• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Kyzer

Banned
wow Pokemon Go having a major impact...

I gotta say, its cool seeing everyone talk about Pokemon all over facebook!

Ruruja

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 3DS and I'm quite interested in giving the upcoming Sun & Moon game a try. I used to be a massive Pokémon fan back in the early 2000s (I guess everybody was), but the last Pokémon game I played was Gold. However I've been watching Brandon Plays Pokémon from Easy Allies and it's rekindled my passion for the series.

Would there be much difference between going from Gold to Sun than an earlier game (DS and up), or am I okay to miss the ones in between out? They don't even seem to devalue so I can't really get one on the cheap either. Is there a website that explains any world-changing things that happened in each game?

Looking forward to getting back into it though.

Gengahrrr

wow Pokemon Go having a major impact...

I gotta say, its cool seeing everyone talk about Pokemon all over facebook!

I give it two weeks to a month at the most before the app is forgotten about.

It's still a success though, if it gets people interested in the mainline games again.

Would there be much difference between going from Gold to Sun than an earlier game (DS and up), or am I okay to miss the ones in between out? They don't even seem to devalue so I can't really get one on the cheap either. Is there a website that explains any world-changing things that happened in each game?
Honestly, every Pokemon games treats the player as if this was their first time playing, and I don't think Sun/Moon will be much different. There are plenty of things that have been changed, added, and removed since Gold/Silver; but everything of relevance in Sun/Moon will be explained as you play the game. I'm assuming you don't want to get into the competitive scene or anything, which would require knowledge beyond what the game provides. But if you just want to leap back into a the world of Pokemon, you'll be fine to just pick up and play!

If nothing else, you can read some of Birdie's Pokemon RTTP, and become familiar with some of the Pokemon that have been added since Gold - which is A LOT!

GoldStarz

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 3DS and I'm quite interested in giving the upcoming Sun & Moon game a try. I used to be a massive Pokémon fan back in the early 2000s (I guess everybody was), but the last Pokémon game I played was Gold. However I've been watching Brandon Plays Pokémon from Easy Allies and it's rekindled my passion for the series.

Looking forward to getting back into it though.
Has a lot changed? OH HELL YES.
Has a lot changed story-wise though? Pokemon games are mostly disconnected from each other. That said, Platinum to B2W2 are probably the best era Pokemon in the franchise's history game-wise. You can probably skip X/Y though. Maybe play ORAS if you wanna get an idea of what you missed in Gen III

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
this won't end well will it

8c2.png

also some bunch of pokken figs

CmzrrJqVIAEYk1h.jpg

CmzrqqwUEAA-0AK.jpg

So i just got to the Pokeathlon in HG and spontaneously won the power medal. Is there any use in trying to get them all or is it really just a mini/sidegame that's meant for fun? I mean yeah i checked out the prizes you can get but is any of that actually worth putting the work in for? There's this gold orb which i have no clue what it's good for and some Metal item which reinforces steel attacks. Anything else to know here or just move on?

Mr-Joker

Banned
So i just got to the Pokeathlon in HG and spontaneously won the power medal. Is there any use in trying to get them all or is it really just a mini/sidegame that's meant for fun? I mean yeah i checked out the prizes you can get but is any of that actually worth putting the work in for? There's this gold orb which i have no clue what it's good for and some Metal item which reinforces steel attacks. Anything else to know here or just move on?

The gold orb is a Nugget and it has no purpose other than being sold at the Pokémart, just sell it.

The Metal item is a Metal Coat and it has a secondary function when attached to either Scyther or Onix then trade them and they will evolve into Scizor or Steelix. The King Rock also has a similar secondary function for Slowpoke and Poliwhirl.

But be warned if you do decided to use it to evolve the Pokémon you will lost the item now the Metal coat it doesn't really matter too much but the King Rock sometime causes flinching.

As for what prize to get, I suggest stockpiling Heartscales as they are super useful as you can later give them to a person who will reteach Pokémon moves for you as some Pokémon relearn new moves after evolving, for example Charizard can relearn Air Slash after evolving.

Ruruja

If nothing else, you can read some of Birdie's Pokemon RTTP, and become familiar with some of the Pokemon that have been added since Gold - which is A LOT!

Has a lot changed? OH HELL YES.
Has a lot changed story-wise though? Pokemon games are mostly disconnected from each other. That said, Platinum to B2W2 are probably the best era Pokemon in the franchise's history game-wise. You can probably skip X/Y though. Maybe play ORAS if you wanna get an idea of what you missed in Gen III

Thanks for the replies, I might snaffle Omega Ruby for a nice warm up then. Yeah I'm not interested in the competitive scene, I'm more of a "destroy everything with your overpowered starter" kinda guy, hopefully I can still do that.

Thanks for the replies, I might snaffle Omega Ruby for a nice warm up then. Yeah I'm not interested in the competitive scene, I'm more of a "destroy everything with your overpowered starter" kinda guy, hopefully I can still do that.

Competitive scene is fun as hell if you get past the initial barriers to entry though. You could also test out the scene by playing on pokemon showdown if you have any interest at all

I'm not convinced.

I'm PARTICULARLY unconvinced about the starter evolution artwork, which doesn't have anything to do with this rumour beyond a vague resemblance to the rumoured detailed, and which would be totally useless for its purpose. Concept art of that type is meant to show the design as it works, with constituent parts of the design pulled out for the benefit of the animators. What relevance is stuff like the kids boiling the kettle on Litten's Eco to that sort of important reference work?

Compare and contrast with this official Noivern concept art, which shows how the individual bits work in a way that's actually useful for any artists or animators that might need to know it.

kyo2004

If the leaks are true and Alola has no Gym Leaders, the chances of Ash winning the Kalos League increases... add the whole stuff of building a new League in Alola with a possibly Champion Ash and we'll get a super-interesting new anime season... xD...

Boss Doggie

Again, it's not the concept art itself which is the leak, but just the idea or concept.

See, Roothoot.

GoldStarz

Again, it's not the concept art itself which is the leak, but just the idea or concept.

See, Roothoot.

You can't honestly tell me that one way or another you don't think these are connected. Who honestly looks at Litten and goes "oh that's a wrestler!", looks at Rowlet and thinks "hey that's archer!", or looks at Popplio and says "yup that's definitely a siren/mermaid!"?

Either the 'leak' saw these designs and rolled with it or those images were themselves leaked. Usually after a period of time an artist takes credit for their fake designs but no one's taken credit for these sheets yet.

olympia

I'm not convinced.

I'm PARTICULARLY unconvinced about the starter evolution artwork, which doesn't have anything to do with this rumour beyond a vague resemblance to the rumoured detailed, and which would be totally useless for its purpose. Concept art of that type is meant to show the design as it works, with constituent parts of the design pulled out for the benefit of the animators. What relevance is stuff like the kids boiling the kettle on Litten's Eco to that sort of important reference work?

Compare and contrast with this official Noivern concept art, which shows how the individual bits work in a way that's actually useful for any artists or animators that might need to know it.

the noivern sheet is more of a bible sheet instead of a ideation concept sheet. different functionally.

Hello Pokémon Community I have a question for you.
I recently got back into the Pokémon games with Alpha Sapphire and I loved it. Now I want to get X/Y but I'd like to ask if it would make more sense to get one of those rather than the other one. Are there Pokémon that I can't catch in Alpha Sapphire but let's say e.g. I can catch them in X but not Y. So is there a version of those two that makes more sense to get If I have Alpha Sapphire.

I don't want to look at the list of Pokémon exclusive to either one of those games because I don't want to get spoilers. Because I really know nothing about X/Y so I'm very excited to play it.

WPS

Hello Pokémon Community I have a question for you.
I recently got back into the Pokémon games with Alpha Sapphire and I loved it. Now I want to get X/Y but I'd like to ask if it would make more sense to get one of those rather than the other one. Are there Pokémon that I can't catch in Alpha Sapphire but let's say e.g. I can catch them in X but not Y. So is there a version of those two that makes more sense to get If I have Alpha Sapphire.

I don't want to look at the list of Pokémon exclusive to either one of those games because I don't want to get spoilers. Because I really know nothing about X/Y so I'm very excited to play it.

At a glance, Y seems to have a few more pokémon not found in AS then X does, but it's not a huge difference, and you'll have to do some trading to catch them all anyway.

Menitta

If the leaks are true and Alola has no Gym Leaders, the chances of Ash winning the Kalos League increases... add the whole stuff of building a new League in Alola with a possibly Champion Ash and we'll get a super-interesting new anime season... xD...

Champion Ash makes a new league in Alola along with other champions...

I just want Cynthia back...

Articalys

How the heck do you find the Pokemileage club? Logged into my trainer account and don't see it.
I was going to log onto the Global Link to check where it was, but the first two times I tried it gave me the "We underestimated Pokemon Go's popularity and our servers suck, so please try again later" message, and then the third time it told me I had tried to log in too many times in the last fifteen minutes and I would be blocked for the next fifteen.

Their technical ineptitude is astounding.

Vena

So I am almost done with the Nuzlocke run on AS, but I think I am bored of the rules (and the lack of challenge at this point). I am at the Rayquaza/Deoxys fight (thankfully you don't need to SR the whole shebang to get a good SR on Deoxys) and I just can't be assed to catch it at the moment (my Sylveon one-shots him) as I used up the MBall on Timidogre.

I think I may pick-up OR soon and play it with some harder rule variations like no free switch in battle and such because, if anything, that really brakes the game in ORAS with how trainer levels crawl through the entirety of the game. Its a bit silly that Zinnia at the end of Omega is only level 62 or something after I just fought a level 70 Rayquaza and 80 Deoxys. I need to figure out what rules to set to make ORAS actually hard like I found XY to be on Nuzlocke (with far less rules, trainers were just faster to level and had better teams).

I was going to log onto the Global Link to check where it was, but the first two times I tried it gave me the "We underestimated Pokemon Go's popularity and our servers suck, so please try again later" message, and then the third time it told me I had tried to log in too many times in the last fifteen minutes and I would be blocked for the next fifteen.

Their technical ineptitude is astounding.

Yea I don't understand how they weren't prepared.

Watching xy season 2 and saw Sawyer. I like him seems like an interesting character.

Boss Doggie

so uh, data broadcast

tExYFIR.jpg

we already know Aegislash and Sceptile are for the Shota eps, and the Chespin is for the episode before the Alain fights.

Vena

Damn. I was gunning for a Hasty-Quaza...

And ended up, by whatever odds of RNG against my Synchro, with an Naughty-Quaza with 29/31/31/5/30/31

... not sure what do. That's like... real good.

Bah. Fuck it reseting it.

GoldStarz

so uh, data broadcast

tExYFIR.jpg

we already know Aegislash and Sceptile are for the Shota eps, and the Chespin is for the episode before the Alain fights.

Okay so I don't know much about what's going on right now so this is just spitballing

37 means Steven Stone shows up
38 is Alain's Charizard, maybe he switches sides here? Or maybe in 36 (would make sense if that Chespin refers to Mallon's)
39 is ????, does anyone in Team Flare have a Houndour? I think an admin does but idk
40 is probably the climax (or kick off) of the Zygarde conflict
41 is either the final return of the evil Malamar or James' Inkay evolves
42 mean Korrina????
43 obviously has something to do with Ash-Greninja. If Korrina is there maybe whatever Synchro really is is unveiled there?

Boss Doggie

37-38 are alain eps, basically it's the Ash vs Alain fight as he has a Metagross

Houndour are Flare Grunt mons

Vena

Okay, now I reset and got what I wanted and I think this is good enough after three hours of resets.

Hasty-Quaza: 17/31/31/31/17/31 /shrug

WPS

Interesting to see that, now it's vaguely important, they've started giving Shiny Gengar a much more distinct colour (light blue). This is the first time it's been portrayed like this either, so I wonder if the change will make it back to the games?

So I kinda gave up on the XY anime because I didn't want to go through all of it and was just going to start with the SM anime, but the GIFs I've been seeing of the league look great, can I still enjoy it if I just start here?

So I kinda gave up on the XY anime because I didn't want to go through all of it and was just going to start with the SM anime, but the GIFs I've been seeing of the league look great, can I still enjoy it if I just start here?
Your gonna miss out on Some emotion with the battles because of not watching the build up and the zygarde stuff should be coming to a close soon as well but I mean the league is flying by so it's up too you.

kyo2004

so uh, data broadcast

tExYFIR.jpg

Hmmm... my bet on the data...

34-35: Ash Vs. Shota
36: Mairin Chespin?
37-38: Ash Vs. Alain
39-43: Flare Zygarde Arc

About the Malamar episode (crazy theory)... what if the Evil Malamar is the true villain Boss behind Team Flare, and is controlling Lysander as puppet?

Boss Doggie

Hmmm... my bet on the data...

34-35: Ash Vs. Shota
36: Mairin Chespin?
37-38: Ash Vs. Alain
39-43: Flare Zygarde Arc

About the Malamar episode (crazy theory)... what if the Evil Malamar is the true villain Boss behind Team Flare, and is controlling Lysander as puppet?

no that's Clemont's Chespin, apparently it went off on its own during the league break and found someone "important"

Top Bottom