
Pangoro - Aside from Ursaring, one of my favorite 'bears'. Also pulls double duty as fighting/dark
Shiftry - If I think really hard, it's probably one of my favorite grass mons, even though I don't think about it too much.

More difficult than I thought, since I have favorite teams for each gen. There are 45 mons on my shortlist...

speaking of figures they are also making more lucario and mewtwo ones

5yef9tr.jpg
Sg36Fcv.jpg

also in terms i team i dont know

i would have sceptile on it but after that i dont know

My Team would be:

Feraligatr - the signature mon. My first startar and have used him every time since. Just look at his jaw, he looks like he is smiling, but he will chew your arms if he wants. He likes to joke and play pranks to his friends, and often goes with Gengar to swerve the rest of the gang.

Gengar - best ghost and best gen 1 pokemon. If I could, I would Mega evolve him, since the smile of M-Gengar is so cool. He goes along playing jokea on everyone, but likes to protect them. He will often sacrifice himself to keep tje gang battling.

Krookodile - The guy knows what's good. I Picture him as the heavy metal pokemon, and as a distant relative to Feraligatr. He is the serious guy of the gang though, he takes battle serious and constsntly trains with Serperior to get stronger. He has s high selfsteem.

Hydreigon - The menacing force of the Team, mean look meaning business. No, he doesnt care about fairies, he smartly became best friends with gengar.

Serperior - The guy who thinks too high of himself, and even backs it up in battle, but is often made fun of by the group. As contrary as he is, that doenst bring him down, and he knows they know hes fucking great.

Noctowl - The silent one of the group, the one that observes and then speak. My favorite Bird, that can learn psychic and ghost Type attacks. And he can fly me even ans Night. The group looks up to him, and take serious his advices.

GoldStarz

Dawn is a good character because she got a Togekiss and thus all criticisms against her are false and invalid.

Speaking of which...

So PokéGaf, what would be your signature Pokémon and what would be your 6 Pokémon team?

I'm assuming this battle-wise or else every Pokemon would be ubers lol

Chandelure (Fire/Ghost)
Ferrothorn (Grass/Steel)
Gastrodon (Water/Ground)
Magnezone (Electric/Steel)
Dragalge (Poison/Dragon)
Signature: Togekiss (Fairy/Flying)

I tried to make a nice diversified team, but I think my Gen IV and Gen V bias started showing up a bit so I threw Dragalge in their even though I was tempted to put Hydreigon in that spot.

Theorymon

Wobbuffet as a signature is awesome. I mean if Pokémon were real how easy/hard would it be to catch and find a legendary?

I asked my daughter why she didn't choose any legendaries for her team and she said aren't those rare and impossible to catch if they were real and she added by I want a team that I could actually have and play and battle with. Also in real life I like to think every Pokémon is as strong as the trainer.

Reading threw all the teams is neat. I like that there are as much diverse trainers as Pokémon in the world.

This is a good point. I mean I'm in the "hardcore competitive Pokemon battler that posts on Smogon and writes analyses" sort of crowd, but taking my mind off that for a moment... who the hell is gonna have two Arceus if Pokemon were real?!

Every since Delta episode on ORAS, I get the impression that each copy of Pokemon is its "own universe". For example, when you play in Battle Spot, you don't have a crowd of real people watching, you have a weird virtual reality space! Pokemon trading sorta looks fantastical too in a weird black space with light, and again, Delta Episode implied alternate universes...

What I'm saying here is that the reason having two Arceus is possible is because the world of Pokemon have mastered the art of interacting and trading goods and Pokemon with other universes. Every little multiplayer aspect we do in Pokemon is alternate universe communication.

If Pokemon were real, I don't think we'd be able to communicate with other universes like that. I'd imagine that civilians wouldn't be allowed to have legendary Pokemon, even if they sucked like Regice. I imagine stuff like Mega Rayquaza would be the property of the US military or something like that...

What I'm really saying is that Pokemon has the deepest lore.

Articalys

Hah, looks like Team Flare will sabotage the league.
So wait, they wrote Ash to be so broken this season that the only way to stop him from winning the league (short of another multi-legendary-packing Tobias, and at this point I'm not even sure if that could stop 100% Ash-Greninja) is to have outside forces screw with the league tournament itself?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
PokeFan scans are out.

All of them mega trainers in Act 1 are participating in the league. Tierno has no Mega Blastoise. TREVOR HAS MEGACHARIZARD Y. ALAIN IS PARTICIPATING. SHOTA USES HIS NOTEBOOK FOR HIS KEYSTONE AND SCEPTILE HAS A SCARF!

The magazine conveniently skipped the ep about Goodra and Pancham while making a big deal about "Ash needs a sixth mon!" in his "battle team". I wonder what it means.

So wait, they wrote Ash to be so broken this season that the only way to stop him from winning the league (short of another multi-legendary-packing Tobias, and at this point I'm not even sure if that could stop 100% Ash-Greninja) is to have outside forces screw with the league tournament itself?

Well...

>June 16th: XY&Z031 - Heatbursts at the Ingenuity Festival!
>June 30th: XY&Z032 - The Kalos League Begins! Mega Charizard Shodown: X VS Y!!
>July 2nd: XY&Z033 - Mega Sceptile VS Raichu! I got some EXP!

They are starting the league without even doing Flare. So yeah, all signs point to Flare disturbing the finals. It makes sense. Malva is Lysandre's pal, League being constructed in Lumiose so high concentration of people, etc.

PokeFan scans are out.

All of them mega trainers in Act 1 are participating in the league. Tierno has no Mega Blastoise. TREVOR HAS MEGACHARIZARD Y. ALAIN IS PARTICIPATING. SHOTA USES HIS NOTEBOOK FOR HIS KEYSTONE AND SCEPTILE HAS A SCARF!

The magazine conveniently skipped the ep about Goodra and Pancham while making a big deal about "Ash needs a sixth mon!" in his "battle team". I wonder what it means.

They are starting the league without even doing Flare. So yeah, all signs point to Flare disturbing the finals. It makes sense. Malva is Lysandre's pal, League being constructed in Lumiose so high concentration of people, etc.

nice to see they are doing Mega Zard Y vs X, i know people wanted that with ash and alain but hey

interesting the league looks to be a big Mega showcase and Mega Scarf? best one yet and one last thing

>July 2nd: XY&Z033 - Mega Sceptile VS Raichu! I got some EXP!

RIP Tierno

also this is going to be a long league isn't it

Cranster

Banned
17 years later after starting my pokemon game journey on Gameboy Color with Pokemon Yellow, I can finally say I completed my pokedex with all 151 pokemon without the aid of a gameshark and glitches (minus Mew glitch to capture Mew of course). All thanks to Nintendo for releasing Gen 1 on the Eshop.

I hope we see G/S/C on the 3DS Eshop soon so I can complete that aswell.

MAtgS

Good God, they're seriously not having it be Ash's zard that becomes Y, something I thought was a given the moment we 1st heard about Alain.

Kalos, the land that continuity forgot.

Good God, they're seriously not having it be Ash's zard that becomes Y, something I thought was a given the moment we 1st heard about Alain.

it's better this way, they wanna keep focus on Kalos Pokemon

and besides they already brought back zard at the end of BW

MAtgS

it's better this way, they wanna keep focus on Kalos Pokemon

and besides they already brought back zard at the end of BW

Maybe, but it's the latest in a series of missed continuity moments:

-Iris & Cilan never got the obligatory callback appearances.

-20th anniversary came & went without much celebration on the anime's part. Certainly nothing on the scale of the Mirage Poke'mon episode.

-Serena remaining blissfully unaware of just how many girls have come & gone in Ash's journeys. With all the other amourship teasing already, you'd think they'd milk this for all its worth at some point.

-Its Gen 6, so this is pretty much the only time they could have a trainer with a full team of starters from every gen & that's probably not happening either.

When past seasons would have minor nods like random Crystal t-shirts or Ash somehow having Misty's fishing lure in an episode of DP, I find myself wishing XY would have something!

Boss Doggie

why? he already has Ash-Greninja

I think it's to the XY anime's great credit that it's far more standalone and self-contained than previous series, personally.

The XY games could have learned something from it, in fact.

Kyzer

Banned
I don't buy the theory that every copy of the game is a different universe. I think people got carried away with Delta episodes implications and a slight 4th wall reference with the team leader in oras saying maybe he could have been the evil one in another universe. The game definitely has continuity between games and even gens. So just like every other game that can be different on every playthrough, there is still a canon version of events. The multiverse theory per copy is a neat headcanon way to explain wireless communication but it doesn't really stick for me. I think they were just pulling a star trek and creating a new timeline to explain old gens. There's just two universes. Gens 1-5 and 6+. Each copy being its own universe doesn't seem anymore canon to me than any other game with multiple endings or different story variations because in the end there actually was a definitive set of events.

That being said, each game feeling likes its own universe is my biggest wish for the desire to change, I want either the whole story to be playable in co-op somehow or for there to be a really deep and fleshed out co op mode.

Macka

This is a series in which 10 year olds regularly keep what are essentially gods with world-ending powers in their pockets. Several of these legendaries are supposed to be unique as well, right? There's no two Arceus, Mewtwo or Deoxys at least. Weather trio seems to be one-of-a-kind, and yet everyone has them online.

Just don't think about it too much. The anime is a better representation of what the Pokemon world would be like irl.

Xenoboy

I should probably continue with the anime but I forgot where I left off. The subs were coming in slowly so I started to loose track.

Anyways, my signature team would be -

Froslass
Sunflora
Sigilyph
Wigglytuff
Venusaur/Torterra/Delphox
Armaldo

I am going to pretend that Armaldo can surf as well.

Aha, but what about the fact that there are canonically two Opelucid Cities that exist in different universes?

In Black and White, you get the Cell Battery by showing a guy in Opelucid a Pokémon from the other version with Charge, and I'm pretty certain he explicitly says as much.

Boss Doggie

what people are hyping up is the apparent lack of "league rival" that is usually mentioned in the scans

Kyzer

Banned
Aha, but what about the fact that there are canonically two Opelucid Cities that exist in different universes?

In Black and White, you get the Cell Battery by showing a guy in Opelucid a Pokémon from the other version with Charge, and I'm pretty certain he explicitly says as much.

that is pretty interesting

This is a good point. I mean I'm in the "hardcore competitive Pokemon battler that posts on Smogon and writes analyses" sort of crowd, but taking my mind off that for a moment... who the hell is gonna have two Arceus if Pokemon were real?!

Every since Delta episode on ORAS, I get the impression that each copy of Pokemon is its "own universe". For example, when you play in Battle Spot, you don't have a crowd of real people watching, you have a weird virtual reality space! Pokemon trading sorta looks fantastical too in a weird black space with light, and again, Delta Episode implied alternate universes...

What I'm saying here is that the reason having two Arceus is possible is because the world of Pokemon have mastered the art of interacting and trading goods and Pokemon with other universes. Every little multiplayer aspect we do in Pokemon is alternate universe communication.

If Pokemon were real, I don't think we'd be able to communicate with other universes like that. I'd imagine that civilians wouldn't be allowed to have legendary Pokemon, even if they sucked like Regice. I imagine stuff like Mega Rayquaza would be the property of the US military or something like that...

What I'm really saying is that Pokemon has the deepest lore.

You're using our real world logic and history and applying it in a world where Pokémon were real.

Don't you think that if Pokémon were real our entire history would be different. How our nation's formed, political views, and such.

I think in that world Raticate is just as viable in a battle as Lucario. It just depends on how good the trainer is. Legendary Pokémon would be as elusive as our current world, world peace. I think that anyone would be able to catch a legendary in that world.

LFG

Neophyte
Is the Pokemon online tcg any good? I thought about giving it a go. The card game always looked interesting to me.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Lol... thats awesome! Wouldn't it make more sense like your first Pokémon ever was Charmander and after you went threw your first league yoUr Charizard fell in love and gave you his/her first born because of the bond you two share. Then something similar every gen after with you deciding to retire that region Charizard?

Because then that new Charmander isn't the same Charmander that I originally started with.

Plus I kinda build on Charizard's condition and used it as a reason why we continued our journey.

For example;

-Yellow; this is when Charizard reverted back into a Charmander and he was kinda bummed that he was at square one.

-Silver; We visited Elm to get his insight on Pokémon Evolution.

-Crystal; We learned about the legendary trainer Red and we discovered that Red's Charizard is my Charizard's Dad.

--Ruby; We visited Birch to get into insight if Charmander's condition was environmental.

-Diamond; We visited Rowan and he was the one who diagnosed the condition and explaining that when Pokémon evolve they release energy but in Charmander's case he releases too many and it ends up catching up to him after a harsh battle, usually after the Champion battle.

There's other part of the story that I am omitting but that's general gist of it so far.

Also, mad respect on why you don't use Mega Evolution. But Mega Evolution also represents the bond between trainer and Pokémon. It's not something everyone is suppose to do. It's hard to say that when everyone and their mother uses Mega Evolution in the games but something along them lines was stated in game. You could always use Mega Evolution to show your bond with Charizard.

I debated back and fore whether or not I should allow Charizard to go mega but in the end I felt that it would be more fun if Charizard battles mega without going mega.

Hah, looks like Team Flare will sabotage the league.

I see that Team Flare is taking a leaf out of Team Plasma book.

Seriously though why is Team Flare in the animé so much better than their game counterpart? ¬_¬;

It's actually pretty easy: Just have Ash win

But then it would mean the end of the animé.

Seil

But then it would mean the end of the animé.

Nah. Ash and Serena get together and we have a time skip, now we're following their kid on his/her journey and probably Pikachu tags along for some reason.

Honestly wish that we'd had a time skip when Hoenn started and followed a new protagonist, with Ash having become a bit older and we just occasionally run into him as things continued on through the generations. Rather than having him be perpetually stuck in some weird affront to science where he doesn't age yet still has some level of continuity from all these past adventures.

Top Bottom