• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

BTHR Zero X

Looks legit.

Does VGC have rules against power-save pokemon? Do they check if you cheated a perfect IV and such? I'd imagine they do.

Truly I only wanted one for my Living Dex, I have been playing since R/G/B and have trading up and pal parking for years. I still have my first Blaziken, and some other rarer events. But with the Online trading thing being so huge I don't really want any hacks. So currently my whole OR is pokemon that I breeded on that cart and events I was there to get myself from previous games.

Vena

FUCK I accidentally saved during my Cresselia SRing. Oh well...

*restores save back-up on a different cart and continues SRing Cresselia*

I only needed to reset-scum five times for a 31/irrelevant/31/26/31/26 Timid Kyogre, with which I was more than content! :p

Guys, if you could get something from a Pokemon Center in japan what would you get? A friend of mine is going over there and she's doing me the kindness of getting something for me and I can't decide what I should get.

Vena

On the topic of hacked pokemon, I just watched a few vids on the recent VGC nationals and a lot of bitterness over that, apparently, from said channel (versilify? or something of that sort).

Though, of course, I do agree with the larger point of the Nationals being a bog-mess of identical builds decided by nothing but coin flips. :p

I'm gonna play Omega Ruby in Korean! What could go wrong? Nothing, I say! NOTHING! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

...See guys? This is what SRing does to people.

EDIT: And my girl, So-bin, is now about to enter her room. I can't believe I'm doing this.

JoeM86

Looks legit.

Does VGC have rules against power-save pokemon? Do they check if you cheated a perfect IV and such? I'd imagine they do.

Hack check is terrible but the rules say you cannot use Pokémon that has been edited in any way. TPCi also say you can't use Pokémon that were bred from edited Pokémon.

People still do it, and they can't just block people who have a team of unlikely Pokémon (shiny Legendary Pokémon that are competitively viable...that's unlikely as hell and always raises an eyebrow when I see one).

If you're caught with an impossible Pokémon during the event, you'll be disqualified. If judges are suspicious, they'll double check.

At UK Nationals, there was one guy who hacked, but he accidentally gave his Kyogre Water Sport instead of Water Spout. Hilarious.

I wonder when NA is going to get stupid Volcanion?

My money is on August/September. TCG set coming featuring it so it makes sense

Hack check is terrible but the rules say you cannot use Pokémon that has been edited in any way. TPCi also say you can't use Pokémon that were bred from edited Pokémon.

People still do it, and they can't just block people who have a team of unlikely Pokémon (shiny Legendary Pokémon that are competitively viable...that's unlikely as hell and always raises an eyebrow when I see one).

If you're caught with an impossible Pokémon during the event, you'll be disqualified. If judges are suspicious, they'll double check.

At UK Nationals, there was one guy who hacked, but he accidentally gave his Kyogre Water Sport instead of Water Spout. Hilarious.

My money is on August/September. TCG set coming featuring it so it makes sense
Ooh, that does make sense! Thanks, I'm looking forward to it.

Anyway, all I need to finish my living Dex is Hoopa, Volcanion, and Weavile. Then after that I guess I could try getting all pentagons, which would mean re-catching most of Gen V. Not feeling the fact that most of the trade evolution items require BP.

Vena

I've made it to the first round of the E4 in ORAS on this Nuzlocke run, and I am facing them off with the following (I have a few spare pokemon in the bank this time but they are underleveled and useless to even bring):

Level 65:
sylveon.gif
Level 58:
ninetales.gif
Level 50:
skarmory.gif
Level 41:
crobat.gif

If I recall the E4 correctly from when I last played ORAS (which would be over a year ago), I think Sylveon and Ninetales can sweep the first four E4 with no trouble. Steven will probably be the problem, though, as he's Steel and Physical (and I clearly have a distinct lack in physical sweepers or bulk other than Skarmory). I'm pretty Steven is also at or higher leveled than Sylveon for his entire team, though that may be wrong.

Victory Road in ORAS was a lot easier than in XY, though, with a real noticeable lack in trainer gauntlets of Aces and Pros, and their levels really felt low.

On the topic of hacked pokemon, I just watched a few vids on the recent VGC nationals and a lot of bitterness over that, apparently, from said channel (versilify? or something of that sort).

Though, of course, I do agree with the larger point of the Nationals being a bog-mess of identical builds decided by nothing but coin flips. :p

I wouldn't take his word for anything. He has a reputation for falsely accusing people he doesn't like or know for hacking. I just saw a video of all the crap he pulled and felt scummy for supporting him.

On the hack subject..

It sucks for people who try to do things legitimately. That's the main reason I don't support or like it. Real dedication is 200 plus tries trying to get the right nature and IV's for your legendary when you have work in the morning and kids hanging onto your legs.

Other methods is just the easy way out imo.

Just had a superclutch battle spot battle where my Milotic dodged a ferrothorn's powerwhip 3 times in a row (it did hit my Aegislash in substitute a few times though, not that that really matters lol), allowing me to win 4-0

I just gave Cut to Sentret very early on in HeartGold mistakenly as i wanted to level it up to Furret first... am i screwed now/will it lose the TM after it evolves later or will it just keep it as a move then?

also: how/when do i get a Leafstone? Just caught an Oddish and it seems i could use one later on to evolve Gloom into Vileplume hmmm

Mr-Joker

Banned
Victory Road in ORAS was a lot easier than in XY, though, with a real noticeable lack in trainer gauntlets of Aces and Pros, and their levels really felt low.

Trainers in Hoenn caps round 50, which is why it feels so low as later generation raised the level cap.

I just gave Cut to Sentret very early on in HeartGold mistakenly as i wanted to level it up to Furret first... am i screwed now/will it lose the TM after it evolves later or will it just keep it as a move then?

Pokémon don't forget moves when evolving, plus Cut is an HM move and can not be easily removed till you get to the move deletor late in the game.

also: how/when do i get a Leafstone? Just caught an Oddish and it seems i could use one later on to evolve Gloom into Vileplume hmmm

You can buy a leaf stone from the Pokéathlon on Saturday for 2500 points.

Failing that one of the trainers may call you and give it to you.

Ryan_09

Just finished breeding and training a competitive Sharpedo, Wailord, and Whiscash. Cuz why not. I'm in a water-type mood right now. xD

Kinda want to breed and train a Froslass, Dusknoir, and Chimecho next. Chimecho actually has quite a nice arsenal of support moves, and its stats really aren't too awful. Could be a fun gimmick.

Though I reeeeally should be getting a team ready for the Sinnoh Classic. >_>

Growlie19

Chimecho actually has quite a nice arsenal of support moves, and its stats really aren't too awful. Could be a fun gimmick.

Do it! I bred one and battled one of my friends with it and almost swept. What I did was set up a bunch of Cosmic Powers, using Recover when necessary. When you've reached max bulk, you can either stall with Toxic and more Recover or go offensive with Stored Power. It was hilarious! Crits and Taunt ruin it and Drapion/Skuntank and Bisharp laugh at it. Still, it's totally worth it, if only to say a wind chime can be a destructive force of nature.

Ryan_09

Do it! I bred one and battled one of my friends with it and almost swept. What I did was set up a bunch of Cosmic Powers, using Recover when necessary. When you've reached max bulk, you can either stall with Toxic and more Recover or go offensive with Stored Power. It was hilarious! Crits and Taunt ruin it and Drapion/Skuntank and Bisharp laugh at it. Still, it's totally worth it, if only to say a wind chime can be a destructive force of nature.

That sounds amazing! Though for mine, I think I want to run a support set for doubles, inspired by the Lunatone used at Nationals. They have similar stats, the same ability, a similar typing without Rock's drawbacks, and similar movepool. Having access to Icy Wind, Thunderwave, Helping Hand, Gravity, Trick Room, *Heal Pulse*, Wish, Skill Swap, Knock Off, Recover, Healing Wish, Taunt, Reflect, Light Screen, Safeguard, and Heal Bell, Rain Dance, Sunny Day, and Substitute... I see a LOT of potential there. ^-^

Just checked out my competition results. Will post them after my shift. I'm very happy with them considering my cobbled together team. :)

So i just noticed that Heart Gold actually came with a Pokewalker... I didn't know that since i bought the game used a while back and only NOW got around to playing it...

Am i missing out on anything crucial by not having one or is it really just a gimmick that gives you a bunch of extra Pokemon/evolutions?

So i just noticed that Heart Gold actually came with a Pokewalker... I didn't know that since i bought the game used a while back and only NOW got around to playing it...

Am i missing out on anything crucial by not having one or is it really just a gimmick that gives you a bunch of extra Pokemon/evolutions?

your not missing out of much so don't worry

Ryan_09

Disclaimer: imgur n00b. Possible broken/large images incoming.

1,337 in US
3,762 overall out of 19,916 participants.

Kyogre and Groudon hardly got used. Usually for the occasional Icy Wind or Rock Tomb. Galvantula and Sableye were my star players. ^-^

Not bad considering I was unable to use mega evolution for this competition and this definitely was not even remotely the team I wanted to use. Landorus-T was pretty much useless... the only ones from my original team that made it over was Kyogre and Sableye.

Kyzer

Banned
So every gen is currently playable on 3DS (kinda).

Gen 1 is RBY on VC
Gen 2,4,5 is HGSS, DPPt, BW/2
Gen 3 is ORAS

Only break in connectivity will be resolved with RBY PokeBank support in Sun/Moon. Not that it mattered from a Pokemon availability standpoint (can we talk about how amazing XY was ?), but yeah. Everythings wrapped up neatly on 3DS.

still want pokemon stadium and GSC VC releases!

I thought I'd share this with you all - figured you'd appreciate it. I somehow managed to get Sammy Stephens (the Flea Market Montgomery guy, "it's just like a mini mall!", etc.) to sing the Kanto Pokerap. Just wanted to share it with PokeGAF! :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56VUql03ZnA

lmao i dont know who that is but it was still hilarious

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I was playing Pokémon Crystal and I realised how that Johto is design to make trekking back and forth the region easier and quicker.

Also I really love Johto lore and how it's told through the region and NPC.

Ryan_09

Got the shiny charm and a living dex! I feel like I just platinumed a souls game.

Congratz! :D Sums up how I felt when I completed mine. Then I started doing the Battle Resort/Maison... and Battle Institute... and breeding... and Super Secret Bases... and Wonder Trade... and daily events... and online...

I think I may have a problem... :\

Does anyone have trouble with their team while starting a rating battle? I'm not using any of the legendary pokes and the list it directs me to says I should be solid with my team.

Theorymon

Gotta say, playing Sinnoh Classic has been a lot of fun on Pokemon Showdown! Banning all gen 5-6 mons makes it dramtically different than battle spot doubles, yet similar enough where the sets you'd think work... tend to work most of the time!

Also its a metagame where both Dusclops AND Dusknoir are viable at the same time (Dusclops is the bulkier Trick Roomer, Dusknoir trades bulk for using Mental Herb for Taunt / Lum for Dark Void and the ability to Fire Punch Abomasnow and Scizor). It's also a metagame where the weather war is mainly between Rain and Hail, which feels different!

Can't wait to play the real thing in 2 weeks, hopefully this practice will help me have a better run than my recent Johto Classic disaster lol.

So i just caught a Ditto in HG... not sure what to do with it, is it supposed to be any good since it has that transforming ability? I guess it doesn't evolve so..

Wichu

So i just caught a Ditto in HG... not sure what to do with it, is it supposed to be any good since it has that transforming ability? I guess it doesn't evolve so..
Ditto's best use is for breeding. It can breed with almost any Pokémon (excluding legendaries and baby Pokémon), so you can use it to get more copies of rare Pokémon. Notably, it can even breed with Pokémon that can't normally breed due to not having females, such as Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee.

Ditto's best use is for breeding. It can breed with almost any Pokémon (excluding legendaries and baby Pokémon), so you can use it to get more copies of rare Pokémon. Notably, it can even breed with Pokémon that can't normally breed due to not having females, such as Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee.

Oh ok, i guess i don't really have much use for it then since i am just playing through the game once for the general feel/towns/story etc. i am not into breeding etc.

Still ok to fill up the Pokedex though i guess ;)

So i got to Goldenrod City now in HG and... seems like i could use a fighting type now for the gym! None in sight, then i noticed that i can trade for a Machop in the mall! After reading up on it though, it seems you can only get the highest evolution via trade ugh. Is there any use to level it up still or should i wait for another fighting type?

Also: Being the newb that i am, i don't really know about trading... i assume you can only do so with other human players, via WiFi right? And the connection is probably no longer active for such old games right?

Wichu

So i got to Goldenrod City now in HG and... seems like i could use a fighting type now for the gym! None in sight, then i noticed that i can trade for a Machop in the mall! After reading up on it though, it seems you can only get the highest evolution via trade ugh. Is there any use to level it up still or should i wait for another fighting type?

Also: Being the newb that i am, i don't really know about trading... i assume you can only do so with other human players, via WiFi right? And the connection is probably no longer active for such old games right?

Yeah, the online for DS games was turned off a while back. Machoke is still pretty strong even without trading, at least.

You can still trade face-to-face if you know someone else with a DS and a compatible game. I don't know where you live or your social groups, but you might be lucky :)

backlot

You could trade locally if you could find another player still playing the game. WiFi is no longer active for DS games. If you want to find a different fighting type maybe you could hunt down a Heracross. There aren't a whole lot of fighting types available in this game.

Just clear the routes after Goldenrod with *one* Pokémon to get its levels up. Then you can just force your way through the gym.

Eh i suppose i could use brute force and level up but...i kinda wanna do it the "right" way you know? ;)

Also: That's what i thought about the WiFi no longer being active hmmm, kinda sucks that evolution is sometimes restricted to online stuff. Do the newer games still do that? I wish the whole thing would just be unlockable in SP!

If you want to find a different fighting type maybe you could hunt down a Heracross. There aren't a whole lot of fighting types available in this game.
The thing about Heracross is that it doesn't get a fighting type move until level 19 so you gotta do some grinding.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well today's ep is pretty low key for a league ep, but as mentioned before the first two league eps are "setting the stage" for Ash's later battles.

With that said, HAWLUCHA THE MEGA WRESTLER has a great ring to it. And that Ash-Shota senpai-notices-and-acknowledges-me moment was cute. But man, Tierno was a terrible fighter. Who the fuck uses Solar Beam during the rain?

No preview because movie week next week :(

FgFUZhy.jpg

Well today's ep is pretty low key for a league ep, but as mentioned before the first two league eps are "setting the stage" for Ash's later battles.

With that said, HAWLUCHA THE MEGA WRESTLER has a great ring to it. And that Ash-Shota senpai-notices-and-acknowledges-me moment was cute. But man, Tierno was a terrible fighter. Who the fuck uses Solar Beam during the rain?

No preview because movie week next week :(

FgFUZhy.jpg
Nice line up slowly building my X team to match.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I watched Tierno VS Sawyer, good lord is Tierno fucking annoying to watch with his dancing shit I had forgotten that was his gimmick.

I will probably watch Ash vs Sawyer fight, but bail when it gets to Mega Sceptile Vs Syncho Greninja

Also: That's what i thought about the WiFi no longer being active hmmm, kinda sucks that evolution is sometimes restricted to online stuff. Do the newer games still do that? I wish the whole thing would just be unlockable in SP!

You're getting confused, you still can trade Pokémon even after the Wi-Fi is shut down via local trade meaning with two people in the same room trading with each other or in my case 1 person using two DS to trade with himself...>_> <_< >_>

Also trade evolution is a staple of the series and won't be going anywhere.

Top Bottom