• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Pachimari

I'm really contemplating going through the anime starting with season 1 but I don't think I can do it. The Team Rocket segments are extremely boring. Though, I never ever got to Season 2.

Hegarol

I can not believe how mainstream Pokemon suddenly is with Go. Before I was the weird nerd for playing it with my age of 30, now everyone is playing it out on the street.
Feels great :D

Keyouta

Supposedly with Gen 6, doing a living dex shouldn't be that hard, so I'm going to give it a go. Transferred all my Pokemon from X to Omega Ruby, have about 510 seen and 400 caught. Wonder how long it will take. Has anyone here done it? What will be great is that you only have to do it once, since you will hopefully just transfer over to Sun/Moon with the Bank.

Some (I hope for his sake) hacker just put up a Hoopa for a Volcarona on GTS. Just gotta have to do some evolving, and then when Volcanion releases I'll have a true living Dex! 😁😁😁

...Hoopa is a trash Pokémon.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
First couple of arcs of Special are nice but it really gets too focused with trying to connect everything and by the end of Diamond and Pearl when Platinum came out and they started getting games yearly things got pretty bad from what I heard. Even in Gold and Silver you had rather annoying plots like the string of Gym Leaders fighting the Legendary Beasts only for them to run off, the Mask of Ice and his stupid complex motives, and the R/S arc ending with a pretty lame asspull.

"This is how I envision the world I created" that's always trotted out as proof how great Special is is something Tajiri said like around the first volume where things were pretty grounded and close to the games.

Some (I hope for his sake) hacker just put up a Hoopa for a Volcarona on GTS. Just gotta have to do some evolving, and then when Volcanion releases I'll have a true living Dex! 😁😁😁

...Hoopa is a trash Pokémon.
Any date when Volcanion will release in America?

GoldStarz

First couple of arcs of Special are nice but it really gets too focused with trying to connect everything and by the end of Diamond and Pearl when Platinum came out and they started getting games yearly things got pretty bad from what I heard. Even in Gold and Silver you had rather annoying plots like the string of Gym Leaders fighting the Legendary Beasts only for them to run off, the Mask of Ice and his stupid complex motives, and the R/S arc ending with a pretty lame asspull.

"This is how I envision the world I created" that's always trotted out as proof how great Special is is something Tajiri said like around the first volume where things were pretty grounded and close to the games.

Are you implying that gym leaders being crucified and people gambling over which legendary beast would win in a fight and subsequently destroy the region wasn't part of Tajiri's original vision for Pokemon?! /s

Also, I finished Pokemon XY and am about to start XYZ. Gotta say so far the battles do look really nice and the Olympia battle was an appropriate 'finale' for XY. I really can't say I like Showcases though, they seem really shallow and I don't get why they didn't just have contests make a return, given how late they were when they started the Showcase thing they could've easily gone with that. I really don't like how it's all "oh it's shows your bond with your Pokemon", but really it's just an idol competition where the competitor is the focus over their Pokemon. Also do any of the rivals actually amount to anything, the only one to do anything substantial so far is Shauna who won against Serena so that she could have her big (actually kinda minor) first failure but so far Serena has won both of her Performances against her rivals with one of them being knocked out in the first round.

I'm really contemplating going through the anime starting with season 1 but I don't think I can do it. The Team Rocket segments are extremely boring. Though, I never ever got to Season 2.

I've fallen down such a hole thanks to Pokemon Go. Started the anime from S1 a few days ago, I'm up to episode 22. They go super fast. I keep them on in the background while I replay Pokemon Black, lol

Also, once I catch up on S1 on Netflix, what's the best way to watch the rest? So far, it looks like Pokemon Fire has the best quality, yes?

Vena

So... what are the odds:

Getting a flawless (ironically) Snivy... with Overgrow from two parents with 5IVs and 3IVs perfect.

And then the second egg that hatches is also flawless Snivy... with Contrary from same said parents.

I almost want to see if the third egg is also somehow perfect so that I can rename the two parents (Seviper, Snivy) as hackers. (Also does anyone want a perfect Snivy with Overgrow?)

Thought I am not sure if I should be happy or said about flawless IVs anymore, especially on a spec-sweeper like Serperior and with the prominence of Foul Play.

MAtgS

Ash finally winning a league feels so surreal, particular in that XY has been rather anti-continuity with little to no references to the past regions so far. Like the history of Ash's journey should've been played up more to build up to this.

Kyzer

Banned
Damn, me falling into all this Pokémon GO hype ruin my story play threw of Pokémon Y.

Now I have to breed a perfect IV new team and bother Pad Warrior and Kyzer to transfer my eggs over for a new play threw.
:D

I can't wait until Sun and Moon are released.I need something more than what X and Y brought to the table but with character customization. I need a new adventure.

Anyone here run a mix Protean Greninja or mix Mega Lucario? If you do what nature, EV spread, and moves did you use?

I've never bred for a mix Pokémon or trained one.

Yay more breedjects for me??

Id also like advice on how to go about training and using mixed attackers

Busaiku

Ash finally winning a league feels so surreal, particular in that XY has been rather anti-continuity with little to no references to the past regions so far. Like the history of Ash's journey should've been played up more to build up to this.
Maybe this is the dream of a Komalla.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Are you going to say this every day until they come? No one is expecting their names any time real soon. They'll get here when they do, probably after GameFreak announces it's next batch of reveals

it was consistent until E3 though

Menitta

Now I bet those Sun/Moon leaks are true with this happening. It's an exciting time to be a Pokemon fan.

Yay more breedjects for me??

Id also like advice on how to go about training and using mixed attackers

Ofcourse.. though I still haven't thought of what Pokémon I want to breed for a fresh play threw besides a Dratini.

I have a physical Greninja and spacial Greninja already. I thought maybe I'll do a mix Greninja this time but I'm not sure on Nature and EV spread. I'm also wondering of a effective mix Mega Lucario also.

So even though Sun/Moon's QR codes are region locked, it looks like they aren't a one-time use and can be scanned by multiple people. At least that's how I'm reading it.

Doing a play thru of X I currently have the team ash is using and giving them their moves from the anime. Been fun playing it this way. Aerial ace on my adamant/physical greninja works really well agains the cpu. And my gosh playing with Hawlucha is fun. Just a few more levels away from making noibat Noivern. About to battle clemont next.

Side not pikachu is so weak in this game. Seems like two hits and he done.

Vena

So does Serperior have actual limbs or not...? Its hard for me to tell if those things on the side are supposed to be arms or just leaves.

I just watched the episode where
Ash releases butterfree
:( the feels

The part where Ash Misty and Brock imitates the team rocket speech made me laugh.

Vena

Well Seperior has a regal theme, so its arms being behind it's back kind of makes sense.

Ooh that's a good point. If I look at it with that mindset, it does appear like he's got his arms crossed (well sort of anyway) behind his back.

Seems he definitely looses his legs from Servine/Snivy though.

I think they're vestigial arms. Leftovers from earlier evolutions that don't really work anymore. (Well at least I think "vestigial" is the right word at least...)

So did Ash and Pikachu kinda die in the Ghost Tower episode? Lol. Kinda mad Haunter didn't stay with the crew, but it's fitting that he stay with Sabrina.

edit: My god Ash is dumb. Gotta admit it's a little annoying when I can think of obvious strategies on how to go about something that Ash just seems completely oblivious two. It's always thundershock thundershock thunderbolt thundershock with him. Coulda tried something different on that Primeape with Pikachu, like using Agility to confuse him and then Quick Attack or something. He randomly used agility and quick attack on Lt Surge and then never again (so far).

And then he cycles through Squirtle, Bulbasaur & Charmander trying to hurt this Primeape, when he coulda just used Pidgeotto for the type advantage if he knew anything, but he never even bothered to bring him out. had me like what the

I heard Ash in the new series is smart so I'm looking forward to that, whenever I get to it. I'm sure I'll finish the Indigo League, but then I'm going to see how far I can get with the rest of the series before stopping. If I do stop somewhere, I'll skip straight to XY.

So did Ash and Pikachu kinda die in the Ghost Tower episode? Lol. Kinda mad Haunter didn't stay with the crew, but it's fitting that he stay with Sabrina.

edit: My god Ash is dumb. Gotta admit it's a little annoying when I can think of obvious strategies on how to go about something that Ash just seems completely oblivious two. It's always thundershock thundershock thunderbolt thundershock with him. Coulda tried something different on that Primeape with Pikachu, like using Agility to confuse him and then Quick Attack or something. He randomly used agility and quick attack on Lt Surge and then never again (so far).

And then he cycles through Squirtle, Bulbasaur & Charmander trying to hurt this Primeape, when he coulda just used Pidgeotto for the type advantage if he knew anything, but he never even bothered to bring him out. had me like what the

I heard Ash in the new series is smart so I'm looking forward to that, whenever I get to it. I'm sure I'll finish the Indigo League, but then I'm going to see how far I can get with the rest of the series before stopping. If I do stop somewhere, I'll skip straight to XY.

yep welcome to OS anime fights, they aren't that good

as for ash getting better, he has a slow progression throughout the series (not counting BW) so in AG he is better but you really don't see him becoming good till DP

also get used ash just ignoring type advantage and disadvantages, it's something that doesn't go away

Kyzer

Banned
Maybe this is the dream of a Komalla.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

So did Ash and Pikachu kinda die in the Ghost Tower episode? Lol.

Ha, I'm going through the series again myself (no idea how far I'll get). Just recently wached this one too - pretty insane that him and Pikachu straight up die from a crashing chandelier, lol. Good thing Haunter is a bro.

Just watched the episode where the Hypno is making kids think they're pokemon. There's a part where Team Rocket makes Hypno do his hypnosis into a mirror, and ash throws something at the mirror to break it. So instead they just tie a rope around the pokemon and try to take them. James says "Why didn't we just do this in the first place?" and then Jessie is like "We needed to fill 30 minutes".

That 4th wall.

yep welcome to OS anime fights, they aren't that good

as for ash getting better, he has a slow progression throughout the series (not counting BW) so in AG he is better but you really don't see him becoming good till DP

also get used ash just ignoring type advantage and disadvantages, it's something that doesn't go away

I remember him at least training more in some of the later seasons. Right now it seems like he just captures pokemon and puts them into battle right away lol. I guess you could say he trains off screen because I don't know how else he'd automatically know what attacks certain Pokemon could do.

I watched off and on to somewhere through DP and stopped (this was a long time ago), so I recall a little bit.

Kwixotik

Repost from anime thread

Since Pokemon Go came out, my fiancée has been obsessed with pokemon. She didn't play or watch it when she was a kid because she was a Jehovahs Witness and wasn't allowed. Anyway we're watching Indigo League and she's playing Fire Red and it's been fun to reexperience for me.

I'm thinking about getting back into the games myself. I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the new pokemon though. I'd probably need to start by replaying Silver.

Just watched the episode where Ash gets the Soul Badge.

Koga wanted a 2 on 2 battle. Ok, so Venomoth beats Ash's charmander, and then Team Rocket busts in and interferes the whole thing for a bit. At the end of the episode when they fight again, Ash only beats one pokemon (his Golbat) and gets the badge after that. Venomoth was never defeated. Ash only beat one Pokemon. Koga fucked up.

This is the second time now where a gym leader threw out a Pokemon for it to just evolve. At least with Sabrina's Abra, some things happened first. With Koga, he brought out Venonat and he evolved into Venomoth right away like he was expecting it to happen. Kinda strange but funny.

Only badge that feels legit so far is the one from Lt Surge lol.

diaspora

Repost from anime thread

Since Pokemon Go came out, my fiancée has been obsessed with pokemon. She didn't play or watch it when she was a kid because she was a Jehovahs Witness and wasn't allowed. Anyway we're watching Indigo League and she's playing Fire Red and it's been fun to reexperience for me.

I'm thinking about getting back into the games myself. I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the new pokemon though. I'd probably need to start by replaying Silver.

Licensing out IP's for brand awareness at work. Not a bad thing by any means, more eyeballs on the games, the better imo. If only gamefreak didn't arbitrary place restrictions on screenshots for X and Y...

Top Bottom