• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

brinstar

I'm wondering now if there will possibly be no "Synchro" as a game mechanic, but instead a special Greninja distributed with an Ability that changes it into "____-Greninja" when its HP is low.

Vena

Unless one of your pokemon is magically sitting on hidden power ground, your options are pretty limited.

You can Calm Mind as Klefki and try to muscle through Probopass with Mirror Shot, but even at +6 you're looking at a 3 Turn KO against it (it takes just two hits to KO it, but you'll have been Tormented by the enemy Klefki, so you need to spend a turn using a different move)

Alas not, but I think Sylveon can actually tank him. Charm + Calm Mind can probably shut him down entirely. Klefki may be able to handle everything else. Unfortunately, Ampharos is largely useless for this fight but, conversely, she can/should completely sweep the water E4.

Also, I am not even looking at the E4 roster or moves (and since I never played XY to completion, I have no idea what they have haha), I am brainstorming how to account for everything. So far I have it planned out for everything except the E4 Steel and the Champion. Gyarados opening for Intimidate, even if he is only level 30, switch into either Ampharos or Sylveon can tank most enemies (a Charm from Sylveon will completely shut down physicals) I have ever run into in the game. Sylveon can tank for days with Leftovers/Calm Mind if she switches in on a special attacker, and then set-up to sweep everything with HP-Dragon and Moonblast.

Probopass is actually the only thing I now know the E4 have haha.

Vena

Must've been quite the adventure!

It was! Though poor Klefki got one-shot by a crit from Aegislash, but I gave her a max revive because "freebie" on the last of the E4. I ended up not using her for the Champ anyway, just got Sylveon set-up with 5x Calm Mind on Aurorus and swept the whole team with Shadow Ball/Moonblast. Pretty sure Klefki could have done the same thing, and probably more easily thanks to her typing as Steel. I think i am allowed one freebie, haha. :p

And I used Gyarados to cheese every single physical sweeper with Intimidate -> switch into something else. He never fought a single pokemon.

Water E4 was completely shutdown by Mega-Ampharos. Just completely obliterated the entire team.

------------------------------

I think next I will do ORAS with a similar rule-set but this time no reset-freebies before Gym 3. But I may eschew my rules a tad and send the kids of my champions (once I breed some excellent IVs for competitive later) forward through the Bank, and use them in lieue of the starter and a few routes worth of catches.

This is what I finished the game with, going into the E4 was a lot of planning and probably overplanning (also don't mind the time on the 3DS haha):
oOfEfVx.jpg

Lvl 66 ♀:
ampharos-mega.gif
Lvl 68 ♂:
sylveon.gif
Lvl 63 ♀:
klefki.gif
and Lvl 52 ♂:
gyarados.gif

Might send a Flaffy and Eevee to ORAS for the next Nuzlocke, as they were the real MVPs. Also Klefki is technically dead, and Sylveon died to AZ if that counts. X_X

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Dang, this Zapdos was horrendous.
Probably the worst looking episode I can remember.

nah that's gonna be the Phantump episode

this ep had many animation directors (meaning rushed) and had two Koreans (infamous for doing QUALITY episodes), but I'd argue despite the poor quality it's still one of the many good eps this show has

Vena

Ha ha I know that feeling, when I first played Pokémon Y Greninja just couldn't take hits to save his life.

Thank Arceus for the Protean ability as it made Greninja a lot more viable.

It made him straight up Uber territory. I think they overdid it with Protean.

Vena

What does he do in Ubers anyways? Set up Spikes/Toxic Spikes?

Suicide glass-lead.

They overshot his ranking imo, he's still just a glass cannon. Poke him the wrong way and he'll still faint like that.

Oh I think he's actually not an outright Uber starter, not anything like Blaziken or such. Chestnaught is better with Bulletproof, imo, but Protean makes up for a major shortcoming as does the addition of Gunk Shot.

Pretty sure (for instance) Pumpkin shuts down Greninja like completely.

Chase17

Pokemon doesn't demo well, plus all these info could have been condensed into a 10min demo.
That's true but the segment was pretty in line with how Treehouse at E3 has been over the last few years.

Do any non fairy types learn a fairy attack move by level up? Think water/fairy would be a good type for Popplio.

Etzer

I guess people we expecting more a conference or direct format.

Eh, it's par for the course. I'm reminded of the year we had a lady talking about making the very first Yarn Yoshi or something like that. I was very interested in it, but the general responses were just as bad as what we just saw for Pokemon.

On topic, I was hoping to see a few more of them but really like the two new Pokemon we saw today. I hope Pikipek's evolutions are decent.

Daemul

Could it actually become water/fairy as soon as the 2nd evo? Popplio learned Disarming Voice at Lvl 7, which seems a bit early.

Yeah, in previous gens starters usually learnt their first stab move around that level, so Popplio learning a fairy move at this stage does suggest the mid evo will be water/fairy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man these UI changes are pretty great.

Also Popplio learns a Fairy move. Water/Fairy evo?
Popplio learns a Fairy type move, the clown within is awakening
Yeah, in previous gens starters usually learnt their first stab move around that level, so Popplio learning a fairy move at this stage does suggest the mid evo will be water/fairy.
Could it actually become water/fairy as soon as the 2nd evo? Popplio learned Disarming Voice at Lvl 7, which seems a bit early.

let me remind you guys that Chespin learns Rollout, a Rock type move, early on too, but we all know Chesnaught isn't Grass/Rock

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That's true but the segment was pretty in line with how Treehouse at E3 has been over the last few years.

Do any non fairy types learn a fairy attack move by level up? Think water/fairy would be a good type for Popplio.

Disarming Voice is generic enough since it's basically just a cuter Growl, I think it may be more representative of how, say, circus sea lions blow on those trumpets.

And quite a few non-Fairy Pokemon learn Baby Doll Eyes.

Top Bottom