• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

After seeing that Zygarde video, I realize how much I like the familiarity between Pokémon battle themes. I'm not sure how to explain it, but no matter how different each regions battle themes are, they still manage to feel like similar. For example, the XY gym leader theme is really different from the others and I do like that about it, yet it still has me thinking "This sounds like Pokémon" I'm not sure if that makes much sense.

Ya know, when the mascots were first revealed I didn't really like Lunala and I thought Solgaleo was just okay, but now Lunala is really starting to grow on me.
Has Pokémon still not put up the new info yet?

Do you mean the two new Pokemon? Maybe they'll save it for a video tomorrow or include them in the E3 information.
Hopefully E3 gives us more than just those two.

Ordered on Sunday. They get shipped on Saturday.

Sounds legit.
seLeJ2o.png

MajorMane

I haven't played pokemon in a while (and never finished XY) so I decided on a Nuzlocke run. Here are the rules I laid out (some newb friendly rules for myself since I hardly even remember what Fairy does right now) and cannot remember what type a lot of the Gen 6 pokemon were.

I am after Gym 3 and have lost like 15 pokemon and have three left, haha. I am very, very type screwed from my RNG on wild battles.

You should consider getting rid of the no grinding rule. It's definitely not one that people usually follow in a run like that, but I wish you luck!

You actually inspired me to start my own of Pokemon Y since I have not played it in a while and have needed another game to play this summer. A couple of rules I'll be following:
  1. First encounter per route is my capture unless it is a duplicate species/evolution of a Pokemon I already have or a shiny Pokemon.
  2. Fainted Pokemon are gone for good. I'll probably just use a "graveyard" box in my PC as I like to keep most Pokemon for no particular reason.
  3. No soft-resets for anything.
  4. Game over occurs when all Pokemon are "dead", including those in the box.
  5. No EXP Share.

I'm not sure how I'll treat "gift" Pokemon, such as the Kanto starters you get from Sycamore. Might forgo using them or instead count them as an additional encounter in another route.

Articalys

The best thing about completing the National Pokédex is never having to worry about it again
You can focus entirely on new Pokémon.
See, that's the funny thing, right? Everyone probably has their own definition and limits for what it means to complete the dex and what "counts", especially now when communities can breed you any non-legendary/mythical you want on request. Do you need to get everything obtainable in-game yourself and it doesn't matter how you get the rest that are exclusive elsewhere? Is it fine to trade in anything you want if you don't want to catch it yourself? For the hardest of the hardcore, buying all the necessary versions and only allowing Pokemon caught by you, all transferred to the game of choice? And then even comparing your comment just now against what AggroCraig said earlier, after everything is in one game, can you use those same Pokemon (or babies if you want to keep the originals where they are) as a head start in another game, or can you only start from scratch each time?

Just a little excessive philosophizing because I'm bored as hell.

See, that's the funny thing, right? Everyone probably has their own definition and limits for what it means to complete the dex and what "counts", especially now when communities can breed you any non-legendary/mythical you want on request. Do you need to get everything obtainable in-game yourself and it doesn't matter how you get the rest that are exclusive elsewhere? Is it fine to trade in anything you want if you don't want to catch it yourself? For the hardest of the hardcore, buying all the necessary versions and only allowing Pokemon caught by you, all transferred to the game of choice? And then even comparing your comment just now against what AggroCraig said earlier, after everything is in one game, can you use those same Pokemon (or babies if you want to keep the originals where they are) as a head start in another game, or can you only start from scratch each time?

Just a little excessive philosophizing because I'm bored as hell.

I started from complete scratch for XY. I have to admit it was a lot of fun. But I used the gts heavily. There's no way I could have gotten all the legendaries without trading for them. In fact I would trade for one, then immediately put it back on gts for a different legendary.

Your post makes me consider starting from scratch all over again, even though I have a complete living dex now.

Helen Shivers

Neo Member
I finally took the time to finish the Pokedex in Y this morning! Maybe I'll do Alpha Sapphire... but probably not.

Congrats, I finished my Y pokedex this week too! I'm working on completing the living dex too, I just need to hatch like 80 more eggs to finish that lol..

I bought Heart Gold, Black 2, and Platinum to finish my Y dex, it took quite awhile, I used my sister's 3DS to do all the trading though, so it wasn't that bad I guess.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Just saw the Zygarde video, I love the Green themes to its moves, they look very flashy. Are we thinking Zygarde won't be in-game but via promo?

Vena

You should consider getting rid of the no grinding rule. It's definitely not one that people usually follow in a run like that, but I wish you luck!

Heh. Its not easy. I almost got wiped by a Gardevoir because I had no physical attackers to get around her 3x Calm Mind. Had to gimmick her down with Klefki + Toxic + Protect, haha.

Its a scary day when Klefki is my best physical attacker back by three special sweepers.

AetherZX

Yeah that's ridiculous. I mean...Ho-Oh lol.

With the said, I'm not entirely convinced Synchro will be in the games. Based on how it works in the anime, it doesn't seem like it would translate very well at all.

How it works in the anime looks quite a lot like what occurred in the Zygarde trailer: activation in a pinch.

You people are really overthinking this.

Card Boy

Banned
Anyone want to help me with a Pokemon TCG thread? I sort of got something half together. There is a TCG Online one that is old but i want to do it for the physical TCG aswell.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It just dawned to me that one can make a full dog/pupper team with spares (bipedals do not count)

Growlithe
Houndour
Snubull
Electrike
Poochyena
Lilipup
Rockmutt

I wonder which would be the most optimal six

Jay RaR

While not a pup, you're missing Furfrou (Although I forgot about Granbull).

If I were to make a dog team, it'd consist of:

Arcanine - (Physical/Wall)
Houndoom - Special Attacker
Furfrou - (Physical/Wall)
Manectric - Mega, Special Attacker
Stoutland - Physical Attacker
Rock Doge - Physical Attacker I'm guessing?

Jay RaR

Personally I've never tried one but I've seen Arcanine used as a wall since its speed is ok and its defenses are alright. I'm suggesting it because there's really no other good walls for these line of Pokes (since we're not including legendaries like Suicune I guess) and maybe Arcanine can set up Sunny Day for Houndoom maybe? idk, I'm not much of a battler.

Macka

How it works in the anime looks quite a lot like what occurred in the Zygarde trailer: activation in a pinch.

You people are really overthinking this.
It could work like that, in which case it would lose everything that's slightly cool about it lol, and would be an incredibly boring feature. Going into synchro mode randomly and matching the colour of my hat does not sound too appealing tbh. I'd rather they focus on other aspects of the game than what would essentially be a watered down Mega Evolution.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Personally I've never tried one but I've seen Arcanine used as a wall since its speed is ok and its defenses are alright. I'm suggesting it because there's really no other good walls for these line of Pokes (since we're not including legendaries like Suicune I guess) and maybe Arcanine can set up Sunny Day for Houndoom maybe? idk, I'm not much of a battler.

I always thought Arcanine was a fast special attacker

Kalentan

You know... I kind of wish traded Pokemon didn't get bonus exp... Blazakin is my favorite pokemon and my friend traded it to me (and with a megastone I will admit), and Torchic easily out leveled everyone so quickly because of that buff. I made an already easy game easier. I know I didn't need to use said Pokemon, but it feels like I was being punished for it. :/

Last night I got to the Friendship Room in the Pokeathlon.

Okay, time to progress with the actual story because getting 36 on Pendant Capture was extremely difficult. Getting at least 50 (While you can't tie for the first score, you can tie for the second one) will be a nightmare that I'm not up for right now.

Vena

Right. So. Fuck Gravelers on Victory Road for a Nuzlocke run.

1. Sturdy.
2. Explosion.
3. ???
4. Fuck you.

Also I don't think its possible for me to finish this no-grind run. The Ace/Veteran trainers are starting to be hard, and some of them actually out-level me. I have no idea what I am going to do against the E4 with my current team.

------ edit ------

This is what I am facing the E4 with...

ampharos-mega.gif
sylveon.gif
klefki.gif
amoonguss.gif

Send help.... or a fire pokemon. Or something fast. Or water-type. Or... help.

Scratch Amoonguss, he just died to a Veteran Trainer. X_X

I consider Exp Share.-less XY to be the second hardest Pokémon game TBH, the hardest to me being BW2's challenge mode.

For a no grind nuzelocke run I would have honestly recommended a game from the first three gens. Before gen 4 trainers tended to have underleveled and underevolved Pokémon. For example, the grunts in Magma's Hideout in Emerald have Pokémon 10 levels lower than Maxie's team (I know because I did that section a couple hours ago).

Good luck with the E4 anyways, but I would honestly ditch the no grind rule. If you grinded a bit you could probably beat the E4 with that trio, but without grinding you'll need a miracle.

WPS

I'm pretty sure Eevee and co. were fennek foxes primarily, but with cat, dog and rabbit traits thrown in.

Espeon is fairly clearly a cat, specifically a type of japanese cat demon, same as Meowstic.

Malrend

I always figured that Espeon was based on the Bat-eared fox, as the bit with the tail splitting into two (or more) is a common theme across many different animals-turned-youkai stories. And thus was added to demonstrate it as being more mystical in comparison to Eevee.

Garuroh

Anyone expecting synchro reveal at e3? the only thing that would catch my attention, so far nothing about SM makes it worthy to be called the "20th anniversary game"

MajorMane

Anyone expecting synchro reveal at e3? the only thing that would catch my attention, so far nothing about SM makes it worthy to be called the "20th anniversary game"

I'm torn on what we'll see at E3. It could easily be something small, but I'm hoping for bigger information. Synchro might be it, but it could be something else too.

Junahu

Oh one of the E4 is Steel. Ugh.
Unless one of your pokemon is magically sitting on hidden power ground, your options are pretty limited.

You can Calm Mind as Klefki and try to muscle through Probopass with Mirror Shot, but even at +6 you're looking at a 3 Turn KO against it (it takes just two hits to KO it, but you'll have been Tormented by the enemy Klefki, so you need to spend a turn using a different move)

Top Bottom